Saddle Hunting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
Any saddle hunters on here? No, not equine saddles. Tree saddles. Starting out this year. I'll come back later with explanations if I'm bringing up something new.

20191013_122756.jpg

I'm not sure I know what you mean, are you talking about a Tree Stand?

One tree "stand" to rule them all. Basically it's a much more comfortable "saddle" that hangs from a tether you girth hitch around a tree and hang from. Somewhat like a rock climbing harness but not. That would probably be quite uncomfortable after a while. Anyway, use climbing method of choice (cam over steps, srt, drt, sticks, options are endless and I'm currently working on a better one) then hitch your tether in the tree and hang. Allows you to get 360 around the tree, hunt any tree, etc. Set up facing the tree and where you think the deer will pass. Helps you hide by having the tree between you and your prey. Always a steady shooting platform because you can brace on the tree. Lots of explanations on youtube if you get on that. Did a couple 10 hour sits last week and have never been so comfortable in a tree. Didn't like my climbing method. Pain in the butt. If interested I'll come back tomorrow and post some pics of my gear and such. A heck of a lot more convenient than lugging a climber around when hunting land unfamiliar to you. It's my run and gun method of choice now.

Sweet, I don't think I have ever heard of that method, but I am interested.

Look up saddle hunting on youtube. A ton of videos. The biggest company with exposure making stuff is Tethrd. However, most of the saddle hunting community is still in the diy stage. I'm working on a climbing method solution and plan on making my own ultralight saddle soon. I think I can get my climbing method, saddle and all gear down to 6lbs and fit into a fannypack. And you won't have to be an athletic monkey to use it. I'll keep updated. Mostly bowhunters right now but good for any hunter. Saddle hunting has been around since the 80's but picking up steam now.

Is that a bungee cord you're hanging from?

Actually much safer that any other "stand". You are always attached to the tree with proper climbing ropes that can support more weight than the tree can handle. Just got back from hunting last night and wife has a "list". After I'm done with list I will take some photos of my gear and post.

That's an original greens saddle from the 80's. They have come a long way since then but I found someone with an original which are now collectable willing to let it go for super cheap. All in (climbing steps, saddle, tether, gear hanger) I'm at $200. Cheaper than any stand I've bought or made. Newer saddles alone run more than that so I think I did good for an initial foray.

The steps on the tree are my climbing method which are a giant pain in the butt. I'm working on a better solution as I said. You tie them to the tree and then they cam over securely (if you get it right).

I added some suspenders and just put on the saddle when I'm walking into the woods. Gone a couple miles in and hardly noticed it was there even though it's a bulkier older model. It has an attached linemans belt for when climbing and the pocket on the back is where you store your tether and gear hanger.

I put a few extra steps in a circle at hunting height to use as a foot platform when at hunting height. This allows me to move 360 around the tree very quietly.

Critters dont seem to know what to make of me up there in a 3d suit. Deer have watched me move all the way around the tree without being alarmed. Similar movements from my stands would make them take off like a rocket.

Safest, lightest, most comfortable "stand" I've ever used. Done several 10 hr sits with much less complaints than traditional stands. Once I get my climbing method squared away and make saddle out of fleece and hexon hammock material I'm never sitting in a stand again.

Edit...forgot to mention the back band. If you notice the top black strap going to tether that's a back band you can lean into for back support.

Last edited:
Oh, and I forgot to mention about climbing method.....tree spikes are a no go. Illegal on public land and not allowed where I hunt because they farm the trees. Anything that breaks the cabrium layer of the tree can pass disease from tree to tree. Would be the obvious easy answer if allowed.

Last night rushed to the stool to empty my stomachs contents just in time. 5 more times thought out the night. Fever with cold sweats. Stomach ache a 7 on a 1 - 10 scale.

Noon door bell wakes me. Roofing contractor to make a minor repair. He knows what needs to be done. I talk to him through a open window. Sweating is gone.

Wake up at 4:30 PM. Email and text those involved to cancel my weekend plans. Move from bed to recliner, wake up an hour later. Start sipping on some Sprit that wife bought for me before she left for the weekend.

9 PM head to bed. No fever and a minor stomach ache.

Last night rushed to the stool to empty my stomachs contents just in time. 5 more times thought out the night. Fever with cold sweats. Stomach ache a 7 on a 1 - 10 scale.

Noon door bell wakes me. Roofing contractor to make a minor repair. He knows what needs to be done. I talk to him through a open window. Sweating is gone.

Wake up at 4:30 PM. Email and text those involved to cancel my weekend plans. Move from bed to recliner, wake up an hour later. Start sipping on some Sprit that wife bought for me before she left for the weekend.

9 PM head to bed. No fever and a minor stomach ache.

So.....not climbing trees today? JK, hope you feel better.

I've got a whole new system worked out now. New gear and doing what's called a 1 stick climbing method. Modded a climbing stick to do it properly. I'll come back and post some pics later. My whole run and gun system is sub 7lbs.

Ok. Gonna revive this thread in honor of upcoming season. I've got a new system worked out and even more new gear on the way.

I'll post up pics of new gear and newest gear when it comes in.

Just too much fun.

Latest posts

Back