RIP Corporal Louis LeBeau

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curmudgeon

In Remembrance Jan 2024
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I had no idea Robert Clary was a Holocausr survivor. Truly a tribute to him that he could be a part of that show.

Prayers to all his friends and family.

@sonya123 he was the last of them.

Loved Hogan's Heros. I'll be humming that tune all day now.

Never knew that about him--being a holocaust survivor. One of the comments under the article has me thinking...."the sincerest form of entertainment is to laugh at the unspeakable."
i read an article once where several members of the cast were Jewish refugees from Hitler's Germany.

Was that the last Hogans Hero? That's my favorite old tv show, have them all on DVD
Yes, I looked in on them and never knew that Bob Crane (Colonel Hogan) had been murdered at age 49 ☹️.

I had no idea Robert Clary was a Holocausr survivor. Truly a tribute to him that he could be a part of that show.

Prayers to all his friends and family.
Quite a few of the cast escaped Nazi Germany.

From WiKi:

The actors who played the four major German roles—Werner Klemperer (Klink),[16] John Banner (Schultz), Leon Askin (General Burkhalter), and Howard Caine (Major Hochstetter)—were all Jewish. Furthermore, Klemperer, Banner, and Askin had all fled the Nazis during World War II (Caine, whose birth name was Cohen, was an American). Further, Robert Clary, a French Jew who played LeBeau, spent three years in a concentration camp (with an identity tattoo from the camp on his arm, "A-5714"); his parents and other family members were killed there. Likewise, Banner had been held in a (pre-war) concentration camp and his family was killed during the war. Askin was also in a pre-war French internment camp and his parents were killed at Treblinka. Other Jewish actors, including Harold Gould and Harold J. Stone, made multiple appearances playing German generals.

As a teenager, Klemperer, the son of conductor Otto Klemperer, fled Hitler's Germany with his family in 1933. During the show's production, he insisted that Hogan always win against his Nazi captors, or else he would not take the part of Klink. He defended his role by claiming, "I am an actor. If I can play Richard III, I can play a Nazi." Banner attempted to sum up the paradox of his role by saying, "Who can play Nazis better than us Jews?" Klemperer, Banner, Caine, Gould, and Askin had all spent the real Second World War serving in the U.S. Armed Forces—Banner[17] and Askin in the U.S. Army Air Corps, Caine in the U.S. Navy, Gould with the U.S. Army, and Klemperer in a U.S. Army Entertainment Unit. But the sitcom was not the first time Klemperer had played a Nazi: In 1961 he played captured Nazi Emil Hahn in Judgment at Nuremberg, and also in 1961 he starred as the title character in the serious drama Operation Eichmann, which also featured Banner in a supporting role. Ruta Lee, Theodore Marcuse, and Oscar Beregi, Jr. also appeared in the film, each of whom went on to make several guest appearances on Hogan’s Heroes.

i read an article once where several members of the cast were Jewish refugees from Hitler's Germany.
I knew that, looked it up one time. And Hogan got murdered in some questionable situation and the murder never solved.

I never saw that show until about 15 years ago when someone I worked with asked me if I ever seen it and gave me a DVD. I thought it was very funny even me being German and all....Schultz is my favorite " I know NOTHING" LOL

I knew that, looked it up one time. And Hogan got murdered in some questionable situation and the murder never solved.

I never saw that show until about 15 years ago when someone I worked with asked me if I ever seen it and gave me a DVD. I thought it was very funny even me being German and all....Schultz is my favorite " I know NOTHING" LOL
Schultz was the best

I had heard Mel Brooks say that his intent was to make the Nazis look foolish. So many of his movies have Nazis in a big collective fight scene. He thought by making them look foolish it was his way of getting back. Maybe these actors all felt the same.

It had only been 20 years from the end of WW2 to when Hogan's Heroes aired. There were a whole bunch of people alive at that time that didn't think it was so funny.

Latest posts

Back