seed sale,open pollinated/heirloom type breeding and more

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkhound

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
just a heads up for this weekend only..nature and nurture seeds has a sale on selected items only of buy 3 get 1 free. they have a few interesting items in this sale along with regular items offered outside this sale as well.

sale list

https://natureandnurtureseeds.com/collections/2021-sale

awhile back i made a post about all the breeding going on from college level to citizen scientist to home gardeners. heres an example of breeders taking a hybrid plant and breeding it out to a stablized cultivar. this one they worked on for a very long time. some only take a short period others longer. but heres an onion heirloom created from the hybrid copra storage onion.

Clear Dawn Onion
https://natureandnurtureseeds.com/collections/2021-sale/products/clear-dawn

105 days. For many years we grew and depended on Copra hybrid as a reliable storage onion … then we found Clear Dawn! It is the result of 36 years of breeding work by a group of Biodynamic market gardeners who dehybridized Copra to get open-pollinated Clear Dawn. Similar to Copra, it is a medium-sized yellow onion that will store up to 7 months. Like all storage onions, it is very spicy raw but becomes sweet and heavenly when browned. Perfect for winter soups or just roasted with a little oil in the oven. Long-day type is suitable for northern growing (37° latitude and north). If you haven’t grown onions before, check out the “Growing” instructions tab on our website. MH

Mega Marconi Tall Sweet Pepper

https://natureandnurtureseeds.com/collections/2021-sale/products/mega-marconi-tall
95 days. This gigantic sweet pepper is a show stopper! Italian-type sweet peppers are 6-8 inches long, 3 inches wide and are blocky shaped with a blunt tip. Fruits have thick walls that ripen to red with a sweet, almost smoky taste. Great raw or cooked – grilling or roasting enhances their incredible flavor. Productive and easy to grow, they are a winner in the garden. In fertile soil, plants can reach a height of 3 feet and have as many as 15 peppers! Can be harvested green, but we prefer to wait until they are red when their full flavor develops. Peppers store for 2 weeks at room temperature and a month in the fridge. They will ripen off the vine in storage. Our original seeds were given to us by organic farmer, breeder, and pepper expert Doug Jones of Piedmont Biofarm in North Carolina. Doug began to dehybridize the Hybrid Italian Giant Marconi pepper, selecting for vigor and large fruit size. In its 5th year, we have continued his project and are making this fabulous pepper available to you! Since this project is still in progress, there is still some size and shape variability in the plants. (aka Mega Marconi) NN

here is a local landrace of pepper from higher elevation. this pepper was selected on harsh conditions.i bet this is a very hardy pepper for sure.

Cañoncito Field 7 Landrace Hot Pepper

https://natureandnurtureseeds.com/collections/2021-sale/products/canoncito
65 days. An unusually vigorous plant with very fast germination, growth, and flower set. It produces 3-6” long green-to-red hot peppers with thin skins and a variety of shapes, flavors and heat ranging from mild to medium. Good for drying, roasting and general kitchen use. This is a landrace from high-altitude, northern New Mexico, where it has been direct-sown in the same field for 100 years, adapting to the cool nights and short season climate. Its earliness and vigor make it a great choice for northern growers. Given to us by Loretta Sandoval, who continues to do important work to preserve this and other traditional New Mexican landraces, which are under threat of extinction due to the proliferation of hybrid varieties. MSU

set yourself free... be it old traditional heirloom/open pollinated seed or from newer heirloom/open pollinated seed...then start collecting your own seed thats acclimated to your gardens and fields.

I just placed an order with them. Found Parsnips and sweet peppers I haven't tried before. Got some sunflowers for free. Buy 3 get 1 free. Not a bad deal.

bump this thread....as a reminder it ends tonight

2021 Sale

Buy 3 get 1 FREE!
* Sale runs Saturday - Sunday, May 15 12:30am - May 16 11:59pm. Buy any 3 of these seed varieties (packet size only) and get your 4th packet free.

One more bump before its over.

I have old & new seeds from three or four companies. I like to try new things, because we have been hybridizing for over three hundred years, there are no pure seed in the seed market & the new seed may be next silver bullet. If it is a tasteless dude, then I will not use it again or if the seeds are not true, some are true. The last seeds I bought where Hoss seeds for the first time will find out if they are good this year.

Back