School Me On Tractors

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As soon as I got to Idaho two years ago, I began to lust in my heart for a 25-hp Kubota wih th 3-cyl Yanmar diesel engine, hydrostatic clutch (4 WD of course) and a front loader and backhoe plus maybe a box grader and a 6-inch augur ... WAIT A MINUTE! I have less than two acres! I can barely justify a rear-tine tiller and a brush hog to clear out the ditch.

Fact is, my neighbor has a good size 50-hp New Holland that he is happy to share with me, and I can rent a good-size tiller and brush-hog for those typical once- or twice-a-year jobs.

It's just not cost-effective for me, but if I ever win the lottery, I'm on my way to the Kubota store!! Meanwhile, I'm making do with a Husqvarna 46-in riding mower and a trailer.

As soon as I got to Idaho two years ago, I began to lust in my heart for a 25-hp Kubota wih th 3-cyl Yanmar diesel engine, hydrostatic clutch (4 WD of course) and a front loader and backhoe plus maybe a box grader and a 6-inch augur ... WAIT A MINUTE! I have less than two acres! I can barely justify a rear-tine tiller and a brush hog to clear out the ditch.

Fact is, my neighbor has a good size 50-hp New Holland that he is happy to share with me, and I can rent a good-size tiller and brush-hog for those typical once- or twice-a-year jobs.

It's just not cost-effective for me, but if I ever win the lottery, I'm on my way to the Kubota store!! Meanwhile, I'm making do with a Husqvarna 46-in riding mower and a trailer.
Hi Duncan.
If I were a young man (under 60) I would try hard to move to Idaho. To live on a few acres of arable land, so I could own a Kubota. And be relatively free; as close to the 'free' that Ben Franklin and his compatriots had in mind as is available in this benighted era.

Well, if I were under 60, I might feel strong enough to stay in Vermont (the land of my ancestors) and fight for truth, justice, and the Constitutions (Vermont's and the nation's).

[You can see why this isn't a 'greetings to the new member' post. Those should be cheerful. I usually am cheerful; maybe next week.]
drink buddy

Brother Hillman, I can understand. When I moved to Idaho in 2018, I was a hard-charging young pup of 73. I didn't know a two-string bale of alfalfa or a bag of layer pellets weighed quite so much after the third trip to the barn.
Duncan

Oh yeah, every bale is a little heavier. When I was a younker, I spent part of my summer vacations on Uncle Earl's farm, some days getting in the hay. He rented a baler that made round bales, ~70 pounds. He drove the team, cousin Lyle stacked the wagon, I passed them up to him. After you get in the swing of it, no big deal - if you're a healthy teenager. Uncle Earl was a great guy, but sometimes he let me get "experience". One time it was "taking away" loose hay, up in the loft. I wasn't smart enough to tie a kerchief over my nose and mouth. Yep, that was an experience.

73, eh? By the time I was 73 I had been working 'soft' jobs too long. Glad you 'grew into your work'.
:thumbs:

I am buying a Kubota L4701, 47 horsepower tractor, credit went though, I was worried that the word retired would stop it.
I got a front loader,Backhoe, boxblade, rotary tiller, rear rotary cutter, will get a pallet fork later.
I thought DW wife would hit the celling, but all she said was "you got a bush hog to cut my land."
However I have not got the tractor yet, the Backhoe is on back order for 6 weeks, because of C-19.
If that the worse thing C19 does to my Family, I am a blissed man!
I think the Backhoe will be best to remove the 24" stumps & dig the greenhouse, but the green house is down the road.

I am buying a Kubota L4701, 47 horsepower tractor, credit went though, I was worried that the word retired would stop it.
I got a front loader,Backhoe, boxblade, rotary tiller, rear rotary cutter, will get a pallet fork later.
I thought DW wife would hit the celling, but all she said was "you got a bush hog to cut my land."
However I have not got the tractor yet, the Backhoe is on back order for 6 weeks, because of C-19.
If that the worse thing C19 does to my Family, I am a blissed man!
I think the Backhoe will be best to remove the 24" stumps & dig the greenhouse, but the green house is down the road.
You have a vision, and a plan. Those are desirable things to have, and reading of them calls up memories of a Best Friend who had those things. He was diagnosed with a non-Hodgkins lymphoma, a kind for which there was no cure, and told he had no more than 5 more years. That knowledge didn't take him down; he just seemed to have more expensive visions, requiring things like a Kubota tractor and one of those sawmills-on-wheels, purchased with longterm loans.

We are in the process of cleaning up our 5th wheel that we were living in before finishing the house. We paid cash for that. I think we can get 7 or 8 k for it and pay cash for the tractor. I have really been looking at the Yanmars they only have 2 or 400 hours on most of them around here. I have done some research about which models are best and have good parts availability.

When I was treated for Afib, the doctor thought I may have a non-Hodgkins lymphoma & it took two weeks for the test to return.
I did not have a non-Hodgkins lymphoma , I have sarcodsis. Sarcodsis surpress the immune system, so I took steroids to surpress the sarcodsis. Doctor say it it should stay surpressed without steroids. I want a sawmill, but can not justify the cost for only 20 or so timber trees.

When I was treated for Afib, the doctor thought I may have a non-Hodgkins lymphoma & it took two weeks for the test to return.
I did not have a non-Hodgkins lymphoma , I have sarcodsis. Sarcodsis surpress the immune system, so I took steroids to surpress the sarcodsis. Doctor say it it should stay surpressed without steroids. I want a sawmill, but can not justify the cost for only 20 or so timber trees.
My friend had plans to do sawmill jobs 'onsite' for people. Turned out he didn't have enough time left for that to happen, but he thought it was possible.

Latest posts

Back