Renting land/Homestead

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buster1903

Friend
Neighbor
I am renting an apartment in New Jersey. Homesteading is a dream I am working towards. But saving $$$ for this dream with the inflating costs of living and land is a little like paddling upstream against the current, I’m getting there but it’s not easy.
While my apartment isn’t bad, in fact it has a great view, but I don’t have a single square foot earth to put a shovel in. No problems with the landlord but he really doesn’t care who lives here as long as he gets the rent.
I can’t help but think there’s better situation.

I know there would be a lot hurtles to overcome, price, location, compatibility, and more. I would much rather be giving my rent money helping someone else with their similar dreams.

Do any of you rent your Homestead or similar?

Do any of you rent out a piece of your land/Homestead/small farm?

I’m really just looking for advice and ideas about where to start looking for a rental situation that would work better for me. I think it’s an idea worth researching.

I am renting an apartment in New Jersey. Homesteading is a dream I am working towards. But saving $$$ for this dream with the inflating costs of living and land is a little like paddling upstream against the current, I’m getting there but it’s not easy.
While my apartment isn’t bad, in fact it has a great view, but I don’t have a single square foot earth to put a shovel in. No problems with the landlord but he really doesn’t care who lives here as long as he gets the rent.
I can’t help but think there’s better situation.

I know there would be a lot hurtles to overcome, price, location, compatibility, and more. I would much rather be giving my rent money helping someone else with their similar dreams.

Do any of you rent your Homestead or similar?

Do any of you rent out a piece of your land/Homestead/small farm?

I’m really just looking for advice and ideas about where to start looking for a rental situation that would work better for me. I think it’s an idea worth researching.
I do not rent but have known that people do rent and some have animals and grow a garden. I think the best way to do this is to look for homes in your area or other areas if you want to move and be open and honest with homeowners on what you want to do. Most importantly is to respect those you rent from in the future. Open communication is something that has to happen and just explain everything you want to do. Don't leave anything out so they will know where you are coming from. They will either agree or not. Either way you will find something great, or you will have to continue to look. I hope you find something great where you can start homesteading. Good luck.

Last edited:
I don't rent or lease land because I don't want folks to know it's there. If I was a renter it wouldn't be my property.

In my area, central Iowa, acreages can be rented fairly cheap - if you're willing to put up with an old rickety farm house. Properties with a newer, more solid house cost a lot more. Typically the acreages have space for a garden either way. The more acres, the more the upkeep. You need a big mower, equipment to move snow, etc. Another consideration is that a lot of people aren't willing to rent to an "outsider". It helps to know people...

Same for my area, you can rent places where you can have a garden and critters. Whether you'd want to live there is another story. Properties with no house are more plentiful. Word of warning about the distance from where you live to a garden property you might rent.

1) If it's much more than a mile or so it becomes a logistical pain in the butt. There further away the bigger the pain.

2) you'll probably want to leave garden tools at the garden... Then theft and/or isolation become a very real issue. How do you secure them?

3) Do you own a truck? A tiller in the back seat of your car makes a mess, gas fumes aren't pleasant either. A car is impractical for remote gardening.

The last few years dad and I raised cattle I leased a couple remote hay fields. Moving tractors, hay balers, mowers... hauling 70 rolls of hay back to the farm several times a year? A royal pain in the butt!!!

There were a couple people here looking for sincere, hardworking and honest folks to help them out. To my knowledge of they have not found that rare combination. If I recall one of them was @montanabill but I could be wrong.
I di recall that thread but don't remember rhe title or who.

Ben

And I remember when land was free.

Everything in my nature goes against rentals... it's money you never recoup, ya know? I'd look into low-priced parcels of land in rural areas and see what kind of deal you could swing with the sellers... some owners will "carry" and help buyers who otherwise have good references. Barring that, I'd say save your money until you have enough to buy, maybe at an auction or something... just my $.02 on the subject, as there can be so many problems with rentals. Once the property is yours, you can do whatever you like with it, within zoning law and reason. :rolleyes:

be open and honest with homeowners on what you want to do. Most importantly is to respect those you rent from in the future. Open communication is something that has to happen and just explain everything you want to do.
Thanks Faith, I have no desire to deceive anyone, that’s a terrible way to start any relationship. I could go looking for a small house and a little land with it that’s within my budget. All I’m really looking for is room for chickens and a garden. Remember I’m new at all this stuff. I am not expecting to earn a living with any of this anytime soon. I am viewing it like a hobby at least at first.
In my area, central Iowa, acreages can be rented fairly cheap - if you're willing to put up with an old rickety farm house. Properties with a newer, more solid house cost a lot more. Typically the acreages have space for a garden either way. The more acres, the more the upkeep. You need a big mower, equipment to move snow, etc. Another consideration is that a lot of people aren't willing to rent to an "outsider". It helps to know people...
I’ve done quite a bit of traveling in the lower 48 over the past few years. I like to stick to the back roads and small towns. The majority of people I meet are friendly and welcoming. However, I get the “outsiders aren’t welcome here“ Vibe way too often. People who don’t know anything about me judge me on my license plate alone. I’m trying to be upfront and honest and maybe make some connections here online.
Same for my area, you can rent places where you can have a garden and critters. Whether you'd want to live there is another story. Properties with no house are more plentiful. Word of warning about the distance from where you live to a garden property you might rent.
Do you own a truck?
I would have to be able to live on the land I work, whether it’s an existing structure or being able to drop a trailer. I don’t wanna get in a situation where I’m paying rent for a place to live and more rent for land to work.
I own an old Honda Civic. I had a long commute to work and I’m sure that little car has paid for itself and gas savings by now. I hitch a little 4 x 8 harbor freight trailer to it when I need to haul stuff. Set ups a little dinky but it gets the job done and cheap.
There were a couple people here looking for sincere, hardworking and honest folks to help them out. To my knowledge of they have not found that rare combination.
I am not afraid of hard honest work but I am in my 50s now. So, if someone is looking for 40+ hour a week farmhand I’m not interested in that. I’m always willing to help my neighbors but I’m not looking for a full-time job.

I want to be careful here I’m not trying to make this a “wanted add” i’m really looking just to see what options might be out there and get peoples opinions on it and you all have done a good job of that so far, thank you

Everything in my nature goes against rentals... it's money you never recoup, ya know? I'd look into low-priced parcels of land in rural areas and see what kind of deal you could swing with the sellers... some owners will "carry" and help buyers who otherwise have good references. Barring that, I'd say save your money until you have enough to buy, maybe at an auction or something... just my $.02 on the subject, as there can be so many problems with rentals. Once the property is yours, you can do whatever you like with it, within zoning law and reason. :rolleyes:
I agree buying my own would be the best option but for now I’m stuck renting anyway. I am debt-free and I’m not willing to change that even for land. Debt is far more expensive and risky than most people think. I’ve always been good with my money and I’m not ready to buy something I can’t afford. The only land I’ve seen within my budget now is subpar or highly questionable, no way I’m gambling with my savings on property like that.

Again I’m just looking for options that might be out there. A mutually beneficial situation with like-minded people.

If you're tied to that area due to a job or family or whatever, that's a tough one... but there's plenty of land available in other states, you'd just have to narrow down your choices and get serious about relocation. I'll tell ya, it wasn't easy for me to break away from the coast, with some family and my closest friends still there, but I had to do it just to remain free & clear of debt, yeah? I agree with you 100% about debt being risky & expensive, I don't like debt and I've seen way too many families mired in it. Better to break free and use your money wisely elsewhere... good deals can still be found on rural properties, but ya gotta do your homework and check listings every goldurned day. :confused:

Hi there Buster1903. Yes we are looking for someone who wants to grow a garden and learn about chickens. I also do welding and atv/motorcycle/generator repair. This spring I am building a small shop to work on cars and pickups since i have a auto tech degree from back when cars were powered by steam. My wife is a retired RN with a deep background in natural healing. We both grew up on diversified farms.

I will also contact you on the conversations here and I also use a proton mail account to converse on. I only say so much on line.
We live in montana which has it's good and bad. Not many people, only one city of 110K and the other five towns of any size are around 40K or less. The town we live near to is 35K with another 35K in a 50 mile radius or so. Concealed carry without a permit and there is a strong hunting ethic. We also have the tweakers and druggies and human trafficing but on a small scale and some of those have hunting accidents.

We grow a small garden and have grown everything from ashwaganda to tobbacco most of which requires starting inside then moving out to our small greenhouse then into the soil for the long days of our short summer. My 13 chickens have been lots of fun and since we invested in a freeze drier I am stocking away lots of good protein.

I am throwing this info out there for you and for others that I know are entertaining some way to live where there is some dirt to grow in and a place for some small livestock.

We and some of our friends are old, I built a dome in the 70's while reading mother earth news when it wasn't so yuppified. Our aim now is to enjoy life with our pursuits and also prep for the coming hard times. I feel there is going to be some real hardships and things happening that we don't even want to think about now.....but must.

As far as doing a homestead my advice to most people is to work two jobs right now so you can save money and get used to working a lot. We have resources for housing and are well stocked to plant as much garden as we can take care of and would love to have someone around to share in the work and the bounty. Unfortunately we are all running out of time and shortly decisions will be decided for those who have not planned ahead.

I got thrown off an off grid property I had been on for 12 years when the owner died and the new owner didnt want me there anymore.
Land or home ownership is a major problem where there is very little land available and or the price is beyond reach for the majority of people. I see the times changing and not for the better, in my own world I see a need to be more self reliant as far as water .food and shelter. A motor home/caravan and a useful skill/small buisness related to basic survival or necessity of others. Some of thse others targeted should have property.

I got thrown off an off grid property I had been on for 12 years when the owner died and the new owner didnt want me there anymore.
My plan is to Will my homestead to a nice couple that we have yet to meet in the future if they will work the homestead with and then for us when we cannot and care for us until we kick the bucket on the property. After we are gone, the entire homestead, farm, house, everything will be theirs. A trust of some sort will be setup so that our graves don't end up overgrown! I have a good 20 years before I'll need help (Lord willing) but will be meeting people between now and then and hope to find the perfect couple.

My plan is to Will my homestead to a nice couple that we have yet to meet in the future if they will work the homestead with and then for us when we cannot and care for us until we kick the bucket on the property. After we are gone, the entire homestead, farm, house, everything will be theirs. A trust of some sort will be setup so that our graves don't end up overgrown! I have a good 20 years before I'll need help (Lord willing) but will be meeting people between now and then and hope to find the perfect couple.
If you have any good ideas on passing on your homestead I would like to hear and or discuss them. We have been looking for someone/s that want to live here and help take care of a garden and some critters while they also support themselves. We have lots to share as far as knowledge and things.

If you happen to have an outside porch. you can always grow some vegetable plants in buckets. Indoor windowsill can grow herbs.

We do have a small farm and also do have 2 rent houses on the other side our property that are both rented right now. In that area, there is a small plot that an ex-renter had put in a fenced garden but it has stayed empty since he moved out. Either one has the option and even willing to lend out my walk behind tiller.

Things have change drastically here in the S.W. corner of Oregon, there is just no affordable properties of any kind, we have friends that have been looking for property for over three years and from what they tell us, all homes that they have looked at in the $300,000 to $400,000 range are garbage, in need of being bulldozed and a new home being built. Raw property just doesn't seem available and if it is, it goes quickly to pot growers. We look at what we have and realized how blessed we are in getting our place when we did back in the early 1980's. I hope you find something soon as this world is getting crazier by the minute.

Things have change drastically here in the S.W. corner of Oregon, there is just no affordable properties of any kind, we have friends that have been looking for property for over three years and from what they tell us, all homes that they have looked at in the $300,000 to $400,000 range are garbage, in need of being bulldozed and a new home being built. Raw property just doesn't seem available and if it is, it goes quickly to pot growers. We look at what we have and realized how blessed we are in getting our place when we did back in the early 1980's. I hope you find something soon as this world is getting crazier by the minute.
Land is getting very similar around here. Our issue is out of staters, mostly from up north/north east. Pricing locals out of the housing markets, even for bare land

Land is getting very similar around here. Our issue is out of staters, mostly from up north/north east. Pricing locals out of the housing markets, even for bare land
I kind of figured it wasn't just us, I'm pretty sure there is an escape going on from the blue states. When I meet someone moving here from California, I often tell them that I don't mind them coming here but please, please leave California politics behind, remember why you left California, as it is the northwest portion of Oregon is already overdue to be dropped into the Ocean, just like San Francisco.

This. We live in the developed suburbs...but went looking for undeveloped land out in rural country. Renting won't be worth it. Have considered relocation as well? The coasts don't strike me as areas with a lot of land to buy.

Last edited:
Are you looking to relocate or do you need to stay in that area?

I’m not tied down to New Jersey, but I would prefer the north east of the country. I’ve lived in New Jersey and Maine, so I am more accustomed to things here. I am open to other places across the country, but I am no fan of heat and humidity. I would avoid areas with summers that are warmer and more humid than New Jersey’s.

Thank you all for the insight and advice.

I’ve been thinking about renting possibilities, and searching through many rental listings, the overwhelming majority of which are clearly labeled “no pets” regardless of city or rural. I keep envisioning myself speaking to the potential landlord saying "This apartment/house/cabin is great, I would like to dig up 20 yd.² of the yard to plant a garden… And how do you feel about a chicken coop and fenced run that will scar another 20 yd.² of your property??" The situation I’m looking for would require time to develop a relationship of understanding and trust. I think It would have to start with someone who is doing the same sort of homesteading/farming, or wants to start doing it themselves. I realize I’m looking for a specific situation, but it’s a big country and this concept has become popular. I will continue searching through rental ads however, I think I will need to advertise myself and what I’m looking for. A “rental wanted” ad.

What do you all think about a video?

A short video explaining myself what I’m looking for and why. Giving people a chance to see and hear me. I would not give any technical details of myself, but hopefully would give others a chance to have a first impression. I have some concerns of the liabilities it may open me up to but it would show that I am serious.

If you can envision your self as someone open to this situation, what difference would a video of me compared to a text ad make for you?

I’m not tied down to New Jersey, but I would prefer the north east of the country. I’ve lived in New Jersey and Maine, so I am more accustomed to things here. I am open to other places across the country, but I am no fan of heat and humidity. I would avoid areas with summers that are warmer and more humid than New Jersey’s.
I was born and raised in New England... live out in the Rockies now. No humidity... but it can definitely get hot out here. Just a thought as the coasts are well developed already.

I was born and raised in New England... live out in the Rockies now. No humidity... but it can definitely get hot out here. Just a thought as the coasts are well developed already.
I agree heat without humidity is much more tolerable. Especially because the lack of humidity usually comes with cooler nights. But I still know my limits

the trouble with renting is one is at the whim of the land holder, as I found out.
I am aware of the downsides of renting. I have been renting houses in apartments most of my life. Both renters and landlords have rights as they should. But this is why I said “The situation I’m looking for would require time to develop a relationship of understanding and trust. I think It would have to start with someone who is doing the same sort of homesteading/farming, or wants to start doing it themselves."

What I’m asking for is your opinions about advertising myself through a video

Latest posts

Back