Salt to alleviate migraine headaches?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
http://www.askaprepper.com/how-to-stop-migraines-with-salt/

Excerpt: "It is rare that we view salt – once a harbinger of doom for those with high blood pressure, or those at risk for heart disease or stroke – as a remedy for anything. Emerging research, however, suggests that episodic use of salt could alleviate the symptoms of migraine headaches."

The main treatment for my daughters condition is 10mg of salt and 90oz of water daily. Migraines were her first symptom. She was having about 3 a week for almost a year. I about fell over when the Doc said 10mg of salt daily.

Y'all have any idea how hard it is to find foods that aren't low or "reduced" salt now a days. We cook most things at home but try to have some grab and go type snacks for her.

As someone who has had way more than my share of migraines, I have never heard of salt as a remedy. I tend to be someone who get spoken to about the amount of salt I use, or over use. I am not sure how that has worked for me, or not, relative to my migraines.

I have read that a magnesium supplement works. Soaking your feet or bathing in epsom salts is a way to get magnesium as well. There are a few foods that are recommended for migraines and this could be made into a smoothie: celery, apple, ginger.

My cousin and her dad both had migraines. Water and staying hydrated is what worked for them.

That's funny because I noticed as a kid if I got the rare headache some salt would help it. I've been telling my wife this for years but she thinks I'm nuts. Now I can count the headaches I've had in the last 10 years on one hand and my wife gets a decent one about 2 or 3 times a month so maybe it works better for me cause i dont get many to begin with.

Latest posts

Back