Rhubarb

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrannyG

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
https://www.gracegardenandhomestead.com/making-rhubarb-candy/

Sounds so good....will not grow here, but I love it

Preparing Your Rhubarb
Start by harvesting firm, ripe rhubarb stalks without blemishes. Clean thoroughly.
RC-1-768x554.jpg

After cleaned, cut pieces 4-5 inches long, and then start slicing.

My pieces were average thickness, and I made 4-5 slices out of each piece.

RC-2-768x419.jpg

Preparing Your Candy Coating
In a large pot, mix equal amounts of sugar and water. You’ll need just enough to coat your rhubarb. Provide enough heat to dissolve the sugar and then let it start cooling.

I used 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water. Only half the rhubarb fit in at a time, but I turned it over and mixed it thoroughly.

I don’t know that it matters how cool you let your coating get, but I usually let it cool while I finish slicing the rhubarb.

Coating Your Rhubarb Candy
Once your sugar is dissolved and your rhubarb is ready, put it in there, stir it really good and get all the rhubarb coated. Pull out each piece and lay it in your dehydrator.

Your rhubarb will need to be evenly spaced and not touching.

RC-3-768x448.jpg

Finishing It Off
Turn your dehydrator on to the vegetable setting, and dry until half the size and thin. Mine took 4 hours.

If you want, pull it off as soon as it’s done and twist it around your fingers to make it curly. I’m not that patient. I let mine set in the dehydrator and cool down for a couple hours before pulling it off.

Store your rhubarb candy in canning bottles (see how I seal mine here), or in baggies. I’ve never had this last more than about two weeks, so I’m not sure what the longevity would be beyond that.

https://www.gracegardenandhomestead.com/making-rhubarb-candy/

Sounds so good....will not grow here, but I love it

Preparing Your Rhubarb
Start by harvesting firm, ripe rhubarb stalks without blemishes. Clean thoroughly.
RC-1-768x554.jpg

After cleaned, cut pieces 4-5 inches long, and then start slicing.

My pieces were average thickness, and I made 4-5 slices out of each piece.

RC-2-768x419.jpg

Preparing Your Candy Coating
In a large pot, mix equal amounts of sugar and water. You’ll need just enough to coat your rhubarb. Provide enough heat to dissolve the sugar and then let it start cooling.

I used 2 cups sugar and 2 cups water. Only half the rhubarb fit in at a time, but I turned it over and mixed it thoroughly.

I don’t know that it matters how cool you let your coating get, but I usually let it cool while I finish slicing the rhubarb.

Coating Your Rhubarb Candy
Once your sugar is dissolved and your rhubarb is ready, put it in there, stir it really good and get all the rhubarb coated. Pull out each piece and lay it in your dehydrator.

Your rhubarb will need to be evenly spaced and not touching.

RC-3-768x448.jpg

Finishing It Off
Turn your dehydrator on to the vegetable setting, and dry until half the size and thin. Mine took 4 hours.

If you want, pull it off as soon as it’s done and twist it around your fingers to make it curly. I’m not that patient. I let mine set in the dehydrator and cool down for a couple hours before pulling it off.

Store your rhubarb candy in canning bottles (see how I seal mine here), or in baggies. I’ve never had this last more than about two weeks, so I’m not sure what the longevity would be beyond that.
Can you buy it in the grocery store?

It is available in the stores in town here but only during the local season.

Rhubarb Pudding Cake Recipe
https://yeyfood.com/magic-rhubarb-p...oHRaPVr1tKAfUyhbxFgL01oMMRXwwrAd8u74NlbSv-HbI
YIELD: 9 SERVINGS
Magic Rhubarb Pudding Cake
rhubarb pudding cake

You can make this old-fashioned cake with fresh or frozen rhubarb. A surprising step with boiling water makes the cake form its own yummy pudding-like sauce.
PREP TIME10 minutes
COOK TIME45 minutes
TOTAL TIME 55 minutes

Ingredients
  • 2 cups rhubarb, chopped
  • 1/2 cup white sugar, 1 cup white sugar for topping
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 3 Tbsp butter, softened
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp salt
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla
  • 1 cup flour, sifted
  • 1/2 tsp almond extract
  • 1 Tbsp cornstarch
  • 2/3 cup boiling water

Instructions
  1. Grease or spray an 8-inch or 9-inch square baking dish
  2. Put the chopped rhubarb evenly in the baking dish.
  3. Mix 1/2 cup of white sugar, brown sugar, butter, baking powder, vanilla, almond extract, milk, and flour. If batter seems too thick to pour over the fruit, thin it with a little more milk.
  4. Pour the batter over the rhubarb. Make sure the batter reaches clear to the edges of the pan.
  5. Mix the remaining 1 cup of sugar with the cornstarch. Stir well, so it's thoroughly combined.
  6. Sprinkle the sugar/cornstarch mixture evenly over the batter.
  7. Gently pour the boiling water over the sugar mixture.
  8. Bake at 375 degrees for about 45 minutes. The top will be crinkled and crackled.
https://yeyfood.com/magic-rhubarb-pudding-cake-recipe/

Attachments

• 1625718059847.png
    1625718059847.png
    1,012 bytes · Views: 4
  • 1625718059873.png
    1625718059873.png
    1,012 bytes · Views: 4
I have never grown, harvest or eaten it. It is a perennial, so maybe I should, tart is better than Hungry!

My wife eats the stuff raw like its candy, but I don't consume it at nearly the rate as she does, unless its in the form of rhubarb pie!

Be forewarned, its perennial and very invasive. It will be growing anywhere and everywhere if you don't manage it.

I do not like rhubarb, raw, in a pie, or even in a pie with strawberries. Maybe one of those acquired taste things, like cilantro. I might be persuaded to eat it if there is nothing else to eat.

"Be forewarned, its perennial and very invasive. It will be growing anywhere and everywhere if you don't manage it."
Seeds or roots? 45 years ago, the nursery man I worked for, had the big leave plant with red stems.
I ask him what it was he said Rhubarb.
I said what is good for?
He said Some people eat it, but I just like the way it looks.
It never spread that I can remember, in 17 years I worked there.

Seeds or roots? 45 years ago, the nursery man I worked for, had the big leave plant with red stems.
I ask him what it was he said Rhubarb.
I said what is good for?
He said Some people eat it, but I just like the way it looks.
It never spread that I can remember, in 17 years I worked there.

My wife will stick roots in the ground and it always grows. But it also spreads like wildfire from the seeds. We are pulling up a half dozen "volunteer" rhubarb plants every year that spring up where we never planted them. Some appear 30-40 feet from any other plant. It might be our unique Alaskan environment.

https://fork-lore.com/2023/05/19/rh...BUHts8k9DQcXvmQOXFBhU4a4HcJhkUsWVtkyx-sQxDqmk
We hardly have any rhubarb recipes posted. I can remedy that!

Rhubarb Strawberry Crumble Bars​

INGREDIENTS:​

Crust:

• 1 1/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
  • 3/4 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
  • 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/3 cup unsalted butter, melted
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Fruit Filling:

• 1 1/4 cups finely chopped strawberries
  • 1 1/4 cups finely chopped rhubarb
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 tablespoon cornstarch

DIRECTIONS:​

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with cooking spray.
  2. Combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking soda and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse twice to combine. Add butter, pulse until well incorporated. Measure our 1 cup of oat mixture and reserve for topping. Transfer remaining dough to prepared baking pan. Press down firmly to form an even crust.
  3. In a medium bowl, combine strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and cornstarch. Spread the fruit filling over the crust.
  4. In a small bowl, combine the reserved oat mixture with the chopped pecans. Sprinkle the topping over the fruit filling.
  5. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until the top is golden brown and the filling is bubbly in spots around the edges. Transfer the pan to a rack and let cool completely before cutting into bars.
Recipe from United Healthcare RENEW magazine

I just cut off a bunch yesterday and made a liquid out of it. I tried it in ice tea and with seltzer water but it needs to be sweetened. i was trying not to use sugar in it. They say it is really good in lemonade. I like to add it to my applesauce.
it freeze dries really well too

One tough plant. I have two varieties and one already is going to seed or something and the other plant I bought a spare last year but didn't get around to planting it so it spent all summer and all winter in a pot (38 below zero) and this spring the plant in the pot is growing again; amazing.

My Grandma made a great rhubarb pie years ago when a cousin made his request, I wish I had her recipe now. . . This year for Christmas, I gave all the kids copies of Granny's cookbook so her and Great Mother's recipes are passed down. I took one of Granny's Shrimp Casseroles over too our new Mommas. 3rd son was, is this Granny's Shrimp Casserole? Yep, it's in the cookbook. She had a couple. Look for the one that used Cream of Mushroom.

https://www.quick-german-recipes.com/rhubarb-dump-cake.html

Margaret's Rhubarb Dump Cake – Rhabarber-Dump-Kuchen​

This rhubarb dump cake is a favorite every time spring comes, thanks to my friend, Margaret, who shared her recipe with me.

At times, our rhubarb patch is almost decimated, with all the picking that goes on. And, this recipe is the culprit! And, another is rhubarb streusel cake.

PREP TIME​

5 minutes

BAKE TIME​

60 minutes

TOTAL TIME​

65 minutes

SERVINGS:​

Makes 12 servings

INGREDIENTS:​

• 5 cup fresh rhubarb, cut in 1 to 2 inch pieces
  • ¼ cup granulated sugar
  • 1 box (3 ounces) strawberry flavored gelatin powder
  • 1 box (18 ounces) yellow dry cake mix
  • ¼ cup butter, melted
  • 1 cup water

INSTRUCTIONS:​

1. Preheat oven to 350°F.
  2. Spread chopped rhubarb into ungreased 9x13-inch baking dish.
  3. Sprinkle sugar over rhubarb. Sprinkle flavored gelatin powder over.
  4. Sprinkle dry cake mix over all. DO NOT MIX.
  5. Drizzle melted butter over. Gently pour water over all. DO NOT MIX)
  6. Bake for 45 to 60 minutes, until top is nicely browned.
  7. Serve either hot, warm, or cold. Nice with ice cream or whipped cream.

NOTES/HINTS:​

• Use any red colored gelatin powder. Raspberry is especially nice.
  • Try a white or lemon cake mix for a different flavor.
  • If you use frozen rhubarb, reduce the water in half.
  • Sprinkle with nuts - pecans are nice - before baking.
  • If you like it a bit sweeter, add extra sugar next time.
  • Instead of butter, use ¼ cup olive oil.
  • Replace with gelatin with sugar-free gelatin and use Splenda instead of sugar to make a diet version.
  • Extra rhubarb is perfect for some rhubarb pudding, a favorite in northern Germany.

Latest posts

Back