Remodeling late 1800s cabin

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABR

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
On my families property is the cabin my grandpa was born in. Best estimate it was built in the 1870s-ish with wood from an old cotton gin. It's been used as junk storage for the past 50-60ish years after the newer house was built. I've started talking to my grandparents about maybe letting me remodel it to live in. Would definitely have to run water and electric because it's never had any and siding needs replacing. Sometime in the 1930s they put what looks like extra large shingles on the exterior walls. Tin roof is still solid best I can tell. Would certainly be a lot of work but I see a lot of potential for it. Grew up with a contractor father so have basic construction knowledge and can ask him for advice as well. Don't think he's done any building with such an old house.

Anyone have experience with such old remodel/construction?

There is another thread around here, I think either (or both) @Alaskajohn or @randyt - someone was building &/or refurbished one. Also @Cabin Fever lives in one though newer.
If you’ve not seen Noah Bradley’s site, lots of great info there as well.
What an asset and family treasure!

On my families property is the cabin my grandpa was born in. Best estimate it was built in the 1870s-ish with wood from an old cotton gin. It's been used as junk storage for the past 50-60ish years after the newer house was built. I've started talking to my grandparents about maybe letting me remodel it to live in. Would definitely have to run water and electric because it's never had any and siding needs replacing. Sometime in the 1930s they put what looks like extra large shingles on the exterior walls. Tin roof is still solid best I can tell. Would certainly be a lot of work but I see a lot of potential for it. Grew up with a contractor father so have basic construction knowledge and can ask him for advice as well. Don't think he's done any building with such an old house.

Anyone have experience with such old remodel/construction?
We have been working on a place over 100 years old that we got dirt cheap but needed a lot of work. We hand dug the basement to control the water intake. Lifted each wall and replaced rotting and termite damaged sill plates. If we had been paying anyone else it wouldn't be worth it.

Check the foundation and check for rot and insect damage. Those could make the difference between a fix it up or tear down and build again.

Ben

A lot of work, it has to be a labor of love. It will cost you twice what building new will, as well as present you with many, many PITA situations to work with/around.

I bought a 24’ x 28’, 2 story, balloon framed, abandoned 1856 farmhouse in NE PA. The walls on the first floor were so thick that the hardwood flooring, put in, in the 1930’s (we estimated by a car license plate under it) stopped 2.5 inches from the 1” thick Hemlock boards on the studs.

I did a 100% gutting, right down to stud walls. Jacked the main flooring beams up to near level (they were used barn timbers so that much older than the house!). New 200 amp service, new well pump, all new electric, plumbing, insulation….. Built my own kitchen cabinets out of an old horse barn I tore down (Mixed #3 hardwood) refinished the hardwood floors, put really nice sand-spackle designs on the ceilings around the single light in every room (Beautiful old timey look!). Bricked in two kitchen walls using recovered bricks and put a wood cookstove I refurbished there. … … It was going to be my forever home, so did everything up just the way I wanted it. You walked in, it looked and felt like an 1860’s farmhouse. I lived there while I was working on it. Thought I could save some money doing that and all the work myself. Ha… talk about learning a lesson the hard way! 😊

Everything took twice as much time… and money... because you were having to work around what was there. You could not just put up a wall, you had to take down what was there before, patch things up, then put a wall in. You are cutting out and replacing a lot of timber. You also had to match it up to existing, which was never plumb or square. You simply cannot square up a house that old, you have to put in anything new with a certain ‘slant’ using existing lines or it looks really out of place.

You put in a new door, square in the frame and step back, it looks like it is wrong judging by everything else around it. You look at the gap between the top molding and the ceiling, there is 2” on one side and 3” on the other. The bottom of the door has ½” gap on the jam side and 1 ½ on the latch side. All the other lines in the room match up (as they have all settled together) but your door looks wrong. You have to work with it to make it fit in, so it functions and is visually appealing. Your new door is going to have to be shaved down to out of square, but still function and not be a ghost door.

Am I glad I did it? Yes, very much so! I had a lot of fun and really learned a lot about remodeling. I honed some valuable skills there that made me money over the years.

Would I do it again” No! NO friggin way! Someone could never pay me enough to tackle another job like that. I could build my own for a lot less and the end result would be almost the same… The new one everything would be square is the only difference!

My cabin wasn’t of the vintage as the OPs as it was built in the 1960s and had electricity. An owner subsequent to the original homesteader put in a well, a septic and plumbed it for summer water use, but it needed to be converted back to a dry cabin when the temperature dropped below freezing which is the majority of the year. Dry cabin means no running water or septic.

After several years of spending the winter months without running water or septic use, we decided to spend the money to allow for year round water use. We needed to add a basement under the cabin. This involved hiring a contractor to lift the cabin, dig a 10 foot deep basement, and poor a concrete basement using ICF. Because of our remote location, this was very expensive.

We still have to be very careful, but we have year round water and septic. I am sure we are violating typical codes, but where we live building codes don’t exist. The OP may not have this luxury.

We have done a host of other renovations and additions. With the OPs being a bit older, perhaps a good home inspector could help with a full understanding of all of the challenges ahead. Then decide if it’s worth the expense and effort. If so, plan a logical plan of attack. Sounds like a fun, multi year project!

Last edited:
I want to try to preserve the family history with it. Would be a long-term project, piece by piece doing it all myself. I've thought about it for years, and now that I've lost the love of my life I need a lasting distraction.

I want to try to preserve the family history with it. Would be a long-term project, piece by piece doing it all myself. I've thought about it for years, and now that I've lost the love of my life I need a lasting distraction.
Go for it!

I did 2 handyman specials before the one I mentioned above.

First became our home and saved the rent The Princess had been paying. Those saving paid for the second which we rented out that all went into savings.

As long as you are willing to live in some construction sites as the work progresses it could work for you as it worked for us.

The house inspector is a good idea about the challenges ahead of tou.

Ben

Latest posts

Back