Seasonal Bargains and Deals

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We no longer have a local newspaper and I'm not of fakebook, so the only way I can find garage sales is on craigslist. It seems most people don't post on CL.:( Otherwise, it's just by chance that I find garage sales which isn't often b/c I don't travel very much. I too have found some really good deals at garage sales and even some at thrift stores.

First I'll say that I LOVE this topic. I'm surprised that more people don't post & follow posts like this to save money. Now I'll go a "little" off topic because we are talking deals. Some of the best "deals" (& the most money saved) have been from garage sales, estate sales, auctions & online auctions. You can literally turn your knowledge into cash or in our case, a much larger collection of crystal. It just takes some knowledge in an area & the time to look. I'll give a few examples of our savings: A fairly rare vase at a garage sale, cost $2.50 & sold on Ebay for $800 (in 30 minutes). A crystal Xmas ornament, paid 50 cents, worth about $200. Ten Swarovski birds auction, paid $565 now selling for between $115 to $150 each. And our biggest, a giant Swarovski chaton on auction. It kind of had a minor error in the listing (size was reversed) & we paid $360 while there was one on Ebay listed at $14,999 (really worth 3 to 5 thousand but they are hard to find).
Agreed. I love sales, but try to stay away as I need to liquidate what I have. On Friday I did go to a rummage sale. The jewelry table was mobbed, so I went back when the coast was clear. Picked up 3 older pieces, including a cross. 24k gold, vintage Italy. I may have missed other goodies, but am happy with what I got. I believe that most look for blingy stuff, probably obvious good stuff, but don’t look twice at Grandma stuff. Grandma probably didn’t have a ton of stuff, but what she had was probably good. The cross could be worth $1,000.

We no longer have a local newspaper and I'm not of fakebook, so the only way I can find garage sales is on craigslist. It seems most people don't post on CL.:( Otherwise, it's just by chance that I find garage sales which isn't often b/c I don't travel very much. I too have found some really good deals at garage sales and even some at thrift stores.
Do you have EstateSales.net in your area? I have the app, shows estate and garage sales, the sellers can post pictures!

Not necessarily a seasonal thing, but storage unit auctions are another possibility for bargains. I was surprised that my Mennonite neighbors were into them. They look for stuff to buy and resell. Not as surprised to find out another enterprising person in town does them. He shared last week about one unit from Rochester, NY, I believe that he recently got that was full of boxes of coins, silver. He has made this venture into like a full time job. Bought a prime piece of real estate which acts as a sorting/storage facility. Quick flips to the pawn shop. Very profitable, he says. He is already well to do. This enterprise employs others.

Agreed. I love sales, but try to stay away as I need to liquidate what I have. On Friday I did go to a rummage sale. The jewelry table was mobbed, so I went back when the coast was clear. Picked up 3 older pieces, including a cross. 24k gold, vintage Italy. I may have missed other goodies, but am happy with what I got. I believe that most look for blingy stuff, probably obvious good stuff, but don’t look twice at Grandma stuff. Grandma probably didn’t have a ton of stuff, but what she had was probably good. The cross could be worth $1,000.
A few years ago my wife went to an estate sale & the lady was into making jewelry, so is my wife. Well my wife was the only one there looking at the jewelry making stuff & she noticed that the lady had expensive taste. A lot of her "findings" (connecting pieces) were gold. So she scooped up all of them & then bought a few more things. The next Monday she sold the findings to a local gold buyer. The end result was that she made $25 dollars more than what she spent at the estate sale.

Latest posts

Back