School Me On Tractors

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrackbottomLouis

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
I have found myself in need of a tractor. Not sure if it's in the budget yet but I would love to be educated.

Mainly I will need one to lift what I can't lift, dig what I don't want to dig by hand, brush hog what I don't want to clear, and some light tilling. Forks, front loader, bush hog, and backhoe a must. Any other implements you have found to be indispensable?

I will only be utilizing a couple acres so more in the 24hp range (I think????). Diesel is my preference. I will need 4wd as I have hills and soft ground where rescue would be difficult at best. Would prefer gear to hydrostatic unless experts declare that the loss of hp is negligible enough to not be a worry.

Budget is not going to allow new but scared of a money pit because a mechanic I am not.

What say the community?

Kubota and John Deere I know have tractors that fit all your needs. Kioti and Mahindra most likely do as well. I'm just have zero experien with them. I have found hydro static has been a time saver to me. But I use mine to mow the lawn too. I have a BX1860. 18hp and around 10 years old. No problems out of it so far and have around 500 hours on it. They made a 2360 and a 2660, 23 and 26hp models. I didnt get it when I purchased but I wish I had gotten a front end loader.

A grade blade might be useful as well as what you mentioned

Kubota and John Deere I know have tractors that fit all your needs. Kioti and Mahindra most likely do as well. I'm just have zero experien with them. I have found hydro static has been a time saver to me. But I use mine to mow the lawn too. I have a BX1860. 18hp and around 10 years old. No problems out of it so far and have around 500 hours on it. They made a 2360 and a 2660, 23 and 26hp models. I didnt get it when I purchased but I wish I had gotten a front end loader.

A grade blade might be useful as well as what you mentioned

Grade blade is a great suggestion. The only new ones I've been looking at are the Bransons. A local friend has one and it has worked well for him. I also have 2 large branson dealerships close to me for aftermarket support. I'd love a deer or kubota but that branson comes brand new with loader and backhoe at 17k. As even that's out of budget I'm looking used where kubota and deer would be more likely options.

I am in about the same boat as you. I have been looking at used yanmars. They made or make the engines for Kubota and John Deere and are about half the price. They usually have 500 to 800 hrs on them. I hear the model 2010 is about bullet proof. Lots of good info here Hoye Tractor Parts -Yanmar Research Center

I am in about the same boat as you. I have been looking at used yanmars. They made or make the engines for Kubota and John Deere and are about half the price. They usually have 500 to 800 hrs on them. I hear the model 2010 is about bullet proof. Lots of good info here Hoye Tractor Parts -Yanmar Research Center

I've been looking at them too. They have a corporate office not far from me and a friend works for them. They are all hydrostatic but look like a good option but pricier than the bransons.

I don't know rural king or IIRC.
Rural King sells their own brand of tractor now, made by the same company that makes every other small tractor (the one in South Korea). I like my RK-24 quite a bit. It's much cheaper than the Kubotaswith a superior warranty, but the hydraulics aren't quite as good. There aren't really any "used" RKs out there because they're sk new, but some folks bought them on a payment plan and then get them repossessed. Prices are up on their website, so it's clear up front and you don't have to haggle with dealers.

IIRC is "if I recall correctly"...not a brand of tractor 😋

Have had good luck with Kabota’s over the years. Still have two older ones up and running in the family. We definitely put them to work.
Our folks have a little Branson that we’ve been very happy with.
Avoid LS at all costs. Have one and will NEVER recommend them. Would sell it in a heart beat if I could.
John Deere your paying a lot more for the name and I don’t like what they’ve been doing with their parts and service stuff. Basically trying to stop any non John Deere tech from working on them. Neighbor has one and always asks for our help because it just can’t hack it. He’s a John Deere groupie so we needle him quite often.
buying ANY tractor used can be a gamble. Just choose wisely and don’t rush into the purchase. If used have a local tractor guy look at it and give you advice. We've had to tear tractors in half before and it’s NO FUN and If you have to pay to have it done it’s expensive.

Have had good luck with Kabota’s over the years. Still have two older ones up and running in the family. We definitely put them to work.
Our folks have a little Branson that we’ve been very happy with.
Avoid LS at all costs. Have one and will NEVER recommend them. Would sell it in a heart beat if I could.
John Deere your paying a lot more for the name and I don’t like what they’ve been doing with their parts and service stuff. Basically trying to stop any non John Deere tech from working on them. Neighbor has one and always asks for our help because it just can’t hack it. He’s a John Deere groupie so we needle him quite often.
buying ANY tractor used can be a gamble. Just choose wisely and don’t rush into the purchase. If used have a local tractor guy look at it and give you advice. We've had to tear tractors in half before and it’s NO FUN and If you have to pay to have it done it’s expensive.

Yeah, I'm afraid of the used tractor game but my budget is squarely in the used camp. I'm trying to work out if it would be cheaper to just pay someone to do the upfront work that requires a tractor than buying a tractor. I don't finance stuff but if a tractor payment is at or less than a daily rental rate and I believe I will use the tractor 12 days out of the year then it makes sense. My fear is I will use it a lot within the first year and then it will sit most of the time after I get all my initial set up projects done. It's not like I have a commercial farm. At the same time it would be cool to have a tractor. And I could tool around the property blaring "she thinks my tractors sexy" to thoroughly embarrass my wife. There is always the possibility of getting odd work with the machine as well. When the economic pain I see coming comes around then a lot of people will all of a sudden have home projects that will make them more self sufficient. Basic gardening and small scale clearing. Moving cut trees. Spreading soil, gravel etc.

I know right now Kubota and John Deere are both selling for zero interest. I agree with Double R about the JD's. I don't know if the deal with them being dealers only for repairs hold true with smaller tractors. But I know for a fact it is with their big to huge tractors. SO much electronic controls in them.

I'd bet you'll find uses for the tractor you never thought about as time goes forward, and no you may not use it as much every year, but there will still be task that nothing else will work. Labor savings on you as well. Something to consider as you get older. That's why I wish I had got the front end loader.

Having dealers right down the road goes a looong way no matter the brand. The last thing they want to see on the way to work is one of their tractors in someone's yard beside a large sign that says "Don't Buy This Junk!"

I don't have new equipment so can't help you there... Our ford is coming up on 50 years and still runs good. The Massy is 20yrs old and still running good.

Front end loader, got to have one. They are indispensable, especially if you know how to use a chain or don't mind trimming trees or doing roof work from a bucket. It's only limited by your imagination.

If I buy another tractor it'll have 4 wheel drive, my only regret about my two.

Good Luck, keep us posted on what you decide.

Only advice I can give is, buy bigger than you think you'll need. I grew up on a farm and still occasionally use tractors, and I can say with pretty good confidence, if you buy a 24hp you'll wish you had more. It's expensive to buy bigger but you won't regret it unless you intend to mow your yard with it. I personally wouldn't go under 50 horse and bigger is better. The loader on a tiny tractor is more or less useless and you need a tractor with weight on it to pull heavy implements or dig holes.

Used farm tractors can be had fairly cheap sometimes. You may need repairs of course. But what does a 30 hp tractor cost new? You can get a pretty nice older tractor like an IH 886 or Oliver 1650 for less than 10k and put some maintenance into it for 15k and still be less than a quality new tractor...

Only advice I can give is, buy bigger than you think you'll need. I grew up on a farm and still occasionally use tractors, and I can say with pretty good confidence, if you buy a 24hp you'll wish you had more. It's expensive to buy bigger but you won't regret it unless you intend to mow your yard with it. I personally wouldn't go under 50 horse and bigger is better. The loader on a tiny tractor is more or less useless and you need a tractor with weight on it to pull heavy implements or dig holes.

Used farm tractors can be had fairly cheap sometimes. You may need repairs of course. But what does a 30 hp tractor cost new? You can get a pretty nice older tractor like an IH 886 or Oliver 1650 for less than 10k and put some maintenance into it for 15k and still be less than a quality new tractor...

My farm work experience did not include machinery unfortunately. Several years in a third world country farming tobacco. They didnt even let farm machinery into the country because it took too many jobs from the "masses". Nervous about repairs. Mechanic is not in my skill set. I dont want to spend 5 days on youtube everytime I need to get a project done :)

My farm work experience did not include machinery unfortunately. Several years in a third world country farming tobacco. They didnt even let farm machinery into the country because it took too many jobs from the "masses". Nervous about repairs. Mechanic is not in my skill set. I dont want to spend 5 days on youtube everytime I need to get a project done :)
If you can get a used tractor checked over, and find out what shape the motor, transmission, rear end, and hydraulics are in, it will help you. Drivetrain repairs are very expensive, you do not want to have to rebuild a diesel engine. But other repairs like getting a loose front end fixed are not quite so bad.

I'm not sure how cold your winter's are, but you may want to think about a cab. Once again, it's an added expense but if you've got to push snow it's well worth it...

I have a JD 770 which is about 25 years old. Probably in the size and in your budget for what you're looking for.
4WD is definitely a must in these size tractors.
FEL (front-end loader) is the go-to attachment. I use it more than anything else.
The engine is Yanmar and is bulletproof. Actually, the whole tractor is. In 25 years, it has never been to the shop or required repairs.
It is gear instead of hydro. Both have their advantages but gear is a lot slower when you need variable speeds or a lot of forward then reverse.

Some thoughts about other things mentioned in the thread.
Backhoes - Very handy but A) They're a PITA to take off when you want to use a different implement. B) Once you get through your first year of chores, you'll find it rarely used. A lot of $ for it to sit on the sidelines for years and years. Myself, I have the benefit of using friends/neighbors but even if I didn't have that avenue, I'd probably rent as opposed to own and deal with the 2 issues I mentioned.

Kioti - Very solid tractors but heavier than their Deere or Kubota counterparts. Weight is an issue for the bad if you're in muddy conditions or driving over your yard. Their loaders and backhoes are not particularly great. Every Kioti I've driven I've seen cracks and broken welds on the loader and backhoe.

Ford/New Holland - There's been a single mention of Ford but don't discount Ford or New Holland (who bought Ford). They're considered one of the 3 top-tier tractors (along with Deere and Kubota).

Cabs - Can be a blessing or a problem. If you're in woody conditions, you're much more limited on where you can go due to height, limbs and breaking windows. They're awesome in extreme weather assuming it has A/C and heat.

Usage over time - Yes, that'll happen. You'll use it less and less as you complete projects. After 25 years, mine does very few chores. Mainly logging/felling trees, snow removal, loader work, grading & garden prep.

Implements - As mentioned by all, the FEL is your best friend.
Others that are worthwhile:
Box blade
Flat/scraper blade

Rarely used but handy.
Post hole digger
Logging winch if you're doing a lot of wood
Rototiller
Forks
Logging winch
Subsoiler
Plow

What makes you say this? Are you thinking I should wait for a more opportune time in the near future?

Ag was already taking a beating before this virus. This shutdown isn’t going to be beneficial that’s for sure. I would bet we’ll be seeing a lot of stuff headed back on the market.
The livestock market is in the gutter at this point. Was already not great and now its really bad and getting worse. Us smaller operations will be hit the hardest and those that relied on a city job to make up the difference most likely aren’t working now. Most smaller operations I know rely on a city job to keep their ranch a float these days.
Could be wrong but I will for sure be watching closely.

To follow up on what Spikedriver wrote about and I agree with… 1) If you are getting a tractor, power, power and more power. You won’t regret power.

2) Compare this to buying a handgun. You have X amount of dollars… You can get the latest 9mm compact with all the bells or whistles or a used .357 with a boat load of cash left over for extra ammo.

3) Older equipment has several advantages… one being just about anyone can work on it. You don’t need an IT degree or a diploma from Lincoln Tech, just a good set of tools. As a general rule the older the equipment the easier it is work on. Just be sure to get a name brand with parts still available.

4) There is a lot of old tractors out there that have been completely restored or at the least completely rebuilt.

5) Why only one tractor? You can pick up a completely restored Farmall Cub with garden and lawn attachments for around $4K. It would take care of all your basic garden and lawn work. For another $8k you can get something rebuilt in the 50-horsepower range w/loader and a couple more basic attachments. It would take care of all road maintenance, firewood, tree removal… all the big stuff.

I’d say don’t fall into the trap of finding just one machine to do everything you need… you might end up with something that does a dozen different things but does all of them poorly. Just a thought…

I also agree with Double R… A little cash could pick up some real bargains later this year.

Ag was already taking a beating before this virus. This shutdown isn’t going to be beneficial that’s for sure. I would bet we’ll be seeing a lot of stuff headed back on the market.
The livestock market is in the gutter at this point. Was already not great and now its really bad and getting worse. Us smaller operations will be hit the hardest and those that relied on a city job to make up the difference most likely aren’t working now. Most smaller operations I know rely on a city job to keep their ranch a float these days.
Could be wrong but I will for sure be watching closely.

If you wouldnt mind keeping me in the loop as you watch the situation develop I sure would appreciate it. I'll certainly keep an eye out myself but will gladly accept any perspective you have to offer on the market for farm equipment. Also, if I find something of interest and do my due diligence with my local resources would you mind if I run it by you as well just for general double check?

To follow up on what Spikedriver wrote about and I agree with… 1) If you are getting a tractor, power, power and more power. You won’t regret power.

2) Compare this to buying a handgun. You have X amount of dollars… You can get the latest 9mm compact with all the bells or whistles or a used .357 with a boat load of cash left over for extra ammo.

3) Older equipment has several advantages… one being just about anyone can work on it. You don’t need an IT degree or a diploma from Lincoln Tech, just a good set of tools. As a general rule the older the equipment the easier it is work on. Just be sure to get a name brand with parts still available.

4) There is a lot of old tractors out there that have been completely restored or at the least completely rebuilt.

5) Why only one tractor? You can pick up a completely restored Farmall Cub with garden and lawn attachments for around $4K. It would take care of all your basic garden and lawn work. For another $8k you can get something rebuilt in the 50-horsepower range w/loader and a couple more basic attachments. It would take care of all road maintenance, firewood, tree removal… all the big stuff.

I’d say don’t fall into the trap of finding just one machine to do everything you need… you might end up with something that does a dozen different things but does all of them poorly. Just a thought…

I also agree with Double R… A little cash could pick up some real bargains later this year.

Good advice. I really only need one for the big stuff. Don't have much lawn care needs a tractor would help with. And getting my wife to let me get one is hard enough!

If you wouldnt mind keeping me in the loop as you watch the situation develop I sure would appreciate it. I'll certainly keep an eye out myself but will gladly accept any perspective you have to offer on the market for farm equipment. Also, if I find something of interest and do my due diligence with my local resources would you mind if I run it by you as well just for general double check?

No problem.
As far as your wife she doesn’t know how much she will appreciate a tractor until you have it. She will be happy with the things you’ll be able to do with it. I don’t know how we made it so long without a bucket tractor. Ha! Ha! Now I couldn’t live without them.

No problem.
As far as your wife she doesn’t know how much she will appreciate a tractor until you have it. She will be happy with the things you’ll be able to do with it. I don’t know how we made it so long without a bucket tractor. Ha! Ha! Now I couldn’t live without them.
Trade "bucket tractor" with "ATV" in this statement and the exact same will be true. Add a trailer to an ATV and it's a serious force multiplier for chores.

Latest posts

Back