Salt

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i have used Himalayan pink salt for many years. i think its best tasting salt ever for what ever reason. i noticed on french fries theres a clear difference in taste. i mentioned this to family and at first they scoffed at me. then they tasted it on french fries.sister started buying it and then my dad started eating it and admitted theres a difference in taste and he prefers it now.in this video it mentions the pinker colored salt has more magnesium in it. the person in vid says theres not enough to make a difference. well i am not so sure. i used the HP salt for probably 95% table use in the past year. i noticed something..i have always been plagued with tremendous leg and various muscle cramps. i noticed in last year i had least amount even during the heat of summer and during heavy activity.could be a coincidence but still it makes me wonder about it.our modern word salary comes from the word salt. as back in the day salt was so highly valuable and needed and hard to get it was used as money for daily pay.

Salt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt

All through history, the availability of salt has been pivotal to civilization. What is now thought to have been the first city in Europe is Solnitsata, in Bulgaria, which was a salt mine, providing the area now known as the Balkans with salt since 5400 BC.[6] Even the name Solnitsata means "salt works".

While people have used canning and artificial refrigeration to preserve food for the last hundred years or so, salt has been the best-known food preservative, especially for meat, for many thousands of years.[7] A very ancient salt-works operation has been discovered at the Poiana Slatinei archaeological site next to a salt spring in Lunca, Neamț County, Romania. Evidence indicates that Neolithic people of the Precucuteni Culture were boiling the salt-laden spring water through the process of briquetage to extract the salt as far back as 6050 BC.[8] The salt extracted from this operation may have had a direct correlation to the rapid growth of this society's population soon after its initial production began.[9] The harvest of salt from the surface of Xiechi Lake near Yuncheng in Shanxi, China, dates back to at least 6000 BC, making it one of the oldest verifiable saltworks.[10]

There is more salt in animal tissues, such as meat, blood, and milk, than in plant tissues.[11] Nomads who subsist on their flocks and herds do not eat salt with their food, but agriculturalists, feeding mainly on cereals and vegetable matter, need to supplement their diet with salt.[12] With the spread of civilization, salt became one of the world's main trading commodities. It was of high value to the ancient Hebrews, the Greeks, the Romans, the Byzantines, the Hittites and other peoples of antiquity. In the Middle East, salt was used to ceremonially seal an agreement, and the ancient Hebrews made a "covenant of salt" with God and sprinkled salt on their offerings to show their trust in him.[13][better source needed] An ancient practice in time of war was salting the earth: scattering salt around in a defeated city to prevent plant growth. The Bible tells the story of King Abimelech who was ordered by God to do this at Shechem,[14] and various texts claim that the Roman general Scipio Aemilianus Africanus ploughed over and sowed the city of Carthage with salt after it was defeated in the Third Punic War (146 BC).[15]

Covenant of salt

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Covenant_of_salt

The phrase covenant of salt appears twice in the Hebrew Bible:

In the Book of Numbers, God's covenant with the Aaronic priesthood is said to be a covenant of salt.[1] In the second book of Chronicles, God's covenant with the Davidic kings of Israel is also described as a covenant of salt.[2] According to the New Oxford Annotated Bible, "of salt" most likely means that the covenant is "a perpetual covenant, because of the use of salt as a preservative".[3]

The commandments regarding grain offerings in the Book of Leviticus state "every offering of your grain offering you shall season with salt; you shall not allow the salt of the covenant of your God to be lacking from your grain offering. With all your offerings you shall offer salt."[4]

I think salt is one of those things nobody thinks about, until it's in short supply.

I hate to think of eating my scrambled eggs without any salt...

or Tabasco or some type hot sauce !

We live outside of Salt City. The salt mine is about 5 miles down the road. Morton salt co is about 15 miles down the road. This is important since we don't live near salt water.
But this part of Kansas may have once been underwater. There is/was a salt mine outside of Williston, North Dakota. I knew a couple guys who worked there.

All salt dehydrates the cells of the body. If you look at the trace elements you will find there are more toxins in the colored and raw salt than in the processed salt. The important difference in salts is the grain size. The larger the grain the less salt there is in the dry measure. 1 tablespoon of kosher salt contains less weight than the fine grained standard table salt.
Pure salt is Sodium Chloride. Any other content is trace minerals that are removed from raw salt to make "table" salt.

There are lots of different salts, not all are fit for consumption. Potassium chloride is sold as Lite Salt. Potassium is necessary for proper heart function and potassium chloride causes less water retention. Anyone with a heart condition might consider a supply of this for the day the edema presents itself, probably in the feet first, or in the lungs.

All salt dehydrates the cells of the body. If you look at the trace elements you will find there are more toxins in the colored and raw salt than in the processed salt.
The HPS has electrolyes & dose not dry the cell as much as other salts, it is a fact that many old salts are less harmful then salt that are not aged.
No I do not have a link, the doctor has to earn his/her money too.

I think salt is probably the ultimate bottleneck to survival in my area. I stocks hundreds of pounds. I can make my own food, I can make my own energy, but I cannot make salt and when its gone its hundreds of miles to the nearest natural source. I've worried about it ever since I read "Alas Babylon." 30 years ago.

Pink salt however is just a gimmick. Edible "healing crystals" or magnetic copper bracelets, stuff for hippies. Oh well, harmless enough If that is how you want to spend your money.

We eat in the USA eat to much salt, the right herbs & spices will help flavor the food.
The problem is that black pepper & cinnamon are not from North America, there are pepper substitutes grow in N.A., ginger & turmeric root can be grown in a greenhouse.
So salt is important, but not as important that you could not live without it, man love affair with salt is out lined in the book "SALT". Salt biggist use after the fall would be meat process, but a smoke house could replace salt. One could kill small animals, only what a family could cook & eat, rabbits & birds.
hat being said one should have a hundred pounds of salt on stand by.

So salt is important, but not as important that you could not live without it,

I mostly agree. The kids Dr has her on a minimum of 10 g of salt per day to help keep her blood pressure up and I had an aunt who refused to eat salt in anything that almost died from dehydration because her body was so deficient that she wasn't retaining fluids and (according to her Dr's) her organs were drying out.

You do not need additional salts, you can get salt from farm rasied vegetables & meats.
For more than a hundred thousand years, humans roamed the Earth, foraging for plants and hunting whatever animals they could find.
Human cultivation of salt is ancient, and the earliest known salt harvesting is believed to have occurred at Lake Yuncheng, in the Chinese province of Shanxi around 6000 BC.

Back