Salt to treat cramps ? ? ?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For the first time in I would guess more than 30 years I could taste just a trace of salt in the sweat running down my face today. That was a surprise. Hard as I sweat today and no cramps yet! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! I fully expect a few minor cramps at minimum. Got plenty of sore & tired muscles. Today was another 4 shirt day.

Couple cramps yesterday but not as intense as what I normally deal with. These cramps were different in a way they felt more like overworked muscles especially since they were only in my right hamstring and left upper arm / shoulder not all over my body as I am use to. Also I only got one each not hours and hours. Neither lasted more than a few minutes.

One other change the additional salt seems to be making is I was sticky as I started to cool down and stopped sweating. Couldn't get showered fast enough!

Last edited:
Having a hard time remembering to do the salt. Had a few minor cramps last couple days. Had a little salt but only once or twice a day not the 3-5 times I was at first. I can deal with minor cramps like these no problem. Long as the bone benders stay away I'm all good...

I'm NOT offering any medical advice here, but if it was me, I'd prefer to get some salt tablets in leiu of just downing table salt so that perhaps I could figure out the correct dosage. Or, if I didn't mind the salt taste, I may try a tsp or so in a shot glass with some water and gradually work up or down from there, depending upon what took care of the problem. I'd be super careful though and monitor my vitals and general feeling of wellness, especially if I had other health problems. I'd stop self treatment if I experienced heart palpatations, dizziness, fatigue, or any other unusual symptoms. But, that's just me......

Thank you for your concern. I have a ways to go if I'm going to try and get to an entire TSP in a day. I always thought I ate plenty of salt turns out I hardly ate salt. I tested my grinder and it takes a whole lot of twists somewhere around 9 to get to a TSP. I usually used a half a twist on a meal and thought it plenty.

I am actually feeling a lot better with more energy to do things and I am finding I am able to work for longer at one time. I think I was able to go near 3 hours in a single stretch again today. Which for me doesn't happen often.

Oh and I am using sea salt next I'll try the pink salt I ordered last week.

What really burns me is the doctors in hundreds of visits over 25 years for the cramps never once suggested it could be salt or electrolyte issues. They tested and tested put me on pill after pill some quite heavy many narcotics many muscle relaxers. When simple old salt and or electrolytes were what I needed. Guess that would have cured the problem though and some of them are just out to make big bucks!

I've found that most Dr's assume that everyone eats to much salt and has high blood pressure and high blood sugar. The first 3 cardiologist I took the kid to automatically told me to cut her salt and soda (sugar) intake before asking anything about her issues.

Last edited:
True and I am not normal always been under 100 when sugar was checked 43 once after passing out many years ago. Doctors did always tell me I had low sodium but never said a word about eating more salt or anything of the sort. They did tell me to eat more small meals to deal with low blood sugar.

I've found that most Dr's assume that everyone eats to much salt and has high blood pressure and high blood sugar. The first 3 cardiologist I took the kid to automatically told me to cut her salt and soda (sugar) intake before asking anything about her issues.
That chaps me all the time.
They assume everyone is overweight and needs to eat more healthy foods, and exercise more, before they ever see you.
I struggle monthly to keep from losing more weight. I know I'll be a scrawny old man soon enough, no point in rushing it just because some Karens weigh over 300 pounds :mad:.

To be fair, that assumption is true 90% of the time & the test to prove it is costly.
So it is easier to just tell parents to clean up a child's diet, Doctors have this problem with people of all ages.
Doctor bound to be wrong sometimes, when dealing with the other 10%.

I had posted this and a few more in the old place, but can't find that I have ever posted it here. I think I posted different recipes somewhere here as well, but that could be in the old place. We also have a thread, "Dealing with the heat." I may post this in there as well, because it fits there. I had found this post in a Yahoo group that is now defunct.

Rehydration formulas
I add one teaspoon Morton LiteSalt to one gallon water.
Here is why ...........
page 118 Let's Eat Right by Adelle Davis
Under normal circumstances, a healthy person runs little risk of deficiencies of sodium and chlorine. In extremely hot weather, however, so much salt can be lost through perspiration that death may occur.
Death from salt deficiency occurred during the construction of Boulder Dam and similar projects. During the blistering summer of 1933 I corresponded with an engineer who was working on Parker Dam. Each letter contained some such note as, "We had a wonderful cook but he died yesterday of sunstroke." The symptoms of sunstroke are now recognized as caused largely by loss of salt through perspiration.
A lack of salt causes symptoms varying in severity from mild lassitude, weariness, or hot-weather fatigue, common during heat waves, to heat cramp, heat exhaustion, and heatstroke, familiar to those who work in iron foundries, furnace or boiler rooms, and industrial plants such as steel or paper mills. Even persons who play tennis or take similar exercise during hot weather may suffer from heat stroke.
Persons working in extremely hot weather are often advised to take a salt tablet with each drink of water.
page 187 there are three nutrients - potassium, sodium and chlorine which we need in quite large amounts. Sodium and chlorine are supplied by tablet salt.

Morton LiteSalt 11 oz about 99c
1 oz = 6 teaspoons
11 oz = 66 teaspoons= 76,560 mg sodium, and 89,760 mg potassium

1 teaspoon
1160 mg sodium
1360 mg potassium
40% iodine

One gallon water 128 oz has 16 each 8 oz servings.......
8 oz water has 72mg sodium 85 mg K
8 oz Gatorade 110mg sodium 30 mg K
p273 "Let's eat right" by Adelle Davis "People who salt food lightly should add 3,000 mg sodium to a day's dietary, and those who enjoy well salted food 7,000 mg. Normally, the intake of potassium should be approximately the same as that of sodium, and calcium intake should be 2/3 that of phosphorus."

Gatorade per 8oz serving
total fat.....................0 grams
sodium .................110 mg
potassium................30 mg
total carb.................14 grams
sugars.....................14 grams
protein .....................0 grams
Anonymous said...
A good REHYDRATION FORMULA
•¼ tsp real salt
•¼ tsp no salt (potassium chloride)
•¼ tsp baking soda
•2 ½ tsp sugar
Unsweetened koolaid adds great flavor.

Cross posting this, because it is relevant.

Preparing rehydration packets

I have been thinking that since I have all of this, I should mix up packets of the powders, package the dry servings in small zip top bags, put the packages in another container, along with directions to keep in BOBs. It is easier to get it together now and to prepackage it, than to have to measure each one out in a tough situation.

I found No-Salt in the discount bin at the grocery store and bought all of them.

The WHO recommended formula is simple:

1/2 teaspoon salt
6 teaspoons sugar (6 teaspoons is 2 tablespoons)
1 quart or liter of clean drinking water
A good REHYDRATION FORMULA
•¼ tsp real salt
•¼ tsp no salt (potassium chloride)
•¼ tsp baking soda
•2 ½ tsp sugar
koolaid for flavor

Sports Drink (makes 2 quarts)
1 packet unsweetened Kool-Aid, any flavor
8 tablespoons sugar (or 10 packets sweetener)
3/8 teaspoons salt
1/8 teaspoon salt substitute (potassium chloride)
2 quarts water
Said to be close to Gatorade, but not as sweet. You can adjust the sweetness to taste.
^ This would be a good thing to make for groups to share.

Cross posting this, because it is relevant.

Preparing rehydration packets

I have been thinking that since I have all of this, I should mix up packets of the powders, package the dry servings in small zip top bags, put the packages in another container, along with directions to keep in BOBs. It is easier to get it together now and to prepackage it, than to have to measure each one out in a tough situation.

I found No-Salt in the discount bin at the grocery store and bought all of them.

koolaid for flavor

^ This would be a good thing to make for groups to share.
Thanks for sharing, DEFINATELY something to keep around!!

Preferably I'd be buried here on my land in the old ways. IE: a blanket or pine box. Barring that cremation will do. I've lived a good full life and done lots of interesting things. My biggest regret to date was listening to the doctors as long as I did.
F**k them, I was supposed to be in a wheelchair 20 years ago! Brother, you live as long as you damn well feel like! When it's time to go, you'll know.
Guess what? read all the side effects of those pills, you'd likely be dead already, I probably would.

BOT:

A teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate, commonly known as baking soda, diluted in one pint of water, can be used as a homemade remedy to prevent or soothe muscle cramps and soreness due to heavy physical activity.

Tired muscles release lactic acid in the blood by making it more acidic; baking soda, as an antacid buffer, counteracts this increased acidity and therefore reduces muscle painfulness and improves contraction.

I'd just add it to a powerade and chug on.

F**k them, I was supposed to be in a wheelchair 20 years ago! Brother, you live as long as you damn well feel like! When it's time to go, you'll know.
Guess what? read all the side effects of those pills, you'd likely be dead already, I probably would.

BOT:

A teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate, commonly known as baking soda, diluted in one pint of water, can be used as a homemade remedy to prevent or soothe muscle cramps and soreness due to heavy physical activity.

Tired muscles release lactic acid in the blood by making it more acidic; baking soda, as an antacid buffer, counteracts this increased acidity and therefore reduces muscle painfulness and improves contraction.

You can't just listen to doctors, I know that from experience! In short, almost lost my right arm back in 1995. Would not let it be amputated, was told it would be "a useless appendage"! NOT!! It's one HARD working, strong arm!!

BOT:

Exactly! The Kid was supposed to be a vegetable in a wheel chair and while she does have some health issues she is far from that. Don't give up and question everything!!

Just wanted to touch base here and say that as long as I keep my salt intake up I am virtually cramp free. Thirty odd years of living with crippling cramps everyday of my life to learn at age 50 all I needed to do was eat more salt...

Remember when salt, eggs and butter were supposedly bad for us?
Oh yes when in reality it's the sugar, preservatives, chemicals ETC... Kind of like smoking I will grant smoking isn't good for anyone. But I will also bet my life it's all the crap added to it that is really the killer!

I would drink water like crazy, work outside in the heat. Went and had a saliva test done and I had no salts in my body. Had to add Real salt to each glass of water I drank. It Worked. I dont add it anymore, but man did water taste awful for a while with out salt. Take your magnesium at night and use magnesium spray on your areas that cramp up. Remember to keep your magnesium to calcium ratio about the same.
adding baking soda to a small glass of water helps balance your ph, which helps us all tremendously

Back