Reminiscing my youth

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NannyPatty

nannypattyrn
Neighbor
A lot of you are my age give or take a few (68). We had guests last night for supper and enjoyed a game of dominoes and a meal. It was very enjoyable. I got to thinking of my growing up years when times and customs were much slower or it seemed that way. This was a time when both people in the same household didn’t work and managed just fine. They raised large families before clothes styles and fashion was even thought about. They grew and raised their own food. They got things done and hadtime to visit and enjoy friends and family who dropped by just to visit. They knew each other face to face rather than through social media. Many didn’t even own a TV or a phone. I remember catching fireflies and putting them in canning jar for flashlights. Many times just playing barefoot in the yard until dark and it was time for bed. As a young teen sitting out in the garden with my dad just talking, maybe about nothing. Church was a given, family reunions looked forward to. Homemade ice cream in the dusk with children playing. Our society doesn’t know how to do this anymore and it makes for a somewhat lonely existence. I miss those days. I posted on another website that my home was open and welcomed guests. If they called before coming my house I would have it cleaned and ready, but if you just drop by then expect dishes in the sink , shoes in the floor. That’s the real us just living life the best way we know how one day at a time.

You've reminded me of a newspaper clipping on my fridge written by an Amish lady in Ohio. It's called Rediscover the Art of Visiting:
She says, "I recently read a small article in a magazine entitled, "Rediscover the Art of Visitng" My first thought, as I pictured in my head the computer and all the so called social media devices, was HOW SAD that in the English world people have come to a place where they don't know how to communicate with each other and how to visit. They will sit for hours in front of a screen, pushing buttons to take the place of face to face communications - an almost lost "art". Children know little or nothing about old fashioned relationships and friendships. Most people talk on their cell phones non stop no matter where they are; and those of us who don't, are forced to listen to conversations we have no desire to hear. Rudeness abounds and manners are non existent. Heaven help us all as this kind of future continues.

I hear you Nanny!

Actually my sis and I were talking about our circle of friends over the weekend as we sat next to the camp fire. There are very few folks I trust with personal information anymore and I can't tolerate stupid drama! Most of the people I know that always have bad things happen to them bring it upon themselves with their stupid decisions and then wonder, why them?....but I digress. I was also talking to my nephew who's in his 20's and he was saying the same thing. He and his fiance' have a very small circle of friends b/c of other's drama. I think our digital media has a LOT to do with it. We don't have to communicate anymore to get information, we just turn on the computer and search for it. We don't have to ask how to fix something.....just search for it. The problem with that is....you lose out on the conversation, the bonding, the stories, and the friendships made while engaging in that conversation with another human! You generally get more information than what you intended for when speaking with a human rather than looking it up online. Those relationships were what used to keep our society intact. Now everyone thinks they can do everything on their own and have no use for others. Yeah, you might be able to avoid crappy people that way, but you also avoid the good ones too. And, either way, you should learn how to deal with both of them. It's how we stay civil in this changing world of lost civility. Not engaging in conversations with others likely make people more lonely. The computer has helped with self sufficiency to an extent, but IMHO, has made people more lonely.....and most don't even realize it. I'm sure I've lost out on some friendships b/c I get much of my information online, but I am slowing changing that as I get older and have more time. In fact, I have a plan to visit some folks real soon and ask lots of questions about gardening. DH knows some good people that would love to have a visit. However, we will call first as I find it incredibly rude to just show up at someones home without calling first.

When growing up I remember spending a lot of time entertaining myself. After chores were done (and they had better be done by the time dad got home!) I would go fishing, ride my bike, play with barbies and hot wheels and marbles, play basketball, practice with my bow, read Hardy Boys books, play with the dogs, play board games, etc. I don't remember being bored all that much. It was just before video games became big. Yeah, we had a TV.....it got 4 channels....the big 3 and PBS. There usually wasn't a whole lot to watch and my parents wouldn't allow it on during the day while they were home anyways. I really looked forward to Saturday morning cartoons:) But after cartoons were done, it would be time to go outside and help haul and stack firewood.

Being a rebel was something different back then. Some kids in school would go "all out" and smoke pot, but I was content to score some beer on the weekend with a pack of smokes and cruise our small town with an old Chevy pickup truck and meet up with friends at an old barn for a party. That is innocent child's play these days. I look back at my childhood and adolescence and have very fond memories and wish that everyone could have had the same experiences I did. It wasn't perfect, but nothing in life is. I was very fortunate to have the family and opportunities that I had. I'm a nostalgic gal and I think the fond memories of growing up made me that way. Good times!

I might add that no one worried about mosquito bites or ticks back then either. The sand burs were painful, but it didn't stop us. No shoes except to church from May to September. Never though twice about drinking from a hose, well, or even the rivers on our area.

I might add that no one worried about mosquito bites or ticks back then either. The sand burs were painful, but it didn't stop us. No shoes except to church from May to September. Never though twice about drinking from a hose, well, or even the rivers on our area.

Stumped a many a toe on rocks going bare feet. We had shoes we just liked going bare feet or lost one.

I hear you Nanny!

Actually my sis and I were talking about our circle of friends over the weekend as we sat next to the camp fire. There are very few folks I trust with personal information anymore and I can't tolerate stupid drama! Most of the people I know that always have bad things happen to them bring it upon themselves with their stupid decisions and then wonder, why them?....but I digress. I was also talking to my nephew who's in his 20's and he was saying the same thing. He and his fiance' have a very small circle of friends b/c of other's drama. I think our digital media has a LOT to do with it. We don't have to communicate anymore to get information, we just turn on the computer and search for it. We don't have to ask how to fix something.....just search for it. The problem with that is....you lose out on the conversation, the bonding, the stories, and the friendships made while engaging in that conversation with another human! You generally get more information than what you intended for when speaking with a human rather than looking it up online. Those relationships were what used to keep our society intact. Now everyone thinks they can do everything on their own and have no use for others. Yeah, you might be able to avoid crappy people that way, but you also avoid the good ones too. And, either way, you should learn how to deal with both of them. It's how we stay civil in this changing world of lost civility. Not engaging in conversations with others likely make people more lonely. The computer has helped with self sufficiency to an extent, but IMHO, has made people more lonely.....and most don't even realize it. I'm sure I've lost out on some friendships b/c I get much of my information online, but I am slowing changing that as I get older and have more time. In fact, I have a plan to visit some folks real soon and ask lots of questions about gardening. DH knows some good people that would love to have a visit. However, we will call first as I find it incredibly rude to just show up at someones home without calling first.

When growing up I remember spending a lot of time entertaining myself. After chores were done (and they had better be done by the time dad got home!) I would go fishing, ride my bike, play with barbies and hot wheels and marbles, play basketball, practice with my bow, read Hardy Boys books, play with the dogs, play board games, etc. I don't remember being bored all that much. It was just before video games became big. Yeah, we had a TV.....it got 4 channels....the big 3 and PBS. There usually wasn't a whole lot to watch and my parents wouldn't allow it on during the day while they were home anyways. I really looked forward to Saturday morning cartoons:) But after cartoons were done, it would be time to go outside and help haul and stack firewood.

Being a rebel was something different back then. Some kids in school would go "all out" and smoke pot, but I was content to score some beer on the weekend with a pack of smokes and cruise our small town with an old Chevy pickup truck and meet up with friends at an old barn for a party. That is innocent child's play these days. I look back at my childhood and adolescence and have very fond memories and wish that everyone could have had the same experiences I did. It wasn't perfect, but nothing in life is. I was very fortunate to have the family and opportunities that I had. I'm a nostalgic gal and I think the fond memories of growing up made me that way. Good times!

We played board games Monopoly, Clue, Scrabble, and we were always running through the woods, swimming in our lake or riding donkeys and building tree huts.
And had a coupel good friends and many associates to talk to .

We didn’t have a lake but we went camping several times. Remember catching tadpoles in big puddles after a good rain. I could climb a tree like a monkey. We “built” pretend houses by outlining rooms with the plentiful rocks around under trees. Some of them are still there to this day. I would ride my horse for hours on end in the back country.

A lot of you are my age give or take a few (68). We had guests last night for supper and enjoyed a game of dominoes and a meal. It was very enjoyable. I got to thinking of my growing up years when times and customs were much slower or it seemed that way. ….

I'll be 68 tomorrow and I know exactly what you're talking about. I grew up in a little town with a population of under 1800 people. In the summer, we kids from all over the neighborhood would play outside until way after dark. Parents just left the front door open or sat on the front porch and could hear all of us kids laughing and squealing while we played hide 'n seek or swing the statue. Nobody was worried about us not being safe and when it was time to come in, they'd just yell into the dark for us. We had spontaneous get togethers and came as we were. I remember my uncle putting a huge watermelon from his garden into a tub of water in the shade and it got good and cold. We gathered around in the evening and everybody had a piece while the grown ups talked and we kids ran wild. That was some pretty fancy entertaining - and it was free!

Latest posts

Back