1. Welcome to Homesteading & Country Living.
    We are glad you came to visit.
    Ads in your way? Register/login and read with less ads, or ask how to get rid of them.
    Dismiss Notice

Ruger Security 9 compact

Discussion in 'Range Reports' started by Spikedriver, Dec 14, 2019.

Help Support Homesteading Forum by donating using the link above.
  1. Dec 14, 2019 #1

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

Got the gun cleaned and prepped. Takedown is easy enough. It requires something like a small screwdriver to pry the takedown pin out. I wiped it all down with CLP and gun oil, reassembled it, and took it to the farm to shoot it.

It came with two short, 10 round mags. 15 rounders are available. The mags are a bit stiff to load. They fit well and when you press the release they eject smartly out of the grip.

It was about 20° and windy so shooting was miserable. I only ran two mags through it before I said, "Screw this, I'll wait for a nicer day". There were no failures of any kind. The sights are very easy and quick, much quicker than the 3 dot setup on the SR9. For me, the Sec 9 is a good pointer. Recoil is not stiff, but the gun is light and it does jump around a bit. Due to the cold and wind I wasn't aiming too carefully. At 10 long paces the first mag was about 6 or 7 inches and the group centered about 3-4 inches right of aim. The second group was fired as quick as I could put the front sight back on the 3 inch bullseye. Surprisingly that group only opened up a couple more inches horizontally, and vertical dispersion was only a couple inches more. The sights really work well. They will need to be drifted...

I'll run some more rounds through on a nicer day. For now I'm pleased. I'm quite sure that with careful aim and higher quality ammo I'll be able to get 4-5" groups. That's good enough for my purposes.

2. Dec 14, 2019 #2

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

Good stuff.

I am not a fan of 3 dot sights in any way. Although I am also not a fan of polymer sights or box sights either. I want all of my focus on the front sight and the front sight only.

Bacpacker and Spikedriver like this.
  3. Dec 14, 2019 #3

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Spikedriver

Awesome Friend Neighbor HCL Supporter

This is the sight picture. In actual use the front sight is much larger and more prominent. KIMG0574.JPG

Sentry18 and Bacpacker like this.
  4. Dec 14, 2019 #4

Sentry18

Sentry18

Sentry18

Hired Gun Staff Member Moderator Neighbor HCL Supporter

Yeah, I have handled several of the Security 9 series. Reminds me of the Glock poly sights. Those sights and the current lack of after market sights are 90% of why I don't own a Sec-9 yet. I have seen dozens and dozens of polymer sights snap off in kydex holsters, leather holsters, injection molded holsters, etc. during combat shooting courses. So I avoid them completely. Although I should also add that I am very rough on guns and so are the courses I have attended.

I am sure those sights will serve you well. Ruger tends to over-build things.

Terri9630, SheepDog and Spikedriver like this.

Draft saved Draft deleted