Rice cookbooks?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know about a cookbook, but there are lots of rice mix recipes that I've used that I've found online. Look up copycat Zatarains, or copycat rice a roni recipes. Most are dry mixes you can put together and store. I make mine up in quart sized jars, and just write the measurements for the rice and water (and butter) on the lid. Just scoop out what I need.

Oh, I forgot about that one, I have it. That's pricey for a little book. But it's a good one. She has "Cooking with Powdered Milk" and "Cooking with food storage" that are good, too.

Oh, I forgot about that one, I have it. That's pricey for a little book. But it's a good one. She has "Cooking with Powdered Milk" and "Cooking with food storage" that are good, too.
I think I have all of her books now. I think she is LDS and has been involved in food storage for many years.

We just use meat & rice, sometimes meat,vegetables & rice. We change the type of meat, beans,vegetables to keep thing from getting boring. Chilli & rice,Catfish & rice,Chowder & rice,BBQ & rice.

Cajun cookbooks! We Cajuns love our rice, and all of our cookbooks show it.

A few of my favorites (in this order):

Cooking Up A Storm: Recipes Lost and found from the Times-Picayune of New Orleans

After Hurricane Katrina ripped my hometown of New Orleans apart in 2005, many recipes were lost in the storm. The local newspaper, The Times-Picayune, set out to recover those recipes by publishing requests from grieving readers who lost their favorite recipes in the floodwaters, some of which were prized heirlooms passed down from previous generations. Some could only remember a few of the ingredients, so they wrote in what they could remember. Other readers would recognize the skeletonized recipes and submit copies of their own. This way many lost recipes were successfully matched.

The result is, in my opinion, the best South Louisiana cookbook of all time. This is a labor of love that restored the prized recipes of many families. I grew up with nearly every recipe in this book, and it has a place on my top shelf!

River Road Recipes (all three editions) by Junior League of Baton Rouge

The Encyclopedia of Cajun & Creole Cuisine by John D. Folse

Chef Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen by Paul Prudhomme

Talk about Good! by Junior League of Lafayette

My New Orleans: The Cookbook
by John Besh

So many more, but that will be a good start to discovering new ways to use all of your rice! You might even become an honorary Cajun/Creole! (FYI: our food is NOT all about hot, hot, hot... the best cooks leave the hot stuff in the bottle and put it on the table for diners to add to the dish at their own discretion.

Cooking Up A Storm: Recipes Lost and found from the Times-Picayune of New Orleans

After Hurricane Katrina ripped my hometown of New Orleans apart in 2005, many recipes were lost in the storm. The local newspaper, The Times-Picayune, set out to recover those recipes by publishing requests from grieving readers who lost their favorite recipes in the floodwaters, some of which were prized heirlooms passed down from previous generations. Some could only remember a few of the ingredients, so they wrote in what they could remember. Other readers would recognize the skeletonized recipes and submit copies of their own. This way many lost recipes were successfully matched.

The result is, in my opinion, the best South Louisiana cookbook of all time. This is a labor of love that restored the prized recipes of many families. I grew up with nearly every recipe in this book, and it has a place on my top shelf!

My New Orleans: The Cookbook by John Besh

So many more, but that will be a good start to discovering new ways to use all of your rice! You might even become an honorary Cajun/Creole! (FYI: our food is NOT all about hot, hot, hot... the best cooks leave the hot stuff in the bottle and put it on the table for diners to add to the dish at their own discretion.
Wow! Who would have thought that recipes would be one thing lost in storms? I am sure it has happened more than once, as well as in floods, house fires, and more.

I used to have more than 100 cookbooks. Most of them had one or two recipes that I used, such as the latke recipe from Molly Roseburg's Jewish Cookbook. I decided I needed to pare down my cookbook collection, so I started my recipe blog, making the entries of my favorite recipes from friends, family and cookbooks. I went through my cookbooks pretty thoroughly to see if there were other recipes I might use. Daughter and others find recipes they like there. I had a half sized 3 ring binder where I wrote and glued recipes I found in newspapers and magazines. Those were typed into my blog as well. I maybe have around a dozen cookbooks now, and for some people that is a lot of cookbooks. It has been very helpful to have easy access to my recipes no matter where I am and for my daughter to find what she is looking for as well.

Wow! Who would have thought that recipes would be one thing lost in storms? I am sure it has happened more than once, as well as in floods, house fires, and more.

I used to have more than 100 cookbooks. Most of them had one or two recipes that I used, such as the latke recipe from Molly Roseburg's Jewish Cookbook. I decided I needed to pare down my cookbook collection, so I started my recipe blog, making the entries of my favorite recipes from friends, family and cookbooks. I went through my cookbooks pretty thoroughly to see if there were other recipes I might use. Daughter and others find recipes they like there. I had a half sized 3 ring binder where I wrote and glued recipes I found in newspapers and magazines. Those were typed into my blog as well. I maybe have around a dozen cookbooks now, and for some people that is a lot of cookbooks. It has been very helpful to have easy access to my recipes no matter where I am and for my daughter to find what she is looking for as well.

These days we keep it simple, have several cook books but mainly just cook what we know.Like a good old fashioned chocolate cake from scratch is on the menu today,I hope.:woo hoo:

This got me thinking. I searched for "rice recipes pdf." If there are any recipes you want, you can search for them online. You can also search for cookbooks in pdf format. Recipes are out there, being shared by many. The older cookbooks are sometimes found in this format online, for free. This is just one group of rice recipes, but what I realize is that we do not have a thread for rice recipes alone. Anyone else have a bunch of rice? If you are a prepper, you are likely to easily have 100 or more pounds of it in Mylar in 5 gallon buckets. Eating white rice day after day would sure get boring, but there are probably 100's of recipes for rice.

https://www.uaex.edu/rice-expo/Rice recipe book 2014.pdf

This got me thinking. I searched for "rice recipes pdf." If there are any recipes you want, you can search for them online. You can also search for cookbooks in pdf format. Recipes are out there, being shared by many. The older cookbooks are sometimes found in this format online, for free. This is just one group of rice recipes, but what I realize is that we do not have a thread for rice recipes alone. Anyone else have a bunch of rice? If you are a prepper, you are likely to easily have 100 or more pounds of it in Mylar in 5 gallon buckets. Eating white rice day after day would sure get boring, but there are probably 100's of recipes for rice.

Weedy thanks for the nudge now I'm back on topic.
We have some rice stored and this is a good idea to know how to use it.:thumbs:

This is the one I found before. Thanks for posting for others. I am asking because I plan to give my kids a bucket of rice and they won't have a clue what to do with it.

This is the one I found before. Thanks for posting for others. I am asking because I plan to give my kids a bucket of rice and they won't have a clue what to do with it.
That is a great idea. If there isn't one cookbook dedicated to just rice recipes, maybe one of us can put it together?

My New Orleans: The Cookbook by John Besh

Many years ago, I lived next door to a man who said he had been a chef in New Orleans. He gave me some of the best recipes. I could take a pound of hamburger, some rice and feed my family of 8 and they devoured it. I no longer have his recipes. It is all in the spices.

I think that's a really nice present. If they haven't used rice before, you might give them a cheap rice cooker, too. If they try to cook it on top of the stove the first time and end up with a glob of burnt rice stuck to the pan - they might not try it a second time. ;)

Latest posts

Back