Roaches in a sealed water jug?!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Magus

The Shaman of suburbia.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
How did the little b*tards get in there and how do I stop it from happening again? It's just a dollar, but its a trip to the store that'll wreck my back again so, anybody got ideas? the sink and toilet are like right there where I stored it!

No idea, but sprinkle Borax and diatomaceous earth all around your place. They are so gross! They were thick when I taught in the inner city. Those companies that are hired to spray for them are worthless.

I have sprayed enough raid in the past two weeks to empty two cans, I'm about to get a can of "bug nuke" an industrial-sized fogger used for stables and large areas! I'm sick of the little b*tards!

I have sprayed enough raid in the past two weeks to empty two cans, I'm about to get a can of "bug nuke" an industrial-sized fogger used for stables and large areas! I'm sick of the little b*tards!
DW did something similar when we were in Bama.
She would set up 6 'bombs' in the house; we would put the cats in the car; she would 'detonate' the bombs; and we would go visit somebody for an hour or 2:).
Yes, using 'chemical-warfare' against them is completely legal under the Geneva Convention :D:thumbs:.

Two 3-packs of these and not a single thing survived in the whole house :oops:.
71W0NZ88K-L.jpg

Don't play nice!
Take no prisoners!:waiting:

No idea, but sprinkle Borax and diatomaceous earth all around your place....

Yer not "wrong", Lady Weedy ;) (..Borax Can be used, but.. Its more 'refined / stronger cousin', Boric Acid, is the stuff that's considered best for redruM'ing Roaches.. 😈 Borax is Legendary, though, in the Laundry. :cool:

Back when we still lived in Zommiefornia - roaches were a Constant-Plague for us, even when we were Very-diligent about cleanliness on floors, etc - Even if We were 'spotless' - They'd still come-round from the Filthy neighbors, sooner or later.. :mad:

..So, one recipe that caught my intrigue / I decided to try, was 'Roach Cookies':

- [Quantity] of Boric Acid
- [1/4 as much of Q] of Flour, as a base / 'carrier'..
- Tablespoon or so of Sugar...
- Tablespoon or so of Butter..
- I suppose you Could also add some 'DE', there, but.. We never tried it in This recipe, anyway..

..Mix / kneed like you would a 'cookie-dough' (if Too buttery, add more BA.. if Too dry, moar butter, etc) Basically, you want to end up with Moist - but not 'dripping with oil' - balls, that you can press into 'cookie-shapes' (or, simply leave as balls, though we found the flatter, more 'surface-area' / edges, etc seemed to entice better..)

..And leave 'em Everywhere they 'haunt' - backs of cabinets (but, Away from any 'open-box foods' / Out of reach of Children - and Pets!!, etc) Behind / under the Fridge; Under the sink-cabinets, etc, etc..Basically, Anywhere you've seen them haunting / coming In, etc.. And that's It.

..The little Buggers seemed to Love the 'buttery treats'.. and DIE without Fail, soon-after. 👍 Here, in AZ, we seem to have None (occasionally, we'll see one / two of the 'Big suckers' (the 2 - 3"ers, with Wings.. o_O but Outside.. None, so-far, Inside (in a year and counting.. :cool:

Terminate All with Extreme Prejudice. 😈

Fwiw..
jd

I wish they made something like this for rodents!
They used to.
Hitler used it on the Jews.
I knew a guy who covered his trailer up in tarps and ran a hose from his tractor's exhaust into the place with so-so results if you don't mind the place smelling like a garage. When I was a kid, my dad would pack us all up for a two-week camping trip in the summer, an hour before we left he would hose the basement and floorboards with red panther, supposedly an insecticide, but when we got back, and aired out, we'd always sweep up a few mice and birds up in the attic, that stuff killed EVERYTHING IN THE HOUSE! If it was within the walls when that stuff evaporated, it died, all the way up into the attic!

I wonder if I can use the fogger in the living room and stuff towels around the cracks of the door to keep it in there to kill the roaches in there. Not sure how to do the kitchen though. It's large & there is no way to keep the pets out. Can't lock them in the front room because my brother broke one of the glass panels on the door. My bedroom door can't shut so I'd have to leave the house. Would have to block off the back door to keep any critters that escape out of the house. Wish there was a pet safe option, but we may have to do the bombing. Probably isn't safe for dishes and food stuff though...

The boric acid sort of cookies seem interesting. Might have to use that around areas where the cats can't go.

I'm getting this goofy idea:
I already know that roaches can't climb over oil. Maybe if I swish some oil around the top of a bottle and then drop some bait in the bottom it might get some?

I can't imagine roaches getting through a sealed bottle. An unsealed one, yes. If they chewed their way through (do they do that?), then it would be unsealed (after the fact). Go for a glass container with a screw-on metal lid. Someone has got to make something like that.

I don't recall ever seeing a roach since I moved to Colorado in 1980. They must not like it here (could be present in the inner city, but I don't live there). Either that, or they all became politicians and moved to Washington.

Roaches can chew through plastic sometimes. All it takes is a small enough gap for the tiny ones to get in. They infested my microwave and voided the warranty and now I need a new one. Need to figure out how to kill the ones that got into it without poisoning ourselves and the pets and then try to get it repaired.

I can't imagine roaches getting through a sealed bottle. An unsealed one, yes. If they chewed their way through (do they do that?), then it would be unsealed (after the fact). Go for a glass container with a screw-on metal lid. Someone has got to make something like that.

I don't recall ever seeing a roach since I moved to Colorado in 1980. They must not like it here (could be present in the inner city, but I don't live there). Either that, or they all became politicians and moved to Washington.
Somehow, they got up under the lid and the retainer. I swear PAM cooking spray is good for everything!

Try using cinnamon. Sprinkle it around the area. It is supposed to repel roaches.

LOL! I had them in my classroom when I taught for Denver Public Schools. They are here. When I lived in Kansas City, I had them in my apartment, but not in my classroom.

We have none here either, no mosqitos either
left all those nasty things behind in Florida, don't think they like mountains

We had very few on the TN/KY border. Dad sicked the red panther on the few they were once a year.

Glad you do not have them but they are in every state continental US.

There are three cockroach species that we commonly see in Colorado including the German, American and Oriental cockroach.

So, peppermint oil will kill roaches and they don't like it much, but it still hasn't helped much to get rid of them. Haven't gotten any borax yet to try the roach-killing mix. My brother actually wiped down the counter around his rice cooker because they absolutely infested his rice cooker & it wasn't working. He's agreed to help me clean stuff up and put more peppermint oil & DE in the cabinets. Don't want to use roach spray bc of the food stuffs in there. But will use roach spray on Mom's desk and in the living room.

I have Diatomaceous Earth in a salt shaker and I regularly spread it all over the house but those little bastards are still surviving. Need to hit them with something stronger in a place that won't harm the cats or dogs.

How to Kill Bugs With Borax​

Borax powder is boric acid and sodium borate salts that act as a pesticide. Borax powder's effectiveness comes from the amount of boron it contains. The level of boron in the pesticide also dictates how toxic it is.

Borax powder helps kill insects, spiders, and mites. It's even used as a fungicide and helps control mold, fungi, and weeds.

This type of pesticide has been around for quite a while. First registered in the U.S. in 1948, over 189 pesticide products have boric acid or one of its sodium salts in them today. Over time, many studies have examined the impact of boric acid on people, animals, and the environment.
https://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/how-to-kill-bugs-boraxMy mother & DW put borax behind stove & under sink to get bugs, without pets getting it.

Thanks, joel! I'll have to try the borax and DE behind the stove, in cabinets, in drawers, and under appliances (if I can get them moved enough to get stuff under).

I was watching some youtube thing where they were building houses and all of the lower sections of studs and sill plates were green. The guy who did the video told me it was some kind of pesticide involving borax/boric acid. It was tinted green so inspectors would see it. Apparently it will kill termites.

I would love to kill roaches, ants, mites, etc but I have a fondness for spiders. Well, not the black widows and brown recluses, but the other ones are fine.

When I finish cleaning under the kitchen table more I'm going to have to put some DE down there. I went nuts with the DE in the cabinets and areas I was cleaning earlier. I discovered that it doesn't hurt if it gets in your eyes a little. Had that stuff all over me. LOL.

Latest posts

Back