Riding the modified KLR 650 in the Sacramento Mountains of New Mexico...

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The weather was ideal once I was up in the mountains, but that carb trouble took all the enjoyment out of the ride... oh, well, ya win some, ya lose some. If a full carb rebuild is necessary, then I probably won't be riding for awhile, since I have a former home rehab commitment with that kitchen painting project. Maybe I'll luck out and the chemical additive will dissolve whatever is obstructing fuel delivery... won't hurt to try, but a full rebuild will have to wait awhile. Too bad I can't pull the bike into the home and work on it in the A/C, but those steps would be too dangerous to attempt on this bike, and I danged sure won't be lifting the bike up those stairs... not a chance, I already had one hernia operation, lol. :oops:

I'm seriously considering going back to the mini & pit bike scene, find myself a fat-tired mini for trail riding and desert dunes... I had fun with this KLR earlier, but it's starting to be a PITA and I have a lot of other stuff to do, ya know? 😒

The weather was ideal once I was up in the mountains, but that carb trouble took all the enjoyment out of the ride... oh, well, ya win some, ya lose some. If a full carb rebuild is necessary, then I probably won't be riding for awhile, since I have a former home rehab commitment with that kitchen painting project. Maybe I'll luck out and the chemical additive will dissolve whatever is obstructing fuel delivery... won't hurt to try, but a full rebuild will have to wait awhile. Too bad I can't pull the bike into the home and work on it in the A/C, but those steps would be too dangerous to attempt on this bike, and I danged sure won't be lifting the bike up those stairs... not a chance, I already had one hernia operation, lol. :oops:

I'm seriously considering going back to the mini & pit bike scene, find myself a fat-tired mini for trail riding and desert dunes... I had fun with this KLR earlier, but it's starting to be a PITA and I have a lot of other stuff to do, ya know? 😒
You need a ramp!🤔😉

Looks like it was a great day for a ride, I got out for a little sun myself.

It may be the gas if your bike sat for a while. I had gas go bad over the winter and I used a stablizer. Everything else we buy has gone down hill, why not fuel?

Okay, after letting the Sea Foam sit in the tank overnight, I went for a check ride out on US-54, and the bike showed vast improvement... I was actually able to hit the bike's top speed of 90 MPH, and there were times when the throttle offered full power. However, the bike also had momentary stuttering, sputtering, and loss of power at times, so the problem isn't solved yet, but I think this sort of behavior is NOT due to a clogged carb jet, I reckon the obstruction is elsewhere in the fuel line or system. Whaddya think, Bacpacker? In my riding experience, a clogged carb jet won't show any signs of improvement whatsoever, it'll just stay clogged... so this check ride offers some hope that I won't have to tear apart the carb after all, but I still have to locate the blockage and remove it, or dissolve it with this Sea Foam (and the other brand of fuel system cleaner I bought, which will go into the tank next). It was nice to feel some power back in the throttle, but I need to eliminate that stuttering & sputtering, along with that occasional loss of power... 😒

To be honest with ya, I just wanna get the bike running well enough to sell it and buy a new mini or pit bike, maybe a used full-sized Japanese dirt bike if I can find one at a reasonable cost. I've had a lot of fun on this KLR, but it's just too large and heavy for long-term trail riding, ya know? I've made it work on many occasions, but I miss the feel of a lighter bike with a superior power-to-weight ratio. We'll see what happens... first I have to fix the bike so it's running strongly again, but I'm hopeful that these additives will shed some light on the root cause of the problem. In that sense, they're totally worth the $20 I paid for both products, lol. Maybe they'll flush out that debris, obstruction, deposit or whatever... that'd be great, not having to tear the carb apart. The problem might be with the petcock, it's an overly-complicated piece o' junk which might harbor a deposit or obstruction. The plastic aftermarket tank shouldn't have any rust flakes in it, and I have a new fuel filter on the bike, so maybe that petcock is the culprit, lol. We shall see in days ahead... 🤔

If you had improvement after one treatment, I'd probably run it out and run another treatment and run it out and see how it goes. Not sure if you've changed the fuel filter, checked fuel lines, etc. But I suspect it's still gunk in the carb.
Good luck with it. Wish I was more familiar with the KLR. My old Suzuki RM250 had a Mikuni carb. It was super easy to work on.

I swapped the fuel filter when I swapped out the clutch cable, a couple of months ago... I'll go through the rest of the fuel line as I address the problem, but I'm not sold on the "gunked-up carb" scenario yet. Certainly not a gunked-up carb jet or needle, as I don't think the bike would act the way it did today if that were the case. I'm thinking the problem is more like a free-floating chunk of debris or crud running up on a screen or filter of some sort when I twist the throttle... and that petcock is suspect, it could be the problem. What I'll do is let that additive sit for another night and work on whatever the obstruction is, then try it again tomorrow and see how it runs. 😒

The carb on this bike is a Keihin CVK 40 x 1, which I presume means 40mm... it doesn't look that difficult to work on in the video tutorials I've already watched, but first I have to remove the pannier racks, seat, tank, etc, so in that sense it's a PITA, but I'll do all that if necessary, we'll see how the treatment goes. The fuel in the bike is not that old, so that's not an issue, and the aftermarket 6.6 gallon plastic tank shouldn't have any rust flakes, as was common in older bikes, but there might be some other crud that somehow made it into the system. A friend of mine said that sometimes crud can make it through fueling systems at service stations, despite the usual precautions... 😳

Just a thought. How soon after swapping the filter did the problem start? I've heard of crap in New filters before. Not common, but might be worth the trouble to not have to tear the bike apart to get to the carb

I checked it and it looks good, along with the rest of the visible part of the fuel line... I seriously suspect some piece of debris somehow clogging an aperture or screen in that funky petcock, that fits what I'm feeling as I twist the throttle. If the additive treatments don't work, I'm gonna drain the tank and pull that petcock to inspect it... hopefully the teardown goes no further than that, lol. But if it does, I'll deal with it, it ain't my first day out when it comes to bike work, I've been wrenching on what a friend calls "murder-cycles" for decades, lol. 😒

Went for a check ride today on the bike, and I have good news & bad news... the good news is that I had full power, no hesitation, which means it wasn't a carb jet after all, but some piece o' crap (like a flake o' crud) that broke loose and hung up somewhere. Bad news is that I was 5 miles south on US-54 when the rear tire developed a leak... made it back to the house before it got really bad, so that's a plus. Rotated the wheel and couldn't see any tire damage, no evidence of a puncture; I'm thinking this tire had an innertube and the tube was old or something. By the time I made it back home and got around to inspecting the tire more closely, the tube was shredded inside the tire, lol. I dodged a bullet by making it back home, even though the tire was really starting to get low toward the end, and the bike was slewing a bit... :oops:

But hey, fixing a flat will be a whole lot cheaper than rebuilding the carb! And that Sea Foam can keep working on whatever blockage there was earlier! So I'm happy in that regard, I was NOT looking forward to tearing apart the carb, lol. With luck, the bike will be sold before I ever reach that point... I still wanna buy something lighter than this beast. I've taken to calling the bike "Porky Pig" due to its weight, lol. Meh, it's still fun to ride, and now all I gotta do is get that flat fixed so I can ride in upcoming fall weather... haven't felt any inclination to ride during this hot summer. Anyway, I took the car jack and jacked up the rear end of the bike just enough to keep the weight off that big ol' Dunlop D606 knobby, I don't want the sidewall damaged in this ongoing summer heat. Right now it's just hangin' off the rim in the shed, which is fine. 😒

Last edited:
I've been considering getting a bike. I haven't been on one since I was a kid, and I would have to go take the rider's course because I never had the license. I'm thinking either a small cruiser (Shadow 750?) or maybe a larger ADV like a KLR650 or that Honda 500 ADV thing. Maybe even a Tenere 700. I imagine those are at the upper limit of what an inexperienced rider should tackle. @Wingnut Do you think I should go for something even smaller?

Yes, I would recommend a smaller and lighter bike, such as a 400cc or 450cc thumper... maybe even a 350cc or 250cc bike, as those will be much more manageable, though you sacrifice top end speed. It all depends upon what kind of riding you're gonna do... if you're gonna be on the road in traffic, I'd suggest something with a bit more power, just so you can get away from bad situations. If you're gonna ride trails, stick with a 250cc bike, or even a nice tricked-out 125cc bike, the ones with 'Power Band' have all the power you'll ever need for trail riding, lol. It's kinda hard to make an exact recommendation, since you say you haven't ridden much lately... moi, I like a bike that can handle just about everything thrown at it, riding-wise, which is why I like Enduros (or 'Dual Sport' bikes, as they're now called). Back in my 'rice rocket daze' I had a tricked-out Suzuki, but it was strictly for riding on pavement, except maybe short dirt roads & driveways leading to the houses of friends in the country. Dunno how heavy you are, but that's also a factor... I'm around 200 lbs. in weight, so I like having enough power to get myself and the bike rolling at speed pronto, lol. A good power-to-weight ratio is always desirable! This KLR 650 has power, but it weighs 400+ lbs. so that has a dampening effect. Oh, well, "Porky Pig" is still fun... :cool:

Yes, I would recommend a smaller and lighter bike, such as a 400cc or 450cc thumper... maybe even a 350cc or 250cc bike, as those will be much more manageable, though you sacrifice top end speed. It all depends upon what kind of riding you're gonna do... if you're gonna be on the road in traffic, I'd suggest something with a bit more power, just so you can get away from bad situations. If you're gonna ride trails, stick with a 250cc bike, or even a nice tricked-out 125cc bike, the ones with 'Power Band' have all the power you'll ever need for trail riding, lol. It's kinda hard to make an exact recommendation, since you say you haven't ridden much lately... moi, I like a bike that can handle just about everything thrown at it, riding-wise, which is why I like Enduros (or 'Dual Sport' bikes, as they're now called). Back in my 'rice rocket daze' I had a tricked-out Suzuki, but it was strictly for riding on pavement, except maybe short dirt roads & driveways leading to the houses of friends in the country. Dunno how heavy you are, but that's also a factor... I'm around 200 lbs. in weight, so I like having enough power to get myself and the bike rolling at speed pronto, lol. A good power-to-weight ratio is always desirable! This KLR 650 has power, but it weighs 400+ lbs. so that has a dampening effect. Oh, well, "Porky Pig" is still fun... :cool:
I weigh about 225. I'm not planning on trails, but my area is criss crossed with gravel roads which would be iffy on a cruiser. At my last acreage out on a gravel road I had some neighbors who were patched, and seeing them struggle with their Harleys on the dirt convinced me that I would never want a big cruiser on a gravel road. But I would like to be able to ride 60-70mph on highways, comfortably, as far as 70 miles which is the distance to my family's farm. That's my BOL. The ability to easily handle crossing farm fields kind of tips the scale toward an ADV for me. The fact that a bike like the KLR can easily be fitted with panniers and a top box is nice too. I'm just a little worried about handling a 500 pound bike at slow speed. I can probably pick a KLR650 up, and dropping it won't hurt it much. But I still wouldn't want to mess the bike up just because I'm a crappy rider...

Last edited:
Hey Spike, check out the Suzuki V=Strom. I think they come in 600 and 1000cc. Dual sport bikes, heavier like the KLR, not sure of exact weight. But for a street bike they do very well. 2 guys I work with have them, 1 lives an hour away. For off road a buddy's dad had one and took it on a major ride up in Alaska. They are rugged bikes and look pretty good to. They do make panniers for them as well

Hey Spike, check out the Suzuki V=Strom. I think they come in 600 and 1000cc. Dual sport bikes, heavier like the KLR, not sure of exact weight. But for a street bike they do very well. 2 guys I work with have them, 1 lives an hour away. For off road a buddy's dad had one and took it on a major ride up in Alaska. They are rugged bikes and look pretty good to. They do make panniers for them as well
That is another I have been reading about. It seems there are a lot of good choices in the mid size adventure bike category. KLR650, CB500x, V-Strom, Versys...there are a lot of choices.

I would look at the smaller bikes like the Versys 300, but at 6ft tall with 34 inch arms and a 34 inch inseam, I'm probably going to be pretty cramped on a smaller bike...

Had to eat and knock out some dishes, but I want to add this advice: go into the nearest 'Fun Bike Center' or some such place that sells multiple makes & models of bikes, and just ask to carefully sit on the bikes which strike your fancy. Ergonomics are important in riding, you want to be comfortable in the saddle... if a bike feels too high or too low for you, it probably is, yeah? Ideally, standing while straddling the bike, you should be able to put both feet on the ground... some models have high saddles, which I never liked. Models like my KLR 650 can be top-heavy too, especially with the aftermarket tank completely full. So there's that to consider... 🤔

Also, there are some nice 600s and 650s in the Enduro category which are nowhere near as heavy as my bike... some are 100 lbs. lighter, which makes a huge difference in performance. Some of those V-Strom and Versys dual-sport bikes that I've seen looked pretty cool, but I dunno about the weight... in a street bike, it's not that critical, but in the dirt (or even on a gravel county road) it makes a BIG difference. Just tossing in this advice, gratis... visiting a showroom and sitting on the bikes is a good start, you can weed out makes & models you don't like, aye? You don't have to tell the salesman that you're gonna buy the bike elsewhere, most likely from a private party, lol... 😉

Edit: Forgot to add that if I had the money, I'd probably buy a Husqvarna 450 like those seen in the Colby Raha videos (in "The Razor's Edge" thread), but I'd make it street legal if they didn't have the option. Close seconds would be the Suzuki RM 450 and the Yamaha YZ 450F, those are mean thumpers with plenty of power for a guy my size. I'm pretty sure those companies offer street-legal versions of those thumpers too, the nomenclature might be slightly different but the powerhouse is generally the same. Some of those bikes can be modified to accept racks, panniers, etc. I kinda wish I had bought a 450 instead of this KLR, but I've had fun on this bike too, it's just a bit heavier than I like overall. :cool:

Last edited:
Yeah, they're full-on dirt bikes, but I think each company also makes a similar street-legal version, though it may not be quite so wide open and powerful. I reckon a rider could always mod out the dirt bikes and add lights... I just used those bikes as examples of what I'd like to have if money were no object, lol. ;)

Edit: I just watched a video on the WR450F, Yamaha's street-legal version of the YZ450F, and the guy said he pulled the restrictive cr@p out of the airbox and exhaust ("free mods"), and the bike ran pretty well... still not as wide open as the YZ 450F, but not too bad. Street riding means making some mods or adjustments for safety's sake... :cool:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back