1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.
    Dismiss Notice

Removing stuck case in the sizer

Discussion in 'Ammo, Reloading & Gunsmithing' started by SheepDog, Feb 14, 2020.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Feb 14, 2020 #1

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Years ago I bought an RCBS extractor kit but I never liked it. I think I've had to use it twice in the last 45 years,maybe three times. Any way I decided I was going to make one that could pull the case past the expansion plug of the die. I drew up a design and then looked it over and modified it a few times until I was sure it would do the job. I found out I didn't have steel rod the right size and was going to go to get some when I saw a piece of heavy walled tubing that might be made to work.
    More modifications because instead of one piece I had to build a cap for the tube to reduce it down to 1/4" for the threaded rod. OK, I cut the tube, dressed the ends and reamed it to the right diameter and then made the head out of a bit of brass that I had. Not only does it work but it has a touch of class! Extractor01.jpg Extractor02.jpg

ssonb, Sentry18, Curmudgeon and 3 others like this.
  2. Feb 18, 2020 at 1:06 AM #2

SheepDog

SheepDog

SheepDog

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

I made a second one and press fit the brass top so it is only three pieces now. The second one is long enough to pull a 3006 case free of the die and the expander ball. The first one will do that for cases up to 308 or a little longer. I also cut new threaded rod for both so they are not as long as the picture shows. The rods are only about half an inch longer than the assembled barrel and cap. The usable barrel on the first is about 1-3/4 inches while the barrel on the second has a usable length of 2-3/4 inches. It will handle any of the belted magnums.

Sentry18 and Caribou like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted