Safe Water

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The information was good. the rock hard delivery not so much. Too bad there wasn't a cordial sharing of information. But, I am not surprised. I kinda felt this would happen and mentioned a few times things should remain cordial and polite but unfortunately that didn't happen. When you go somewhere new you should step lightly and be polite. If you disagree you should politely explain why, not start being agressive and derogatory.
There is plenty of good information there but unfortunately the delivery was out of bounds. I have only been here a year and I still try to act like the new guy. Maybe in a few years I will feel more at ease but I am trying to tread lightly and work my way up the ladder. There are a few subjects in where I believe I KNOW more than most everyone else but when I share that information I try to word it politely and if someone disagrees that is fine by me. This isn't boot camp, we can't, and shouldn't, try to shove an idea down someone's throat just because we believe it to be correct.

..unfortunately the delivery was out of bounds.

Hmm.. 🤔
Safe Water ..Guess we'll have to 'agree to disagree' on that point.. Personally, 'I find no (real) sin in this Man'.. 🤔

Indeed,
it would have been better to simply 'Ignore and move on', but.. Perhaps when all of Us have survived thru as many 'battlefronts' as Zeke has, and suffered as Many 'but Muh Opinion!'ers as he has (on other forums..) we may react similarly - when it Comes to 'core-critical' Topics, such as "Safe Water".. Like, say, 'Reloading' for example, there's not much 'wiggle room for Opinions', when it comes to Safety.

Anyhoo, I'm Done tryin to point to the 'middle ground', here, He's sadly been nuked, and that's just a shame, all-around, because what We're ALL about to 'face' in the near future.. Is gonna be a Helluva Lot Worse than suffering some 'terse words' on pages of the Internet.

jd

What's wrong with this stuff?:dunno:
Our version of 'safe water':
maxresdefault.jpg

I am not spending an hour of my life making a dollar's worth of drinking water, just because I could.
What is wrong with this version of water is the plastic! Plastic is in everything and everything is in plastic. Daughter took a class over a decade ago and told me to get rid of plastic especially for water. She had seen an article about water in plastic and made the decision to avoid water in plastic bottles. We use glass or ceramic for beverages. To go? I use the wide mouth straight sided canning jars. Of course they can break, but I have yet to have that problem. I do have water stored in plastic 5 gallon jugs, but I also have some in glass carboys. I do use plastic gallon jugs to haul water for dogs to dog parks, and I reuse the jugs until they fall apart or start to leak.

What is wrong with this version of water is the plastic! Plastic is in everything and everything is in plastic. Daughter took a class over a decade ago and told me to get rid of plastic especially for water. She had seen an article about water in plastic and made the decision to avoid water in plastic bottles. We use glass or ceramic for beverages. To go? I use the wide mouth straight sided canning jars. Of course they can break, but I have yet to have that problem. I do have water stored in plastic 5 gallon jugs, but I also have some in glass carboys. I do use plastic gallon jugs to haul water for dogs to dog parks, and I reuse the jugs until they fall apart or start to leak.
Yep, and I'll even pile on by reminding people that plastic bottles are made with evil petro-chemicals! gaah
I got a chuckle out of the glass jars. Of course they are far better than plastic.:thumbs:
But down here, if we put water in 'wide mouth straight-sided canning jars', we would have a cop opening each one and sticking his finger in them to see which ones had moonshine in them.:LOL:

Last edited:
Yep, and I'll even pile on by reminding people that plastic bottles are made with evil petro-chemicals! gaah
I got a chuckle out of the glass jars. Of course they are far better than plastic.:thumbs:
But down here, if we put water in 'wide mouth straight sided canning jars', we would have a cop opening each one and sticking his finger in them to see which ones had moonshine in them.:LOL:
Well, that is funny and I suppose there are people who do keep moonshine in canning jars. I've never been in the same room with moonshine, that I know of, other than my grandfather's potato and chokecherry wine. I don't think that is moonshine. I keep water in my car in one, with a screw on lid and a metal straw. I've also started taking my coffee in one in the mornings, but just put the lid on and take the lid off when I want a drink, but that is pretty obvious that it is not moonshine.

BTW, do you make moonshine? I can appreciate you not being willing to answer the question, given the LEO's here!

Well, that is funny and I suppose there are people who do keep moonshine in canning jars. I've never been in the same room with moonshine, that I know of, other than my grandfather's potato and chokecherry wine. I don't think that is moonshine. I keep water in my car in one, with a screw on lid and a metal straw. I've also started taking my coffee in one in the mornings, but just put the lid on and take the lid off when I want a drink, but that is pretty obvious that it is not moonshine.

BTW, do you make moonshine? I can appreciate you not being willing to answer the question, given the LEO's here!
No, but I did years ago. Very 'safe'. No copper-tubing with lead-solder joints holding it together for us, only stainless-steel tubing. :thumbs:
If you get pulled over down here and you have a clear jar, with clear liquid in it, and a screw-on lid, be prepared to 'walk the line'.:oops:

Haha!
My son loves to use quart canning jars for water - it's just a convenience thing for him. But when he drives in to suburbia, he gets more than a few looks, lol.
It is not super common here, but it is not uncommon either. I see people with coffee in canning jars here. Daughter does a thing where she prepares jars for smoothies, putting blueberries, frozen greens, and whatever other things she adds to her smoothies, except the liquids. In the mornings, she pulls a jar out of the freezer, adds the liquid she is using and blends it. Then she put the jar lid on and off she goes to work. I am much less likely to spill coffee when I have it in a jar with a lid that I remove just to take a sip and put the lid back on. I use the special tops with holes for straws for water, but occasionally other things.

Back to 'Safe Water'.
Since the narcissist has left the building and we have touched on distillation, even though I am not a fan of drinking distilled water, in a 'survivalist situation' where you only have 'unsafe' water to work with, it would be far better (safer) than contracting a waterborne disease, ingesting heavy metals, or dying of dehydration.
...Of course, if you had a 'still, there are better things to run thru it besides swamp-water, that will give you plenty of money to buy all of the safe, potable water you need. :thumbs:;)
Now, back to filtering your drinking-water thru banana peels and cilantro.:p

Back to 'Safe Water'.
Since the narcissist has left the building and we have touched on distillation, even though I am not a fan of drinking distilled water, in a 'survivalist situation' where you only have 'unsafe' water to work with, it would be far better (safer) than contracting a waterborne disease, ingesting heavy metals, or dying of dehydration.
...Of course, if you had a 'still, there are better things to run thru it besides swamp-water, that will give you plenty of money to buy all of the safe, potable water you need. :thumbs:;)
Now, back to filtering your drinking-water thru banana peels and cilantro.:p
LOL!
I had the same thought about the person! And, condescending! There was/is so much of that in that other forum! The things people say to each other over there and the way they talk to each other regularly is not how I want to live my life. Ever been around New Yorkers who insult each other all the time? That is what it is like there, imho.

I get that water that is distilled is missing stuff that we need. This is where a pack of many kinds of things could help--tea, koolaid, Emergen-C, other hydration powders.

The simple fact is that he was here less than a full day and was already arguing with people who have been here for years. Something akin to "Hi. I know all this information. I am an expert. You are wrong and fornicate thyself. You started it. why are you picking on my when I know everything." That was the problem. And that is his problem at the other forum.

We bought a gallon size distiller, got it mainly for the lead-acid solar batteries. I've read a few articles that said it's not all that good to drink distilled water, probably because it doesn't have any good minerals and I can certainly see that in all the mineral build up inside the distiller after making 6 gallons. It certainly shows just how much calcium is in our spring water.

Water is a big concern for me. We have a good well that produces clean, pure water. The problem is that its 650 feet deep and a quarter mile from the house. All is fine as long as I can get fuel to run the generator. Without fuel to run the generator; no water. We have a spring fed pond that's over 1/4 mile away. Good water but its also used by cattle and wildlife. We have springs too, but they're a quarter to half mile away over a hill. At this time I don't know what we'd do for water if there's ever a serious SHTF event. I'd like to drill a new well closer to the house and hope we dont need to go as deep.

The simple fact is that he was here less than a full day and was already arguing with people who have been here for years. Something akin to "Hi. I know all this information. I am an expert. You are wrong and fornicate thyself. You started it. why are you picking on my when I know everything." That was the problem. And that is his problem at the other forum.
It is sad that places like forums where a person can get so much information can be turned into such egotistical places. When he introduced himself, I thought maybe my response sounded a little negative, but when it was done, I think I hit the nail on the head, almost like a fortune teller. I always wondered why Kevin allowed that to go on over there. It was the first forum that I joined when I was looking for information on preparedness and the membership is huge. The way people talked over there made me feel like such an idiot, even though I was there to learn. There is no need to be so condescending when sharing information.

I collected this from a dumpster dive. Worked good.

shared (4).jpg

It used a fan for the heat exchange to I made an air cooled coil.

shared (3).jpg

It worked as well but had too many coils because the coil would become vapor locked (? Fluid got caught in coil and would not run out). Cut it down.

shared (2).jpg

An old school thermometer monitors the boiler vessel.

Ben

It is sad that places like forums where a person can get so much information can be turned into such egotistical places. When he introduced himself, I thought maybe my response sounded a little negative, but when it was done, I think I hit the nail on the head, almost like a fortune teller. I always wondered why Kevin allowed that to go on over there. It was the first forum that I joined when I was looking for information on preparedness and the membership is huge. The way people talked over there made me feel like such an idiot, even though I was there to learn. There is no need to be so condescending when sharing information.
The "tell" for me was the mention of sheep skins in the intro. While I suspect there are quite a few members with academic credentials on this forum I have not detected them flaunting them to establish authority in our discussions (myself exempted... I have been accused of being arrogant 😊 ).

We were talking about good water...

Talk among yourselves...

Ben

The "tell" for me was the mention of sheep skins in the intro. While I suspect there are quite a few members with academic credentials on this forum I have not detected them flaunting them to establish authority in our discussions (myself exempted... I have been accused of being arrogant 😊 ).

We were talking about good water...

Talk among yourselves...

Ben
I saw a sheep once :)

*sigh* Wasn't gonna comment any further, but...

..You are wrong and fornicate thyself...

He never said or even Implied Anything like that, and I can't let that stand, sorry..

...he was here less than a full day and was already arguing with people who have been here for years.

..And that has precisely What bearing on the Value of the Most-Accurate info he was gunning for? 🤔 Where some only saw "arrogance" and "rudeness".. I looked / read Past all that, and only saw Experience, ie:

(PS - 'language alert', for those that don't know this flick..)

..Cuz, yah, I Am tougher than anyone's 'terse prose'.. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Oh well...

jd

I've eaten mutton a few times, tasted pretty good, a little greasy and a touch tough.
I don't like mutton. There are too many other things on this planet to eat first.
And as much as I may believe climate-change (not manmade) is happening, I don't think we will ever be in a situation like the movie "Waterworld".
Look! I'm on topic!.... Purifying water so it is safe to drink:

Last edited:
The topic is good water. The OP had good information and was kind enough to share. He was a good man but not such a good teacher.
It is against the forum rules to belittle or berate a poster and when you do that you lose a little of yourself to it.

Distillation was mentioned and if you have water that has fuel or oil you are going to need a good reflux still or a cracking still (plant) to separate the water from your distillate. With a well tuned reflux still you can distill water at a lower port and the fuels and oils at a higher port simultaneously. If you need to know how these work there is some very good information on the net. A cracking plant is designed to separate distillates that have boiling points within fractions of a degree. Instead of using packing in the distillation tube they use a much taller tube. The distance between the vapor ports is measured in feet of tube and the cooling starts at a point near the center of the tube. At 212F water turns to a vapor so you can capture and collect pure water from that point. At a point several feet up alcohol turns to a vapor and you can choose ethanol or methanol or both in separate distilling tubes. Farther up the stack you get the lower boiling point product and you can use pressure to recombine these fuel or solvents to make kerosene or other usable "solvents" or you can do like the refineries do an just burn of the heated gases. The coolant can be recycled into a ground radiator an pumped back up the stack to continue the process. Although cracking plants typically use pressure in their processes it is not absolutely necessary if you are just extracting the liquids and not making new products (cracking). Water is pretty much alone in the area around 212 F. All the liquids enter the stack as vapor and cool at specific temps back to liquid.

All that said, a reflux still is the least complex still you will need. A pot still shown earlier will distill water but it can't separate the water from the other stuff that remains steam down to below 212 F.

I've eaten mutton a few times, tasted pretty good, a little greasy and a touch tough.
I would have to be getting pretty hungry to eat mutton. That's one of the few meats I dislike. They eat a lot of it in the middle east, and that's probably why everyone there so mad all the time...

Thanks SoJer, Just trying to get more on this topic back into the discussion.

LOL! I think this is a multi topic thread! I think any topic goes now! But, it was about water.
I think I know why this happens, at least with my pea brain, sometimes while I'm posting on one article something will come across my mind that I don't want to forget so I try to blend it into the present topic, anyway, that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it.

Latest posts

Back