ROPE......."like" Clothes-line" rope......but heavier.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Ropes have vastly different construction for intended application. I had always thunked clothesline was all the same "pretty much". But I was desperate for rope, and being a few hundred miles round trip to buzzard gulch, I scrounged some rope from some old tents. (Note: these are $2,600.00 tents, so the rope was above average quality). It looks like clothes line, but is much heavier and higher quality. What is the "proper" term for identifying this weave of rope.

Thanks.........But I did a search and all I got was cheap dog'turd junk disposable rope.

I am looking for the name of the weave of this type rope. It must fall into some "clear" classification, for identification.

Last edited:
Got a Piksure? 😬 That'll help with ID'ing it..

Yikes...........I would have thought everyone knows what clothesline rope looks like. I guess only old-old-old people would have that experience.

Now........I am starting to wonder if you'all use cloths "pins" (they are made for a set diameter rope). Well......the wood clothes pins are made for a specific diameter clothesline rope. I do have some plastic clothes pins that "do" have provisions for two diameter rope sizes.

UHMWPE (ultra high molecular weight polyethylene) rope. Its expensive for the better quality stuff.

UHMWPE/HMWPE is a dyneema equivalent, with ultra high molecular weight polyethylene fiber and high technology. it’s high strength, light weight, low elongation.
  • Stronger: for the same dia., the strength is the same as the wire rope
  • Lower Elongation: the breaking elongation is close to the wire rope
  • Lighter: in the same strength, the weight is only 1/8 of the wire rope, 1/4-1/5 of the nylon rope or polyester rope, 18%-20% of the polypropylene rope
  • Smaller: in the same strength,the dia. of the UHMW PE rope is 55%-60% of the nylon rope or polyester rope,45% of the polypropylene rope
  • Applications: winch rope, towing, mooring system for ultra large container ships, army and navy equipment, offshore, sports equipment, electrical communications, large precision object sling, etc.
https://www.weavertex.com/uhmwpe-webbing/uhmwpe-tent-rope.html
1622595838129.png

I am not necessarily recommending the above sources, just an example of high end tent rope with this material.

Last edited:
Everything goes on the clothesline. I use Harbor Freight blue rope, also their clothesline and rope I find at garage sales. I use many different pins because I use different types of lines. It's a fun challenge😁
I hang my clothes too ;) Clothes pins are a slight addiction prep of mine.

Most clothesline rope that I am aware of is 3/16" braided cotton rope....at least, the clothesline ropes of the 1950s and 1960s were. Below is a link to braided cotton rope that comes in diameters up to 1/2"
https://www.rope.com/products/solid-braid-cotton-sash-cord
Below is a link to precut guy rope for canvas guide tents. It appears this rope is braided nylon.
https://www.canvascamp.com/en_us/pro-guy-rope-set
Many of the old oiled canvas tents used braided cotton, manila, or hemp guy ropes, I assume because the tensioners would grip this type of rope better than a smooth manmade rope would.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-Army-...t-Ropes-82-Inches-Length-/193207830121?_ul=IL

..thought everyone knows what clothesline rope looks like. I guess only old-old-old people would have that experience.

Well then happy I 'qualify as Old', cuz we got Lots of it.. 😬 I mean, 'samples' of your gleaned "rope from some old tents".. I think I might know the type yer talking about, and as others have posited / posted, Yep, it's a Braided rope.. Anyhoo, I'll see if I can post-up, later.. Unless you beat me to the camera / upload.. ;)

jd

Years ago we stopped at a yard sale. A young couple had just moved into a mobile home and we're selling some of their stuff and stuff left on the property by the previous owners. We bought a pair of clothesline poles (concrete still attached from them being removed from the ground). The young man asked what we were going to do with those. I said I wanted a second clothesline. He laughed and said " no, really, what will you do with those"? I'm not sure if he believed me. Oh well, sorry for his high electric bill🙂.

things must be regional..often it is...i never seen rope clothesline. i am 55 and grew up with all of us having clotheslines.all of them were coated wire.

R50a9b125b821bae895f3900985ed6d34

There are a bazillion different types of rope and cord. "Looks like clothesline" is not descriptive enough to identify any of them unfortunately. As we have learned from our Chinese manufacturing friends, "looks like" is not the same as "performs as well as".

My Grandmas and my mom used whatever rope they had handy. Most of the time it was cotton rope but sometimes it was wire. As long as the line didn't get the clothes dirty or fall down it worked.
I can't even imagine a $2600 tent so I have no idea what rope they use.

they are called guide and outfitters wall tents. your clients need to be sorta comfortable on expensive guided hunts in remote back country.theres others as well guides use.

i have lived in wall tents on remote job sites as well.

^ Oof, yeah, have 'self-suffered' a few of those in my life (that might be a fun thread, btw - what's yer Worst 'Doh!!' ever.. Ergo: An item you passed up, only to deeply-regret it, later.. 🤔

..Anyhoo, still searching for that chunk of braided I think our Dear OP might mean.. ;)

jd

When I was growing up on the farm, our clotheslines were #9 wire stretched between big ol' maple trees. They had been there so long that the trees had grown around them.

And yes, on occasion a bird would make a deposit into a pair of freshly washed pants. That made for quite a surprise when you went to put them on...

Latest posts

Back