Rotary Broom

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Caribou

Time traveler
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I have a side-by-side that is 5' wide. I'd like to get a rotary broom and a snowblower for it. I think 5' blower would be fine but since I'll need to angle the broom that a 66" or 72" broom would work better. I have 2" receivers on either end of the machine but no power takeoff. I'll need these to be self powered.

This will be primarily for snow removal. My big problem is with getting 1/2" of snow and having the wife pack it down. If I could brush it off before she drives on it I could avoid the ice buildup on the hill that makes getting home a problem.

I'd appreciate any information about good brands, bad brands, where to buy, or things to look out for.

Thanks SD, my current snowblower is fine with a couple of inches of snow and does better than my plow. My big problem is when there is less than an inch of snow then nothing wants to do a good job. If I don't get rid of the snow the ice builds up and I can't get up the hill on the way home. I have over a hundred yards of drive and my body won't go along with sweeping that much snow. My plan is to develop a system that requires little physical effort to maintain my grounds.

Is your driveway paved or stone?
For light snow that's an inch or less, I use my backpack blower (Stihl BR550). It makes quick work of it.

Another option that works for small amounts of snow is to get a stall mat like this one (or similar material)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat?cm_vc=-10005
Cut a strip about 6" wide by 6' long. Take that strip and install it across the bottom of your plow blade so it's about 1" lower than your current cutting edge.
Be advised that if the snow gets deep, it'll tend to rise up over the snow (especially if your blade is light) so it only works on nominal snow depths.

... My plan is to develop a system that requires little physical effort to maintain my grounds.

Concrete your driveway. Under the concrete lay PEX-tubing. Connect the ends of the PEX to a hot water heater in your garage. Fill the Hot water heater with a mixture of anti-freeze. Timer on the water heater pump. And no you may not sent the bill for this expensive solution to me.

Is your driveway paved or stone?
For light snow that's an inch or less, I use my backpack blower (Stihl BR550). It makes quick work of it.

Another option that works for small amounts of snow is to get a stall mat like this one (or similar material)
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/4-ft-x-6-ft-x-3-4-in-thick-rubber-stall-mat?cm_vc=-10005
Cut a strip about 6" wide by 6' long. Take that strip and install it across the bottom of your plow blade so it's about 1" lower than your current cutting edge.
Be advised that if the snow gets deep, it'll tend to rise up over the snow (especially if your blade is light) so it only works on nominal snow depths.

Our drive is blacktop.

I have a leaf blower that works if it is a thin light snow. By the time I have blown off the parking area I am tired and have no interest in walking down the hill let alone try to climb back up. Between the pain meds and my lack of stamina I'm looking for an easier way.

The stall mat idea might work. I have a plow for the truck and another for the side-by-side.

Concrete your driveway. Under the concrete lay PEX-tubing. Connect the ends of the PEX to a hot water heater in your garage. Fill the Hot water heater with a mixture of anti-freeze. Timer on the water heater pump. And no you may not sent the bill for this expensive solution to me.
The wife and I have discussed this option. She is all in favour of it. I have concerns as to the cost of putting in concrete over our 100 yards of blacktop plus the parking area. I was considering using a coal/wood boiler or drilling 2 or 3 wells and using ground source heat from 150' to 200'. I'd need to make a substantial investment in lottery tickets to pull that off.

Another idea that I have been running around my head is covering the hill, think covered bridge. I rather like this idea as it could add security. The wife would have to buy the lottery tickets as I never win anything.

That is the same stuff used to make cratering charges... If you try to buy too much they are going to I.D. you for record keeping.

For minimum effort you need this: Air Forced 1.

We use it to blow snow, ice, and rock out of railroad switches. The yellow contraption on the back is a diesel turbine engine that forces 500 mph air out of the nozzle up front. It will peel ice off of pavement in no time flat.
Screenshot_20190425-002827.png

Last edited:
Hubby got this mop bucket from work 30 years ago when they replaced it with a new one.
He has repaired it a couple times where it leaked from bottom. It fits my janitors mop of course it is a janitors bucket. I use it a few times a month and it still works fine. Plus its a great workout pushing that huge mop around the floors,no carpet or rugs in our house.
Its probably 50 years old, came from John Smith Chevrolet in Atlanta.

9IYlbk4.jpg

Back