Road Safety

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah go chill for a while. I expect this thread to get added to by others as time goes by. Drivin while tired is something that I have dealt with several times on long road trips. Worst was a 10 hour trip after working all day. I was so tired about 8 hours in I had to pull over for a rest and caffine. Took about an hour off and hit it again. Within an hour I hit another wall. Found a parking lot and took a couple hour nap to finish off the last hour. I should have stopped about 6 hours in for a couple hours and slept then.
Backing is a whole nother story. I grew up farming and was backing equipment before I was 10. Still surprise the wife back trailers sometimes. Watching people back boats and camper can be utterly hilarious at times. Others I want to go drag them out and do it for them. I actually offered to help this one couple in a campground and they greatfully accepted. Hit it 1st shot, the guy asked me to teach him some fundementals. I was more than happy to. I've found doing a walk around first and planning your moves before you start moving and going thru the back in your head, then doing the move goes a long way.Sort of visualize what you are gonna do first.

Backing is a whole nother story. I grew up farming and was backing equipment before I was 10. Still surprise the wife back trailers sometimes. Watching people back boats and camper can be utterly hilarious at times. Others I want to go drag them out and do it for them. I actually offered to help this one couple in a campground and they greatfully accepted. Hit it 1st shot, the guy asked me to teach him some fundementals. I was more than happy to. I've found doing a walk around first and planning your moves before you start moving and going thru the back in your head, then doing the move goes a long way.Sort of visualize what you are gonna do first.
Sometimes I forget that everyone didn't have this in their youth. :(
I was backing 40' trailers full of haybales into a barn with a truck with the hitch dragging the ground and the mirrors looking at the dirt at 14.
If you put it too far from the sides, your brothers had to throw bales much further and they kicked yourbut.
If you got too close, the poles broke the strings on the bales, you had broken bales and everybody kicked yourbut.gaah
Can I back a trailer within 3" of a wall today? You bet!:thumbs:

Something to consider is that nearly 70% of traffic crashes happen close to home, within a 10 mile radius, it drops to about 50% when in a 5 mile radius..

Something to consider is that nearly 70% of traffic crashes happen close to home, within a 10 mile radius, it drops to about 50% when in a 5 mile radius..
Reminds me of a blond joke.
When the blond heard that 70% of accidents happen within 10 mile from home she moved.
My apologies to all the blonds. :D

Got some good deep sleep last night, so I'm ready to carry on with the thread today... however, I gotta run to town first, I'm out of birdseed and I wanna return some books to the library. I don't want the birds going hungry in this cold weather, there must be at least 100 doves that kinda depend on me now to throw out food, not to mention a bunch of other birds. It's a bit of an expense, as birdseed is stupid expensive right now, thanks to the Biden scumbucket, but I'm gonna go buy another bag anyway, I like having the birds around, and so do the cats! They love watching the birds through the windows, and they also love stalking & chasing them in the yard! :rolleyes:

I have the feeders & baths set far enough in the open to prevent the cats from killing birds, but Tiger still bags an occasional hapless bird elsewhere in the yard, like an ambush from the bushes or whatever. Meh, ya can't stop a cat from being a cat, it just doesn't work that way, but I've done all I can to minimize the danger, so if an occasional bird gets whacked, well, that's just the way it goes. I figure it'd happen anyway, feeders & baths or no feeders & baths... the kittens haven't killed any birds yet, they're still honing their stalking & hunting skills, lol. Crackhead isn't very successful, as his black coat stands out in the yard like a drunken sailor at a Southern Baptist Temperance Revival Meeting, lol. :oops:

Tiger, now, he's a stone cold killer and he has that brown tabby camouflage which blends in so well with brush here in the high desert. He's smart too when it comes to hunting, I still recall how he learned to use the privacy fence in Benson to ambush birds... it was a 4' chain-link fence with those metal slats woven through the links for privacy, and Tiger would position himself on one side of the fence, hunkered down low like just another rock, aye? Birds approaching from the far side had to be sharp-eyed, otherwise they wouldn't notice the cat lurking below... birds who landed on the fence rail above were quickly bagged by the leaping Tiger, his long foreleg & paw would sweep the target and snag the bird. :(

Oh, well, these things happen, and like I said, you can't keep a cat from being a cat... I refuse to lock my cats indoors, they gotta run free just like me and take their chances in this mean ol' world, same way I do. And if they get bagged themselves by some coyote or owl, well, that's also the way it goes... though I lock 'em down every night here at the ol' hacienda, which increases their safety, since the worst predators mainly come out at night. We also have some large hawks here, but none in the immediate area... I saw a pair of hawks and a smaller hawk or falcon circling above a field several blocks away, but the birds weren't really large enough to pose a threat, aye? At least I hope not... and the kittens are still receiving survival training. 😒

Dang, I'd better get going, I gotta make that store run today... Backlash, I'm thinking that blonde gal got into a wreck on her way out of the area, lol. ;)

I also need to make a bird feed run. You're right about the price. I buy seeds from Tractor Supply. They have the best prices.
Black oil sunflower seeds are $20.00 for a 25 pound bag but worse is the nyjer or thistle seeds.
They are $72 for a 50 pound bag. The Gold Finch and the House Finch love those so I buy them.
The semi feral cat that hangs around will occasionally ambush a bird. She hide by the fence and waits for a bird to land and she jumps up and gets it. Not often but occasionally.
I thought about trying to put a bell on her but like I said she's semi feral and she doesn't allow touching so it would be difficult.
I see a small hawk that feeds on birds from time to time. When one shows up all the birds disappear fast but it will still catch one at times.
We also have some squirrels but they never have gone after the bird feeders.
I put corn out for them but they ignore it most of the time.

Jeez, that took longer than I thought it would, but I made it home in one piece... weather has changed too, now it's raining so I probably won't go riding tomorrow, as the weather will still be cr@ppy manana. No worries, I can work on this thread a bit today and hopefully finish it tomorrow, or the next day... Thursday now looks like the best potential riding day, with clear skies and a high of 57* F, so I'll just go with that unless the weather drastically improves by Wednesday. Gotta get out of these town clothes and back into my sweats, then I'll see about adding some more material... I think I might try some of this hard apple cider I made, just to see how it's developing. I'm gonna be drinking some of this over the holiday, whether it's "ready" or not... it should still have alcohol after fermentation. I'll see how it tastes in a few moments, I've had two gallon jugs in the fridge since the cider quit bubbling... 😒

Oh, yeah, I gotta set up this stupid 4G phone too, dunno how long that'll take, I should probably plug it in right now as the initial charge may be gone after nearly three weeks, lol. I want to set up the phone BEFORE I start drinking the cider, in case the cider is hardcore and starts busting up brain cells like cheap motel furniture... :oops:

I’ve been a gap driver for decades. I look for them. I also like traveling long distances with big trucks. If I intended to tag along I’d say something on my cb radio. I’d return the favor by blocking a lane if a truck needed over etc. A car/pickup can make a truck driver’s trip much easier when working together.

Speaking of gaps… I always treat going by a vehicle on a 4 lane just like passing one on a 2 lane road. I go by them as quickly as I can. Driving beside someone is far more dangerous than not doing so. If traffic is heavy I sometimes have no choice but I avoid driving beside someone unnecessarily.

Example. I was moving to LA for work. In the biggest uhaul truck I could get and towing a full size pickup with a camper shell. One night I saw the weather at my motel in Amarillo. Giving high wind warnings across New Mexico, 50mph+. High winds are no fun with the rig I was driving.

I started early the next morning and pretty much had I-40 to myself. Good thing, the winds were nasty, blowing me out of my lane occasionally. Then I saw a Cadillac slowly catching up to me. I could tell he was using cruise control, took about 20min for him to catch me.

It was an older man alone. He must have not liked the winds either because he slowed when he got beside me. Duh!!! How stupid could this man be? Not a car is sight behind or in front of us. Yet 8ft from me was the safe place to be??? 🤯

I gave him a couple warnings when protected from the wind by hills, when I could crowd him safely. He didn’t get the message!!! I literally had to run this guy out of his lane before he decided to speed up and go on by. Idiot! You can’t fix this kind of stupid! This moron was willing to risk killing both of us just so he didn’t have to fight the winds.

Even worse… an hour later I stopped for gas. As it happened that same cadillac was at the pumps. When I got out this moron was glaring at me! HE was angry with me??? He should have thanked me for saving both our lives, idiot!

Yes, I'm going to address that issue of stupid drivers who wanna camp out next to ya on the interstate... but I'll have to do it tomorrow, I just went through a 3-hour ordeal of getting this 4G flip-phone properly activated. Had all the usual roadblocks set up by the company that wants to sell me some fancy phone with a more expensive plan... and of course, I had the Asian rep whom I could not understand for $h!t, combined with spotty or downright BAD cell service here in my 'hood during a rainstorm, lol. To top it all off, the gal running the "test calls" on the newly-activated 4G flip-phone didn't have her headset dialed in correctly, so she couldn't hear me when I answered those test calls, but the NEXT Asian gal to whom I was transferred COULD hear me, go figure. Meh, it was just another monumental Big Tech clusterf#%, but now it's over & done, and I have a working 4G flip-phone!!! "HOORAY!!!" :thumbs:

After that ridiculous Big Tech fiasco, I'm not in any mood to write in this thread, but I DID think of some more topics which I will address manana, lol. I should add that I started in on the hard cider, and it's giving me a wicked buzz, though I had to add some sugar to each tall glass because it was too dry or flat or whatever the f#% they call it to drink straight from the jug. I thought I added extra sugar to this 'English Cider' jug before I put it in the fridge, but maybe I didn't, I know I added extra sugar to the two jugs still in the closet in the 'War Room'---those didn't bubble very long in the 'second fermentation' so I don't really know what's going on with them, but they should at least have the same alcohol content as these other jugs. I remember tasting the cider in the 'War Room' jugs before adding more yeast & sugar, and it didn't taste bad! This 'English Cider' with the liquid yeast is delicious, just a little dry or flat in taste, that's all... :rolleyes:

P.S. Peanut, I'm not only gonna touch base again on 'high profile' vehicles in this thread, I'm also gonna discuss the CG or 'Center of Gravity' in vehicles, which has such a great effect upon how vehicles perform in sharp curves, on downsloping curved off-ramps, etc. I wanna touch upon acceleration & deceleration lanes, how to merge safely in heavy traffic, timing of signal lights in the yellow phase, and a bunch of other subjects, aye? So this thread may take longer than expected to finish, but that's okay, I have several days of cr@ppy weather ahead in which to write, and I no longer need to go to town, set up my 4G flip-phone, etc., etc. :(

Last edited:
I drove my truck today today for the first time in awhile.
All 4 tires had low air pressure due to the cold temps.
A couple were in the low 20 PSI range.
Fortunately my truck will give me a warning when a tire is low.
My air compressor is close to the door and I have a 50 foot hose reel so it's not really a problem.
I also remembered I had not plugged in the block heater so I did that too.
As bonus I added more winter windshield fluid.
Just a friendly reminder to check your vehicle over before you set off in the winter. You do not want to blow out a tire anytime but especially not in the cold snowy weather.

Okay, I FINALLY made it back to this thread, I've had some holiday distractions like phone calls & texts & whatnot, but I now have time to pick up this thread and get on with it. Let's start with a few sundry topics which I wanna get out of the way before I talk about sharing the road with big trucks and oversized vehicles. Hmm, where to start... how about mirrors? 🤔

USE OF MIRRORS

This is a no-brainer, but for those youngsters just starting to drive, your mirrors are very important, as they let you know who or what is coming up behind you. Even when you are in a good slot and things seem to be going well, you should regularly scan your mirrors to see if anything has changed. Also remember that mirrors can create "blind spots" for drivers ahead of you, and you do NOT want to remain in another vehicle's blind spot for any length of time. If you decide to "camp out" in someone's blind spot, that driver may forget you are there and suddenly start entering your lane. This holds true for city & highway driving. Use your mirrors to "keep tabs" on who or what is around you, and make a habit of scanning your mirrors on a regular basis. Always throw in a quick look over your shoulder when you make lane changes, unless you are unable to do so (a camper shell on your pickup which blocks your view, for example). :confused:

DEALING WITH GLARE

Glare can be very dangerous, blinding a driver in city traffic or on the highway... I used to run I-70 from Denver, CO, to the UT line (and vice versa) twice a week for one trucking outfit, hauling IBP meat loads from IA & NE to the West Coast and backhauling produce from CA & AZ to the Midwest. This meant running Eisenhower Tunnel & Vail Pass in CO, and the glare in open areas could be brutal, just BLINDING... I'm not talking about the snow on either side of the road, though that could be bright, I'm talking about the glare off the wet surface of a plowed road, especially on a grade. I helped mitigate that problem by buying the best sunglasses I could find, and I also found that the "blue flash" lenses helped reduce the glare, but that was only for MY eyes, yours may be different. However, the underlying principle is the same: get yourself some good quality eye protection for those moments when the glare is intense, and have that "eye pro" in your vehicle when you need it, as it may save the day. Good glasses & judicious use of your visors (both of 'em) can really knock that glare down to an acceptable level. I used to pay around $400 for prescription Vuarnet sunglasses back before I had Lasik surgery to both eyes, now I'm using some top-shelf Bolle sunglasses that really alleviate glare. Find what eye pro works best for you and use those glasses when ya need 'em, aye? 😎

ACCELERATION & DECELERATION LANES

I need to touch upon this topic here, as some drivers could use the tip: not all acceleration lanes are created equal, some are on grades, some are longer than others, etc. But when you're in an acceleration lane, particularly in clear dry weather, you need to mash on your accelerator and get up to speed pronto, as your upcoming merge will be safer if your vehicle is traveling at roughly the same rate of speed as vehicles on the road. Well, when I say mash on it, I don't mean burn rubber from a dead stop and keep it floored, I simply mean accelerate at a good rate of speed to match the speed of those vehicles out on the road, aye? The reverse is true for deceleration lanes & off-ramps: back off the pedal as you are approaching the off-ramp or deceleration lane, and let your vehicle's motor slow you down before you come to a stop or settle to a reduced speed. Many cloverleaf ramps have a rather steep downgrade, not to mention a sharp curve, so the last thing you want to do is keep your cruise control on or your speed up as you enter those turns... let your motor slow your rig down a bit as you approach, and let it keep slowing you down without hitting the brakes, your brakes will last much longer that way and you won't lose control in the curve as easily. Whether one is driving a vehicle with an automatic OR manual transmission, a good driver lets his or her motor do most of the work in decelerating, rarely touching the brakes except when coming to a full stop. Work the shift lever as necessary, or let the auto tranny slow your rig down, your brakes will thank you and they'll last much longer, believe me. Look at the best racers who flow through "traffic" with ease, they hardly ever touch their brakes, and that holds especially true for motorcyclists... 😒

CENTER OF GRAVITY

Your vehicle's center of gravity (or CG) is very important, as it has a great effect upon cornering, particularly on downgrades. There's a reason why race cars and sports cars are low-slung, that keeps the center of gravity low and the vehicles can make sharper & faster turns... imagine a race between a Lamborghini or a Corvette and a double-decker bus, there'd be no contest, aye? No way could that double-decker bus make turns at anything CLOSE to the speed of the Lambo or Corvette, not without initiating a rollover wreck. High-profile vehicles *generally* have a higher center of gravity, though there are a few specially-designed exceptions... but you may take it for granted that the average bus or big rig has a higher CG than your family station wagon, and that means those high-profile vehicles can't corner as well. The custom Class 8 race truck built for Pikes Peak is another story, lol. 😉

However, many rollover wrecks in big trucks occur on curved downsloping exit ramps, where the driver has failed to slow down enough BEFORE entering the turn, and once in the turn, no amount of braking was gonna help... in fact, it probably made things worse, "tripping" the rig in the curve. Factor in high winds and these big rig rollover wrecks occur even more frequently. It's a good idea to learn roughly where the CG of your vehicle is, even by "feel" as you corner in sharp turns, or sharp downsloping turns, as this knowledge will help you make better decisions in the future. If you're driving a VW Bus and it's leaning outward at an uncomfortable angle as you drop down a cloverleaf ramp, well, you're going too fast. A general rule of thumb: the lower-slung your vehicle is, the better it will corner in turns and on curved downgrades, where SO MANY wrecks occur. 😬

One interesting observation to make here regarding big trucks. I've pulled reefers and dry vans in my time, and I was rather surprised to learn that, given two identical rigs with 53' wagons (one reefer & one dry box), the reefer truck with a load of "bin lettuce" stacked high in the wagon is MORE LIKELY to roll over in a curve or on a downsloping exit ramp than a truck hauling much heavier Class 9 lead solder waste in a dry van, the lead solder waste in metal buckets stacked low on skids (or pallets) in a single row down the center of the wagon. WHY? Because even though the lettuce is much lighter, it's stacked high in the wagon, and THAT raises the center of gravity above the CG of the truck with the dry van. In other words, the truck hauling the lead solder waste may "weather" the turn while the truck hauling lettuce goes for what we drivers used to call a "long layover." 😳

Last edited:
Here's an interesting topic which has really helped me to make wise decisions over the years... 😒

TIMING OF THE YELLOW PHASE IN STOPLIGHTS

We've all had it happen: we're rolling along while doing the speed limit when the stoplight ahead of us suddenly turns yellow, and we're left with a split-second decision. "Do I mash on it and squeak through, or do I brake hard and stop?" Well, knowing the following information will help you in the future... there is a standard formula for setting the timing of the yellow phase in stoplights, and *MOST* stoplights you encounter will be set according to that formula. Not ALL lights, as some go out of whack or the technicians set them incorrectly, but here is the standard formula: for every 10 m.p.h. in the speed zone, there should be one full second in the yellow phase. So, if you're in a 35 m.p.h. zone, you should have 3.5 seconds in the yellow phase. If you're in a 50 m.p.h. zone, you should have 5 full seconds in the yellow phase. Knowing this formula really helps, particularly you local drivers who see the same lights every day as you commute to work or the store. Granted, there are some lights which are incorrectly set... we've all heard the country song about a crooked small-town cop and magistrate deliberately setting a short yellow phase to rake in revenue, but the truth is that any short yellow phase is more likely due to human error, or else a glitch in the equipment. Otherwise, the safety risks and increased number of wrecks wouldn't be worth the added revenue, and sooner or later, that stoplight would become a factor in a court case. 😳

Now, my advice to you younger drivers is to test this knowledge carefully in the field... don't mash your accelerator the nanosecond the light turns yellow, just use the knowledge to help you make a decision. If you're close to the light and you're in a 45 m.p.h. zone, sure, cruise on through... but if you're farther away in a 25 m.p.h. zone, fuhgeddaboutit! No need to take stupid risks, or have some cop cite you for speeding up past the limit just to 'make a light.' I've found this knowledge to be VERY USEFUL in making split-second decisions regarding stoplights, and it has probably saved me from getting a ticket a time or two over the years. You know, when you come to a stop and the light is already red, and you look over to see a speed cop watching the intersection, lol. Better safe than sorry, but use this knowledge to your advantage... I find it very helpful in higher speed zones, where I know I have a few seconds before the light turns red. There's a time to mash on it and a time to back out of it and brake... with enough experience, you'll be able to choose the right course of action. You can also time the lights yourself, if you're only going through so many on your way to work or wherever... a stopwatch is best, but you can also get a "ballpark estimate" by carefully consulting your watch if you have no stopwatch feature. Just hold your watch up so it's in line with the light, and check the length of the yellow phase before it turns red. 🤔

BASIC TOOL KIT FOR DRIVERS

All drivers should carry some basic tools & equipment on the road, whether they are city drivers or rednecks in the boondocks. I always joke about fixing ANY problem with duct tape, zip-ties & baling wire, and those things DO come in handy, but every driver should also carry some tools in a kit in the trunk, or wherever you can find space to store it. Doesn't matter if you're not particularly handy with tools, somebody ELSE may be able to help you make roadside repairs using those tools. Moi, I carry a full toolbox and another large plastic tray of tools and stuff in my trunk, along with my jumper cables, Army E-tool (or entrenching tool for digging myself out if I get stuck in sand or whatever), air pump for putting SOME air into a tire (not a compressor, just a foot pump), a can of that flat fixing cr@p, spare oil, water for the radiator in case I need it, multiple lengths of rope & utility cord, an ice scraper for my windshield (haven't needed it yet here in Alamo), some large heavy-duty plastic trash bags, clean rags, paper towels, a thick blanket AND a sleeping bag, lighters AND matches, a large candle, flashlight or headlamp, a simple homemade first aid kit (BandAids in a Zip-Loc bag), a whistle, several road flares, and a few other items which I'm probably forgetting right now, lol. Some of that stuff I listed is also stored in the cabin or console of 'The Mighty Camry'---but I have it handy in case I need it, and I've often helped others when they needed it as well (most often with jumper cables). 😉

As for the actual tools, you want a hammer (ball peen will work, or your basic household hammer), assorted wrenches & screwdrivers, assorted pliers including 'channel locks' and needle-nose pliers, some wire cutters, a good stout utility knife (my Gerber Gator Serrator never leaves the car unless I'm hiking or riding), some razor blades or a razor knife, a hand clamp or two (the small powerful kind), and a few other things which I'm likewise forgetting. That wrench assortment should include a basic socket set, basic combo wrench set (open and closed end), Allen wrenches, 'Star' wrenches, and a couple of adjustable 'Crescent' wrenches in different sizes. Screwdrivers should include slot drivers and Phillips drivers in various lengths & sizes. Vise-Grips come in handy in the pliers department, I have several kinds including a large funky pair of Vise-Grips with an unusual shape (see pic below). That funky pair of Vise-Grips has actually come in handy on more than one occasion, lol, even though I was trucking at the time. Anyway, you can modify your toolkit and list of other equipment to suit your needs... for example, some vehicles won't have any need for 'Star' wrenches. Best to look under your hood and get an idea of what tools you might need in a roadside emergency. Make the effort to put together a toolkit and carry some other useful items, as they will pay for themselves in just one emergency. Don't forget the duct tape, zip-ties & baling wire! Throw an old metal coat hanger in the trunk as well! 😎

Edit: Almost forgot the funky Vise-Grips pic! While I was grabbing these tools, I realized that I had forgotten my handheld pop rivet gun, that also comes in handy, though I've never actually had to use it on the road, lol. Here are my funky Vise-Grips, that's a standard pair of Vise-Grips for comparison:

IMG_5032.JPG

Looks like I'm gonna hafta resume this thread manana... but I'll be back, I have nothing better to do tomorrow, lol. 🙄

Y'all add whatever I forgot in the toolkit department, lol... I know Backlash has already mentioned some winter kit items! I'm sure I'm forgetting some stuff, I've had holiday distractions today, but in a good way! CHEERS!!! 🍺

Last edited:
Time to get started on this topic, I've been sidetracked in a good way due to the holiday season... ;)

SHARING THE ROAD WITH BIG TRUCKS & OVERSIZED VEHICLES

Before I start breaking this topic down into various salient points, I'd like to make a few observations as a former OTR (or Over-The-Road) truck driver. Over the years, while I was driving a big truck back & forth across this country, I saw a lot of things happen on the road... some of them good, some of them bad. I learned more than I ever thought I would... in truth, one NEVER stops learning in the trucking industry, there is just too much to know. Whether it's something about the equipment, something about the driver, or something about the area through which one is passing... the learning process never stops. If a truck driver ever reaches the point where he thinks he knows it all, it's time to shut down the rig, throw the keys on the dash and walk away from everything... before a wagonload of kids get killed. Trucking is serious business, the very lifeblood of this country's economy, but it also has serious consequences for those who take it too lightly. Enough people die on our roadways as it is, no need to add to their number...

These 40-ton rigs can cause a whole heap of damage once they get out of control, and even when a driver is attentive, it doesn't take much for things to go south in a big ol' hurry. And that 40 tons is just for a standard rig loaded up near gross (or 80,000 lbs total, equipment & cargo combined), there are even heavier rigs out there used by "heavy haul" outfits that drag HUGE loads around the country: construction equipment, oversized building materials, factory assemblies, etc. All truck drivers face certain challenges on the road, but the drivers of heavy haul rigs face even more challenges, and at times, they are required by law to accept help in the form of "pilot vehicles" and State Troopers as escorts. There's a valid reason for all of this: nobody in his right mind wants a highway shut down because one of these rigs gets tangled up with other vehicles, or is forced into trouble by some impatient jackhole trying to pass at the worst possible time, hence the State Troopers as escorts on some loads.

Now, as a former trucker who used to haul Hazardous Materials, including Class 3 Flammable Liquids & Class 4 Flammable Solids, I never liked having other vehicles around my truck for any great length of time. And that was in fine weather and broad daylight, let alone cr@ppy weather and/or darkness... it's just not a SAFE place for other vehicles to BE, near big trucks on the road. Granted, these trucks nowadays are state-of-the-art, with electronic gear, heavy-duty construction & suspension systems, burly tires, etc., but they also take a HARD pounding on our nation's roads, and equipment fails, tires blow, etc. Factor in a driver who may be tired or inattentive, or both, and it's NOT a good scenario. So take my advice, and keep your distance from these rigs whenever possible... I know one cannot avoid them altogether on our nation's roads, but one can MINIMIZE the inherent danger of being near big trucks and other oversized vehicles (like buses & large RVs).

A quick word upon those who would try to make like NASCAR drivers and "draft" big trucks & other oversized vehicles... let me tell you why this is the WORST possible idea one can have when following trucks, buses, RVs, etc. A few years ago, I walked into the D.O.T. scale house (or "chicken coop") in Yuma, AZ, and while I was waiting in a short line of truck drivers, I looked over to see photos posted on a billboard. The photos showed the damage incurred when a D.O.T. bear ran up on a truck while both were nearing the off-ramp for the coop... both vehicles were still traveling at least 65 m.p.h. when a leaf spring broke on the truck (due to metal fatigue), and that same 18" chunk of metal came bounding back and went RIGHT through the D.O.T. bear's windshield, SPEARING the shotgun seat clear through until the spring jutted front & back. Had anybody been riding shotgun at that moment, the broken leaf spring would've IMPALED him like a vampire getting a stake through the heart.

No lie, you can check with the Yuma chicken house, the "spearing" was crazy! And get this: when I stepped up to the counter to present my paperwork (manifests, permit book, logbook, etc), the cop sitting there was the VERY SAME GUY who narrowly dodged a leaf spring "stake" through the chest! I asked him, "MAN, DO YOU KNOW HOW LUCKY YOU ARE?!?" And he said, "YEAH, TELL ME ABOUT IT!!!" Those photos alone would convince me to NEVER "draft" a big truck, but then we have the whole exploding tire scene... we're talkin' big ol' truck tires with 100 psi of pressure, and when they blow, LOOK THE F#% OUT!!! I ain't joking here, I've actually SEEN tires blow on nearby rigs and those flying fragments can cause SERIOUS DAMAGE (or even DEATH to motorists & motorcyclists). Chipped paint, big ol' dings in car bodies, broken windshields and other vehicular glass, you name it... I've seen all of that, and IT AIN'T PRETTY.

"BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!!" You haven't seen REAL damage or death until you've seen an ENTIRE WHEEL come loose and WREAK HAVOC at speed in traffic. Some of you older and more experienced hands here at this site may have witnessed such dramatic action, with a wheel bounding HIGH in the air and coming down at speed to HAMMER some poor motorist. Again, no lie: in San Diego, a northbound NAFTA truck on I-5 lost a wheel and the thing bounded HIGH into the air, crossing the median barrier and CRASHING through some poor southbound woman's windshield, killing her with the impact. I distinctly recall this incident, as it had to do with trucking and I was consumed with desire at the time to learn everything I could, particularly since I was a relative newcomer to the trucking scene. That poor gal may have never known what hit her... but if you EVER see a loose wheel or tire fragments heading YOUR way, duck toward the structural metal strut to either side of your windshield, it may help block the 'Blow of Death', AYE?

[Break here to cover the fruit trees and empty the birdbaths for the night, it has to be done with a forecast low of 23* F]

Last edited:
Okay, these holiday distractions are decreasing in number, so I can get on with my thread. Last time I was here, I mentioned that truck drivers in general do NOT like or want other vehicles around their rigs, as it increases the danger for all present. The best course of action is for 2-wheelers (motorcycles) and 4-wheelers (cars, pickups, SUVs, anything with 4 wheels, not necessarily 4WD) to SMOOTHLY ACCELERATE past big trucks and get on down the road. That doesn't mean RACE, nor does it mean CRAWL, just smoothly accelerate so your vehicle passes the truck in question and you're not camped out alongside that truck for any length of time. Remember what I said about equipment failure & exploding truck tires, you don't wanna be around when any of that happens, and the longer your vehicle is camped out alongside a truck, the greater the odds of bad things happening, aye? Reduce that risk by smoothly passing the truck, or by falling back far enough to avoid any debris which might suddenly come your way. With that in mind, let's address our next topic... 🙂

CHOOSING YOUR MOMENT TO PASS

This information relates to all trucks and oversized vehicles, but ESPECIALLY to oversized rigs hauling heavy loads. There's a good time and a bad time to pass, and you don't want your vehicle in a hazardous place by choosing the bad moment, 10-4? This information applies in clear dry weather, and it particularly applies in bad weather where visibility is limited for all drivers. It also applies to driving on open multi-lane interstate highways or skinny little two-lane blacktop roads. The best time to smoothly accelerate past a truck is on some sort of straightaway, where you can see farther ahead and you have time to complete your pass. Do NOT pass on curves where visibility is reduced, and do NOT pass on bridges which are generally narrower than the regular road with its shoulders. You do NOT want to be alongside a truck in tight curves, as the truck driver needs all the room he (or she) can get, and "off-tracking" can bring the wagon or trailer into your lane and dangerously close to your vehicle. It's generally NOT a good idea to pass in tunnels either, but most tunnels are relatively short so it's no great imposition to hold your place and wait until you have a better opportunity to pass. Remember, if it's raining, your wipers AND headlights should be on, and if it's overcast and gray, lights will make you more visible to the trucker, which brings me to my next topic... 😏

KEEPING YOUR HEADLIGHTS OUT OF A TRUCK'S MIRRORS

Like "riding the gap" mentioned earlier, you cannot do this all of the time, but you can MINIMIZE time spent with your lights in a truck's mirrors. Those big ol' West Coast mirrors aboard trucks reflect a lot of light, and if you're sitting back on a truck's quarter with your headlights squarely in that truck's mirrors, I can safely guarantee that you are irritating that driver. Best to smoothly accelerate past the truck and eliminate the problem. Do NOT flash your high beams just prior to passing in some sort of misguided effort to make the truck driver aware of your presence or your intent to pass. Think about it for a moment: why would you willingly BLIND a driver whose rig you are about to pass, even on a straightaway in clear dry weather? Let alone a curve in bad weather. It's a stupid idea which REDUCES YOUR SAFETY, so do everybody a big ol' favor and don't do it, lol. There is NO GOOD REASON why one should EVER hit the high beams with regard to big trucks or oversized vehicles, and that includes misguided attempts to "flash in" a driver who has passed you. Allow me to elucidate on this topic... 😕

THE CORRECT WAY TO "FLASH IN" A DRIVER

The phrase "flash in" is a misnomer in itself, as NO flash should be involved in this process. Let's say you're tooling along after dark, doing the speed limit and sticking to the right or "granny lane" on a 4-lane highway (2 lanes in each direction). You're doing everything right, you just don't wanna be rushed, so you're allowing traffic to pass on your left. Along comes a truck or oversized vehicle (bus, RV, pickup with long trailer, whatever), and once that truck or oversized vehicle has passed, you want to let the driver know that it is safe to bring it back over to the right lane. Instead of hitting your high beams, you get a good look at the road ahead of you (to make sure there are no obstructions or hazards in your lane), then turn your headlights OFF for just a second, keeping your other running lights on as you do this. The message is EXACTLY the same, but there's no blinding high beam flash to irritate or distract the other driver. Makes sense, yeah? Now, if you're not used to doing this, it may take time to learn how to do it precisely without turning off ALL your lights, but once you are familiar with the routine, you will be helping other drivers while eliminating stupid and dangerous high beam flashes. You may even get two "thank you" flashes from the trucker with an "interrupt switch"---or two ticks from the left rear turn signal after the truck or oversized vehicle has brought it over to the right lane, which means the same thing. Sadly, there are less "thank you" flashes or ticks than there used to be on our nation's roadways, which leads me directly into our next topic... 😒

ROAD COURTESY

I often joke about road courtesy having gone the way of the dinosaur, but I actually still practice it, and every once in a while, I'm rewarded by a cheerful wave of thanks or a salute of some sort (not the one-fingered kind). What does it mean to show road courtesy? Well, let's say some other driver clearly wants to get over into your lane, and you are in a position to either disregard that driver's signal and rudely drive past, OR you can back out of it for just a moment, let that driver in and then resume your original speed. You might even "flash in" that driver, day or night, and using your headlights in daytime is perfectly acceptable for this purpose... being courteous will boost karma points and prevent road rage incidents, and it really doesn't take THAT much time to let another driver into your lane. If I arrive at a 4-way stop and reach the limit line two seconds later than another driver, but that driver technically has the right of way even though my vehicle is in a "privileged" position, I do NOT stand on the "privilege" but concede right of way with a wave of my hand, since the other driver DID arrive before I rolled to a stop. If the driver doesn't want to go, fine, but I'll play fair at first just because that's the kind of driver I am. We were just talking about lights, so don't forget to DIM your high beams at night BEFORE the other vehicle comes into sight... only an idiot BLINDS an oncoming driver at night on a skinny little 2-lane blacktop road, as that GREATLY INCREASES the risk of collision. These are just a few examples of road courtesy... sadly, one doesn't see too many courteous drivers these days. :(

[Break for the evening, back with more material manana...] 😎

Last edited:
Okay, these holiday distractions are decreasing in number, so I can get on with my thread. Last time I was here, I mentioned that truck drivers in general do NOT like or want other vehicles around their rigs, as it increases the danger for all present. The best course of action is for 2-wheelers (motorcycles) and 4-wheelers (cars, pickups, SUVs, anything with 4 wheels, not necessarily 4WD) to SMOOTHLY ACCELERATE past big trucks and get on down the road. That doesn't mean RACE, nor does it mean CRAWL, just smoothly accelerate so your vehicle passes the truck in question and you're not camped out alongside that truck for any length of time. Remember what I said about equipment failure & exploding truck tires, you don't wanna be around when any of that happens, and the longer your vehicle is camped out alongside a truck, the greater the odds of bad things happening, aye? Reduce that risk by smoothly passing the truck, or by falling back far enough to avoid any debris which might suddenly come your way. With that in mind, let's address our next topic... 🙂

CHOOSING YOUR MOMENT TO PASS

This information relates to all trucks and oversized vehicles, but ESPECIALLY to oversized rigs hauling heavy loads. There's a good time and a bad time to pass, and you don't want your vehicle in a hazardous place by choosing the bad moment, 10-4? This information applies in clear dry weather, and it particularly applies in bad weather where visibility is limited for all drivers. It also applies to driving on open multi-lane interstate highways or skinny little two-lane blacktop roads. The best time to smoothly accelerate past a truck is on some sort of straightaway, where you can see farther ahead and you have time to complete your pass. Do NOT pass on curves where visibility is reduced, and do NOT pass on bridges which are generally narrower than the regular road with its shoulders. You do NOT want to be alongside a truck in tight curves, as the truck driver needs all the room he (or she) can get, and "off-tracking" can bring the wagon or trailer into your lane and dangerously close to your vehicle. It's generally NOT a good idea to pass in tunnels either, but most tunnels are relatively short so it's no great imposition to hold your place and wait until you have a better opportunity to pass. Remember, if it's raining, your wipers AND headlights should be on, and if it's overcast and gray, lights will make you more visible to the trucker, which brings me to my next topic... 😏

KEEPING YOUR HEADLIGHTS OUT OF A TRUCK'S MIRRORS

Like "riding the gap" mentioned earlier, you cannot do this all of the time, but you can MINIMIZE time spent with your lights in a truck's mirrors. Those big ol' West Coast mirrors aboard trucks reflect a lot of light, and if you're sitting back on a truck's quarter with your headlights squarely in that truck's mirrors, I can safely guarantee that you are irritating that driver. Best to smoothly accelerate past the truck and eliminate the problem. Do NOT flash your high beams just prior to passing in some sort of misguided effort to make the truck driver aware of your presence or your intent to pass. Think about it for a moment: why would you willingly BLIND a driver whose rig you are about to pass, even on a straightaway in clear dry weather? Let alone a curve in bad weather. It's a stupid idea which REDUCES YOUR SAFETY, so do everybody a big ol' favor and don't do it, lol. There is NO GOOD REASON why one should EVER hit the high beams with regard to big trucks or oversized vehicles, and that includes misguided attempts to "flash in" a driver who has passed you. Allow me to elucidate on this topic... 😕

THE CORRECT WAY TO "FLASH IN" A DRIVER

The phrase "flash in" is a misnomer in itself, as NO flash should be involved in this process. Let's say you're tooling along after dark, doing the speed limit and sticking to the right or "granny lane" on a 4-lane highway (2 lanes in each direction). You're doing everything right, you just don't wanna be rushed, so you're allowing traffic to pass on your left. Along comes a truck or oversized vehicle (bus, RV, pickup with long trailer, whatever), and once that truck or oversized vehicle has passed, you want to let the driver know that it is safe to bring it back over to the right lane. Instead of hitting your high beams, you get a good look at the road ahead of you (to make sure there are no obstructions or hazards in your lane), then turn your headlights OFF for just a second, keeping your other running lights on as you do this. The message is EXACTLY the same, but there's no blinding high beam flash to irritate or distract the other driver. Makes sense, yeah? Now, if you're not used to doing this, it may take time to learn how to do it precisely without turning off ALL your lights, but once you are familiar with the routine, you will be helping other drivers while eliminating stupid and dangerous high beam flashes. You may even get two "thank you" flashes from the trucker with an "interrupt switch"---or two ticks from the left rear turn signal after the truck or oversized vehicle has brought it over to the right lane, which means the same thing. Sadly, there are less "thank you" flashes or ticks than there used to be on our nation's roadways, which leads me directly into our next topic... 😒

ROAD COURTESY

I often joke about road courtesy having gone the way of the dinosaur, but I actually still practice it, and every once in a while, I'm rewarded by a cheerful wave of thanks or a salute of some sort (not the one-fingered kind). What does it mean to show road courtesy? Well, let's say some other driver clearly wants to get over into your lane, and you are in a position to either disregard that driver's signal and rudely drive past, OR you can back out of it for just a moment, let that driver in and then resume your original speed. You might even "flash in" that driver, day or night, and using your headlights in daytime is perfectly acceptable for this purpose... being courteous will boost karma points and prevent road rage incidents, and it really doesn't take THAT much time to let another driver into your lane. If I arrive at a 4-way stop and reach the limit line two seconds later than another driver, but that driver technically has the right of way even though my vehicle is in a "privileged" position, I do NOT stand on the "privilege" but concede right of way with a wave of my hand, since the other driver DID arrive before I rolled to a stop. If the driver doesn't want to go, fine, but I'll play fair at first just because that's the kind of driver I am. We were just talking about lights, so don't forget to DIM your high beams at night BEFORE the other vehicle comes into sight... only an idiot BLINDS an oncoming driver at night on a skinny little 2-lane blacktop road, as that GREATLY INCREASES the risk of collision. These are just a few examples of road courtesy... sadly, one doesn't see too many courteous drivers these days. :(

[Break for the evening, back with more material manana...] 😎
I think there are so many drivers (I use that term loosely) who are unaware of most of this! I wonder if or how much of this is taught in driver's ed and driving schools these days! I'm going to check out some driver's ed curriculum!

I thought all schools did away with Driver's Ed? And only the private companies exist now? No tellin' how much knowledge or experience those private instructors have... 😒

Tomorrow I will try to address specific situations with regard to big trucks and oversized vehicles, I'm not quite done with that overall topic yet, lol. But this thread is a work in progress, and once it's finished, it may serve to help others... ;)

I got a late start today for various reasons, but our weather here is supposed to be so-so for the next few days, so I should have time to finish the thread. It's a labor of love... and perhaps a smidgen of responsibility, lol. :rolleyes:

Our public schools have fallen down on the job, so I reckon the "elders" (yes, I'm one of 'em) should pass their knowledge on to the younger generations... as was done for so many centuries prior to the existence of public schools. :confused:

I lucked out in high school, I had Coach Greene as an instructor in Driver's Ed, and he was a great role model in many ways. When I attended his funeral, I never saw the church so packed with folks who came to pay their respects. :)

He was a REAL HAND, ol' Coach Greene, as strack as they come, lol... fair too, though he wouldn't hesitate to swat ya if you violated safety rules in one of his shop classes. This was back when corporal punishment was still in effect... :oops:

Thanks to Coach Greene, I'm still the courteous driver he taught me to be, and my safety record is impeccable... at least where it counts, lol. The times I rolled or wrecked vehicles in the dirt were... um... recreational, lol. :cool:

Okay, I made it back to this thread, I got sidetracked by the foot injury, lol... I still have some things to say about sharing the road with big trucks & other oversized vehicles, so let me get on with it. Let's see, this particular topic has been on my mind this morning, so I'll start with it. 😒

COMING TO A STOP BEHIND A BIG TRUCK

You should already know about rolling to a stop at a controlled intersection, using the "limit line" as your guide, but what about rolling up behind a stopped truck, bus or RV? The rule of thumb taught in truck driving school is to leave enough space between vehicles so that you can clearly see the rear tires of the vehicle ahead on the pavement, and that's just on level ground. If you are on a grade, especially an upgrade, you want to leave a little more space between your vehicle and that rig ahead of you. Sometimes a truck driver's foot will slip off the service brake pedal, or that driver will botch his or her plan to get the rig in motion, and the truck will lurch backward due to gravity, aye? It may not be traveling very fast yet, but with all that weight behind it, it will certainly crumple the front end of your smaller vehicle... I've seen this happen, and it doesn't take much of an impact to create major damage. So leave yourself a little more room, it might make all the difference. Same for on a downgrade, you don't want YOUR vehicle suddenly lurching forward and striking another vehicle... the easiest way to prevent this is to leave more space as a safety cushion between vehicles. :)

TRUCKS & GRADES

Whether a truck is "pulling a grade" and working hard to drag that loaded wagon to the summit, or rolling downgrade as the driver strives to keep the rig under control, trucks handle grades DIFFERENTLY than your sedan, pickup or SUV. Some trucks are powerful and can pull grades more easily than other trucks, but it's really all about the gears when it comes to grades... most trucks will have to drop gears as they pull a grade, and it's also important to select the correct gear for the downgrade, otherwise the rig will be moving too fast and the driver will wind up "smoking his brakes." This can lead to dangerous "brake fade" and a rig entirely out of control, perhaps the most dangerous vehicle of all on the road today. Should you ever look in your mirror(s) and see a truck barreling down a grade at high speed and rolling up on ya fast, get the hell out of its way, even if that means going to the shoulder, because a truck out of control can cause massive death & destruction. I've seen the end results when big rigs crashed after loss of control, and believe me, those results were NOT pretty. Many a fatality wreck has occurred precisely because a truck driver was careless or inexperienced, and the correct gear was NOT chosen for a downgrade. :oops:

I know at least one site member offered a valid complaint about trucks lagging on upgrades and rolling too fast on downgrades... I believe the number of truck-related collisions has increased due to the massive influx of foreigners who lack any sort of formal training whatsoever for driving a big rig. Truth be told, some have FAKE CDL-A LICENSES which they purchased from some mole in the DMV... this is no lie or urban myth, there have been documented cases of DMV workers slinging these licenses for a price, usually between $500 and $1000, yeah? And YES, those DMV workers were ETHNICS, but I won't get into that here, I'll stay on topic. The big problem is that now ya have these ignorant foreigners, many who can't read a friggin' word of English, behind the wheels of these huge & heavy trucks, trying to learn as they go... a recipe for disaster if ever there was one. To make matters worse, you have unscrupulous trucking companies who are only interested in the bottom line, so the pressure is on these "drivers" to push the very limits of sensible & legal transport. Such drivers often falsify logbooks, don't get enough sleep, then the very worst scenarios unfold and wagonloads of kids get killed... :(

Now, most states have a minimum speed law of 40 m.p.h. on the interstate, and those truckers who were properly trained know to have their flashers on as their rigs drop below that speed while pulling a grade. I used to put flashers on at 50 m.p.h., just to give motorists behind me more warning, aye? The heavier a loaded rig is, the more likely it is to be moving at a crawl, so you wanna pay attention on grades to determine which trucks are moving slowly... I'm sure some of you have seen oversized rigs with heavy equipment just CRAWLIN' up or down a grade, because that's all the truck and driver can safely do... it's all physics, really, and no amount of cursing or wishful thinking will change that truck's speed. The last thing you wanna do is run up on such a slow-moving vehicle while your own vehicle is still traveling at highway speed... just pay attention, and that way you won't run up on any harsh & sudden surprises. While in town, be patient as a loaded truck labors up a steep hill, for the driver can only grab so many gears before reaching a speed which will allow him to crest the hill. I know this doesn't boost the popularity of the trucker in question, but there really isn't a damned thing that driver can do about it. Just be patient, as even those slow-moving trucks are still the lifeblood of our economy... :rolleyes:

On the downgrade, if a truck driver chooses the wrong gear to hold the truck back, then the truck will quickly overspeed and the driver will be forced to use the service brakes, and rapid heating will soon lead to a driver "smoking his brakes." The truck isn't quite out of control YET, but it could be at any time, so if you see a truck with smoke pouring out from under its wagon, know that this rig is a candidate for total loss of control. You don't wanna be near it when that loss of control occurs, and you certainly don't wanna be in FRONT of it, as it will rapidly pick up speed once the service brakes are gone. Out of desperation, that driver might use his parking brakes in an effort to stop, and this will probably lead to further loss of control as the truck goes into crash mode. Do NOT be anywhere NEAR this rig as it goes completely out of control... the forces involved (again, tied in with physics) are staggering, and highly destructive! The rig becomes a giant battering ram, and woe unto any other vehicles & drivers who are caught in its path! Y'all have seen photos of airplane crashes where debris is scattered over a wide area? Same goes for out-of-control trucks when they ultimately crash... I've seen swaths of debris (and freight) scattered over long stretches as the rigs disintegrated. :oops:

Remember what I said about NOT hangin' around big trucks, and multiply that warning on grades... this from a truck driver who has seen more than his share of nasty fatality wrecks on the road. Not to imply that I was involved in those wrecks, I just happened to see 'em, 10-4? Or roll up on 'em shortly after they occurred. One day, I will post more pics in my trucking thread, which has been sadly neglected over the holidays, lol. For now, a quick break, and then I will resume this discourse upon sharing the road with big trucks & oversized vehicles. Dunno if I'll finish the thread today, but hey, it's a work in progress! Lol. Somehow that reminds me of a bumper sticker I once saw on a big ol' road tractor, it said:

CONGRESS: THE OPPOSITE OF PROGRESS! :mad:

And ain't THAT the truth? Alright, lemme take my break and I'll be back shortly, there are still some important facts and observations to share with y'all, especially you younger folks who may have only recently started driving. Maybe some of you older folks know such youngsters, and don't have the time to teach 'em everything about road safety... that's why I created this thread, so that folks can glean some knowledge from an older hand with many years and millions of miles of driving under his belt. And I'm NOT 'Super Trucker' either, lol, but I NEVER KILLED A WAGONLOAD OF KIDS. :cool:

Last edited:
MANEUVERABILITY IN TRUCKS & OTHER OVERSIZED VEHICLES

By the very nature of their design, big trucks & other oversized vehicles are limited in their maneuverability. Remember when I stated that backing a big truck is all geometry? Well, geometry also plays a part in forward motion, lol... especially in narrow streets and tight situations like those found in many cities in the Northeast. These big rigs need room to maneuver, and that maneuverability depends upon the wheelbase of each unit in the combination, aye? Some tractors have setback front axles, which are great for maneuvering in the city, as the wheelbase of the "power unit" is significantly decreased. Most wagons have "sliders" so the driver can shorten the wheelbase of the wagon before entering a city... another helpful design element. But let's face it: many of our nation's roads just weren't designed with big trucks in mind. So the drivers are faced with challenges as they make their way to pickups or drops... some cities limit the length or weight of rigs on certain streets or bridges, as this helps to prevent a monumental clusterf#ck when the wrong-sized rig actually gets into tight quarters. But let's say a trucker has legally entered such tight quarters, and the only way to make it is to use every inch of space on the pavement, and sometimes part of the sidewalk, lol. :oops:

If you're in such an area of narrow streets and cramped intersections, know that the trucker does NOT particularly want to be there, but it's a necessity of the job. Remember when we discussed 'road courtesy' and allowing other drivers to go first at an intersection? Well, it works both ways: a trucker may surrender privilege and wave you ahead because he NEEDS the space you are occupying to safely make a turn. If you're in such a tight area and you see a trucker waving you to go on, know that it's due to this reason. These modern road tractors pulling 53' wagons are often difficult to drive and also to safely navigate in such tight quarters, and this includes what other drivers might see as simple turns in older towns where the streets were NOT laid out with big rigs in mind. So don't get all butt-hurt or wonder what's going on, just happily accept that courteous wave from the truck driver and move out of the way so that driver can get on with the job. Also, when sitting at an intersection, you may find yourself suddenly faced by a big truck trying to turn in your direction... no need to get gripped or angry, the driver cannot possibly make the turn until you are gone, or until you back up a bit so that trucker can complete the turn. Again, a little patience & road courtesy will work wonders here. ;)

Now, you already know that these trucks & other oversized vehicles need a little more room to navigate in these cities and small towns, so try to "man up" where the road courtesy is involved. And if you're a woman, then "Pearl up!" Lol. If a truck, bus or RV wants to get over into your lane, let it do so by backing off a bit and leaving room for that oversized vehicle. A quick "flash" of lights may encourage the driver to make the lane change (remember, kill the headlights momentarily at night). Trust me, that driver will be thankful, whether he or she has a chance to express thanks or not... it ain't easy, draggin' large rigs through cities and towns with narrow streets & tight quarters. And tempers flare when @$$holes lack courtesy, believe me, lol... I may have gotten angry once or twice during my "driving career." But if you show a little road courtesy, it's a whole different ballgame, and everybody gets to move on without bogging down traffic. I tend to think of driving in cities as a 'Zen exercise in patience'---and as a former trucker, I always give way or show road courtesy to those behind the wheels of big rigs. Buses & RVs too, they are faced with similar challenges due to their size, though their wheelbase & turning radius will NEVER come close to that of a long-nosed Pete or KW pulling a 53' wagon. 😒

Well, hell, I can see I'm gonna run out of time this afternoon, I still have routine tasks to do... but let me cut this short by posting a link to a story I wrote about "trashing around" in Manhattan, lol. In this story, which is a chapter of the book I wrote, I refer to the difficulties truckers have in visiting such places, and trying to safely navigate the skinny streets and tight intersections, aye? Ain't no easy thang, that's for sure, lol. Meh, here's the classic tale, I actually had a good time in NYC, but this happened many years ago, before all this "woketard" BS began, and before the Democratic Scumbag Party really jacked up their efforts to destroy such places, lol. I wouldn't even BOTHER trying to visit NYC now, but hey, at least I got to see it as an adult BEFORE it all went south! Here's the link, and I'll finish this thread later! CHEERS!!! :cool:

Monkey Business In Manhattan

Latest posts

Back