Renting land/Homestead

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Might be a good idea to find a spot, any spot, maybe by next week?
I get your point. Sometimes being impulsive is the best way to get things done. And I’m not looking for perfect. I’m working on my compatibility list “the deal breakers” realizing everything else can be figured out.
I’m still at the stage of figuring this all out. It’s a major shift from planning on buying your own land to renting/sharing. Either way moving is going to require time, effort, and money. Not to mention the time, effort, and money I plan on putting into a new situation once I get there.
I need a pretty clear picture of where I’m going and who I will be working with. I look forward to developing long lasting friendships and putting down roots, both literally and figuratively.

Have you given thought to looking in Pennsylvania or West Virginia? (Cheaper land and housing in a lot of places). Check face book market place too.
I think a video clip would be a good idea but where would your audience be?
Get out to an area you’d like to live in and start talking and getting to know people. Usually though, a newcomer that comes in and starts asking lots of questions, not always received so warmly. Try auctions, farmers markets, local diners, and try to look like you usually do, which I’d assume is a little rough around the edges. Lol

@Buster1903 i saw an advertisement last year, late winter maybe…an older woman was advertising for a younger person or couple to live on her property and help her run the place…organic gardening and some livestock. It was in North Carolina. I’m sorry to say I don’t recall where I saw that listed.

@Buster1903 i saw an advertisement last year, late winter maybe…an older woman was advertising for a younger person or couple to live on her property and help her run the place…organic gardening and some livestock. It was in North Carolina. I’m sorry to say I don’t recall where I saw that listed.
Here is one small site that has listings for people.
preppergroups.com

@Buster1903 Recently I picked up some used magazines...Mother Earth News, an article from the Aug/Sept 2019 issue titled "From Cubicle to Cultivar, how to leave the office and become a farmer." I researched it on my library's "Libby" app but the archived magazines for that magazine don't go back that far so I can't share a link. Towards the end of the article, the author, Jonathan Olivier, wrote about renting and leasing land.
Land trusts and land transfers are also mentioned. This could be what you're looking for.
The Center for Rural Affairs offers information as well as a list of programs across the country that help facilitate land-transfer connections. Center For Rural Affairs - Building a Better Rural Future

Probably not what you're looking for: There are farms that offer paid apprenticeships. Check ATTRA Sustainable Agriculture website ATTRA.NCAT.org ATTRA – Sustainable Agriculture
The author used www.WorkAway.info an organization where you sign up in exchange for free room and board and work for them. He wrote he worked on 13 farms and gained skills on various farming techniques, etc. I tried to find a link for it and it was international listings.

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I know I posted the right link and then boom, it was wrong. Editing above post.

Reactions: Neb
It does seem to me like land is getting both scarce and expensive. Demand where I live in North Texas has driven prices up (and also property taxes!). If you are truly not tied down to NJ, have you considered Idaho or Wyoming? I no personal knowledge about actually living in those states, I was looking a couple of months ago just out of curiosity and there were some seemingly attractive places coming in at around $1K/acre, albeit VERY VERY remote, dry, sparse vegetation, etc. You know the whole you-get-what-you-pay-for thing :)

Reactions: Neb
I don't rent or lease land because I don't want folks to know it's there. If I was a renter it wouldn't be my property.

Not to go off topic or hijack, but I don't really consider myself as owning this place ... The organization that has the guns and tanks and the monopoly on violence actually owns it 😐

Rather I see myself as a renter in the form of property taxes. They may not call it rent, but if I don't pay it on a regular basis they throw me out. Back home we call that "rent" :)

Of course, I do know what you mean though. At least I do have it in my name, and a free and clear title to it. That definitely is a better place to be :thumbs:

It does seem to me like land is getting both scarce and expensive. Demand where I live in North Texas has driven prices up (and also property taxes!). If you are truly not tied down to NJ, have you considered Idaho or Wyoming? I no personal knowledge about actually living in those states, I was looking a couple of months ago just out of curiosity and there were some seemingly attractive places coming in at around $1K/acre, albeit VERY VERY remote, dry, sparse vegetation, etc. You know the whole you-get-what-you-pay-for thing :)
I'm in Utah... very similar to Idaho and Wyoming. Be careful purchasing those dirt cheap acreage lots. Many have no access or right of way... and could be out in the desert. Water rights are also an issue... not a problem for recreational or hunting properties, but definitely a problem for building. You are right though... get what you pay for.

Side note, sometimes buying the water rights is more expensive than the land.

Latest posts

Back