Seeking Hunting

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck

Super Friend
Neighbor
Hello, I am new to this forum and looking to join a hunting club where I can learn to hunt deer with a bow or rifle and dress the animal. I live in the northern section of what has been aptly called the PRNJ (Peoples Republic of New Jersey). Is there anyone here who can point me in the right direction or offer tips for licensing in my state and finding a club that won't charge an arm and a leg? Thank you in advance!

Hello, I am new to this forum and looking to join a hunting club where I can learn to hunt deer with a bow or rifle and dress the animal. I live in the northern section of what has been aptly called the PRNJ (Peoples Republic of New Jersey). Is there anyone here who can point me in the right direction or offer tips for licensing in my state and finding a club that won't charge an arm and a leg? Thank you in advance!
I've actually never heard of a "hunting club" but we are out west so things might be a little different. Regardless, I would start with a gun club to learn hunter and gun safety before ever actually attempting to hunt an animal. You might get the NJ synopsis and read through that.
also.

OK......this is just my opinion.......if your interested in Prepping or Survival or both........stay the "Hell" out of the New Jersey woods during hunting season, double especially deer hunting season. This is advise from someone who was hunting deer in that area (but in PA. and NY) 65 years ago, and it was dangerous back then, it sure can't be safer today.

It requires near zero skill to kill a deer, and actually near zero skill to find a (NON-Trophy) deer to kill. The skills you need are the gutting and butchering, and that is basically the same for nearly all animals. That skill, field dressing, and butchering, and maybe quartering and back packing the meat, that could all be learned on any farm or ranch, or maybe taxidermy shop, as many "So Called Hunters" now days just shoot it and take it to someone else to process.

I do support you in your quest to learn this skillset. If you are hell'bent on going afield, then I strongly suggest doing it the last "FEW" days of the season, as there will be only 3% to 5% of the number of crazy hunters out there looking for anything that moves.

Last edited:
OK......this is just my opinion.......if your interested in Prepping or Survival or both........stay the "Hell" out of the New Jersey woods during hunting season, double especially deer hunting season. This is advise from someone who was hunting deer in that area (but in PA. and NY) 65 years ago, and it was dangerous back then, it sure can't be safer today.

It requires near zero skill to kill a deer, and actually near zero skill to find a (NON-Trophy) deer to kill. The skills you need are the gutting and butchering, and that is basically the same for nearly all animals. That skill, field dressing, and butchering, and maybe quartering and back packing the meat, that could all be learned on any farm or ranch, or maybe taxidermy shop, as many "So Called Hunters" now days just shoot it and take it to someone else to process.

I do support you in your quest to learn this skillset. If you are hell'bent on going afield, then I strongly suggest doing it the last "FEW" days of the season, as there will be only 3% to 5% of the number of crazy hunters out there looking for anything that moves.
Thank you!

Hey that's great man. A whole lot more to hunting than walking out n harvesting game. Goes a bit deeper for some of us. There's a lot to learn out there. From the plants around you n how to use them. To harvesting the game. To getting into shooting sports. And learning how to process your oun game, we make lots of custom sausages bacon burger n such. A great family project.
Most folks say that the hard part starts after the shot. Especially on big game. My suggestion is learn what you can, then get your hands into it. I got to learn how to do moose by myself.
Lots of hunter fisher trapper folks also agree that harvesting game is like the icing on the cake. And just being out is the best part. Also lots to do in the outdoors besides hunting.
Once hunters find a group it can be different getting in. They know n trust each other. My suggestion is to find a partner looking for a partner. Your state fish n game website should have some information on groups. Or if you call them they will know who the locals are n probably belong to them.
Hey good luck n have fun n stay safe. It can happen even in NJ

Breck no clubs are gonna teach you anything. Not the intent. It’s about sharing expenses.
Im not too far from you, I’m an archery instructor (for real bows,) hunter ed instructor, NWTF mentor.
if you want help deciphering some things pm me if you didn’t vote for Biden!
Be advised it’ll be up to you though and I’ll only help if you’re actually wanting to learn the old ways not toss bait and if you are willing to take your knowledge and help some kid somewhere, that has no one to help them down the road.

Latest posts

Back