Searching for homestead community in or near Texas

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you, Spikedriver. I've decided after much trying that I'd better stay in Texas closer to family. I have tried to garden in the rocky caliche hill country west of Austin and it was brutal so trying now to find something east of Austin where most of the farms are. I don't look forward to the summers but I have to be practical at my age. Thanks for your advice.

We used raised beds out in that area. We used hardware cloth under the beds to keep the rock from migrating up into the beds.

@cdjack I posted a bit more about Sam and his book here...

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/snake-bite.10580/
I put something in the library also.

Ahh... Central Tennessee, better have a big wallet if you're looking at anything within an hour of Nashville. Its a very pricey part of the southeast. A little further away and prices get more reasonable.

It's crazy, isn't it?!!

We are on the "eastern side of central Tennessee", on the Cumberland Plateau, between Knoxville and Nashville, not much out here. We like it quite a lot right here. I will say this, though, it can be VERY challenging to find decent land for sale. The stuff you likely want isn't for sale. And the stuff that's for sale, you probably either don't want, or it's got a "sucker price" on it (asking way more than it's worth, waiting for a sucker that doesn't know better with more money than brains.)

We beat our head against the wall, so to speak, for a couple of years. Ended up buying 3.5 acres, not ideal at all, but with EXCELLENT neighbors all around us. It's working for now but is still challenging as we really wanted more land.

One thing all the craziness has done is raise the value of our property. And we'd consider selling if we had someplace to go. That's just it, we don't have any place to go that we wanna go that we want more than what we already have. Son wants us to move to AZ, that would require a lottery win. My family would love for me to move to PA where I grew up, the taxes would kill us. And so we're making the best of what we have here in TN, and it's not so bad. From what others tell me, the craziness elsewhere is tons worse.

I am late to the welcome party, but wanted to say that I am another resident wildcrafter/herbalist!

I think you will enjoy Peanut's many contributions to the forum. Photographs and practical information galore!

Looking forward to reading your posts!

Thank you, Grizzleyette. I can’t wait to find some land and start gardening again. I’ve found a central Texas sub-group of the freedom cells group and reached out to find a good community so hopefully it won’t be long till I find something to buy.

Latest posts

Back