Safe Water

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It definitely was NOT a bot. He is a very knowledgeable "know it all" about water stuff. I do not discredit any of his information but he is in the top 3 reasons why I left that forum. In his mind it is his way or death to all. If you look at my first few posts on this thread I welcomed him but urged him to offer constructive criticism and be polite, repeatedly. It was his harsh tone of "type" that caused others to turn against him. I knew he would not change because he has been that way forever on the other forum. He only posted a few times because his account here was turned off due to his harsh behavior.
We all could benefit from the information he has to share but very few would/could accept the delivery method. The first post in this thread may be helpful to many, but I suspect most here are fine without the harsh tone that followed.
Yes! I am sure there is lots of good information in that forum, but too much nastiness. It should not be allowed, but it is. We have had a few others from there come over here with their arrogance, thinking that is the way to relate to people in these groups. I think in the future, we should recommend that place to the people who come here and are nasty and harsh. We had someone here who was removed along with her spouse. That is a much better place for her. She'd fit right in over there. People love to debate and put each other down, with their condescending tones. I wonder why they even come over here?

This has certainly been a strange thread. I used to get het up and into word wars back in the old Backwoods Home Magazine forum, but that was a long time ago and I basically don't pay attention to much anymore.
But, if anyone does have a water quality question, I'd be happy to chime in since that's basically what I do for a living.
And no, while what's his name didn't actually invent the term "safe water", it's not used by professionals because no one can give a guarantee of "safeness". Water for drinking has to be free of bacterial and chemical contamination, but the quality of "safe" water can very considerably. Water can be unpalatable with iron, and even a sulfur smell, yet still be perfectly safe to drink. And water that seems crystal clear and inviting can be full of parasites or PFAS. That's why it's so important to know the source of your water, and, if it's your own well or spring, get it tested at a lab. The over the counter color changing tests aren't always the best.
You may now return to your wide ranging discussion of old threads. :D

The idea that there is something "fixed" that is "safe water" belies the reality that what is safe for one individual or group of people may not be safe for others.

I have traveled extensively for work. I have worked on seven continents.

The one constant I have learned about drinking water is that it is most likely safe for the locals who have been accustomed/adapted to it - but it is most likely going to make those not accustomed to it, somewhere between mildly and very sick.

People who grow up in an area with significant water contaminants develop resistance to those contaminants. While that resistance may not provide 100% protection (plenty of people in Africa get sick/killed by contaminated water), it does protect most of the people most of the time.

I know people who grew up and live in developing nations that have visited Western/developed nations and been made sick by the water.

The idea that there is something "fixed" that is "safe water" belies the reality that what is safe for one individual or group of people may not be safe for others.

I have traveled extensively for work. I have worked on seven continents.

The one constant I have learned about drinking water is that it is most likely safe for the locals who have been accustomed/adapted to it - but it is most likely going to make those not accustomed to it, somewhere between mildly and very sick.

People who grow up in an area with significant water contaminants develop resistance to those contaminants. While that resistance may not provide 100% protection (plenty of people in Africa get sick/killed by contaminated water), it does protect most of the people most of the time.

I know people who grew up and live in developing nations that have visited Western/developed nations and been made sick by the water.
Yes. See Montezuma's revenge.
Been there, drank that, and blew it out my ...ah, nevermind :rolleyes:.
Perfectly safe to drink... if you are used to it.:)
Noun: Montezuma’s revenge (uncountable)

1. (humorous, euphemistic) Diarrhea experienced by tourists after drinking water or eating food in Mexico as a result of a bacteria strain to which native Mexicans are immune.

Last edited:
I've traveled a lot also, despise the water in a few places I've been. Funny, first time I learned how different the water tastes around the US was in the military. Like most sailors I had a few beers occasionally. Even national brands like bud tasted different depending on the region of the US where it was brewed. A lot of guys had to find a new preferred beverage every time they were transferred to a new duty station. 😆

A bud in GA tasted different than one in CA or IL or NY. Sometimes it was very noticeable, especially CA. As much as I dislike bottled water I preferred it to water in the Bay Area, CA. I couldn't figure out what I disliked more, the water or local brews.

edit, Had to look up the company... Anchor Brewing (sanfran), horrible beer.

Last edited:
Even national brands like bud tasted different depending on the region of the US where it was brewed.

A bud in GA tasted different than one in CA or IL or NY. Sometimes it was very noticeable, especially CA.
Yes! I had a similar experience when I traveled in the (former) Soviet Union in the late 80s. The Pepsi in Leningrad (St Petersburg) tasted SO GOOD! I don't remember where I learned this, but the explanation I got was that the water it was bottled with was different (and very good) compared to what I was used to. It was really quite noticeable.

Yes! I had a similar experience when I traveled in the (former) Soviet Union in the late 80s. The Pepsi in Leningrad (St Petersburg) tasted SO GOOD! I don't remember where I learned this, but the explanation I got was that the water it was bottled with was different (and very good) compared to what I was used to. It was really quite noticeable.
I wouldn't be surprised if it was real sugar, compared to the US which had gone to corn syrup. I remember going to Mexico back in the day, and finding out that they had sugar instead of corn syrup in their cola.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if it was real sugar, compared to the US which had gone to corn syrup. I remember going to Mexico back in the day, and finding out that they had sugar instead of corn syrup in their cola.
Excellent thought there!

I recall the delight I had as a young teen visiting my aunt and enjoying Pepsi to wash down bologna sandwiches with ketchup. Sandwiches aside... The Pepsi was not what we have now.

That may have been about 1972 or so.

Wonder when they switched ?

Note
I am not considering Coke because there were to many farting with the formula ... and I am confused.

Ben

Isn't this what happened back when we got "New Coke" around 1983, that they switched from sugar to corn syrup? The stores had the new variety of Coca-Cola, New Coke, which they kept selling for a few months, and then they went back to original Coke, which was not the previous recipe, but an even different recipe.

Excellent thought there!

I recall the delight I had as a young teen visiting my aunt and enjoying Pepsi to wash down bologna sandwiches with ketchup. Sandwiches aside... The Pepsi was not what we have now.

Note
I am not considering Coke because there were to many farting with the formula ... and I am confused.

Ben
At least us older people got to drink 'the good stuff' back in the day.
Remember chugging down a delicious Nehi Grape Soda after scorching in the hot sun? :)
They were 10¢ each (if you gave the empty back, if not, 12¢):
Vintage-Original-Sealed-NEHI-Soda-Bottle-Grape-Pop.jpg

Today, a 6-pack is $25 :mad: :

Screenshot_20220801-215723.png

Last edited:
At least us older people got to drink 'the good stuff' back in the day.
Remember chugging down a delicious Nehi Grape Soda after scorching in the hot sun? :)
They were 10¢ each (if you gave the empty back, if not, 12¢):
Vintage-Original-Sealed-NEHI-Soda-Bottle-Grape-Pop.jpg

Today, a 6-pack is $25 :mad: :

View attachment 91974

Your killin me here Sup... Grapico was the best grape soda in the south! My uncle had a little country store. He always kept a Grapico in the very bottom of a big pepsi cooler for me.

then, since 1916... now...
grapico 08.jpg
grapico 09.jpg

Excellent thought there!

Note

Ben
Mexican coke (a cola) is availible in the bigger grocery chains in pint sized glass bottles like god intended, that distinct burn I remember as a kid is still there. Before the outbreak, Pepsi fielded two items called "throwback" made with real cane sugar both Pepsi and Mountain dew flavors, they were so good they would bring tears of nostalgia to your eyes! and now, they are gone, maybe forever.

Fascinating thread! When I worked for an internet startup back in the 90s we went through coke at a terrifying pace. Apparently there were two different Coke bottling plants in the area, one which drew it's water from Lake Erie and one that drew it from springs. I had a co-worker that could identify the plant by taste and refused to drink the Lake Erie water. I can't say I blamed him, but I couldn't taste the difference, even tasting each one after the other.

Ever do the cola challenge?
Coke, Pepsi, RC
I beat it every time and don't even show me a Sam's choice!
Took it back in the 80s and rated them RC, Pepsi and Coke - but that was back when they were using real sugar. Now it all tastes like chemicals, but real-sugar Dr. pepper or Coke would be my preference.

Isn't this what happened back when we got "New Coke" around 1983, that they switched from sugar to corn syrup? The stores had the new variety of Coca-Cola, New Coke, which they kept selling for a few months, and then they went back to original Coke, which was not the previous recipe, but an even different recipe.
Hmm. I didn't think that had anything to do with the corn syrup switch. Perhaps I am wrong. I recall that Coke actually switched the flavoring when they went to "New Coke." They were losing market share to Pepsi at the time. I don't recall it having anything to do with corn syrup. I thought they tried to switch back to "Original Coke." But, again, I could be wrong.

Hmm. I didn't think that had anything to do with the corn syrup switch. Perhaps I am wrong. I recall that Coke actually switched the flavoring when they went to "New Coke." They were losing market share to Pepsi at the time. I don't recall it having anything to do with corn syrup. I thought they tried to switch back to "Original Coke." But, again, I could be wrong.
You could be right on, and I could be wrong about it. It has been so long ago, I don't even really know.

No and by the way blow it out your hiney hole city boy!
hashbrown is a lot like my eastern neighbor, with his past knowledge and the very hard work he has done over the years, he is someone I wouldn't mess with, he normally wouldn't address people this way unless he had a dang good reason, as far as that goes, there's probably a lot of other people here that don't appreciate having things pushed down their throats like we are a bunch of no nothings that need to be addressed like little children in the first grade. I normally wouldn't step in and say anything, but as far as I'm concerned hashbrown has been one of the good guys around here, so when he addresses someone like this, I believe he has damn good reason.

You could be right on, and I could be wrong about it. It has been so long ago, I don't even really know.
They actually started phasing in the corn syrup in the early 80s - for a while it was a 50/50 mix of sugar and HFCS. In 84 both Pepsi and Coke were 100% corn sweetened. They say it's because corn sugar was 5-8 cents less per lb, but I'm pretty sure it's because it doesn't fill you up like sugar does.... So you can drink more, and more.

All of my "Safe Water" comes in pressurized, sealed containers from the Rocky Mountains in Golden Colorado....
Looks like this:
COORS-LIGHT-24-PACK-CANS-500x500.jpg

Very safe. :thumbs:
Do they still have those "Baseball bat" bottles of the banquet beer? we can't get it here anymore in bottles.

hashbrown is a lot like my eastern neighbor, with his past knowledge and the very hard work he has done over the years, he is someone I wouldn't mess with, he normally wouldn't address people this way unless he had a dang good reason, as far as that goes, there's probably a lot of other people here that don't appreciate having things pushed down their throats like we are a bunch of no nothings that need to be addressed like little children in the first grade. I normally wouldn't step in and say anything, but as far as I'm concerned hashbrown has been one of the good guys around here, so when he addresses someone like this, I believe he has damn good reason.
He most certainly did, the dude was acting like a jack@$$! his DI attitude was abrasive and annoying, if Hashbrown hadn't told him where to stick it, I would have! Just because one knows things is no sign no one else does!

Something that hasn't been mentioned about the Zeke thing is this:

When you have been a prominent poster on a big forum, and then you join another smaller forum where people discuss some of the same subject matter (and hence some people have been/are on both forums), you have a choice:
1) You can join with a new unrelated user name - in which case you will be making a fresh start and no one will have any prejudicial ideas about you.
2) You can join with the same user name - in which case you bring whatever reputation you earned at that previous forum, with you.

Almost all reputations are some mix of good and bad.

Zeke chose to be recognizable as the same member from another forum. He chose to bring that reputation with him.

Choices have consequences.

Latest posts

Back