Replacement Bails

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosco

Super Friend
Neighbor
We have cases of bail-top quart canning jars inherited from various grandmothers and aunts. Most of them are in excellent condition and we use them with O2 absorbers for dry canning and general sealed storage. We've soaked most of the bails in vinegar to remove the oxidized zinc, rinsed, dried them in the oven quickly and then wiped them down very lightly with olive oil, which keeps them rust and oxidation free. There are a few, though that show more rust than a simple soak will remove, so we'd like to replace them. I've done quite a bit of searching, but haven't found any source for replacement bails... not really surprising. If anyone knows of a source for replacement bails, please share. These jars have so many uses. We'd love to keep them in use and in good serviceable condition. Thank you.

I just learned something. I never knew they were called bail tops. I have a few.

I can appreciate how replacement bails are hard to find. I would imagine that some people might throw the bottom part out if the bail broke.

Bail top jars.JPG

@zoomzoom Thanks for that link. Much appreciated...
At $6.50 ea, I think I'll soak my rusty ones in some diluted naval jelly over night and hot dip them in gun bluing. It's messy, but with a couple dozen to process, it would be preferred over the cost of "Vintage Bails."
I can remember as a kid going to the town dump with my father. We would take a .22 cal. rifle along and do some target practice on cans and bottles. At that time, people were getting rid of their bail-top canning jars in favor of the new ring & lid design. There were cases of Bail-top Ball Jars set out for the taking.... or the breaking. Back then, I wouldn't have given you a dime for a wire bail off one of those jars. Now, I'm thinking it would have been a good (albeit long) investment.

I have mad new bails for a number of different jars and bottles from stainless steel spring wire.

I have mad new bails for a number of different jars and bottles from stainless steel spring wire.
I was thinking of doing the same out of 12 or 14 gauge stainless wire, but my experience with forming stainless has been hit or miss. It can be tough stuff to hold to tolerance. Do you shape it annealed and then bring to to a heat to harden it?

I can't help you with the bails but here are some new rubbers. I've dealt with Lehman's for years.
https://www.lehmans.com/product/old-style-canning-jar-rubbers/
Thanks for the link. We've been canning and storing for most of our lives and have developed our best-price and preferred supplier list. We just ordered 7 12-count boxes of the same brand jar rubbers from Red Hill General Store ( All American Pressure Canners - Pressure Cookers | AllAmericanCanner.com) in Virginia for $3.74 per box including the shipping.... $2.49 per box plus $8.75 total shipping.... $26.18 Total for 84 regular rubbers. Everybody is scamming the Preppers now that the world is starting to wake up. We lean toward the Mennonite and similar retailers. The prices remain pretty fair.

Sheep dog beat me to it. a 1/16th" TIG welding rod should do nicely. if you want it done fast and neat you could build a bending jig out of 1/4" screws and a hunk of 2x4

I was thinking of doing the same out of 12 or 14 gauge stainless wire, but my experience with forming stainless has been hit or miss. It can be tough stuff to hold to tolerance. Do you shape it annealed and then bring to to a heat to harden it?
Rosco,
If you are going to buy stainless wire it will likely be a 3xx alloy and you can't heat treat it. The 300 series stainless work hardens so as you bend and hammer it you are hardening it. typically you will get "music wire" which is 303 or 304 stainless. Heat will only anneal it - just like brass.

• Love
Reactions: Neb

Latest posts

Back