Seed storing

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello folks- can I use plastic vitamin containers to store seeds, or will they sweat do you think? thank you
I've done this!! I wrap the seeds in a paper towel and stick them in a clean empty vitamin bottle. Sometimes they go in the freezer, if they won't be used until the next year. Sometimes they go on a shelf in my utility room if I'm saving them for a fall planting.

I've done this!! I wrap the seeds in a paper towel and stick them in a clean empty vitamin bottle. Sometimes they go in the freezer, if they won't be used until the next year. Sometimes they go on a shelf in my utility room if I'm saving them for a fall planting.
I never thought of the freezer- thank you for that. I keep in envelopes in an old sandwich-type box under the stairs normally, it's just I have a few of those vitamin bottles saved.

I put a great book in the library, covers over 322 species of seeds.

And yes concerning stratification, some seeds need to be frozen (winter conditions) before germinating properly.

The freezing point of many seeds is lower than that of water, around 22*F.

Anyway, this book covers all the basics and even some technical techniques.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/the-complete-guide-to-saving-seeds.1357/

I put a great book in the library, covers over 322 species of seeds.

And yes concerning stratification, some seeds need to be frozen (winter conditions) before germinating properly.

The freezing point of many seeds is lower than that of water, around 22*F.

Anyway, this book covers all the basics and even some technical techniques.

https://www.homesteadingforum.org/threads/the-complete-guide-to-saving-seeds.1357/
Thanks! that sounds like a good book and I am adding it (and a couple of others to my library).

I prefer to have paper books because I expect when everything goes crazy the power and internet will be leading the charge into history.... Being able to reproduce seeds in a SHTF event or at least keep plants going season after season would be important.

Latest posts

Back