Riding Mowers

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With a zero turn it works best to mow downhill. But it takes a pretty good hill to roll one regardless.

I ain't never worried rolling mine...but I've had to pull it out of a ditch , or the woods , a time or 3 ,
Because on hills , once they start sliding, downhill or side of hill...it's gone baby...ain't no stopping.

Uphill they are a beast , no problem.
Never have had front wheels off ground, of course mine is heavy commercial.

You seen my front yard...you don't go down that on a zero turn , skid marks 75 feet long looks bad.:D

what goes up must come down :ghostly:

Jim

I ain't never worried rolling mine...but I've had to pull it out of a ditch , or the woods , a time or 3 ,
Because on hills , once they start sliding, downhill or side of hill...it's gone baby...ain't no stopping.

Uphill they are a beast , no problem.
Never have had front wheels off ground, of course mine is heavy commercial.

You seen my front yard...you don't go down that on a zero turn , skid marks 75 feet long looks bad.:D

what goes up must come down :ghostly:

Jim
I've slid off into a ditch or two. The nice thing about a zero turn is that you can get off, stand next to it, and veeeerrrrry gently ease it forward or back with the levers. I've found they tend to come out pretty easy without the rider's weight on them...kind of like putting an old VW Bug in the ditch. When everybody jumps out to push, and there's no weight left in it, it will pull itself right out.

I am too big a chicken to use it around the pond...dancing chicken

I almost went in once.
This is common around here with new owners.:D
DSC-0070-JPG-1-.jpg

Jim

I too have a Country Clipper (Charger model). It'll climb hills like a billy goat. Hills that a person has a hard time walking straight up.
For any ZTR on hills:
If you go straight up, the front end gets very light.
If you go across the side of it, it'll have a tendency to slide down the hill.
For best results, go at a 45° angle up the hill so you wipe out both of the aforementioned issues.

My bride and I went shopping for a zero turn mower on Thursday and Friday. Pulled the trigger (not figuratively) on a medium size commercial zero turn by Ferris. Paid about 1/3 the price of a small compact tractor, but it is a one trick pony. We both took turns mowing today, and it mowed very well. We got a 61" deck and it should last us a really long time. One thing I thought was amazing is their deck warranty. Lifetime against rust through. 27 HP Briggs and Stratton, with a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty. Thinking we made the right decision. Time will tell.........

Of course!

I would if I could...

My dads old riding mower is an off brand he got at sears. If I leave the ignition switch in the normal “run” position after starting the mower it kills the engine…

1) If I put into one of the reverse gears while the blade is engaged…

2) Putting it in reverse will not kill the engine if the blade is not engaged…

3) The seat safety kill switch will not kill the engine if the blade is not engaged and a weird little safety brake is pushed forward.

4) the seat safety kill switch will kill the engine if the blade is engaged… it does not matter if the safety brake is set or not.

5) There is an ignition switch setting in between “Off” and “Run”. Set there I can back up the mower with the blade engaged.

6) With the ignition switch in between Off and Run… All the other “rules” involving the blade engaged, safety brake and seat safety kill switch change.

I lifted the mower with the frontend loader once to look at the wiring. I decided the only thing that could help was a 12 gauge.

The person(s) who designed this should spend eternity in hell being chased by lawn mowers… gaah

This is a lawnmower for chrissake.... not a vault at fort knox!

Last edited:
unfortunately, your budget is kinda slim. I know this, because it was MY budget as well. If you want mowing and light duty pulling, then find a riding mower that is shaft driven. Also..... stay away from big box John Deere. They are VERY well know for cheap transmissions. i had one go out on me, and the JD mechanic told me they were only good for about 7 years. That's not good enough for me.

Latest posts

Back