Repair and reuse - saving money by NOT spending it

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SheepDog

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
For years I have had an ice cream scoop that was made of solid cast aluminum. My wife decided that we needed a new one - one that looked more modern. She sometimes replaces things and throws the old one into the second hand store bag. The new scoop looked real pretty. It was stainless steel with a wood handle. Each time we used it the metal would bend just in front of the handle. I knew that sooner or later it would break so I devised a plan to make it as good as the old one.
I have some scrap stainless sheet metal around so I cut a template that would fit under the steel that was there and another that would sit on top and folded the sides down for added strength - much like a steel channel (half an I beam). I removed the rivets that held the handle on the scoop and made my new parts from the scrap stainless. I then soldered them to the old scoop after getting it straight enough to align with the new pieces. When I removed the old handle I found it was split so I crafted a new handle from some hardwood scrap. I drilled new holes for the hardware I would use to attach the handle and transferred the holes to the handle. I tried my best to make the handle look good and lengthened it to better support the scoop. I then drilled for the hardware to hold the two pieces together. I immersed it in Minwax stain and sealer for a water resistant finish and it is in the process of drying. I need to get some stainless hardware to complete the process.
All done the new scoop repair is costing me about $4 and the gas to town to get to the hardware store. The old scoop was perfectly functional. The new scoop cost just under $7 so with the repairs it comes up to $11 to replace something that already worked. My wife said she saved money because it was "on sale" but it was a purchase that was unnecessary. We now have a scoop that still looks good and will last until the handle cracks from age and abuse (unless I can make her understand that it can't be submerged in the water to clean it).
If I find the old scoop I will buy it back as a backup for the "pretty" one. The lesson here is two fold; 1. don't replace what works and 2. compare value and not cost. This advice extends to all preps from groceries to vehicles and tools.

The aluminum scoop that you describe sounds like a commercial scoop found in most ice cream shops. It transfers heat readily so the ice cream is easily scooped and more importantly it is easily released from the scoop. It is a great, simple durable design that has decades of use in a commercial application. It is not the prettiest but I've never seen better.

If you ever want another a restaurant supply house should have them, though Amazon might be an easier option.

Yeah.it does do a lot better,if i run hot water over it.stright from the fachet.but it does well without water as well.
That's part of the design. If you notice, in the shops they keep it in a glass of water. The water not only dissolves the ice cream but transfers heat into the scoop. Water transfers heat 25 times faster than air.

It is just one of the few idiosyncrasies that my wife has. I tolerate it and then show her when it goes bad. She has gotten better over the years but will still occasionally dispose of something and then want to buy a replacement. I recently pulled the covers (lids) for our frying pans out of the goodwill box and put them back in the drawer. That night I used both covers when fixing dinner. She washed them and put them back in the drawer. It is just stuff from her past that pops up once in a while.

Before I get rid of most things I put it out in the shed. If I don't need it over the next year it can go. Hubby will just toss stuff and then have a fit when he can't find it later. I caught him eyeing my kitchen gadgets last year. Told him if any came up missing he'd be missing a large TV.

Last edited:
I keep a lot of auto parts and other replacement parts for equipment but I also keep scraps of wood and metal for those little projects - like a new handle for the icecream scoop or the handle on the screen door. As long as it is usable I will try to hang on to it but there are times when I will get rid of a load of pieces that I can live without. I am frugal but not a hoarder.

Today’s repair and reuse begins with my sons recent purchase. A 2008 Impala. So far I’ve aquired a used alternator, a new battery, and having it brought by flatbed to my house since there no plates and such. It’s a gently used 157,000 mile cream puff that will need brakes and related along with some other tlc but under a $1000 so some work is expected. We shall see what this turns into but as it’s his first car it’s a good place to start.

For years I have had an ice cream scoop that was made of solid cast aluminum. My wife decided that we needed a new one - one that looked more modern. She sometimes replaces things and throws the old one into the second hand store bag. The new scoop looked real pretty. It was stainless steel with a wood handle. Each time we used it the metal would bend just in front of the handle. I knew that sooner or later it would break so I devised a plan to make it as good as the old one.
I have some scrap stainless sheet metal around so I cut a template that would fit under the steel that was there and another that would sit on top and folded the sides down for added strength - much like a steel channel (half an I beam). I removed the rivets that held the handle on the scoop and made my new parts from the scrap stainless. I then soldered them to the old scoop after getting it straight enough to align with the new pieces. When I removed the old handle I found it was split so I crafted a new handle from some hardwood scrap. I drilled new holes for the hardware I would use to attach the handle and transferred the holes to the handle. I tried my best to make the handle look good and lengthened it to better support the scoop. I then drilled for the hardware to hold the two pieces together. I immersed it in Minwax stain and sealer for a water resistant finish and it is in the process of drying. I need to get some stainless hardware to complete the process.
All done the new scoop repair is costing me about $4 and the gas to town to get to the hardware store. The old scoop was perfectly functional. The new scoop cost just under $7 so with the repairs it comes up to $11 to replace something that already worked. My wife said she saved money because it was "on sale" but it was a purchase that was unnecessary. We now have a scoop that still looks good and will last until the handle cracks from age and abuse (unless I can make her understand that it can't be submerged in the water to clean it).
If I find the old scoop I will buy it back as a backup for the "pretty" one. The lesson here is two fold; 1. don't replace what works and 2. compare value and not cost. This advice extends to all preps from groceries to vehicles and tools.

Hubby is real handy too, good job SheepD.

Before I get rid of most things I put it out in the shed. If I don't need it over the next year it can go. Hubby will just toss stuff and then have a fit when he can't find it later. I caught him eyeing my kitchen gadgets last year. Told him if any came up missing he'd be missing a large TV.

Mine is a collector so I have to threaten to haul off the good stuff.

Getting an airbag code that scares me a bit. Hope it’s something I can remedy. Couple small issues yet to address though.

Those air bags can be as bad as the wreck. Mine went off and bruised my ribs almost broke m arm. Of course it could have been worse I guess after hittign that tree.

15393805137591067784260.jpg

I don't know what the handle on this ancient ice cream scooper was made of, but it still works.
Use it up, wear it out, make do, or go without.

I have a 1995 Nissan pick up truck, 4 cycle, it runs good, but the compression weak. so around town at 45 or so mile an hour, it is good.
I need something that will travel out of town.
I looked at New 2017 trucks for about $40,000.00, then bought a 2005 crew cab for $6,000.00, but it is a six cycle & burns more gas.
Still after a year of driving it I think I got a good deal, & as I see it I saved $34,000.00 plus interest, because I paid cash for the 2005.

I have a 1995 Nissan pick up truck, 4 cycle, it runs good, but the compression weak. so around town at 45 or so mile an hour, it is good.
I need something that will travel out of town.
I looked at New 2017 trucks for about $40,000.00, then bought a 2005 crew cab for $6,000.00, but it is a six cycle & burns more gas.
Still after a year of driving it I think I got a good deal, & as I see it I saved $34,000.00 plus interest, because I paid cash for the 2005.

Joel I'm with ya on the saving money thing on vehicles. My daughters have newer autos and they are in the shop alot. Sometimes our old ones need an over haul but thank goodness hubby is worked on autos all his life. But sometimes he gets fooled but then there is youtube for help. And I help him too by lookign up things for him. Son and neighbor helps if it is too much for hubby.:cool: :thumbs:

Today we saved a heap of money by recycling 8 x 3 metre redwood posts from our grape yard vineyard and reused them for our kangaroo garden enclosure. We are also reusing the galvanised pipe, joiners and heavy duty chicken wire from the grape yard vineyard for the framework and to put over the top and sides. The only thing that cost money for the project was the shade cloth to go over the top and the wire clips to hold it on.

Not sure if this is where to post it, but hubby often burns holes in the fronts of his shirts (job hazard.). The backs are often still in great shape. I can get 4 "paper towels" out of a shirt back. And depending upon how worn the shirt is (he's been known to burn a shirt the first wearing) sometimes I can use the upper portion of each sleeve for another. I haven't bought paper towels or napkins in years.
*I do get his shirts at thrift shops so quite reasonable.

Our microwave quit working. That is not exactly true the input system quit working. It was a GE and I have never felt that they could build a decent light bulb much less a jet engine or anything in between.
Now that we have a nice new LG in its place I get to take the GE apart to see if there is anything useful. The fan is noisy but it might work for something, I know there is a very large high voltage transformer in there and the magnatron, of course. There should be a wave guide and a good triac. There are any number of uses for all of these parts but I do have to examine them to find out what their limits are. There is probably a voltage doubler circuit with big capacitors and high voltage diodes. The doubler can be used with any AC or pulsed DC to double the frequency and the voltage at the same time. I see some fun experiments in my future!

Yes but only for frequencies at or lower than the frequency of the microwave. It won't work for protection against the E1 pulse of an HEMP.

Latest posts

Back