Saving Seeds

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meerkat

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
i have one squash I grew and saved for the seeds,anyone know how to best save the seeds from it?

This says to let it completely grow to full size until it gets a hard shell, then cut it. Open it and clean the seeds, let them dry and store them for next year.
https://kaitsgarden.com/2018/08/05/seed-saving-how-to-save-squash-seeds/

I haven't saved those before.
I did save a bunch of onion chive seeds this year. I'm waiting on the flat leaf parsley seeds to turn brown so I can cut the seed heads off and store them. Same with the onions I let go to seed this year.

I've been waiting all summer for the kale to bolt and go to seed but it just keeps growing so I keep harvesting lol Same with the swiss chard.

I do have some pimento pepper seeds I saved a couple of years back. I should try to grow them next year.

I plan on buying more micro tomato seeds and then after that try to save the seeds form them. See how it turns out

i have one squash I grew and saved for the seeds, anyone know how to best save the seeds from it?
I would think saving squash seeds would be similar to saving seeds from any similar garden veggie such as cantaloupe or pumpkin. When I cut them open to use them, I scoop out the seeds and set them aside until I am done processing the fruit. Then I remove as much of the fibrous pulp from the seeds as possible. I lay the seeds out on paper towels and let them dry out. I put dried seeds in paper envelopes or small paper bags and label them, name as much as possible and date.

I would think saving squash seeds would be similar to saving seeds from any similar garden veggie such as cantaloupe or pumpkin. When I cut them open to use them, I scoop out the seeds and set them aside until I am done processing the fruit. Then I remove as much of the fibrous pulp from the seeds as possible. I lay the seeds out on paper towels and let them dry out. I put dried seeds in paper envelopes or small paper bags and label them, name as much as possible and date.

Thanks Weedy thats what I was thinking but not sure.

I managed to grow peppers from seeds I saved from a store-bought one, ditto for lentils and chickpea. Corn saves well too, and I'm going to try saving squash and tomato seeds this year. Apparently, I need to wait two years for kale, carrots, and onions to produce seeds. Does anyone know if this is true or not?

Onions and carrots is 2 years. Never grown Kale so can't speak to that.

One thing to watch for from store bought produce for seed. A lot of produce in stores are hybrid types. Seed saving will end up not good as the seed don't reproduce true to the fruit you bought. Heirloom seed always comes back true.

This says to let it completely grow to full size until it gets a hard shell, then cut it. Open it and clean the seeds, let them dry and store them for next year.
https://kaitsgarden.com/2018/08/05/seed-saving-how-to-save-squash-seeds/

I haven't saved those before.
I did save a bunch of onion chive seeds this year. I'm waiting on the flat leaf parsley seeds to turn brown so I can cut the seed heads off and store them. Same with the onions I let go to seed this year.

I've been waiting all summer for the kale to bolt and go to seed but it just keeps growing so I keep harvesting lol Same with the swiss chard.

I do have some pimento pepper seeds I saved a couple of years back. I should try to grow them next year.

I plan on buying more micro tomato seeds and then after that try to save the seeds form them. See how it turns out

I'm sorry VWDragonL,I just saw this post,something must have come up .

Onions and carrots is 2 years. Never grown Kale so can't speak to that.

One thing to watch for from store bought produce for seed. A lot of produce in stores are hybrid types. Seed saving will end up not good as the seed don't reproduce true to the fruit you bought. Heirloom seed always comes back true.

We try not to evr buy yhose but wo knows if they get mixed up when we buy plants.
We just don't feel like planting lately,just don't feel like it.

As a child, we grew 95% of our crops, but for some reason we did not grow pinto beans, but we bought the dry pinto beans. I ask my mother if I could grow them & she gave me a hand full, so most dry beans can be planted.
Greasy beans are over 100 years old, some of them so old, no one knows where they came from, only that they where pasted down though the family.
https://www.heirlooms.org/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

Store bought beans is where my great northerns came from. They be hybrids and not worth a crap. But I thought it was worth the effort to try them. Kidney beans came from an Amish store not far from us. I'd lay money those are Heirlooms.

Are there any plants y'all know of that can be left in the garden throughout winter so that they don't have to be replanted?
Potatoes.

I am going on about 5 years now. Just harvested the bi ones and leave the small ones burried below the frost line.

Egyptian walking onions.

Garlic Will regrow but Will be small if they are not spaced out.

Let some tomatoes fall to the ground and you will have dozens of plants that can be thinned or transplanted the next.

At that is what has worked for me in SW PA.

Ben

Has anyone ever had problems with even getting seeds from a hybrid to grow properly? I was given pumpkin and squash that I saved the seeds from but both last year and this one I've had very little luck. They sprout happily enough but then just give up. Yet pumpkins from seeds I purchased seemed very happy.

Has anyone ever had problems with even getting seeds from a hybrid to grow properly? I was given pumpkin and squash that I saved the seeds from but both last year and this one I've had very little luck. They sprout happily enough but then just give up. Yet pumpkins from seeds I purchased seemed very happy.
My attempt to grow red onions (red bull - hybrid) was a big failure. Many did not sprout. The ones that did were wimpy or were not red.

I bought a bunch of heirloom varieties of red onions but I failed to bag the flower heads to prevent cross pollination,who knows how they will turn out. I will try again but since they are bi-anuals I will not know how that goes until 3 years from now.

Heirloom radishes and dry beans have performed well.

Ben

Latest posts

Back