Removing Siri

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have a MacBook Pro and I'd like to remove Siri from the computer. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Windows 10 turns it back on during updates.
ever think she was off and you talk in your sleep and wake up to crazy crap on your PC?
Or how about when she cackles like a serial killer in the middle of the night for no reason?

Last edited by a moderator:
You could load Linux on it. Choose wipe the disk and load only Linux.

Thanks, I've already turned the voice off, supposedly. There is an icon that I can't deactivate. Just turning it off doesn't seem to work the icon is still active. I'd like to totally remove it from my computer. I have changed the language. I've done everything I can think of, I just want it gone.
I would concentrate on getting good at turning the microphone off.
There are many more 'things' listening to the words spoken in your room than just Siri.
Without the microphone, Siri becomes powerless.
If other programs are nice, you get a popup saying to please turn the Mic on.
Others are not so nice and turn it back on, and leave it on; even some that just edit text documents.
The live microphone is your security concern.
How do I know?
If I'm in front of my tablet and DW comes in and we are discussing something, and it magically appears in the Google ads on pages I am looking at, it is not a coincidence :mad:.
It is time to turn the Mic off again:(.

Thanks Supervisor, I double checked and my microphone is turned all the way down.
My Kindle Fire came with Alexa on it. It kept asking me to install it and I refused, so it installed it while I was sleeping. :mad:
I went into 'remove programs' and it was greyed out. I clicked on it and it said it couldn't remove it because it is "part of the operating system":(.
So every now and then I yell "HEY ALEXA!!!" at it.
Yep, she's still dead.:thumbs: ...(I mean deaf)

Last edited:
P.S. I changed Siri to a non English language. I don't trust that any of what I do works.
Won't work, it can tell the difference. want to have fun? get a person with a bad southern accent or boy from the hood to talk to it, it goes berserk!
Siri don't do dialects it seems.
Go watch this guys stuff, he's a guru!

If you're worried about things tracking you, you need to disconnect your keyboard and mouse, and disable networking as well. Those are more commonly used for tracking. Replacing your computer with a notepad and pencil is probably best. Be sure and lock the notepad up when you're not using it. Don't use your cable or satellite TV, and most certainly don't stream anything. No credit cards either. And don't drive your car if it's newer than ten years old or so.

If you're worried about things tracking you, you need to disconnect your keyboard and mouse, and disable networking as well. Those are more commonly used for tracking. Replacing your computer with a notepad and pencil is probably best. Be sure and lock the notepad up when you're not using it. Don't use your cable or satellite TV, and most certainly don't stream anything. No credit cards either. And don't drive your car if it's newer than ten years old or so.
^^ This is the correct answer. ^^

I'm OK using a computer, but keep it off the internet. Amazon echoes and Google whatevers need to go. Smart devices - including televisions - need to go. Webcams, mics, smartphones all need to go. Pay cash for everything. If your car has no "phone-home" or remote-kill capability, it might be OK.

Web cam on computer is taped over as of day one. No smart TV. Tried to turn off microphone on computer, who knows. No Alexa type device. Older vehicles.

Web cam on computer is taped over as of day one. No smart TV. Tried to turn off microphone on computer, who knows. No Alexa type device. Older vehicles.
Well I have to be the "devil's-advocate" and say not all microphones are bad.
If I want to make a short video clip and upload it, using my tablet to shoot it is so much easier. Just shoot and send.:thumbs:
Of course videos need sound from your mic so they aren't stupid.
I just have to remember to turn it back off.
(Here are our 75mph hurricane winds>---:dancing:). Silly, right?

Of course, I could do it safely too. I just have to:
A. Break out my camera and shoot the video.
B. Find the kerosene-can and the crank-rope to fire up my dinosaur pc:(.
C. Put the SD card from the camera into the pc.
D. Deal with 10 popup boxes about 'critical updates' that MUST be done first:mad:.
E. Copy from SD card to pc.
F. Find out that EVERY login I have, has expired and break out my spiral-notebook to look up passwords that I never have to type in on the tablet.
G. Send the video.

Maybe remembering to turn the microphone back off on the tablet ain't that hard.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Neb
If you want privacy, ask hackers.
Use a cookie cruncher and cache cleaner daily.
Run Avast or Dogpile.
Install Linux on a thumb drive and use it when you're doing things you might get pegged for.
Install a VPN and or a blocker Zone Labs used to be the best and had both built into their antivirus program, run those off the same drive.
Install an I.P tracer so you can block snoopers, be aware if you game, STEAMing pile will give you fits until you declare it god.
Turn off ALL of windows snoopware.
Unplug your mic and camera, install them on a breaker bar and kill them at the same time with a flip of the switch or unplug.
Invest in a quality, solid state external drive, install a separate antivirus on it set to run and update every time its hooked up.
When you're done, store it in a steel ammo can lined with padding, once every six months, back everything up to CD or spare thumb drive and erase it, do a deep format and use a data grinder. save a copy of its base OS though, the grinders kill all.

Back