Scams, hacking, etc.....

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VenomJockey

Ancient AH Pilot, Retired CWO W4.
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Good reading.....the latest report from the FBI on internet scams, hacking, etc...http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2018/05/11/fbi-details-top-internet-scams.html

Excerpt: "Some of the more recent complaints are about criminals posing as technical support representatives for income tax assistance, GPS, printer, cable companies, and support for virtual currency exchanges. The “fake refund” variation of tech support fraud is also increasing in reports and losses, the FBI said. The upshot is victims end up with compromised bank accounts or credit cards and often lose large sums of money. "

My elderly parents… both in their 80’s. They have flip phones, don’t text, phones are for emergencies. They never remember to turn them on :rolleyes:. Their accounts are only with a local institutions, no attachment with national institutions.

I can’t make them understand they are still wide open to international crime. All banks are connected. It doesn’t matter if it’s a small credit union, or bank, or Bank of America. All accounts are all at risk.

No matter how hard I try, I can’t seem to make them understand… If you don’t know who is calling… hang up the phone… Personally I prefer they add a few expletives…That isn’t happening either… :mad::mad::mad:

My thoughts on hacking and scams is everyone has already been compromised.
If you information has not been used it's just because they haven't gotten around to you yet.
With the number of people in the world the bad guys can't get everyone at once.
Give them time they will get to your name.
In the mean time do what you can to protect yourself from further compromise.

My elderly parents… both in their 80’s. They have flip phones, don’t text, phones are for emergencies. They never remember to turn them on :rolleyes:. Their accounts are only with a local institutions, no attachment with national institutions.

I can’t make them understand they are still wide open to international crime. All banks are connected. It doesn’t matter if it’s a small credit union, or bank, or Bank of America. All accounts are all at risk.

No matter how hard I try, I can’t seem to make them understand… If you don’t know who is calling… hang up the phone… Personally I prefer they add a few expletives…That isn’t happening either… :mad::mad::mad:
Can you periodically go through their phones and create contact information for scammers? I use 'DO NOT ANSWER" and "SCAMMER" and the like. It may help your parents. I think there was a time, long before caller ID and answering machines and services, when if the phone rang, you felt obligated to answer, much like someone knocking on the front door.

We have elderly people who need help in protecting them from scammers.

My phone rang, more than a month ago, and I did not answer because I didn't recognize the number. In a little while, my uncle called. He asked if I had missed a call. I told him I had a call that I did not answer because I didn't recognize the number. He had a new phone through his daughter, and it was the new number.

Can we be too careful?

Without hackers you wouldn't have open source software, security software or firewalls that work.
Hackers are dedicated software and hardware geeks that produce the best stuff in the world of computers.
Black hats are the ones who use their talents to cause chaos and damage in the computing world.
Don't condemn hackers for the damage done by black hats.

OMG so that's why you won't answer me. some lizard friend you turns out to be.
lol

My friends leave a message, caller ID did not report a call form "Snowman" , so you got bumpkins. Sorry about that,:( okay sorta sorry about that, ;)okay laughing my butt off and not sorry a bit. :D

My friends leave a message, caller ID did not report a call form "Snowman" , so you got bumpkins. Sorry about that,:( okay sorta sorry about that, ;)okay laughing my butt off and not sorry a bit. :D

leave a message? what's that? I still can not figure out how then send the paper through the phone lines when you send or receive a fax. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

:sarcasm:

leave a message? what's that? I still can not figure out how then send the paper through the phone lines when you send or receive a fax. :dunno::dunno::dunno:

:sarcasm:

From what I learned they fold it up real, real small and then compress it. The real trick / difficulty was taking all the wrinkles out of it. :ghostly:

Without hackers you wouldn't have open source software, security software or firewalls that work.
Hackers are dedicated software and hardware geeks that produce the best stuff in the world of computers.
Black hats are the ones who use their talents to cause chaos and damage in the computing world.
Don't condemn hackers for the damage done by black hats.

Thanks SheepDog. As a white hat hacker myself, I appreciate you representing.

I don't call myself a hacker but I do write a bit of software, mostly for myself. I like finding holes in my own security and then patch them.

I don't call myself a hacker but I do write a bit of software, mostly for myself. I like finding holes in my own security and then patch them.
You just impressed me beyond belief. Could I suggest starting another thread where our members could ask you questions on basic computer problems since it seems you know your stuff?

I don't know that I want to deal with that. I do my own stuff for my own enjoyment - if it became work it wouldn't be much fun.
I don't know anything about Macs and the best advice I can give about Microsoft is to stay clear of them. Use Linux or Unix based OS's and open source software. Microsoft collects everything you do and sells it to anyone who will pay for it. You get the operating system for free and then pay for it by using it. Turning off all the tattle-tails only works until the next automatic update. If I didn't have me morals it would be a great way to make money.
The hacking I do, aside from my own software is to reduce the risk of attack on my WiFi and Arris Router. There are places to go on the net to find vulnerabilities and patches for them. Any time you by a new device with WiFi or internet connection do a search to find out how to make it more secure.

Latest posts

Back