Self sufficient with chickens?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@goshengirl We are still working on it. We’ve decided to just keep breeding the mealworms and not use them for feed just yet. We started with all new chicks in February so they're still just freeloaders. 🤣. Hopefully they will start laying soon. We plan to use egg production as the measure for the effectiveness of our feeding regimen.
Predation is an issue here as well so our chickens are in an enclosed coop with an enclosed yard. We put a good bit of wood mulch down in their yard so bugs still have somewhere to hide and reproduce hopefully. We just started putting down a sheet of cardboard in their yard hoping to attract more bugs.
We’re giving them unlimited access to feeder grower pellets (they’re only eating about a half pound a day) and giving them lots of garden and table scraps.
We’ve become victims of chicken math, we’ve ended up with 12 more than we really have room for when I discovered pullets on sale for $1 each at TractorSupply. You’d think we’d lose one or two but no, they’re all alive and well. We have another 17 chickens and 3 ducks coming in a couple weeks so we’ll be scurrying around building shelter.
It’s been a crazy Spring around here. We just got our first cows, planned on 3 but ended up with 4 and we’re still building fence. We doubled the size of the garden too. I was supposed to get off a homeschool board I serve on next month but stayed to get a few big projects off the ground and running I really want to see happen. I love everything we’re doing but we definitely could’ve spread things out a little better.

Latest posts

Back