Rice: Whats the best bang for my buck?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
walmart long grain white rice 20# bags $9.78....was $7something earlier in year.

walmart jasmine 20# is $16.74 now.

walmart basmati 5# is $8.16 now.

I buy at the asian market in the college town, biggest bag is 25lb. I like jasmine rice also but I don't remember cost, it was some time ago.

Last week I noticed they had plenty, a dozen varieties but I'm stocked up, didn't look at the prices.

Rice jasmine 6  a.JPG

Over in Arkansas and in parts of SC they grow some great rice. Mississippi had great rice too. My only option for filling a few buckets with rice happened to be an asian rice I liked. I've only seen generic and specialty rices in small quantities around here. If I went to Birmingham I could find good US rice in quantity..

Last edited:
We also buy Falcon brand from Louisiana in the 25 pound bag.
It's not bad, in the Insta Pot it gets nice and sticky.

We eat a lot of rice, and the wife has "a few" 5 gallon buckets full carefully preserved. We are good on rice for 10, maybe 15 years.:)

Like others here, I recommend the Thai Jasmine rice, to me it has the best flavor. Back in my 'trucking daze' I would see many huge rice farming operations in Arkansas and the Gulf Coast states. I recently bought more Thai Jasmine rice, and I also picked up a bag of '4 Sisters' white rice grown on a farm in Louisiana... haven't tried it yet, but it looks okay in the bag, lol. One thing nice about the Thai Jasmine rice, if you don't have a rice cooker you can use the microwave, and it still comes out pretty tasty... ;)

This rice will likely be cooked over propane or a wood fire. :)
Possibly added to crock pot fare as long as the power holds.
90% will be added to beans or black eyed peas. is there such a
thing as dehydrated fat back pork?

Dunno about the pork, but the rice and beans sound good, lol. I often use rice in soups, like turkey soup during the holidays, and it is delicious! When it comes to filling out soups, I use rice or pasta, either one will make a soup much heartier... my turkey soup has veggies too, carrots, celery, onions, etc. That soup is a meal in itself, but a slab of French or Italian bread with butter on the side doesn't hurt either, lol. ;)

I buy at the asian market in the college town, biggest bag is 25lb. I like jasmine rice also but I don't remember cost, it was some time ago.

Last week I noticed they had plenty, a dozen varieties but I'm stocked up, didn't look at the prices.

View attachment 93320

That’s what we eat. Costco carries it in 50 lb bags.

Okay, I did this exercise about 10 years back and I put things into $/1000 calories, here are my top 8.

The prices have changed but relative speaking the order should be correct. Canned goods got a little more expensive starting at about $3/ Kraft Mac n cheese came in at about $3.25/

rice about $0.28/
Raman Noodles about $0.58/
Cooking oil about $0.60/
Spagetti noodles about $0.76/
Dry Pinto Beans (most beans) about $0.85/
Pancake Mix about $0.90/
Oatmeal about $1/
Peanut Butter about $1.25/

I ended up with a lot of data and some of the results were surprising:

1661710566654.png

Interesting fact.
Ag-Fact-Friday_5-8-20_Rice-1-768x459.jpg
Yes, many people don't know that and assume we get most of it from China because it is synonymous with them.
Even though we produce tons of the stuff here, I am absolutely no help when it comes to rice. :(
I ate too much of it growing up and prayed for the day that I wouldn't have to eat it anymore.
The only way I can tolerate it today is in Shrimp Fried Rice because it is mostly other stuff.
Plentiful, and always will be:
medium_50lbs.png

Rayne is about 30 miles from me today, and I actually did some work for that company back in the mid-80's. :oops:

Rice in 'edible' forms:
shrimp-fried-rice-5-500x500.jpg

More edible rice:
Shrimp-Fried-Rice-DSC_0125.jpg

Last edited:
I try to sit on 6 months of canned stuff at any given time, so that will add to my caloric intake. I think I have half a case of corned beef, just by itself, 2 cases of ravioli, a case of various beans, canned fruits. (need more of them!)
I need a few jugs of honey. a quart does me a year. I had to start eating my chocolate supply, the dates were running out. I need some gravy mixes and powdered cheese to go with my insane supply of potato flakes. Potatoes are like rice to me, use them in everything. and luckily, there are fruit and walnut trees on my 20. I'll eat fair even without hunting, BUT if I could get back to the wood dump, I'd have access to more wild game and fish.

Someday I'll put up my memoirs of being a hillbilly poacher. they will NOT be for the squeamish, and I'd NEVER condone any of it unless it was for feeding one's family!

For us we have 2 approaches, the low salt stuff the wife can eat and the trash that is easy to fix for me. We use every type of dry bean on the planet, wife likes them all, lintels and peas get canned for our quick meals. I keep our dry beans in 5 gallon buckets with lids on them. She can't handle too much of the starch from rice and potatoes, I have a few boxes of flakes and a couple hundred pounds of the rice. I seal-a-meal the rice and store it in old ice chests under my food storage shelves.

For my "trash food", I like raman noodles, canned soups, ravoli, pork-n-beans, I keep about 8 flats of each. I also like instant oatmeal for breakfasts, I keep a couple dozen boxes of them on hand....

One trick that I use for a heavy lunch is a packet of the raman noodles, dump a can of condensed soup (Beef Vegetable) over them, and 1 can of water.

My advice is to eat what you store and store what you eat... emergency food storage that you can't eat doesn't help anyone....

Oh, on pastas and dry beans remember that you will need lots of liquid. Water is one of the most under rated food storage items and the only one you can't live without...

If I could make a suggestion.
Forget any recipe you have ever heard of for cooking plain rice, and use the Vietnamese peasant way.

In your pot, put two parts water to one part rice. For example, 2 cups water/1 cup rice.
With a nice big flame, or high if electric, bring it to a nice roaring boil. Drop temp to low, stir once to loosen any stuck to the bottom, and cover with a lid. Let it simmer until cooked through. Turn heat completely off, leave covered for 2 or 3 minutes and any excess water will be absorbed.

Latest posts

Back