Rocket stove?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frodo

Walk with God, You will never be lost
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
right here right now maybe later over there
Has anyone here built a rocket stove?

Very efficient and you use the sticks in your yard to cook with

rocket1.jpg
rocket2.jpg
rocket3.jpg
rocket4.jpg

I have not made one or used one, but I have bricks and blocks that I could use to make one. Yours looks great.

I would like to figure out how to make an outdoor oven that would be large enough to bake bread or to cook a pizza.
I've the blocks and such to build one, and the sycamore tree supplies me with all kinds of fuel every storm.

Weedy,
Consider Dutch oven Bread and Pizza instead of building an oven :)

I have not made one or used one, but I have bricks and blocks that I could use to make one. Yours looks great.

I would like to figure out how to make an outdoor oven that would be large enough to bake bread or to cook a pizza.
Thats easy
You want a drawing?

Nice work, @Frodo
A friend makes these out of...iron. Sells them too. Rocket stoves have been mentioned on the forum a couple times. I've not made one yet.

I Got the fire brick out of an abandoned building

Here is a DIY on making the mortar, the premix stuff is SKY HIGH
Refractory Cement Recipe

What You Will Need:

• Portland cement (You can purchase a 94 lb. bag at your local hardware store for less than $10.)
  • Perlite (Can be purchased for $10 to $25.)
  • Silica Sand (A 50 lb.bag costs less than $25.)
  • Fire clay or Well drillers mud (A 50 lb. bag averages less than $10.)

The Formula

1.5 parts Portland cement + 2 parts Perlite + 2 parts silica sand + 2 parts fire clay

That stove looks a bit similar in operation to the "Folding FireBox" stove I have for camping. Much larger though. You can either feed the fire with longer sticks pushed in from the side, or you can fold down the top-side flap and throw in a handful of smaller sticks. It comes with some metal "sticks" that you can push through the various holes in the side of the store to make platforms inside - I use this to support an alcohol burner inside. In that case, this folding stove acts like a "burner holder with wind shield". You're not going to lay a 18" cast iron skillet on top and cook for an army, but it works great for one or two people as a portable (not permanent) stove. I've used this for a mini-campfire on cold camping nights where I didn't want to start a real fire. You can set this up on a picnic table and have your own minimalist campfire to roast marshmallows and warm your hands around. Just pick up little sticks and bark that is laying around the campground, throw them in there, and you have quite the cozy little fire.

FireboxStove.com

FoldingFireBox.png

Folded.png

Wood.png

That stove looks a bit similar in operation to the "Folding FireBox" stove I have for camping. Much larger though. You can either feed the fire with longer sticks pushed in from the side, or you can fold down the top-side flap and throw in a handful of smaller sticks. It comes with some metal "sticks" that you can push through the various holes in the side of the store to make platforms inside - I use this to support an alcohol burner inside. In that case, this folding stove acts like a "burner holder with wind shield". You're not going to lay a 18" cast iron skillet on top and cook for an army, but it works great for one or two people as a portable (not permanent) stove. I've used this for a mini-campfire on cold camping nights where I didn't want to start a real fire. You can set this up on a picnic table and have your own minimalist campfire to roast marshmallows and warm your hands around. Just pick up little sticks and bark that is laying around the campground, throw them in there, and you have quite the cozy little fire.

FireboxStove.com

View attachment 39927
View attachment 39928
View attachment 39931

I have a stove very similar to this. I like that it folds flat.

I Got the fire brick out of an abandoned building

Here is a DIY on making the mortar, the premix stuff is SKY HIGH
Refractory Cement Recipe

What You Will Need:

• Portland cement (You can purchase a 94 lb. bag at your local hardware store for less than $10.)
  • Perlite (Can be purchased for $10 to $25.)
  • Silica Sand (A 50 lb.bag costs less than $25.)
  • Fire clay or Well drillers mud (A 50 lb. bag averages less than $10.)

The Formula

1.5 parts Portland cement + 2 parts Perlite + 2 parts silica sand + 2 parts fire clay

We had some fire bricks from fireplace from old house here. Not sure what we did with them.

Nice! Thank you!
I liked his teaching method in the video but he did a couple of things I thought were dumb
He should have made the wood frame for the arch as long as the oven. not moving it 4 times.
then when he installed the brick, he should have staggered the brick/interlocked them.

then when he tied in the back wall. he should have had brick ties installed in the arch to tie the back wall to the sides.

then. if you look at the third video. the fire seems to be take up a lot of room
i think the oven should have been 1 more brick longer . OR his fire was to large. .

to save money. you could get away with building the oven using regular red brick
then, skinning the fire box with the 1'' thick fire brick. red brick can get hot. it just can not have open flame on it

I liked his teaching method in the video but he did a couple of things I thought were dumb
He should have made the wood frame for the arch as long as the oven. not moving it 4 times.
then when he installed the brick, he should have staggered the brick/interlocked them.

then when he tied in the back wall. he should have had brick ties installed in the arch to tie the back wall to the sides.

then. if you look at the third video. the fire seems to be take up a lot of room
i think the oven should have been 1 more brick longer . OR his fire was to large. .

to save money. you could get away with building the oven using regular red brick
then, skinning the fire box with the 1'' thick fire brick. red brick can get hot. it just can not have open flame on it
I thought that once someone makes the mold, it could be used by others.

Yes, something needed to be adjusted so his pizza's wouldn't burn, but I have no idea how.

We had some fire bricks from fireplace from old house here. Not sure what we did with them.
I was wondering how hard it might be to acquire some firebricks. Surely someone has some stacked up in their yard somewhere.

I thought that once someone makes the mold, it could be used by others.
YEP, BUT, He made a mold for only 1/4 of the project. I advocate for making a mold for the whole thing. and laying the brick in a interlocking pattern
4444.png

Yes, something needed to be adjusted so his pizza's wouldn't burn, but I have no idea how.

I was wondering how hard it might be to acquire some firebricks. Surely someone has some stacked up in their yard somewhere.

When we first started getting deeper into survival supplies we bought two Volcano stoves from Emergency Essentials, they are extremely well made and burn a variety of small wood and dried stems, much like the coffee can I made up while I was hitch hiking back in the late 1960's, it had a bunch of holes around the side near the top and a few down lower on the side for fresh air, it's amazing how well it worked and could get water boiling in a short time with just dry grass for fuel.

When we first started getting deeper into survival supplies we bought two Volcano stoves from Emergency Essentials, they are extremely well made and burn a variety of small wood and dried stems, much like the coffee can I made up while I was hitch hiking back in the late 1960's, it had a bunch of holes around the side near the top and a few down lower on the side for fresh air, it's amazing how well it worked and could get water boiling in a short time with just dry grass for fuel.

Viking you did't see Chech or Chong on one of those hitching excursions did you?;)
That DIY stove sounds neat. We have a campfire coffee pot and 2 cups. Just no stove yet.

I've thought about building a small dome oven for pizza/ bread/ etc But I honestly don't know where to put it in my yard where it wouldn't be in the way while also end up being to far away to be convenient. I remember seeing a vid a few years ago where a guy built one that seemed to be a hybrid of a rocket stove mixed with a brick dome oven design which would be cool. I think the kids would love helping to build one.

We have had several stoves, including a home made stove that a welder made for his home & sold to us, when he moved.
The first wood stove was the only heat in our home until I was twelve years old. I have looked into home heating for the new home & for the greenhouse & I think a Rocket mass heater is the best for non electric heating. I see gas as a good heat, but if you can not get power, than you will not be able to get gas or gasoline. So some type of wood heat is a must.

We heated water with one for 8 years before the steel burned out. Thing was impressive! 50 gallons of HOT 150ish water in under an hour with 1/2 a 5 gallon bucket of split wood. It was made from repurposed propane tanks and home heating oil drums.

I built one a few years back for cooking but it seems like I can regulate the heat way better cooking straight over an open fire or wood coals.
The Rocket stove design is pretty much all on or all off not much in between. I couldn't begin to say how many times I blew out the sacrificial pipe in my water heater setup!

I'm just resting and reading a couple of books. Scrolling The forums news feeds etc, Sipping iced tea and posting here once in awhile.

Been wanting to make a rocket stove for boiling maple sap.something with. A few extra chambers to heat the bottom of a long psn.

I have a welded steel stack in a L shape and have been thinking about taking a small oildrum and make up.a rocket stove.

Attachments

• natchez.jpg
    natchez.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 12

Latest posts

Back