Seed starting lights - a million seedlings!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cait

New Friend
Neighbor
Sooooo I just started some seeds and it looks like I'll be starting around 60 different varieties of plants this year which means hundreds and hundreds of seedlings 🙈

Can I just put a bunch of seedling pots onto a big tray/Rubbermaid and then set them outside everyday to get light and then bring them in at night for warmth? Obviously I wouldn't scotch the babies in direct sun.

I've only ever grown seedlings with grow lights before but need a different solution for this year.

Welcome, Cait!
I think that is a great idea. I have been considering that myself. I think that what is really important is that it is warm enough outdoors when your seedlings are out there. I have my seedlings on trays, but I have considered using clear bins that are deep enough that I could put the lid on and it would be a mini greenhouse.

Do you grow any peppers? Do you have heat mats for under them to help them sprout and grow? I'm doing that for the first time this year. I've always purchased pepper seedlings in the past, but wanted to learn about growing peppers.

Welcome, Cait!
I think that is a great idea. I have been considering that myself. I think that what is really important is that it is warm enough outdoors when your seedlings are out there. I have my seedlings on trays, but I have considered using clear bins that are deep enough that I could put the lid on and it would be a mini greenhouse.

Do you grow any peppers? Do you have heat mats for under them to help them sprout and grow? I'm doing that for the first time this year. I've always purchased pepper seedlings in the past, but wanted to learn about growing peppers.
Thanks! I like your mini greenhouse idea. My only concern with the clear bins would be that when the seedlings are inside they may stretch towards the light from lightbulbs/a window. I'm planning to use opaque tote bins (because we have a bunch laying around) and when the seedlings are inside for the night I'll put the lid on to make it dark so that they hopefully don't get leggy.

I have grown peppers with success and I don't use heat mats. I just sow many more seeds than I actually want so that if germination is low I still have enough. I'd rather sow a lot of seeds and pick the few strongest plants anyway :)

Sooooo I just started some seeds and it looks like I'll be starting around 60 different varieties of plants this year which means hundreds and hundreds of seedlings 🙈

Can I just put a bunch of seedling pots onto a big tray/Rubbermaid and then set them outside everyday to get light and then bring them in at night for warmth? Obviously I wouldn't scotch the babies in direct sun.

I've only ever grown seedlings with grow lights before but need a different solution for this year.
I can see a big difference in my seedlings with my 5000 lumen shop lights and the grow lights. Plants that are not under the lights do not do as well. They are weak and leggy. They mostly do not make it, even out in the sun during the day.

Latest posts

Back