Scagel Handmade

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

randyt

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Picked up a book about William Scagel, father of the modern knifemaking industry. I believe Randall worked with him some.
Old Bill was quite a character, got in a wizzing contest with the local power company and after that made his own power. He ran his shop with a engine from a caddilac. He had a distrust of big guv, mass produced products. His politicks was along the same lines as Noah Rondeau adirondack hermit. Not big fans of FDR.

He made lots of things besides knives. I never knew that but he made copper ware, iron railings, leg braces for kids. He returned all favors no matter how small. He once made a knife with two different scales to return a favor. The scales were were different because he said a man of that political bent was two faced.

So far it's been a interesting read so far

Sylvan Hart is another interesting old coot. I have a few books about him. Laughter in the mountain, a river ran out of eden, (sad ending), Idaho Loners and a book called last of the mountainmen. That book was more about the history of Idaho With a little smattering about Sylvan.

Sylvan Hart is another interesting old coot. I have a few books about him. Laughter in the mountain, a river ran out of eden, (sad ending), Idaho Loners and a book called last of the mountainmen. That book was more about the history of Idaho With a little smattering about Sylvan.
Went to his place in July. Can only get there by boat or afoot. Kinda cool.

Latest posts

Back