Seeds!

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im a seed snob. What we don't save ourselves we buy from only 2 places fedco and bakercreek. They carry zero gmo seeds. Most are organic and a ton of heirloom. I like fedco especially because they are in maine and they test grow everything they sell. If you buy seeds from a store most likely you are supporting dupont or the devil Monsanto. Do the world a favor and go to either site or both and request a catalog.
https://www.rareseeds.com/
https://www.fedcoseeds.com/

We get seeds from all our plants. Everything is heirloom. The day may come when you can't buy seeds, or anything else, so learn to get your seeds from the plants you grow.

A simple pointer for you all. Mexico doesn't believe in GMO, nor grow anything GMO.
When you get vegetables that are marked Mexico, save the seeds, they are heirlooms.
Walmart sells tons of Mexican produce, and the wife planted lots of stuff this year using those seeds.

I have tried to save seeds and have not had much luck with it yet. I think it is an important thing to do.
My wife came up with her answer for saving seeds.
When she cleans the produce, she removes the seeds, and some inescapable pulp, and rinses them using a strainer.
She then spreads them on a paper towel.
She will use tape or just a pen, and write right on the paper towel what they are, and any pertinent descriptions.
When air dried, the seeds stick pretty well to the towels.
Then they either go into ziplocks, tupperware, or whatever she feels like storing them in.

When it comes time to plant, she'll just rip off a section of seed containing paper towel, and just plant it.

We just remove the seeds, clean them up and dry them on a towel. When dry I put them in an envelope (standard letter size) label what they are and the year they were harvested.
. We keep the seeds for five years. after that we throw them in the woods. If they grow we will collect some seeds for posterity. The cantaloupe we grew this year came from seeds we collected in 2013. We collected more from this crop. I store them in the paper envelope in the pantry.

Admitted seed addict here.

Love em.

I found a heirloom variety of blight resistant tomato called Sprint. It doesn't need staking and the description says it's cold tolerant.
Given the amount of blight in my tomatoes this last season I'm def. going to be planting these and put the blight resistant claim to the test.

We have so many saved seeds, but I'm such a sucker for trying new varieties. Can't get enough! lol

This year we won't be growing too much, if anything. We'll be spending our time developing our new property, getting fruit trees and brambles put in (among other things). I can't wait for those catalogs to come out!
:)

I decided to save more of the seed that we like. So far this year I have pepper, tomato, and peas. I still have a lot from 2 years ago, so we are going to plant some of them now as an experiment.

Latest posts

Back