Rice Recipes

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weedygarden

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Thank you SouthCentralUS, for the thread about rice cook books. It looks like a thread that is about rice recipes is important, since most preppers probably have more rice than anything else.

I started this thread, but didn't share any recipes. I have read many over the years, but honestly, in spite of having some rice stored, I rarely eat it. I was looking for a recipe for Dirty Rice, something that I've eaten, but never cooked.

Any one with a better recipe?
https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/main-course-pork/new-orleans-dirty-rice.html

Thats a good one to use with all this rice we all store.
A little like chicken or pork fried rice only no scrambled eggs. I nice change from fried rice.

Thats a good one to use with all this rice we all store.
A little like chicken or pork fried rice only no scrambled eggs. I nice change from fried rice.
I can see that there are some similarities, but there are several differences.
My memory of dirty rice was that it was spicier, maybe with some kind of red pepper. It has been decades since I've had it. Maybe the cajun spice adds the spiciness I remember.

New Orleans Dirty Rice or Cajun Rice Recipe
added by Donna Graffagnino

Cajun rice or "dirty rice" is a well loved New Orleans dish and a Louisiana classic, with as many different recipes as there are cooks. Traditional Dirty Rice uses chopped chicken livers which gives it a distinctive flavor and a dark color dubbing it "dirty" rice. It typically includes the trinity with da' Pope, which is diced bell pepper, celery, onion, and garlic. This is my favorite version.

Cook time: 45 Min Prep time: 20 Min Serves: 8-10
Ingredients
1 lb bulk pork breakfast sausage (jimmy dean, hot or mild)
1 lb chicken livers, chopped fine or ground
1 lb ground beef
2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce (lea & perrins)
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 stalk(s) celery, chopped fine
2 c converted long grain rice (zatarain's or uncle ben's)
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
3 clove or "toes" garlic, minced
salt, black & cayenne pepper to taste
1 can(s) (14.5 oz) low sodium beef broth
1 can(s) (14.5 oz) low sodium chicken broth
3-4 oz water or as needed
2 tsp cajun/creole seasoning, or to taste
1/2 tsp sage *see cook's notes
2-3 bay leaves
1 1/2 c fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
Directions
1. Ina large Dutch oven or saucepan, over medium-high heat, sauté the sausage, beef, and livers until no pink remains. Drain all but 3 Tbsp from the pan. (If sausage is very lean add bacon grease or butter to pan to make 3 Tbsp.)
2. Add the bell pepper, onions, and celery. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
3. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the veggies begin to soften and brown. Add the rice, green onions, and garlic; continue to stir for 1-2 minutes until the rice begins to toast or turn brown.
4. Add the worcestershire sauce, beef & chicken stock, creole seasoning, sage, and bay leaves. Mix well, turn the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Cook until the rice is fully tender and the broth has been absorbed. Stir well and remove from heat, then stir in the chopped parsley.
6. *Cooks Notes: Don't let the Sage scare you off because you don't taste the small amount of sage in this recipe but it does make a difference in the taste, so don't leave it out. I personally do not like sage in anything, but this recipe is the exception. Some people like to put diced pork or Andouille sausage in their Dirty Rice, which is fine

- almost anything goes, however, adding sausage or tomatoes will lean the dish towards a Jambalaya. Dirty Rice shouldn't be too wet or gummy, the grains should separate easily and still be moist enough to hold together on your fork.

I can see that there are some similarities, but there are several differences.
My memory of dirty rice was that it was spicier, maybe with some kind of red pepper. It has been decades since I've had it. Maybe the cajun spice adds the spiciness I remember.

added by Donna Graffagnino

Cajun rice or "dirty rice" is a well loved New Orleans dish and a Louisiana classic, with as many different recipes as there are cooks. Traditional Dirty Rice uses chopped chicken livers which gives it a distinctive flavor and a dark color dubbing it "dirty" rice. It typically includes the trinity with da' Pope, which is diced bell pepper, celery, onion, and garlic. This is my favorite version.

Cook time: 45 Min Prep time: 20 Min Serves: 8-10
Ingredients
1 lb bulk pork breakfast sausage (jimmy dean, hot or mild)
1 lb chicken livers, chopped fine or ground
1 lb ground beef
2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce (lea & perrins)
1 medium green bell pepper, diced
1 large onion, diced
2 stalk(s) celery, chopped fine
2 c converted long grain rice (zatarain's or uncle ben's)
1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
3 clove or "toes" garlic, minced
salt, black & cayenne pepper to taste
1 can(s) (14.5 oz) low sodium beef broth
1 can(s) (14.5 oz) low sodium chicken broth
3-4 oz water or as needed
2 tsp cajun/creole seasoning, or to taste
1/2 tsp sage *see cook's notes
2-3 bay leaves
1 1/2 c fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
Directions
1. Ina large Dutch oven or saucepan, over medium-high heat, sauté the sausage, beef, and livers until no pink remains. Drain all but 3 Tbsp from the pan. (If sausage is very lean add bacon grease or butter to pan to make 3 Tbsp.)
2. Add the bell pepper, onions, and celery. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
3. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the veggies begin to soften and brown. Add the rice, green onions, and garlic; continue to stir for 1-2 minutes until the rice begins to toast or turn brown.
4. Add the worcestershire sauce, beef & chicken stock, creole seasoning, sage, and bay leaves. Mix well, turn the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
5. Cook until the rice is fully tender and the broth has been absorbed. Stir well and remove from heat, then stir in the chopped parsley.
6. *Cooks Notes: Don't let the Sage scare you off because you don't taste the small amount of sage in this recipe but it does make a difference in the taste, so don't leave it out. I personally do not like sage in anything, but this recipe is the exception. Some people like to put diced pork or Andouille sausage in their Dirty Rice, which is fine

- almost anything goes, however, adding sausage or tomatoes will lean the dish towards a Jambalaya. Dirty Rice shouldn't be too wet or gummy, the grains should separate easily and still be moist enough to hold together on your fork.
I've had it but its been a long time, and it will be a good recipe for rice.:thumbs:

Daughter makes Korean rice bowls frequently. She used to eat at a now defunct Korean restaurant and this was one of her regular orders. When she makes these rice bowls, she varies them by what ingredients she has. There is certainly lots of possibilities of things you can add, or not put in.

Do you cook without recipes? I do, but not everything. This recipe says the sauce is key. What if you don't have the sauce, or what if you don't like the sauce? I would change it, substitute other sauces, or leave it out.

I'm thinking of cooking rice in a variety of ways.

https://www.recipetineats.com/bibimbap/
Bibimbap

. One of Korea's most famous food exports! The key here is the Bibimbap Sauce - feel free to switch the veg and meat, whatever you use is going to be amazing once mixed up with that Sauce. There's a lot of components here but there's repeat ingredients and it's an easy recipe - and it's MEANT to be served at room temp so don't rush!
Ingredients
  • ▢4 cups cooked white rice , preferably short grain (Note 1)
  • ▢4 eggs
  • ▢2 tsp sesame seeds
KOREAN BEEF & MARINADE:
  • ▢250 g/8oz beef tenderloin or thick steak , very finely sliced (subs, Note 2)
  • ▢1/4 green apple , grated using box grater (Note 3)
  • ▢3 garlic cloves , minced
  • ▢1 tbsp soy sauce , light or all purpose (Note 4)
  • ▢1 tbsp honey (or brown sugar)
  • ▢2 tsp sesame oil , toasted (Note 9)
VEGETABLES:
  • ▢2 carrots , large, cut into 5 x 0.5cm/2 x 1/5" batons
  • ▢2 zucchini , large, cut into 5 x 0.5cm/2 x 1/5" batons
  • ▢1 bunch of spinach , cut into 5cm/2" lengths
  • ▢8 dried shiitake mushrooms , large (Note 5)
  • ▢4 cups bean sprouts
  • ▢2 tsp garlic , minced (3 cloves)
  • ▢8 tsp vegetable oil , separated
  • ▢1/2 tsp salt
  • ▢1.5 tsp soy sauce , light or all purpose (Note 4)
  • ▢1/4 tsp fish sauce (sub soy)
  • ▢1/4 tsp white sugar
  • ▢Sesame oil , toasted (Note 9)
BIBIMBAP SAUCE:
  • ▢4 tbsp gochujang paste (Note 6)
  • ▢2 tbsp mirin (Note 7)
  • ▢2 tbsp rice vinegar (Note 8)
  • ▢1.5 tsp soy sauce (Note 4)
  • ▢3 tsp white sugar
  • ▢1 garlic clove , finely grated
  • ▢2.5 tsp sesame oil , toasted (Note 9)
Instructions

BIBIMBAP SAUCE:
  • Mix ingredients until sugar is dissolved.
MARINATED BEEF:
  • Mix the marinade in a bowl, then add beef. Marinate for 30 minutes to overnight.
  • Heat 2 tsp oil in a large skillet over high heat. Let excess marinade drip off then add beef. Cook for 3 - 4 minutes until cooked and there's some caramelised bits, then remove from skillet.
  • Keep warm until required or reheat to warm.
PREPARE VEGETABLES:
  • Shiitake: Soak mushrooms in a large bowl of boiling water for 30 minutes, or until rehydrated. Drain, squeeze out excess water, then slice.
  • Carrot and Zucchini salting (optional, Note 10): Place carrot and zucchini in separate bowls, sprinkle each with 1/4 tsp salt, toss, leave for 20 minutes then drain excess liquid.
COOK VEGETABLES:
  • Get 2 skillets going if you can!
  • Shiitake: Heat 2 tsp oil oil in a skillet over medium high heat. Cook mushrooms for 2 minutes. Add 1.5 tsp soy, 1/4 tsp sugar, 1/2 tsp of garlic. Stir for 1 minute, then remove.
  • Carrot: Add 2 tsp oil into the skillet, cook carrot until just tender (5 to 8 minutes), then remove.
  • Zucchini: Cook as with carrot for 4 minutes.
  • Spinach: Heat 2 tsp veg with a splash of sesame oil. Saute until starting to wilt. Add 1/2 tsp garlic, and salt to taste, stir, then remove. When cool, squeeze to drain out excess liquid.
  • Beansprouts: Simmer in water for 5 min or steam in microwave for 3 min until floppy. Drain under cold water, then cool. Squeeze out excess liquid with hands, place in bowl. Mix with 2 tsp sesame oil, 1 tsp garlic, 1/4 tsp fish sauce.
  • Vegetables can cool, they are meant to be at room temp or slightly warm.
ASSEMBLE:
  • Fry eggs in a skillet to your taste (I like mine with runny yolks).
  • Place warm rice in bowls.
  • Top with vegetables and beef, as pictured in post, then lastly, the egg.
  • Sprinkle with sesame seeds, drizzled with sesame oil. Serve with Bibimbap Sauce!
Recipe Notes:
1. Rice- traditionally served with short grain white rice, can also use sushi rice (which is a short grain rice). Short grain is stickier so it's easier to pick up with chopsticks. Any white or other rice of choice is also fine.

2. Beef - you can buy finely sliced beef in the freezer section of Asian stores, and I strongly urge you to do that if you can, I usually do! To do it yourself (which I did for the video & photos), use any tender cut of beef suitable for quick cooking (I used tenderloin). To slice super finely (the "Asian" way!), freeze for 30 to 60 minutes until firm but not rock hard, then finely slice as thin as possible.

3. Apple- using grated apple and nashi pears is a classic Korean marinade technique. Adds a touch of flavour, sweetness and tenderises the meat.

4. Soy sauce- use light or all purpose soy. Do not use soy labelled as dark soy or sweet soy.

5. Shiitake Mushrooms- dried mushrooms are found in larger supermarkets in Australia, but cheaper at Asian stores! Use 8 large or 12 small.

Sub fresh shiitake (but dried has more intense flavour), or any other fresh mushrooms (skip the soaking step).

6. Gochujang - a spicy red miso based based, lots of umami! Key Korean cooking ingredient. Find it at Asian grocery stores (it’s cheap, ~$2.50, and lasts for ages), at some Woolworths stores (Australia), and here it is on Amazon Australia, US, Canada and UK.

7. Mirin- Sweet Japanese cooking wine, also used in Korean cooking. Sold at Asian grocery stores and large supermarkets (Coles, Woolies, Aldi in Aus)

8. Rice Vinegar- Sold at Asian grocery stores and large supermarkets (Coles, Woolies, Aldi in Aus), sub with apple cider or white wine vinegar.

9. Sesame Oil- use toasted sesame oil, stronger flavour. Toasted is brown liquid, untoasted is yellow (not common in Australia).

10. Optional salting zucchini & carrot- this seasons the veg all the way through. I often skip this and just add the salt when sautéing.

11. Storage- This is SUCH a great meal prep! Keeps for 4 to 5 days. Also great bento box because it's terrific at room temp! Can also freeze the beef straight after adding into marinade (it will marinade as it thaws).

12. Recipe references - I tend to research traditional ethnic foods quite a lot before sharing them so my end result reflects the best bits of all of them and tweaks to my taste! References include online Korean cooking experts such as Maangchi, My Korean Kitchen (Aussie Korean food blog!), Korean Bapsang and Beyond Kimcheeas well as a bunch of Korean cookbooks (some browsed at the library, some at the bookshop and some I own!).

13. Nutrition includes 1 cup of cooked rice per serving.
NUTRITION INFORMATION:
Calories: 689cal (34%)Carbohydrates: 73g (24%)Protein: 27g (54%)Fat: 32g (49%)Saturated Fat: 14g (88%)Cholesterol: 207mg (69%)Sodium: 1021mg (44%)Potassium: 930mg (27%)Fiber: 5g (21%)Sugar: 20g (22%)Vitamin A: 5575IU (112%)Vitamin C: 35mg (42%)Calcium: 100mg (10%)Iron: 4.4mg (24%)

I've seen this recipe as something is served to someone who is not feeling well, without any additions. This recipe takes less time than other recipes I've read. I'll make another post with another recipe for rice congee.

For a meal, there are things that can be added.
https://whattocooktoday.com/how-to-make-rice-porridge.htmlHOW TO MAKE BASIC ASIAN RICE PORRIDGE (CONGEE)

COURSE: BREAKFAST, ENTREE, SIDE DISH
CUISINE: CHINESE

PREP TIME: 5 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 30 MINUTES
TOTAL TIME: 35 MINUTES

SERVINGS: 6 SERVINGS

Learn how to make silky smooth Asian rice porridge (Congee). It can be done on the stove, rice cooker or Instant Pot.

EQUIPMENT
  • Instant Pot
  • Rice Cooker
  • Dutch Oven
INGREDIENTS
  • 1 cups Jasmine rice
  • Water or stock see rice to liquid ratio below
  • Salt to taste
INSTRUCTIONS
RICE TO LIQUID RATIO:
  • For very thick porridge: Rice to liquid ratio is 1:7
  • For thick porridge: Rice to liquid ratio is 1:8
  • For medium-thick porridge: Rice to liquid ratio is 1:9 (I like to use this ratio)
  • For medium-thin congee: Rice to liquid ratio is 1:10
PREPARE THE RICE:
  • Just briefly rinse the rice for any impurities. You may not even need to do so because some brands have prewashed the rice Place the rice and water in a medium-large pot.
COOKING CONGEE ON THE STOVE:
  • Bring the water/stock to a boil and then lower the heat and add the rice. Bring it back to a boil and then lower the heat to medium to let it gently simmer for about 25-30 minutes, stirring every now and then to prevent the rice catching at the bottom of the pot. The rice grains will slowly release more starch and get smoother and creamier starting at about 20 minutes or so
  • If you are adding meat like chicken, beef, pork, fish, add only after the porridge has thickened. Add them in at this point and stir until they are cooked through. Season with salt to your taste and serve immediately while the porridge is hot
  • The longer the porridge sits, the thicker it will get. You can always thin it out by adding more water or stock
COOKING CONGEE WITH INSTANT POT PRESSURE COOKER:
  • Place 1 cup of rice with the amount of water ratio you choose to use. 9 cups is a good one to start if it's your first time making it in instant pot. Less liquid is lost when you cook in Instant pot, so 9 cups of liquid is almost equivalent to 10 cups of liquid cooking on the stove
  • Press pressure cook and set to high pressure. Set timer to 30 minutes. When it's done cooking, release pressure naturally, which may take about 10-15 minutes
  • If the porridge is too thick, you can always think it out by adding more water or stock. If you want to add protein like meat or fish, turn on the saute mode and bring it to a boil and then add in the meat and cook until they are cooked through. Season with salt to your taste
COOKING CONGEE WITH RICE COOKER:
  • Add rice and liquid to the rice cooker. I recommend starting with 9 cups of liquid. This sometimes also depends on your rice cooker, so you may need to experiment. Close the lid and if your rice cooker has porridge setting, use that. If not just press cook and cook for one cycle. When it's done, open up and see if it has thickened to the consistency you like. If it's still watery, cook for another cycle. If it's too thick, you can always add more liquid and stir. It should thin out to the consistency you prefer. Season with salt to your taste
FROZEN RICE CONGEE:
  • Place 1 cup of briefly washed rice or whatever quantity you want in a freezer-friendly bag and let it freeze for at least 6 hours (12 hours if you have the time). You can freeze several bags for future use too. Frozen rice be kept in the fridge for up to 3 months
  • When ready to cook, place water or stock in a medium-large pot and with the amount of water ratio you like. I use 9 cups and bring to a boil and then add the frozen rice grains (without thawing). Bring it back to a boil and lower the heat to low-medium. let it simmer for 20 minutes over medium heat until thickened to the consistency you like. Stir every now and then to prevent the rice from catching at the bottom and burn
  • If you are adding meat like chicken, beef, pork, fish, add only after the porridge has thickened. Add them in at this point and stir until they are cooked through. Season with salt to your taste and serve immediately while the porridge is hot
NOTES
1. The longer the porridge sit, the thicker it will get. If you have leftover and need to reheat it, just add about 1/2 to 1 cup of water and it will "loosen" the porridge back to the consistency you like

NUTRITION
Serving: 1Cup | Calories: 92kcal | Carbohydrates: 21g | Protein: 2g | Sodium: 10mg
How to Make Basic Asian Rice Porridge (Congee) How to Make Basic Asian Rice Porridge (Congee)

I started this thread, but didn't share any recipes. I have read many over the years, but honestly, in spite of having some rice stored, I rarely eat it. I was looking for a recipe for Dirty Rice, something that I've eaten, but never cooked.

Any one with a better recipe?
https://www.justapinch.com/recipes/main-course/main-course-pork/new-orleans-dirty-rice.html
Well, it seems no one cooks dirty rice. I haven't had it in years, but I like it. This is one way to use freeze dried sausage.
I'm trying to build up a collection of recipes here that will give variety in case we get to the days of having rice and just a few other things.
I clicked on that dirty rice link and will paste the recipe here.

I could live without the chicken livers!

SERVES 8-10
PREP TIME 20 Min
COOK TIME 45 Min
METHOD Stove Top

Ingredients For New Orleans Dirty Rice
  • 1 lb bulk pork breakfast sausage (jimmy dean, hot or mild)
  • 1 lb chicken livers, chopped fine or ground
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce (lea & perrins)
  • 1 md green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 lg onion, diced
  • 2 stalk celery, chopped fine
  • 2 c converted long grain rice (zatarain's or uncle ben's)
  • 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
  • 3 clove or "toes" garlic, minced

• salt, black & cayenne pepper to taste
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) low sodium beef broth
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) low sodium chicken broth
  • 3-4 oz water or as needed
  • 2 tsp cajun/creole seasoning, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp sage *see cook's notes
  • 2-3 bay leaves
  • 1 1/2 c fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, over medium-high heat, sauté the sausage, beef, and livers until no pink remains. Drain all but 3 Tbsp from the pan. (If sausage is very lean add bacon grease or butter to pan to make 3 Tbsp.)
Add the bell pepper, onions, and celery. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
    Cook for 5-7 minutes until the veggies begin to soften and brown. Add the rice, green onions, and garlic; continue to stir for 1-2 minutes until the rice begins to toast or turn brown.

Add the worcestershire sauce, beef & chicken stock, creole seasoning, sage, and bay leaves. Mix well, turn the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Cook until the rice is fully tender and the broth has been absorbed. Stir well and remove from heat, then stir in the chopped parsley.
*Cooks Notes:
Don't let the Sage scare you off because you don't taste the small amount of sage in this recipe but it does make a difference in the taste, so don't leave it out. I personally do not like sage in anything, but this recipe is the exception.

Some people like to put diced pork or Andouille sausage in their Dirty Rice, which is fine - almost anything goes, however, adding sausage or tomatoes will lean the dish towards a Jambalaya. Dirty Rice shouldn't be too wet or gummy, the grains should separate easily and still be moist enough to hold together on your fork.

Since my freeze dried mango finally came today, I had to look for a recipe for mango sticky rice. We have a Thai restaurant locally that makes it and it is delicious. It is best when served warm. I've never had it with sesame seeds.

Sticky Rice with Mango
https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/sticky-rice-with-mango-12066Ingredients
Serves 6
1½ cups glutinous (sweet) rice
1⅓ cups well-stirred canned unsweetened coconut milk
⅓ cup plus 3 tablespoons sugar
¼ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted lightly
1 large mango, peeled, pitted, and cut into thin slices (at least 24)

Step 1
In a bowl wash rice well in several changes of cold water until water is clear. Soak rice in cold water to cover overnight.
Step 2
Drain rice well in a sieve. Set sieve over a large deep saucepan of simmering water (sieve should not touch water) and steam rice, covered with a kitchen towel and a lid, 30 to 40 minutes, or until tender (check water level in pan occasionally, adding more water if necessary).
Step 3
While rice is cooking, in a small saucepan bring 1 cup coconut milk to a boil with ⅓ cup sugar and salt, stirring until sugar is dissolved, and remove from heat. Keep mixture warm.
Step 4
Transfer cooked rice to a bowl and stir in coconut-milk mixture. Let rice stand, covered, 30 minutes, or until coconut-milk mixture is absorbed. Rice may be prepared up to this point 2 hours ahead and kept covered at room temperature.
Step 5
While rice is standing, in cleaned small pan slowly boil remaining ⅓ cup coconut milk with remaining 3 tablespoons sugar, stirring occasionally, 1 minute. Transfer sauce to a small bowl and chill until cool and thickened slightly.
Step 6
To serve, mold ¼ cup servings of sticky rice on dessert plates. Drizzle desserts with sauce and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Divide mango slices among plates.

Risotto for Beginners
https://www.thespruceeats.com/risotto-recipe-for-beginners-996008
Risotto is a traditional Italian rice dish made from a short-grained, starchy variety of rice called Arborio rice. A properly cooked risotto should form a soft, creamy mound on a dinner plate—it shouldn't run across the plate, nor should it be stiff or gluey. While not difficult, some essential tips will help you make restaurant-worthy risotto at home.

This basic risotto recipe is made with butter, Parmesan cheese, and fresh parsley. It's a perfect recipe to start with if you've never made risotto before. Risotto takes a while to cook properly, and it requires your attention as well as your time. For upward of 20 minutes, you have one job and one job only: Add hot stock, a ladleful at a time, to the rice and cook slowly, stirring often, so that the stock is absorbed. The technique is called the risotto method. It releases the rice's starches, producing a creamy, velvety dish.

Risotto is best served warm, often in heated bowls or plates. It can be a side dish to a meat or fish entrée and is often served in restaurants as the first course. Once you perfect a basic risotto, you can try a variety of risotto recipes that include vegetables and proteins such as lobster and chicken. Accompany the risotto with a salad or cooked vegetables and Italian bread.

Ingredients
  • 4 cups (1 quart) chicken stock
  • 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
  • 3 tablespoons butter, divided
  • 1 medium shallot, chopped (about 1/2 cup; or 1/2 small onion, chopped)
  • 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
  • 1/2 cup dry vermouth (or dry white wine)
  • 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1 tablespoon Italian parsley, chopped
  • Kosher salt, to taste
  • Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Steps to Make It
  1. Gather the ingredients.
    Ingredients for risotto

2. In a medium saucepan, heat the stock to a simmer. Lower the heat so the stock stays hot while you cook the risotto.
    Heating the stock

3. In a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan, heat the oil and 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. When the butter has melted, add the chopped shallot or onion. Sauté for 2 to 3 minutes or until slightly translucent.
    Heating the oil and chopped shallot

4. Add the rice to the pot and stir it briskly with a wooden spoon so that the grains are coated with the oil and melted butter. Sauté for another minute or so, until there is a slightly nutty aroma. Make sure not to let the rice turn brown.
    Adding the rice and stirring it with a wooden spoon

5. Add the vermouth or wine and cook while stirring, until the liquid is fully absorbed.
    Adding the vermouth and stirring it with a wooden spoon

6. Add a ladle of hot chicken stock to the rice and stir every once in a while until the liquid is fully absorbed. When the rice appears almost dry, add another ladle of stock and repeat the process.
    Adding the chicken stock and stirring it with a wooden spoon

7. Continue adding stock, a ladle at a time, for about 20 minutes or until the grains are tender but still firm to the bite, without being crunchy (al dente).
    Adding more stock and stirring with a wooden spoon

8. Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and the Parmesan cheese and parsley. Season to taste with kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
    Stirring in butter, Parmesan cheese, and parsley

9. Serve in bowls and enjoy.
    Risotto served in a bowl
Tips
  • Timing is key to making a perfect risotto. When you add a ladle of broth or wine to the risotto, make sure that you wait until the risotto has almost completely absorbed the liquid and the rice is nearly dry before you add the next portion of broth. Rushing the process will result in rice that may be mushy on the outside and crunchy on the inside.
  • Although many risotto recipes say to stir constantly, this can change the texture of the rice and make it gluey. After adding a ladle of hot stock, stir every once in a while to incorporate the liquid and keep the rice from sticking to the pot and scorching.
  • If you run out of stock and the risotto is still crunchy, finish cooking it with hot water. Add the water a ladle at a time, stirring often until it's absorbed.
Can I Substitute Another Type of Rice?
The type of rice is a key component of risotto. The best Arborio substitutes are carnaroli and Vialone Nano. Both are high-starch varieties and commonly used in Italian kitchens for this dish. Farro and sushi rice will work in a pinch. Avoid long-grain rice varieties like jasmine as these will not result in a creamy risotto.
Recipe Variations
  • Turn this risotto recipe into a main dish by adding cooked shrimp, grilled chicken, or sautéed mushrooms during the last step.
  • Change the flavor of the dish by swapping out the Parmesan for Pecorino Romano, mozzarella, fontina, or gruyere.
Is This How Restaurants Cook Risotto?
What's interesting about the risotto method is that it's so time- and labor-intensive that restaurants can't use it. It would take too long to make, and patrons don't like waiting half an hour for their food. Instead, restaurants use an alternate method that involves par cooking the rice and then finishing it at the last minute. It gets complicated because Arborio rice will turn glutinous and sticky if held too long, so many restaurants do not make a true risotto.
How to Store and Reheat
  • Leftover risotto should be refrigerated in an airtight container and eaten within two days. It does not freeze well.
  • To reheat risotto on the stovetop, bring stock or water to a boil. Reduce the heat and add the risotto, stirring for a few minutes until it's heated through. Start with 1/4 cup of liquid for 1 cup of risotto and add a little more liquid if needed.
  • To reheat in the microwave, add 1 tablespoon of butter and a splash of white wine or water to the risotto. Microwave for about 3 minutes, stir, check the risotto's temperature, and cook longer or add liquid if needed.

Best-Ever Rice Pudding

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-ideas/a28712015/easy-rice-pudding-recipe/
YIELDS: 6 SERVINGS
PREP TIME: 0 HOURS 5 MINS
TOTAL TIME:1 HOUR 0 MINS

INGREDIENTS

5 1/2 c. whole milk, divided
1/2 c. packed light brown sugar
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1/2 c. Jasmine rice
1 tbsp. butter
2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon, for garnish

DIRECTIONS
  1. In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine 5 cups milk, sugar, and salt. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
  2. When milk is boiling, add rice and reduce to a simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mixture is thick and rice is tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
  3. Remove from heat and stir in butter, vanilla, and remaining ½ cup milk. Serve hot or chill in refrigerator and serve cold, with a sprinkle of cinnamon.

I have a bunch of rice recipes,
One is Polsk, no idea what the real name is, but you add rice, browned hamburger, mushrooms, peppers, onions and celery to spaghetti sauce
and cover it in cheese.

Another is boil rice in chicken broth and a tablespoon of butter, just as it gets done, add a bit more boiling broth and crack 6 eggs on top and simmer for three minutes and let stand for ten.

Michigan State University has a free library collection of old and newer recipe books from different companies.
I did a search for just Rice and came up with a list dating from 1870 up to the middle 2000's of recipe books for rice.
https://lib.msu.edu/sliker/search/?ss=%252ARice&fts=0&current_page=1
You click on the "View More Information" and it will take you to the download page.
You'll see a description of the book .
Next you click on the "View Item" and it will start a download of a pdf file for you to look at.
If you want the book, click on the download icon in the upper right corner of the file and save it to where ever you want it in your documents.
If you don't want it, just close the download
*I always right-click the view more information so it opens in a new tab and I can close it easy without losing the original tab*

If you want to check out the other books you'll have to click on the "Browse Collection" first, then you can choose a company from the left side listing.

I wondered about making this from food storage. If I was using dehydrated or canned vegetables, I would add them closer to the end of the rice cooking.

https://www.myplate.gov/recipes/sup..._content=monthly+nutrition+email+-+2022+march
Indian Vegetable and Rice Skillet Meal
Makes:10 servings

Ingredients
  • 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
  • 1 onion (chopped)
  • 1 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 2 cups mixed vegetables (chopped cauliflower, peppers, carrots, or peas)
  • 1 baking potato (large)
  • 1 cup white rice (uncooked)
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1 can kidney beans (15 ounces, drained, rinsed)
  • 1/2 salt (1/2 teaspoon, optional)
Directions
1. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
2. Add onion, ginger, turmeric, and cumin, and stir while cooking for 1 minute.
3. Add remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat.
4. Simmer 20-25 minutes. Serve hot.
5. Refrigerate leftovers with in 2-3 hours.

Well, it seems no one cooks dirty rice. I haven't had it in years, but I like it. This is one way to use freeze dried sausage.
I'm trying to build up a collection of recipes here that will give variety in case we get to the days of having rice and just a few other things.
I clicked on that dirty rice link and will paste the recipe here.

I could live without the chicken livers!

SERVES 8-10
PREP TIME 20 Min
COOK TIME 45 Min
METHOD Stove Top

Ingredients For New Orleans Dirty Rice
  • 1 lb bulk pork breakfast sausage (jimmy dean, hot or mild)
  • 1 lb chicken livers, chopped fine or ground
  • 1 lb ground beef
  • 2 Tbsp worcestershire sauce (lea & perrins)
  • 1 md green bell pepper, diced
  • 1 lg onion, diced
  • 2 stalk celery, chopped fine
  • 2 c converted long grain rice (zatarain's or uncle ben's)
  • 1 bunch green onions, sliced thin
  • 3 clove or "toes" garlic, minced

• salt, black & cayenne pepper to taste
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) low sodium beef broth
  • 1 can (14.5 oz) low sodium chicken broth
  • 3-4 oz water or as needed
  • 2 tsp cajun/creole seasoning, or to taste
  • 1/2 tsp sage *see cook's notes
  • 2-3 bay leaves
  • 1 1/2 c fresh chopped flat leaf parsley
In a large Dutch oven or saucepan, over medium-high heat, sauté the sausage, beef, and livers until no pink remains. Drain all but 3 Tbsp from the pan. (If sausage is very lean add bacon grease or butter to pan to make 3 Tbsp.)
Add the bell pepper, onions, and celery. Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
    Cook for 5-7 minutes until the veggies begin to soften and brown. Add the rice, green onions, and garlic; continue to stir for 1-2 minutes until the rice begins to toast or turn brown.

Add the worcestershire sauce, beef & chicken stock, creole seasoning, sage, and bay leaves. Mix well, turn the heat to low, cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
Cook until the rice is fully tender and the broth has been absorbed. Stir well and remove from heat, then stir in the chopped parsley.
*Cooks Notes:
Don't let the Sage scare you off because you don't taste the small amount of sage in this recipe but it does make a difference in the taste, so don't leave it out. I personally do not like sage in anything, but this recipe is the exception.

Some people like to put diced pork or Andouille sausage in their Dirty Rice, which is fine - almost anything goes, however, adding sausage or tomatoes will lean the dish towards a Jambalaya. Dirty Rice shouldn't be too wet or gummy, the grains should separate easily and still be moist enough to hold together on your fork.

I love dirty rice, but to do it well required skills I didn't have until recently. Bad dirty rice is disgusting.

The other reason I haven't tried it... cooking for one, it doesn't do well as leftovers for more than a day. After a couple days in the fridge the rice dries out.

Have to reconsider cooking it now. I've also gotten better at scaling recipes down or up.

Thanks for posting.

I love dirty rice, but to do it well required skills I didn't have until recently. The other reason I haven't tried it... cooking for one, it doesn't do well as leftovers for more than a day. After a couple days in the fridge the rice dries out.

Have to reconsider cooking it now. I've also gotten better at scaling recipes down or up.

Thanks for posting.
I've never cooked it, but I've eaten it a couple of times. I remember it quite fondly. Thank you. Good to know about it.

Rice Calas - New Orleans Rice Fritters

Anyone ever have these? Or make them?

https://www.thespruceeats.com/rice-calas-new-orleans-rice-fritters-3056336
Prep:15 mins
Cook:20 mins
Total:35 mins
Servings:18 servings
Yield:18 fritters

Calas, an old New Orleans tradition, is a breakfast fritter mixed with cooked rice, flour, sugar, and spices, and then deep-fried. According to "The Dictionary of American Food & Drink," the word Calas was first printed in 1880, and comes from one or more African languages, such as the Nupe word kárá, or "fried cake."

The origin is most often attributed to enslaved people from Africa's rice-growing regions, but others believe the origin is French because of the similarity to a 1653 recipe for beignets de riz.

Creole street vendors sold the fresh hot calas in the city's French Quarter, with the familiar cry, "Calas, belles, calas tout chauds!"

Bits of the rice around the surface of the fritters will crisp a bit, adding to the wonderful texture.

Ingredients
  • 3 large eggs
  • 2 cups cooked rice, cooled
  • 1/3 cup sugar
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1 cup all-purpose flour, or enough to make a good drop fritter batter
  • Oil, for deep-frying
  • 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
Steps to Make It
  1. Whisk the eggs until well beaten.

2. Stir in the cooled rice, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, vanilla, and baking powder.

3. Add about 1 cup of flour or just enough flour to hold the batter together. It should be thick enough to drop from a spoon and stay together but not too thick.

4. Heat oil in the deep fryer to 365 F.

5. Drop batter by heaping teaspoonfuls or small cookie scoop into the hot oil.

6. Fry in small batches for about 4 to 6 minutes, until golden brown and crisp, turning to brown evenly.

7. Drain on paper towels and generously sprinkle with confectioners' sugar.

Creamy Portuguese Rice Pudding (Arroz Doce)
https://www.thespruceeats.com/rice-pudding-arroz-doce-2743417
Prep:15 mins
Cook:60 mins
Total:75 mins
Servings:4 servings

When most people think of rice pudding, they think of that dessert that is found in the glass refrigerated cabinets in diners―a cold, white pudding in a stemmed glass with whipped cream and a maraschino cherry on top. But the Portuguese version is different and, in fact, if you translate it into English it actually means "sweet rice."

What makes it different is that Arroz Doce is made from a short-grain rice (such as arborio rice) that is cooked slowly, is creamier than the diner version, and is flavored with lemon peel.

Arroz Doce is truly a favorite Portuguese dessert and is almost like an ice-cream cone to children who grew up with it. It is generally served chilled, but some people prefer theirs at room temperature or slightly warm. That's certainly not traditional, so don't expect to find it that way if you visit a Portuguese family.

Ingredients
  • 2 1/4 cups water
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 lemon, zest removed in long strips, avoid as much of the white pith as possible
  • 1 cup short-grain rice, such as Arborio
  • 2 cups hot milk, or a combination of milk and cream for a richer consistency and flavor
  • Ground cinnamon, for garnish
  • Paper-thin lemon slices, for garnish
Steps to Make It
  1. Place the water, salt, and lemon peel into a medium pan and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low and allow the water to simmer with a lid on for about 15 minutes.

2. Remove the lemon peel from the water with a slotted spoon and discard.

3. Add the rice to the water and bring it back up to a boil. Then reduce it to a simmer and allow the rice to absorb all of the water (about 10 minutes).

4. Now slowly add the hot milk, a bit at a time, to the rice mixture. After each addition (of about 1/2 cup), allow the liquid to absorb before adding the next batch of milk. Stir frequently and keep the heat low, so that the rice does not burn at the bottom of the pan. This should take about 25 to 30 minutes.

5. Pour the rice into a serving dish. Sprinkle the top with the cinnamon and the lemon slice if you like.

6. Chill the rice and then serve.
Tips
  • Arroz Doce recipes vary a bit and produce creamier or more solid versions, depending on the family and part of Portugal the recipe comes from. The recipe above is on the creamier side.
  • The method of slowly adding the milk comes from Jean Anderson's book, "The Foods of Portugal." It actually works a little better than dumping all of the milk in at once and is very similar to making risotto.
  • The Portuguese usually sprinkle cinnamon on top of the dessert after it is poured into a serving dish. Very often, it is done in the shape of a heart or a lattice pattern, but you can also just sprinkle it on.

I don't eat a lot of sweets, cakes and pies. Rice pudding is way at the bottom of my list. Just never cared for it. I like rice, like pudding, just not at the same time.

I don't eat a lot of sweets, cakes and pies. Rice pudding is way at the bottom of my list. Just never cared for it. I like rice, like pudding, just not at the same time.
I've eaten it, but only a few times. I really try to stay away from sweets. I don't need the sugar. I do know a few people who really like it, including my daughter. It's gluten free as are most rice recipes.

This recipe seems somewhat similar to the New Orleans calas recipe I previously posted, but savory, as opposed to the sweet calas.

Aubergine: egg plant

Arancini

Deep-fried rice balls filled with your favorites: capers, pesto, aubergine, meat sauce, mozzarella, ham and butter.

Prep Time45 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time1 hr

Servings: 6

Calories: 460kcal

Author: Gaila - The Petit Gourmet

Ingredients
  • 1 lb of arborio rice this is the type of rice used to make risotto
  • 4 oz of fresh mozzarella grated
  • 4 oz of ham chopped
  • 1 tablespoon of butter chopped
  • 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese grated
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 1/2 cups of breadcrumbs
  • 1 cup of all purpose flour
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 cups of your favorite marinara sauce
  • a little olive oil
  • Vegetable oil for frying

Instructions
  • Cook the rice in salted water until soft. Drain it well, add the grated cheese, some freshly ground black pepper and mix well. Let it cool.
  • Prepare the breadcrumbs in a plate or a serving tray, put the eggs in a bowl and beat them a little, the flour in another serving plate, then your filling of choice in another plate (for this recipe I chose to fill the balls with a ham and butter mixture), take a spoonful of the cooled rice and spread it in your hand, add your filling in the middle and with your other hand try closing the rice over the filling, put the rice ball aside and make all the balls you can with this recipe, in my case I don't like making them too large, (mine are a lemon size) so I get between 12 and 15 balls from this recipe. When you finish all the rice, then roll the balls, one by one in the flour, then in the egg and then in the breadcrumbs. Fry in hot oil (I prefer that the oil level is up the at least the half of the balls so that way I only have to turned them once in order to get a perfect color all around) until golden brown and place then place in absorbent paper to remove any excess oil.
  • Warm up the sauce, when ready spoon over the serving plates and then place 3 to 4 balls per plate, serve right away.
Nutrition
Serving: 6g | Calories: 460kcal | Carbohydrates: 154g | Protein: 37g | Fat: 20g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 151mg | Sodium: 1439mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 10g

I love dirty rice, but to do it well required skills I didn't have until recently. Bad dirty rice is disgusting.

The other reason I haven't tried it... cooking for one, it doesn't do well as leftovers for more than a day. After a couple days in the fridge the rice dries out.

Thanks for posting.

If you sprinkle rice with a bit of water before you reheat it, it helps revive it, even if it was in the fridge. I do find that short-grained rice reheats better than long-grained. Using a container with a gasket lid helps it stay fresher longer in the fridge too.

I am with you on that one. I love dirty rice as well, but have never had the courage (or the skills) to try it on my own. I always opt for the box version. What is the key to making it correctly from scratch?

I have a recipe that is close to the rice you can get at those Kabachi restaurants.

I make the white rice beforehand on the stove:
1) measure 1 cup of rice and put in pan
2) cover with 2 inches of water and let soak for 15-20 minutes
3) drain water and rinse again if desired
4) add 1 cup of water (a bit more for brown rice) and 2 Tbsp butter
5) put the pot on the stove over med high heat until liquid comes to a boil, then turn heat to low and cook for 10-15 minutes with cover on, or you can just turn the heat off and cover it.

OR, you can make the rice in a rice cooker if you have one.

I put the rice in a container and put it in the frig until the next day. I do it that way to stiffen up the rice before re-cooking it. Although, I'm sure you could do it all in one day if you wanted to. Also make the Yum Yum sauce since it should be refrigerated overnight too.

Yum Yum Sauce:
1 cup mayo
1 Tbsp melted butter
1.5 tsp tomato paste
1 Tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp all spice
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp paprika
pinch salt
2 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp sariracha
pinch ceyanne powder
1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
Whisk until smooth and Refrigerate overnight.....

The next day....

I coat a nonstick pan with olive or cannola oil and heat on med high heat for a few minutes. Add 1 egg whisked in bowl along with about 1/2 cup mixed thawed veges and 1/2 tsp minced garlic. Cook until the egg is cooked through while mixing thorugh the contents for even heating and so the egg breaks up in small pieces for even distribution. Add 2 cups cooked rice and 4 1/2 Tbsp soy sauce. Cook mixture until almost dry, as it will dry as it sits.
* I add and additional egg and extra soy sauce b/c we like it that way......

Before serving add yum yum sauce. You can buy it at the store or you can make your own.

Latest posts

Back