Road Safety

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wingnut

Rogue Dinosaur
Neighbor
I've wanted to create a 'Road Safety' thread for some time, as there seems to be a need for it nowadays... schools no longer teach Driver's Education, for starters, which IMHO was a bad decision which certainly has led to more crashes and fatalities among the younger set. Road courtesy has gone the way of the dinosaur, and in certain situations, a little road courtesy can actually increase your safety margin while driving. So many folks are driving with bad attitudes nowadays, due to life circumstances and increasing pressure to 'stay afloat' in these uncertain & fraudulent times, no wonder there are so many cases of 'road rage' out there daily on the nation's highways & byways. It's a rat race, especially in the Big City, and I ought to know, since I lived on the crowded Kalifornia coast for decades, and I also drove a big truck for a number of years.

This in no way makes me the world's best driver, there are still times when I catch myself doing something stupid on the road... nobody is perfect, and there are MANY distractions these days, a topic which I will address again later in this thread. Over 44 years of licensed driving, I've seen a whole heap of collisions & fatality wrecks, some occurring too darned close for comfort... and over the years, I've learned some techniques and driving skills which have not only made me a better overall driver, they have also increased my own personal safety on the road, and the safety of those who who occasionally ride with me. I'd like to share my knowledge in this forum, and make a few observations which may ultimately help drivers---particularly younger drivers with less experience---to stay out of trouble on the road and arrive safely at their respective destinations.

This is NOT a thread wherein I intend to smugly proclaim my superior knowledge & driving skills... far from it. This thread is being created solely with ROAD SAFETY in mind. I've seen too many bodies in twisted wreckage, too many corpses at the side of the road---and some poor folks being burned alive in a fiery rollover wreck on I-70 in Kansas---to quietly sit here and NOT share my knowledge & experience with others. Perhaps something I write in this thread will save a life someday... that would be great. In my mind, the gubmint and their lackeys in public schools have FAILED our youth by NO LONGER offering Driver's Education, a course which should be REQUIRED for all students (except those with severe disabilities or other reasons for not driving). I believe more collisions & fatality wrecks have occurred due to this omission, but then again, the current fraudulent PTB aren't really interested in keeping folks alive, ARE they?

Meh, no politics needed in this thread, the sad reality is that many drivers on today's roads are NOT fully qualified to safely operate a vehicle, and there are HUGE gaps in their knowledge which actually increase the odds of their getting into a wreck. Toss in all the foreign drivers, many who are indeed unskilled or even unlicensed, as well as uninsured, and the risks increase. It's a madhouse at times, especially on this country's more crowded roadways, and believe me, as a "professional truck driver" I saw most of those roadways at their worst at one point or another. One can only plan trips so far, there comes a time when one has to "wing it" and go with the flow... or lack of flow, as in a rush-hour "parking lot" on the freeway. Timing helps, and I'll get into that topic later, but for now I wish to start with some fundamental truths & observations which will lead us further into this essay on driving. This material includes a disclaimer:

As a licensed driver, you are expected to already know the 'Rules of the Road'---our laws pertaining to safe operation of vehicles on public streets & highways. I'm not here to teach you how to drive, you're supposed to already know how, aye? However, I can tell you things which will help you become a better and safer driver overall, and perhaps keep you out of trouble or even grief on the road. During my 'trucking daze' I saw a lot of dangerous situations develop on the road, and I learned ways to "defuse" or ameliorate those situations... much of it is common sense, but some of it can only be learned while driving a big truck, and THAT is what I also wish to share with you. No, I am NOT 'Super Trucker' or any such conceited fool, but I can tell you this: in all my years of driving a truck, I NEVER KILLED A WAGONLOAD OF KIDS, and that stands for SOMETHING in my book. I may have torn up a fence or "kissed the dock" too hard, but that's minor, lol.

Moi, I'm all about SAFELY DRIVING FROM 'A' TO 'B' AND ARRIVING AT MY DESTINATION IN ONE PIECE. If I wanna get wild & crazy behind the wheel, I do it in the dirt, or way the hell out in the boondocks where nobody else is around. That could actually be the start of this essay: saving the wild and reckless driving for the appropriate time and place, lol. And I'll be the first to admit that in my youth I pulled some crazy stunts behind the wheel in places where I should NOT have done so, and I also received a few tickets for speeding... so you're getting the HONEST ESSAY here, lol. Still, I gained some valuable knowledge in those days: when to punch it and when to hit the brakes, for starters, lol. But a GOOD DRIVER hardly ever needs to use his (or her) brakes, another topic which I'll touch on here. Let me post what I've written so far, then I can grab a beer and get started on this thread for real. This may take a while, lol... but it shall be done.

PRE-TRIP INSPECTION (or PTI)

A simple concept: check your vehicle before leaving your driveway, as it may save you heller grief down the road. It's easy enough to do as your vehicle warms up, just hit the lights & flashers and walk around the vehicle, checking to see that those lights & flashers all work properly, and checking the rubber to make sure you don't have any flat tires, low tires, bald tires, etc. I do this every time before I leave my property, because I like to know that ALL my lights & flashers are working, so I can communicate my intentions to other drivers on the road whenever I change lanes or make a turn. In dreary weather, lights also make you more visible in daytime, particularly in the mirrors of other drivers. As a trucker, I always ran through cities with my lights on, whether it was day or night. Fluids should be checked at least once a week, better yet every time you stop for fuel. But when leaving your home, check lights & flashers & tires every time, that is my advice to you, and it doesn't take that long either.

SMOOTH OPERATION

Here's a way to not only save money, but to become a safer & more efficient driver. I'm talking about smooth acceleration, no jackrabbit starts or "mashing on it" out the gate, aye? With the cost of fuel what it is nowadays in many locations across this country, it only makes sense to go easy on the pedal, and you won't find yourself getting into trouble either with other drivers who do not realize how fast you are going. However, this doesn't mean dawdle either, a good rule of thumb is to do the speed limit in fair weather with decent road conditions. When the time comes to decelerate, simply back out of it first without using your brake... let the motor (or your gears) slow the vehicle down, your brakes will last much longer that way. The only time you should ever really use your brakes is when you come to a final stop... learn to slow down using this method and you frequently won't have to stop, as the light will turn green ahead of you. I never understood idiot drivers who race toward red lights and slam on their brakes... the fools.

NO ERRONEOUS ASSUMPTION

What does this mean? It means that you should NEVER take it for granted that the OTHER DRIVER has the FIRST CLUE about the 'Rules of the Road'---for all you know, that fool is some cartel meth runner who can't speak a word of English (and therefore can't read road signs), doesn't have a driver's license and never took a lesson behind the wheel, and is all jacked up on the "product" he's hauling, 10-4? NEVER, and I mean NEVER assume the other driver has a CLUE... because if you do, that jackhole will drag you into a wreck with him. ALWAYS drive defensively on any kind of crowded roadway, save the more relaxed driving for out on the interstate highway, or in uncrowded areas where traffic is not an issue. If there's any doubt about another driver's intentions, either back off a bit or attempt to communicate with signals, hand signs, etc. I know, you're all thinking about flipping the bird to that moron, but don't do that, no need to escalate someone's road rage, aye? Just drive defensively in traffic, that way you'll never be disappointed, and if someone else proves to be a safe & courteous driver... [gasp!]... you might even be pleasantly surprised, lol.

[THERE'S A LIMIT TO THE NUMBER OF CHARACTERS PER POST, SO I'LL HAVE TO BREAK THIS UP A BIT.]

Last edited:
I forgot to tell my 16 yo step daughter, "don't use the cruise control on slick roads".

She set it at 40 mph on snow covered road and coincidentally ran off the road on the first corner. Didn't get hurt. But bruised her confidence a bit?

RIDING THE GAP

Here's a concept which I heartily endorse, as it really increases your safety on the road. I taught myself to do this while hauling Hazardous Materials aboard a big rig, including Class 3 Flammable Liquids & Class 4 Flammable Solids. What it means is to consciously position yourself in the gap between moving packs of vehicles, thereby increasing your "safety cushion" of space around your vehicle. Speed up or slow down as necessary to maintain this position for the longest possible time, as it is one of the safest places to be on the road. If you have any choice, you don't want other vehicles around you, as the risk of collision (for whatever reason) is higher. Granted, you cannot ride the gap forever, but you can MAXIMIZE YOUR TIME IN THIS SLOT and lower your odds of getting tangled up with other vehicles. I can't stress this enough, and I tried to teach each and every one of my nieces & nephews (who were coming of age and learning to drive) to use this technique at every opportunity, as it is such a good way to avoid trouble on the road. Try it yourself in a conscious manner, and you'll be surprised at how stress-free that zone can be...

DEALING WITH BAD WEATHER

This covers a lot of ground, but let's start with this simple remedy: if the weather gets really bad, take a break and get off the road entirely, yeah? This holds especially true for long trips, as a driver can always "make up for lost time" later when the bad weather has passed. And it WILL pass, though your break might be a little longer than you expected. I often wonder how many drivers have DIED because they pressed on in bad weather... heavy fog, rain or hail, whiteout blizzard, dust storm, you name it, ANY weather condition where visibility is impacted in a big-time way. Just take a break, grab some coffee or something to eat, maybe take a nap and let that bad weather pass you by... as it eventually will. It's possible to run out from under a storm, especially if you're traveling west and the storm system is moving east, but if you have the option to take a break, exercise it. Know your weather forecast before you leave, or check weather apps en route to stay abreast of changing conditions. Larger truck stops & travel plazas always have weather channels on their TVs, usually right there at the fuel desk.

RAIN

Let's face it, we all have to drive in the rain at some point in our lives, so a few simple steps need to be mentioned here. First, whether it's broad daylight or dusk, turn on your lights... most if not all states have laws requiring lights to be on if windshield wipers are in use. There's a reason for this, and the reason is safety. It's not necessarily about YOU being able to see down the road, it's about other drivers being able to see YOU, 10-4? Much easier when your lights are on... have you ever noticed how some jackholes who run without lights in the rain become nearly invisible? That's how wrecks happen, not being able to see the other driver. So hit your lights, slow down a bit in heavy rain, stay off the cruise control & watch your lane changes or maneuvering, as hydroplaning can occur with the slightest breaks in tire traction. Go easy with your maneuvers and signal your intentions well ahead of time, at least 5 seconds ahead of time would be my advice in heavy rain, but don't leave it too long or others will think you're unaware of the signal being on as you drive down the road. Cancel your signal promptly once your lane change or maneuver is completed.

SNOW & ICE

Again, this covers a lot of ground, so I'll try to focus upon the important details... and if you can avoid driving in snow & ice, that would be best, but not all of us have that choice. First, slow down a bit and get a feel for the road surface... use your motor to slow down, not your brakes, as brake use should be avoided altogether or limited in such conditions. Make your lane changes & turns more carefully! Instead of driving like a NASCAR hero, slow down and drive like a SOUL SURFER, no sudden turns or lane changes, just smooth graceful maneuvers with minimal steering movements. Do NOT brake while making turns or lane changes. Ironically, it is better for your vehicle to be HEAVY in icy conditions (except on steep grades)... for example, an unloaded pickup truck is much more likely to slide or slew around than a loaded pickup truck. Keep your steering movements slow and smooth, it's the sudden break from traction that you're trying to avoid. Be aware of steep crowned roads, as you can slide sideways toward the ditch even at low speed or while stopped. Use chains if necessary, but a good rule of thumb is to avoid driving altogether when chains are required. Or take a break and ride out the storm, you may be late but at least you'll still be alive.

[Here I wish to insert a link to a story I wrote about driving on snow & ice... it offers a glimpse into a truck driver's life.]

Ice Storm

[Note: Later, in my trucking thread, I will post pics of that very same storm, and perhaps one or two here as well. Right now, I have to go cover my young trees for the night, as the wind has already died, but I meant to say that FarmOR is absolutely correct, a driver should NEVER use cruise control on slick roads of any sort! It's a recipe for disaster, as the cruise control will push your vehicle even after your tires have lost all traction...] :oops:

Last edited:
I drive for everyone that is driving near me. If you just assume the other driver is not paying attention then you are probably correct.
I never drive in someone's blind spot.
When I rode my motorcycle I just figured half of the other drivers couldn't see me and the other half were actually trying to run me over. That kept me out of trouble several times.
"don't use the cruise control on slick roads".
I knew a guy that set his CC and ended up in a ditch upside down.
His van had 12 veterans with a verity of disabilities.
One was a 94 year old WW2 Army nurse. She was hanging upside down in her seatbelt but was not seriously hurt fortunately.
He actually still drives for the DAV.

SEVERE WEATHER

Okay, I got the trees covered, now I might as well start a new block, as that character limit will probably bout me if I continue with the last block. I'm not quite done with the weather yet, I want to touch base on severe weather like twisters & hurricanes. If there is a tornado warning in effect, you should weigh your decision carefully: you don't want to drive into a tornado, but getting out of the area might also be the best & safest bet. You'll have to get some reliable weather reports, or if you're already in the twister zone, you'll need to keep your eyes peeled. I was once running west on I-40 with another hand, just west of OKC, and I could actually SEE the towering "super cell" ahead of us, dark and threatening... I knew from the weather channel on my CB radio that the storm was moving in a southeasterly direction, so it would cross the interstate somewhere ahead of us. I told the other driver I was gonna jump off at the Yukon (OK) Walmart and resupply while allowing the storm to move across the highway. He opted to keep going, despite the fact that we had just been passed by "storm chasers" in specialized rigs who were driving TOWARD the ugly super cell. We each made our own call, and mine was correct since I wasn't in an all-fired hurry. The other driver had less time, so he ran the gauntlet, but he made it okay... I didn't see his wrecked truck when I drove that way an hour later. Still, a dicey call...

With storms like hurricanes that impact a broad area, a driver should already have advance notice, whether it's by car stereo, CB radio, warning signs on roads, cops blocking routes, a mass exodus traveling in the opposite direction, etc. It is NOT a good idea to continue traveling TOWARD a massive storm, as it will undoubtedly affect the entire area and possibly shut down travel altogether. After Katrina hit New Orleans, I remember meeting refugees (or evacuees) in a 'Sleep Inn' hotel in Tuscaloosa, some distance away. In fact, I was one of the few hotel occupants who was NOT a refugee or evacuee, I was only there because my company truck needed a little work at a nearby dealership, and the company put me up in a room while the work was done. The dealership had other commitments to honor first, you understand. Honestly, I felt GUILTY about drinking a beer by the pool, when all the others present had lost their homes, or had homes that were still underwater. But that was MY time off, right? So I took my swim and went back to my room to party, lol. BTW, since we're talking about hurricanes with high winds, that's another scenario where prudence is best: get off the road if you're in a high-profile vehicle which is affected by high winds, and simply wait for the winds to pass or die, yeah? It's just not worth the risk, especially in big rigs or motorhomes... use your head in such situations and make the wise decision, you can always make up for lost time later.

TRAVEL SAFETY

Speaking of all that bad weather made me think of this topic, so I'll touch base with it right here and now... when on long trips, safety on the road is NOT just limited to the road itself, you want to be able to safely refuel, use the bathroom, buy food or eat in restaurants, etc. When planning a trip, you can save heller money by also planning meals ahead of time, mainly by using a thermoelectric cooler that plugs into your vehicle's lighter jack... or using an ice chest if necessary. In my 'trucking daze' my rig was essentially an RV, loaded with water, food (dry goods & perishable items), extra clothing & blankets, everything I might need to weather any situation. I p!ssed in a gallon jug while thundering down the road, carefully choosing my moment on straightaways with no other traffic around... otherwise, I used rest areas as seen in my trucker's atlas, a handy tool to have in your vehicle. You can buy a "Motor Carriers' Road Atlas" at just about any large truck stop or travel plaza, and you can still consult it even when there's no cell phone service. My point here is that some places are safer than others when you're en route to your destination... and THAT leads me to this next paragraph about choosing your refueling locations, lol. Don't worry, you local drivers, I'll get around to y'all in due time, I just wanna say this...

I always told my nieces & nephews who were going on long trips to use larger truck stops or travel plazas for refueling and rest breaks. Most of those large truck stops & travel plazas have separate fuel islands for cars, pickups, small RVs, etc., and they also offer much greater safety and convenience. More security in the form of live guards, better lighting at night, more folks around, more choices in the store or restaurant, more bathroom stalls, the list goes on... and most truck drivers are down-to-earth folks who don't tolerate any nonsense or criminal activity, they'll be the first to step in and intervene if some d!ck starts bothering a young woman, aye? Probably clean the would-be perp's clock before the security guard ever arrives, lol... but my point here is this, these larger truck stops & travel plazas are inherently SAFER than any run-down service station off a darkened exit in the friggin' ghetto, AYE? Now, you BIG BAD HEROES who are not only capable of defending yourselves, but also STRAPPED, lol, this advice doesn't necessarily pertain to you, BUT no small service station is going to beat the fuel prices at the larger chain truck stops & travel plazas, they just can't do it. They might MATCH the cost, but that's about it, so if you're gonna pay the same amount anyway, why NOT go with the larger & better-equipped facilities? Not to mention the TVs with weather channels on at the fuel desk...

Last edited:
Okay, I gotta take a break here, but fear not, H&CL Hee-roes, I will finish this thread now that I've started it, lol. However, I gotta make dinner and relax for awhile, and tomorrow I am PROBABLY gonna return to the Three Rivers Petroglyph Site and check out that ancient village, aye? Gonna take the car, it'll be easier and it's already full of fuel, plus I can stay warm and crank the stereo at the same time, lol. :cool:

Now, I have a lot of ground to cover yet in this thread, but I also have the entire weekend ahead in which to do this, so no worries! "DON'T WORRY, BE HAPPY!!!" Lol. I intend to cover some more topics like sharing the road with big trucks, choosing your moment to pass other vehicles, maintaining awareness of your surroundings and other traffic, basic road courtesy, etc. I reckon I'm about a third of the way through my essay, so bear with me... 😬

And of course, feel free to chime in and add your observations, as FarmOR already did with complete accuracy... you others too, I'm just giving FarmOr some props because that observation was astute. Now, I'm gonna log out and make some sort of dinner out of myriad leftovers in my fridge, lol... I also wanna prep a bit for tomorrow's adventure, I am looking forward to seeing that ancient village! Gotta call first thing in the morning and make sure it's open for touring! 😒

I hope y'all have a good evening, I know I will here on the outskirts of Alamo, despite the cold weather, lol... well, cold for here, this would feel like friggin' Tahiti to site members in Canada & Alaska, and maybe the Upper Midwest & Northeast, AYE? I know they're getting hammered right now, and I ain't talkin' about ALCOHOL, lol... I'm DRINKIN' it here in Alamo, but this weather is pretty mild compared to what those hands are experiencing, so here's to those heroes & heroines! ;)

CHEERS!!! 🍺

People DO NOT pay attention!! A lot don't care!
This is the absolute truth! I was driving last week and saw a car merging and merging over beside me, until the next move was my lane. Of course, here it comes, right into my lane, where it could have been bad. Good thing I was paying attention. I honked and woke her up, but she was not happy with me. Did she want to run into me and I foiled that plan?

Probably clean the would-be perp's clock before the security guard ever arrives, lol... but my point here is this, these larger truck stops & travel plazas are inherently SAFER than any run-down service station off a darkened exit in the friggin' ghetto, AYE?
I don't like to drive in strange areas in the dark. I find it is best to get on the road early, when it is getting light out and you are close to home and familiar with the area, and then quit when it is getting dark, if you are on a road trip.

Yes, indeed, Weedygarden, and there's another side to that equation... I don't particularly like driving in the dark, though I'll do it if necessary. But a driver can't see road hazards as well, and eye fatigue sets in along with regular tiredness. Moi, I like to do my "night driving" right off the bat when I'm fresh from sleep, it's much safer than trying to see in the dark AFTER a long day of driving. Once I gained a handle on trucking and knew how to plan trips, I'd get my sleep, get up early and walk right into the truck stop showers (no line yet), maybe eat breakfast in the restaurant or my truck, then get rolling and possibly put 100 miles on the odometer before dawn. Now, I couldn't always do this, especially on days when I was loading or unloading, but on the long hauls I made from San Diego to Western PA (Altoona & Ellwood City) back in the '90s, I had leeway with regard to the clock... plus I was in a fast truck, or fast enough at 90 m.p.h., lol. You are absolutely correct about starting early if possible, it makes for a smoother day and ya don't hafta fight for a truck parking space after midnight when you're all tired & cranky, lol. Instead, you're pulling into the fuel island at dusk to refuel and grab an easy parking space, then relaxing for a bit before crashing and getting up early the next day. Anyway, thanks for your observations, same goes for the others who added their $.02, this is a public forum so all who want to chime in can freely do so... 😁

Last edited:
Yes, indeed, Weedygarden, and there's another side to that equation... I don't particularly like driving in the dark, though I'll do it if necessary. But a driver can't see road hazards as well, and eye fatigue sets in along with regular tiredness. Moi, I like to do my "night driving" right off the bat when I'm fresh from sleep, it's much safer than trying to see in the dark AFTER a long day of driving. Once I gained a handle on trucking and knew how to plan trips, I'd get my sleep, get up early and walk right into the truck stop showers (no line yet), maybe eat breakfast in the restaurant or my truck, then get rolling and possibly put 100 miles on the odometer before dawn. Now, I couldn't always do this, especially on days when I was loading or unloading, but on the long hauls I made from San Diego to Western PA (Altoona & Ellwood City) back in the '90s, I had leeway with regard to the clock... plus I was in a fast truck, or fast enough at 90 m.p.h., lol. You are absolutely correct about starting early if possible, it makes for a smoother day and ya don't hafta fight for a truck parking space after midnight when you're all tired & cranky, lol. Instead, you're pulling into the fuel island at dusk to refuel and grab an easy parking space, then relaxing for a bit before crashing and getting up early the next day. Anyway, thanks for your observations, same goes for the others who added their $.02, this is a public forum so all who want to chime in can freely do so... 😁
Someone once suggested that he liked to leave around 4 in the afternoon to go on roadtrips. I once rode with someone who drove most of the day and then when it was getting dark wanted me to drive. Not a chance! Each to their own, but imho, that would be awful. My eyes do get tired. Have I ever driven at night? Yes, but not because I thought it was what I wanted to do. I've had car trouble, and other challenges which gave me no option.

It may seem insignificant but I dont have any 'identifiers' on my car. No stick family, no personalized plates, no bumper stickers, nothing. No need to have strangers know more about me than I of them. Also. I always carry when using rest stop bathrooms and try to have my husband close by in case I cant handle a situation. Also, my son is accompanied to a restroom by my husband. If its a single restroom, hubby or I will make sure it's empty then wait at the door. Hubby told me a story of a boy who was raped and murdered in an airport bathroom while his mother or grandmother waited outside. There was also a local story of a woman who was brutally stabbed to death at a reat stop. She fought like hell, and a state cop heard the commotion in the bathroom, but it was too late to save the woman when he walked in. The murderer was an employee at the burger King located in the rest stop.

In inclement weather I leave plenty of room between my car and the person ahead of me. I have trust issues anyway, so I assume folks aren't paying attention and am always on the lookout for lane drifters and speeders. I also try to put myself in a position where I can see the road ahead beyond the car in front of me. This might not be the right thing to do, but I speed up and pass someone I suspect is driving impaired. I rather they crash behind me and not in front of me.

Friend of mine was driving down the highway when an RV towing a car decided to cross 3 lanes while braking to take an emergency vehicle turn around. Ran smack into the towed car at no fault of his own. The Trooper that showed up was talking to him and basically gave him this advice verbatum: "I always look ahead of me at everyone on the road and say to myself .. that person is getting ready to do something F&#$^%G stupid."

Good thread. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.
I used to drive a truck in my early 20's for just under a year. I can verify your suggestions are spot on. Gotta stay on your toes and an eye out for those not paying attention, and they are many.
We go up north most every year to visit the wife's family and we have left right after work and drive all night. Not only do I catch myself getting drowsy, but once we get there I am wiped out and worthless. Not worth it. I much prefer to go to bed early, then get up around 3 or 4 and hit the road. Morning traffic is almost always much lighter. I also pay close attention to fuel level. I rarely go below 1/2 tank, never below 1/4. Just asking for trouble that way. And if we are staying somewhere for the night I always fuel up before stopping and park pointing out for easy get away when we start back up.

Bad and annoying drivers are one of my pet peeves, good topic

I have never had a ticket or accident and driven across the country many times on trips. I drove in Florida for 30 years ( crazy drivers all around, tourists on the wrong side of road and old people that shouldn't be driving anymore , plus lots of illegals that have very questionable driving skills)

here are some things I do to not have an accident:

always look in front of you and occasionally behind you, don't look at other crap next to the road when you should be paying attention to driving ( husband driving" oh look , the neighbors have new cows" me: look at the road, or I will drive)
Just drive, don't text, eat, drink, or mess with the radio!! You know how many people do all of that doing 80 on the interstate? Lots

Always expect the other drivers to do something bad. If there is a stop sign, and you see someone approaching it, expect them to run it and have your foot near the brake and hand on the horn
semis are much bigger than you, so even if they drive like absolute hmmm, what word is acceptable here? , try to stay out of their way and expect them to drive like " bad inconsiderate drivers" ( but that;s not really what I want to say here lol)

I really hate these 2 types of things the most on interstates:
A: people driving too slow and mostly on cruise control in the left lane of a 2 lane interstate, next to a truck doing the same speed, so nobody can get passed them. Or 2 trucks trying to pass each other doing the same. You can beep your horn, and blink at them but they ignore you. Usually those are old people or just bad drivers. Then someone in the right lane will try to squeeze in between you and the bad driver in front of you to get around them, which makes them also bad drivers. This sort of thing has made me want to road rage several times.....I didn't do anything but wished for a RPG ....

B: semis: they slow down going up the hill, so you have to pass them or do 40 on the interstate and then you pass them and it goes downhill and they are right behind you by inches wanting to go 90 all of a sudden
I -81 here in Virginia has SO many accidents all the time because of the trucks, there is almost always a semi involved and this is why it happens

Wait 1 more
C: any RVs on the interstate, they should just not be allowed. They go too slow and it creates traffic problems for miles when everyone has to go around them
I seriously would like them in the category of vehicles not allowed on interstates ( like Amish buggies and UTVs)

one more thing: all interstates in the US NEED to be at least 3 lanes, they were not designed for the amount of traffic on them today

Last edited:
It may seem insignificant but I dont have any 'identifiers' on my car

I intentionally put lots of stickers on my vehicle of national parks, ski areas and other tourist destinations
these types of people don't get pulled over usually
I would for example never ever put a NRA sticker or anything remotely political or religious on it

Just returned home after an interesting day, had a good hike but my feet are beat tired... that Dog Canyon Trail is rated 'Strenuous' on a signboard at the trailhead, and boy, they sure got that right, the thing is brutal, lol. I've been reading some of today's posts, and there are many subjects which I intend to address when I get back on this thread tomorrow. Ain't gonna happen tonight, I don't think I'm even gonna post my hiking pics, which are awesome, lol... I'm just too tired, all I wanna do is sit here and drink a well-deserved beer, maybe reply to a few threads. Manana, I will post trail pics to get them out of the way, then work on this thread. I'm glad to see that some of you have valid concerns, and I will be addressing many of the topics you mentioned. Sadly, the trucking industry has gone downhill in recent years, and many of the drivers are foreigners who know nothing of road courtesy... that's not the style or custom in their respective countries of origin. Meh, I'll get to all that later, as I intend to give y'all an American trucker's perspective upon sharing the road with big rigs... perhaps that will help alleviate some of the stress out there on our nation's roadways. ;)

I intentionally put lots of stickers on my vehicle of national parks, ski areas and other tourist destinations
these types of people don't get pulled over usually
I would for example never ever put a NRA sticker or anything remotely political or religious on it
I'm an excellent driver (useta was, anyway :rolleyes:).
I have always wanted only one sticker to put on my back bumper that says:

If You Knew Who Was Driving,
You Wouldn't Be This Close.

Darned if I didn't take another nap... must be the time of year, lol. But it gives me a good point to take up where I left off last time!

DRIVING WHILE TIRED

Studies & statistics have shown that driving while tired is nearly as dangerous as driving while impaired. If you're really tired, you ARE impaired, so the best thing to do is find a safe spot off the road and take a nap. Not on the shoulder, which is a hazardous place, but in a rest area, a travel plaza, or some remote location in the boondocks, off an exit in the middle of nowhere. I know some site members mentioned certain rest areas where crimes have been committed, and there are a few rest areas like that, but the majority are safe enough, especially in daytime, and even a one-hour "power nap" will work wonders to restore you (at least to a safer condition in which to drive). The second-best option is to stop, walk around a bit, grab a large triple espresso and then hit the road again, but this is only a short-term solution... your body will crash even harder once the coffee starts to wear off, which may not take that long if you are heller tired. My advice is to find a spot to take a "power nap" and recharge some of your personal batteries... then get to a better location to sleep a little longer. There really is no substitute for sleep when one is heller beat tired, and just one hour of sleep will make you feel much better.

DRIVING WHILE DISTRACTED

Here's another topic which some of you mentioned, and it's an important one. IMHO, driving while distracted can be equally dangerous (if not more dangerous) than driving while impaired. At least the drunks are trying to see the road, lol... but all kidding aside, too many kids and adults are DYING due to distracted driving, mainly while texting or otherwise using a cell phone behind the wheel. I cannot stress this enough: PUT THE DAMNED PHONE DOWN AND KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD!!! Or pull over in a safe location and use the phone if you must, then get back on the road. Moi, I've conditioned myself to not even look at my phone while driving, it stays inside a closed compartment in the center console while I drive. No phone call is so important that you have to risk your life or the lives of others in order to answer it. Most modern phones have text receiving & voicemail options... learn to use those if you haven't already set 'em up, aye? I'll add this, though I don't approve: if you MUST use your phone while driving, do it on a long straightaway with NOBODY else around... you city drivers have no excuse for not pulling over to make or answer calls. Even so-called "hands-free" devices are a distraction in my book, though possibly a lesser distraction... but still a distraction.

Distracted driving also includes dealing with passengers, children & pets as you drive, if you happen to have passengers, children or pets. Teach them to relax and not make a whole lot of noise while under way, and teach yourself to FOCUS upon the road ahead of you while still maintaining awareness of what's going on around you. One site member mentioned dislike of riding with a driver who constantly looked over to address his or her passenger... this bugs me too, and I'm known for being up front about it. "IF YOU'RE NOT GONNA KEEP YOUR EYES ON THE ROAD, LET ME DRIVE... IT'S A SAFETY ISSUE!" No lie, I have actually said this, and on one occasion told the driver to pull over and let me out, which the @$$hole promptly did... I had to make my way home, but I certainly felt safer once out of the car, and I never dealt with that scumbag again, lol. But I'm a man of principle when it comes to driving, as well as other activities, and I firmly believe a driver should remain FOCUSED upon the task at hand, which is to SAFELY arrive at one's destination by staying out of trouble, not INVITING that same trouble through CARELESS and DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS ACTIVITY.

I wanna share a quick story about distracted driving, and this incident occurred AFTER I had received heller safety training for hauling Hazardous Materials & Hazardous Waste. I went to rescue a cat I found on Craigslist, and this meant driving from Coronado to Ramona, CA, back when that translated into a 45-minute drive each way. I brought a cat carrier with me to get the cat from the former owner's house to my Oldsmobile, but as soon as I was around the first corner in that rural area, I pulled over and let the cat out of the carrier. Her name was Dixie, a sweet tortie cat who needed a new place to live, aye? As I attempted to calm her a bit, I told her that she was going to a new home on the beach. Well, like most cats, she didn't like car travel and she began to meow incessantly, then she started moving around inside the vehicle and distracting the hell out of me. She wound up lying atop the headrest of my seat AND my head as well, stretched out like the Sphinx in Giza with her forelegs and paws wrapped around my forehead... meanwhile, I was drawing upon ALL my safety training to remain focused upon DRIVING. As I made my way south on I-15, I distinctly remember one SUV passing me on the left, then slowing back down so the occupants could see the guy wearing a CAT for a TURBAN as he drove, lol. There's probably a pic floating around somewhere on the web, but I did indeed make it safely home, and Dixie joined the rest of the family at the ol' beach cottage.

One last observation to make upon distracted driving... it can occur while a driver is BACKING too, particularly with a trailer in a dicey situation, or where external distractions exist. Whenever you back into a difficult spot, possibly in a crowded area, turn your car stereo or kids' DVD player off (and CB radio DOWN if you have one), crack your window(s) so you can hear, then slowly & carefully back into your chosen spot or slot, getting out to look if necessary. If you have passengers or kids in the vehicle with you, ask them to be quiet for a moment while you get the backing done. Most drivers spend over 99% of their time driving FORWARD, not BACKWARD, so this is a task which can be difficult for many drivers, especially with a trailer. You folks who use boat ramps, you must have seen some clown in the past who couldn't back a boat trailer down the ramp if his life depended upon it... in all fairness, boat ramps are even more difficult due to the backward downslope and the loss of visibility as the trailer drops down the grade. I've seen similar clowns with their truck stereo blasting as they tried again and again to back properly down the ramp. Just one example of distracted driving while backing, but a good one. Turn all the BS off and STAY FOCUSED upon the task at hand, life is EASIER that way, lol. I believe that does it for distracted driving, but you site members feel free to chime in here if you think I missed anything, or if you also have an example of distracted driving. Perhaps I should've mentioned all those drivers I've seen eating behind the wheel, putting on makeup, etc.

Last edited:
MAINTAINING DISTANCE & SPACE AROUND YOUR VEHICLE

Here's a very important topic which I could've mentioned earlier, lol... and that is to maintain your distance from the vehicle ahead of you, and also to keep as much space around your vehicle as possible. I know this is difficult for city drivers, but try your best to increase safety, aye? That distance out front is most important, as it gives you more reaction time if anything bad happens on the road. Learn to BACK OFF if necessary in order to maintain that distance, as it may mean the difference between dodging a wreck and participating in one, lol. When you're on the highway, that extra space around your vehicle offers a "safety cushion" in case anything goes wrong... I know I mentioned "riding the gap" earlier in this thread, and though I learned to do that while trucking, I also do it in my own personal vehicle, and even on my motorbike. ESPECIALLY on my motorbike, lol. I will speed up or slow down as necessary to maintain that space around me, and also keep my distance out front... it just gives me that much more time for evasive action, wreck avoidance, etc. The more distance you have out front, the safer you will be, and the same goes for that space around your vehicle... I just cannot stress this enough. Which leads me to my next topic and personal pet peeve...

TAILGATING

Ah, tailgaters, the idiots who cause SO MANY COLLISIONS due to their dangerous proximity. As I've told all of my nieces & nephews when they came of age and started driving, TAILGATING is not only RUDE, it's also STUPID and DOWNRIGHT DANGEROUS! Back when I first started driving a truck, I would actually "brake check" tailgaters, and I mean HARD, as I don't like ANYBODY riding my @$$. With all the distracted drivers nowadays, I do NOT recommend "brake checks"---better to slowly back out of it and gradually decrease speed until the impatient jackhole behind you gets all huffy and swerves around you. What kills me is how some of these MORONS will ride your bumper for a distance, even though there's a WIDE OPEN LANE next to both of you, lol. What IDIOTS. I've noticed that some of the punks in lifted disco trucks engage in this behavior, perhaps thinking that they can drive you forward or somehow increase your speed by riding your bumper and looming in your mirrors. News flash, MORONS: there's a better way to get on down the road, and that is to PASS when it's safe, or jump into that open lane next to you and hit the accelerator. Tailgaters are my pet peeve, and I've actually taken some down to 40 m.p.h. on the interstate (minimum legal speed), no other vehicles around and a wide open lane next to us... meh, EVEN DUCT TAPE CAN'T FIX STUPID! And NO, your cheesy lifted disco truck does NOT impress me, AYE? Pfffffffft.

Note: Some folks have asked me over the years what I mean when I say "lifted disco truck"---and the answer is simple. When ya see some modern pickup jacked sky-high with clean monster rubber, gleaming chrome triple-or-quad shocks, no scratches in the paint, etc., a truck that looks like it has NEVER seen a dirt road or OHV area, well, THAT is a "LIFTED DISCO TRUCK!" All show, no go as far as offroad experience is concerned. Now, when ya see an old school K5 Blazer, Bronco, Jeep, Silverado, F-250, Dodge Power Wagon, etc., jacked up with serious rubber and bad@$$ suspension but also COVERED in dirt, mud, some paint scratches & whatnot, well, THAT is NOT a lifted disco truck, lol. From what I've seen, the lifted disco trucks are driven by younger punks who don't have the offroad experience they like to think they have... they've never once had to extract themselves or their truck from a dicey situation in the field, like deep sand in the desert or some nasty rocks or ruts in the mountains. Their lifted disco trucks are "MALL CRAWLERS" that never see any offroad action, lol. Their punk drivers show no road courtesy, since they think they own the road. Meh, I'll take an old school K5 Blazer or Silverado over a new lifted disco truck any day of the week... but that's because I've had good times & heller adventures in both rigs in the field, and they have proven their worth to me. Enough said.

CONSCIOUSLY ELIMINATING BAD DRIVING HABITS

This topic covers a lot of ground, but I'll try to keep it simple and straightforward. Unless you're WAY OUT in the boondocks with NO other drivers, cyclists or pedestrians present, USE YOUR TURN SIGNALS so that folks know what the hell you're trying to do. If you're one of those drivers who randomly changes lanes or makes turns with no signals whatsoever, one day that bad habit is going to catch up to you. In the city, a driver should ALWAYS use turn signals to communicate his or her intentions, and that same driver should hit each signal in advance, NOT right as the driver is swinging into the turn. Hell, with so many distracted drivers & tweekin' crackerheads behind the wheel nowadays, I use turn signals in PARKING LOTS, lol. Makes life easier when those around you know what you intend to do, or which direction you intend to take. Here's another example of a bad driving habit, and this seems to be a "cultural" thing down by our southern border: idiots who come roaring up to your rear bumper at high speed, swerve to pass, then practically scrape your front bumper as they bring their rigs back over into your lane. Those morons will p!$$ you off coming & going, and there's not a whole lot you can do about it, but that doesn't mean it's any less dangerous, AYE? I see this fairly often down here on US-54 on the outskirts of Alamo, and the vehicles involved usually have Texas plates, meaning they're up out of El Paso. Most of the drivers look Hispanic, which is why I say it's a "cultural" thing... nobody else in his right mind would act so stupidly behind the wheel.

[Well, I see the clock is my nemesis again, it's time for me to halt here and make some dinner, maybe watch a movie... I'll be back tomorrow to hopefully finish this thread, I still have a lot to say about sharing the road with big trucks, and I also want to cover some other topics like pulling grades, choosing your moment to pass, and how to "flash in" other drivers properly. We'll get to all that tomorrow, it's already 1820 hours here...] :(

Last edited:
Yessir, that's why I'm creating this thread, and I want others to chime in and add whatever tips they might have to offer... my observations stem directly from 44 years of licensed driving, plus a few more years of unlicensed driving or riding in the dirt, lol. As I used to tell other truckers once I got a handle on that scene, "IT AIN'T MY FIRST DAY OUT!" I'll be back tomorrow to continue this thread, as I feel it's important to do this, and I also have some money-saving tips concerning fuel, roadside repairs, etc. Right now, I wanna take a break and drink a cold beer, make dinner, watch a movie, etc. Thanks for your appreciation, it shows me that you're "old school" and you know what time it is, lol... CHEERS!!! 🍺

Yes, Backlash, that's another term or phrase I use to describe them... ;)

And I've known some serious "rock crawlers" in my time, not to mention trials riders on tricked-out motorcycles! :cool:

Latest posts

Back