Salsa

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peanut

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Tonight was my first attempt at homemade salsa! I checked the net for ingredients. Onion - I used sweet white onion, jalapeno - fresh from the porch, tomatoes – fresh from the garden but because of all the rain tomatoes are really juicy. I added a couple of cherry tomatoes, less juicy. My cilantro plant died a month ago so I used dried and let it soak in the juice for an hour. I happened to have a couple of limes to squeeze. Add salt to taste…

I just played it by ear, sort of looked right… A little runny but the best salsa I’ve ever had. It was good! Fresh ingredients make all the difference in the world.

Anyone have their own “experienced” recipe?

Salsa_v1.jpg

I make my own pico de gallo fresh but every time I try to make salsa, it turns out sweet. I don't use sugar at all. I do can it. Not sure if it is the type of tomato or the canning process. If you found one you like (even if a little runny), I would hang on to it and next time cut back on any liquid. Or drain tomatoes longer

I cook my tomatoes in the oven along with all the onion and jalapenos I plan on adding. Once cooked down throw into a blender to puree along with garlic and salt to taste. I use whatever combination of tomatoes I have from the garden. . . Cherry, romas, beefmaster,, homestead, etc. If I need a little more slice I add in red pepper flakes. When I go to can I add in the cilantro. To every pint size jar I add in 1 Tablespoon lemon juice and fill to 1/2 in head space. Process 10 minutes in a water bath. It turns out more like the salsa you would get at a Mexican restaurant.

I make my own pico de gallo fresh but every time I try to make salsa, it turns out sweet. I don't use sugar at all. I do can it. Not sure if it is the type of tomato or the canning process. If you found one you like (even if a little runny), I would hang on to it and next time cut back on any liquid. Or drain tomatoes longer
It’s th tomatoes. Mine is that way, too. I’m going to use Roma type if I can ever get any to grow. I had several really nice ones this year, then the vines died. Too hot, too early, no rain does it every time.

Tonight was my first attempt at homemade salsa! I checked the net for ingredients. Onion - I used sweet white onion, jalapeno - fresh from the porch, tomatoes – fresh from the garden but because of all the rain tomatoes are really juicy. I added a couple of cherry tomatoes, less juicy. My cilantro plant died a month ago so I used dried and let it soak in the juice for an hour. I happened to have a couple of limes to squeeze. Add salt to taste…

I just played it by ear, sort of looked right… A little runny but the best salsa I’ve ever had. It was good! Fresh ingredients make all the difference in the world.

Anyone have their own “experienced” recipe?

View attachment 7884
Peanut, don’t put the salt on the whole batch unless you are going to eat it right away. Salt pulls the liquid out. My SIL makes the best pick de gallo. I could eat a gallon. She just uses your same ingredients except she uses the fresh cilantro. You might try a little cummin.

Latest posts

Back