S/O Do you have a hot tub?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S/O Do you have a hot tub?

• Yes, I do have a hot tub

• No, I do not have a hot tub

• No, but my therapist has a hot tub

• No, but I go to my neighbors' when they're not home

Results are only viewable after voting.
I go to the hot springs around here too..I love it and no chemicals in the water. Ive noticed the spring water makes my hair super soft too. I keep thinking Id love to have a redneck hot tub just outside. some sort of stock waterer and hook up my on demand propane hot water heater, or build a fire pit during the day and have the stock tank heating over it all day for a sustained hot soak..hummm...

I need to go to several different hot springs in my lifetime.
Aren't they ever a rocky spring bubbling and all natural....or are most piped in to a bathhouse or piped in to an outside something thingy whatev?

Yes, I'm inexperienced in hot springs.
The developed ones around here are owned and water from the spring gets pumped in to a pool or spa..There are a few known that are a small drive and hike to a natural spring. One happens to bubble out over rock, fall into a nice depression big enough for maybe 4 adults to sit ..me and the dog hit that one sometimes. It is beautiful..

I don't have one yet... But I am going to get one. All I have now is my soaking tub and it's too small for my 3 hour soaks. I can either soak my lower body or my back. I would like to do the whole body thing.
When I do get a Jacuzzi tub I am putting a sign up on it...

No suits allowed
Towels optional

Just because I would like to try being a dirty old man... two out of three doesn't seem to be enough. ;)

I want a spa type tub - with bubbles!
The soaking tub I have is for soaking - it is deeper, longer and wider than a standard tub but it is too short and shallow for me. If I cut my legs off at the knees I would fit but it would be snug lengthwise. It would work if it was two feet deeper too. It is wide enough for the wife and I. A good Jacuzzi tub made for 4 or more would be perfect.

Well I am not sure how I missed this conversation. We had a hot tub for 6 years or so. We kept it hot 24/7 except for summer. We used it alot. It was purchased new and required minimal effort. I was also a pool boy and found most of the hot tubs I maintained relatively easy. Lastly it didn't use much electricity just like the salesman said. We miss it almost daily.

For those who have one... What temp do you keep yours at? I found if I run it much more then body temp it is hard to stay in it long.

I kept it at 85 or so when not in use. Raise it to 100 about a half hour before going in. For therapeutic use (really sore muscles) I will go to 103 but I'm limited to about 15 min or so.

I thought about it. Concrete slab outside the patio door would be a perfect place. GFI outlet is right there. Children are grown, moved out and live out of state, so we wouldn't have any surprises. I visually recall how the wife looked bare footed, blue jeans and bikini top...but that was almost 50 years ago. Today she has a grandmother figure and mine isn't anything to write home about either. The only hot tub in my future is a few years down the road, the one the hospital will have in rehab.

Last edited:
I once had a hot tub in the last house in Colorado that I lived in. Lovely room with redwood, and windows so we could sit in it during snow and see the lights of Denver in the distance. (On a hill above Chatfield Dam). We did have solar hot water put in to help keep it warm. One of the things I miss about that house. It was nice.

I really could use a hot tub about now.
Statistics on the poll are showing that, as you can see, 75% of those participating in the poll do not have hot tubs; 20% do have hot tubs; 5% have therapists with hot tubs. You are free to interpret these results however you see fit. ;)

We have one and use the hell out of it November through April. I keep it at 104 and the care is minimal.

hot tub hunt.jpg

I used to think I wanted one, but what I know is that it would be one more thing to take care of. It would involve making sure the pipes wouldn't freeze when it gets cold. There are many free hot tubs on Craigslist with damaged pipes. When I was teaching GED classes, a couple students, sisters, talked about how they knew where a few hot tubs and pools were in their neighborhood and they would sneak into them at night. I would imagine it would be a matter of time before they would get caught, maybe from evidence left behind, leaving things undone, or leaving a mess. Someone who has a blog had a hot tub for a few years and then sold it. She talked about the maintenance, the cost of the chemicals for her and her husband on a fixed income, and how she got in it everyday for a long time, and then lost interest.

I used to think I wanted one, but what I know is that it would be one more thing to take care of. It would involve making sure the pipes wouldn't freeze when it gets cold. There are many free hot tubs on Craigslist with damaged pipes. When I was teaching GED classes, a couple students, sisters, talked about how they knew where a few hot tubs and pools were in their neighborhood and they would sneak into them at night. I would imagine it would be a matter of time before they would get caught, maybe from evidence left behind, leaving things undone, or leaving a mess. Someone who has a blog had a hot tub for a few years and then sold it. She talked about the maintenance, the cost of the chemicals for her and her husband on a fixed income, and how she got in it everyday for a long time, and then lost interest.

It was 24 degrees here this morning. I woke up at 6:00 am. It was still dark outside. I made a strong pot of coffee. I Slipped my big fluffy black robe on and took a cup of coffee, grabbed a towel and stepped outside around 7:15 AM with the dogs and put them into their run. The sun was just coming up. Frost was on the lid of the hot tub so I flipped back the one side of the lid to expose the steaming water. I dropped my robe on the chair next to the hot tub and laid my towel on the folded back lid. I kicked off my slippers and stepped into the hot water. I hit the pump button for the side I was in and hit the air pump button too. Sat down and sipped my coffee as I watched the sun slowly pink the sky as it began to rise. 20 minutes later I was done and stood up, stepped out and dried off with the towel. Shut off the pump and air pump and flipped the lid back over the tub to seal in the warmth. Dropped the towel and slipped on my robe and slippers. Grabbed my empty coffee cup and went back into the house.

If my hot tub is in operation I do not have to worry about the pipes freezing. They wont with hot water running through them. The hot tub kicks on automatically every few hours to run the water through the filter and keep it clean. The heater circulates the water whenever it gets a bit below the set temp. The only time you have to worry about it freezing and cracking pipes is when it is not in use.
My hot tub had two leaks when I got it. One was the heater jacket and the other was the pump housing. Both from freezing while it was sitting empty and not in use before I got it. My maintenance is minimal and the chemicals are minimal. We are supposed to have a lot of snow this winter and I'm looking forward to sitting in my hot tub watching the sunrise reflect off the sparkly snow. My swimming pool is probably a hundred times more work and chemical use than this hot tub is. I have a 14,000 gallon above ground pool. Intex 16' by 32' pool. The largest that they make. I like to swim laps. It also doubles as my emergency water supply so no salt water filter.

Pool: https://www.intexcorp.com/support/54987eg.html

My hot tub is a 2003 Sundance Altamar 850. I think it had minimal use. It probably sat under a patio cover empty most of it's life.

Here is the Altamar 880. My jet layout exactly like this. I think the only difference is the new one has a waterfall and led color changing lights.
https://www.sundancespas.com/en-us/product-list/altamar

After buying it and replacing one pump that was bad I have about $600 in it. It could use a new cover as the seam between the two halves is broken but I'm in no hurry to drop another 300 on a cover. This one still works fine. I fixed the cracks in the other pump and heater housing with a $4.00 pack of JB Weld.

Now, would I spend $4500. 00 on a brand new Altamar? No way. But I love this one and for $600 I'll use it until it dies and then gut it and make a koi pond out of it. LOL.

Last edited:
We have one and use the hell out of it November through April. I keep it at 104 and the care is minimal.

View attachment 9728

@hashbrown I love the shooting pic from the hot tub. I would love one for my off grid cabin but the electric use just isn't feasible off of my poor battery bank there. I've thought of building one with no jets and a wood heater in it but I think maintenance of the water with no circulation would be a nightmare and I'm not there sometimes for many weeks on end.

I really could use a hot tub about now.
Statistics on the poll are showing that, as you can see, 75% of those participating in the poll do not have hot tubs; 20% do have hot tubs; 5% have therapists with hot tubs. You are free to interpret these results however you see fit. ;)
Now maybe a new poll that asks those who have a hot tub:

How long have you had your tub?
Do you use your tub daily?
Do you never use it and it just sits there?
Are your costs too much for electricity?
Is your chemical costs too high?
Is the hot tub too much work?
Do you love it?
Do you hate it and wish you never bought it?

When we got ours it was only a year old the previous owner had let it freeze. It was a hell of a job to fix, I had a couple of hundred in parts for the repair but a lot of hours. We so enjoy it and use it everyday in the fall and winter. Ive built repaired and taken care of pools for most of my life so I find hot tub care to be easy and minimal for the enjoyment we get out of it. When the snow is flying or after a hard days work its especially awesome.

spa.jpg

@hashbrown I love the shooting pic from the hot tub. I would love one for my off grid cabin but the electric use just isn't feasible off of my poor battery bank there. I've thought of building one with no jets and a wood heater in it but I think maintenance of the water with no circulation would be a nightmare and I'm not there sometimes for many weeks on end.

I might even do one if I had a well to fill it then use it when I'm there but I'm also on rainwater harvest at that location.

When we got ours it was only a year old the previous owner had let it freeze. It was a hell of a job to fix, I had a couple of hundred in parts for the repair but a lot of hours. We so enjoy it and use it everyday in the fall and winter. Ive built repaired and taken care of pools for most of my life so I find hot tub care to be easy and minimal for the enjoyment we get out of it. When the snow is flying or after a hard days work its especially awesome.

View attachment 9732
How do you keep it from freezing?

Fill it when you're there dump it when you leave.

Latest posts

Back