Seeds

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If they're growing that fast, I might start some next month in the greenhouse. My favorite cousin grew good sweetpotatoes this year, but bought the slips. So how to recut them?

In the video, when they were about 3' long he would find a leaf about the center of vine, He made a 45 degree cut above it (this was the new slip) and he placed that in the jar of water, it looked like he got about half a dozen slips off 1 sweet potato and he doubled them which seems like a lot of slips out of a single potato.

Easy enough. I keep bins of sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, squashes in the basement. They last a long time. I'll start some next month.
I think I'm good with seeds, after going through them. But all of them are a year plus old, so thinking about picking up some lettuce seed when I see it, since I have bad luck with old lettuce seed.

Got my Baker Creek order last night, I put it right into an ammo box and into the man cave fridge. 1 more ammo can an I will not have room for soda! But that was my last order. I think I could go for about 3 years without any trouble......

UrbanHunter, I started my sweet potatoes last year in the spring and used that method, it turned out fine! Just submerge them about half way in water and wait about 2-3 weeks for slips to form (sprouts), then separate them and grow them in water till they're a good couple inches long, then plant them. Not sure what your climate is like but they did great for me (in NJ). The ones I harvested in fall are already starting to sprout even without water and I'm worried they'll be too early.

Well today I had a lot of free time and I started expanding my spreadsheet to include when the plants should be mature enought to harvest. I then starting to estimate when to start planting the next cycle for the indoor plants and the seeds for my outdoor spring plants.
In the process, I looked at an online seed place to get the time to maturity in days for my plants, and I might have ordered more seeds including peanut seeds as there have been a lot of people talking about them on the site; so I figured what the heck... Anyway I have more seeds on the way.

I also ordered some pots for the wife's African Violets, in the process she gave me permission (bad thing) to order some wire shelving units to put her flowers next to our east windows, I might have ordered some extra with wheels for my indoor activities by accident. I might need a couple more growing containers myself soon.

I have had mixed results with penuts in my raised beds.

1)
Protect the young sprouts because the birds will force you to plant thrm again.

2)
They like sun.

My best crop from a 4x4 box yielded just enough for the granddaughters to learn they like them honey roasted as they depleated my seed stock for next year.

Someday I hope to get them figured out.

Ben

To start seeds we used outdoor xmas string lights in GH instead of very expensive seed warmer mats.Worked great,just put the trays on top of lights.

1609175668614.png

Just started some new to us seeds last week 'Midori Giant Soybean ' inside and they are doing great so far. I needto take out of freezer my Bakers Creek Gardens Alive ,and others, GardensAli tomatoes ,etc today and see if they are still ok, been froze for a few years now.

We started some seeds Sunday. We bought a few at Home Depot Friday, everyone was looking at us funny for even looking at seeds already, but I remember not being able to find some last year. If all goes well, the garden will grow by about 100 sq this year. And yes, I have already been out playing in the dirt. I need more dirt...I mean soil.

I need to order my seeds soon. Debating if I should buy more seeds because I already don't have room for all the ones I have, but then I look at seed catalogs and want more seeds. Has anyone tried growing sesame or peanuts? Are they worth getting?
Be aware that when penuts sprout the penuts you planter pop up out of the ground I birds will eat everyone.

I had replant all of mine the year I learned that.

Same for beans.

Ben

I never even thought about growing peanuts so I'm clueless about what's involved. It sounds like a great idea though so I'll take a look at what's available. I believe Spanish peanuts are most common in this region but, like I said, clueless. 😊

I heard that it's also best to roast peanuts for safety, since they might have a poisonous fungus or something? So I suppose I should look into that before I grow them

We've eaten the mraw too while picking out of garden but only grew them once here and that was at least 20 years ago.

I have to put the soy beans in a another pot they are very fast growers and busting out of peat pellets .I was just testing them to see how they did,all 8 sprouted. Have realy thick stems on them too.

Midori Giant Soybean

Description
90 days. This large, bright yellow soybean is considered one of the best edamame on the market. It is widely adapted in all regions of the US. Untreated, certified organic seed.
Related Products

I have to put the soy beans in a another pot they are very fast growers and busting out of peat pellets .I was just testing them to see how they did,all 8 sprouted. Have realy thick stems on them too.

Midori Giant Soybean

Description
90 days. This large, bright yellow soybean is considered one of the best edamame on the market. It is widely adapted in all regions of the US. Untreated, certified organic seed.
Related Products

Just put up for picture info, we bought them from Morgan County Seeds,not cheap for sure.

Latest posts

Back