Rural-ish land in the Carolinas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pirouli

New Friend
Neighbor
So for several years we wanted to purchase some land for our small farm sometime in the future. I was looking into purchasing some land in South Carolina and was wondering if anyone can give me some tips on what to look for? I've seen several plots of land online going for way under $20k for something like 3-4 acres. Although there was a couple listings that stated it has an HOA fee which makes no sense to me as this land was in the mountains in the middle of nowhere basically, so I don't know what that was all about. Does anyone know of any cheap land in a decent area either not to far from the ocean or mountains preferably not too far from a town either? Thanks.

Some of the Montana land we looked at had HOAs because the roads were not maintained by the county (too rural), so HOAs were put in place for plowing snow, road maintenance, things of that nature. Maybe those rural Carolina properties have something like that (and not what we typically think of when we hear “HOA”) - something to look into.

I think our property had some HOA verbage. Basically it said this is farmland don't complain about dust, chainsaws, tractors, cows etc.

One of the best things is to look at all the things you can for the area. We checked sites like areavibe, city data and Sterling's best places. These site give tons of info. When you narrow it down to an area you can check out the county regulations. We didn't do that and luckily moved to a county with fairly lax building codes compared to neighboring counties.

Last edited:
...luckily moved to a county with fairly lax building codes compared to neighboring counties.

Oh my gosh, yes - that's a big deal. Safe building practices do not require having some bureaucrat charging fees to look over your shoulder and have control over all your projects. Just the time saved in not needing to have bureaucrats come out and check off various stages of a project is golden.

Greenville, Columbia & Charleston are the biggest cities.
Greenville is in the foot hills & more conservative overall.
Columbia is in the middle & state capital.
Charleston is on the coast & more Liberal of the three.
Camden is the oldest inland town/city, it is 22 miles North of Columbia.
Lexington county is SW of Richland county, which is Columbia home.

https://www.google.com/search?q=s.c...BAgLEAE&biw=1455&bih=688#imgrc=F_ZmuYFkEn7jVM

I personally like Greenville SC. I worked downtown there a couple days a week for two months, mostly after hours. It struck me as an area I would move to, from Charlotte. I found a coffee shop/comedy club two blocks from the job & I would go to at dinner time. Coffee Underground was the name.

I really like it here in the Carolinas.

Let us know if you find a place.

Good luck & have fun

Latest posts

Back