• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Homesteading & Country Living and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Selling my long-term food storage

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tortminder

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
My wife has decided she wants a divorce. I must sell the house and liquidate my survival stuff and long-term food storage.
I am located in Hollister MO and have quite a selection of #10 long-term freeze dried foods as well as bulk rice, black beans and hard red wheat.
All sold material must be picked up in Hollister MO, (no delivery/shipping).
I paid an average of $20 per can on the meat products/ around $15 per can on the rest. I certainly don't expect to recoup my investment, but I will not give the stuff away for pennies.
There will also be camping/survival equipment in following postings.
Wise persons prepare, (luckily I am in my later 70's so not so much of a future).
See pictures.
IMG_20220618_152643515.jpg
IMG_20220618_152639138_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220618_152546803.jpg
IMG_20220618_152554700_HDR.jpg

My wife has decided she wants a divorce. I must sell the house and liquidate my survival stuff and long-term food storage.
I am located in Hollister MO and have quite a selection of #10 long-term freeze dried foods as well as bulk rice, black beans and hard red wheat.
All sold material must be picked up in Hollister MO, (no delivery/shipping).
I paid an average of $20 per can on the meat products/ around $15 per can on the rest. I certainly don't expect to recoup my investment, but I will not give the stuff away for pennies.
There will also be camping/survival equipment in following postings.
Wise persons prepare, (luckily I am in my later 70's so not so much of a future).
See pictures.
View attachment 88241 View attachment 88242 View attachment 88244View attachment 88243
Could you please share an inventory of what you are selling and the expiration dates.

That is a long haul for me but if my wife is game...

Ben

Could you please share an inventory of what you are selling and the expiration dates.

That is a long haul for me but if my wife is game...

Ben
Ben it will take a while to put the list together. Most expiration dates are at least 15 years out. I will keep you guys posted.

Last edited:
Do a search of comparable values....that is what is anyone willing to pay for old storage food. Probably not a whole lot since most people are still asleep and it would be to much "bother" for others.
So if the value is nill or very low (at least legally, what goes on the divorce papers to be split up) either donate it to a rescue shelter or local food bank or have a yard sale and advertise "guns, old jewlery, baby things" and if people show up tell them the guns all sold but those cans of food are a buck apiece. If you willl be homelwess and starve without some money from this stored food hen go ahead and fight out a messy court battle. I have been thru a bad divorce and the best thing I did was move on. By the way my friend got remarried at 83 to a rich lady.
Also a interesting movie is that old one with nicolas cage I think was called lord of war.
check this trailer out at about 54 sec in. How to get rid of stuff.

Last edited:
Do a search of comparable values....that is what is anyone willing to pay for old storage food. Probably not a whole lot since most people are still asleep and it would be to much "bother" for others.
So if the value is nill or very low (at least legally, what goes on the divorce papers to be split up) either donate it to a rescue shelter or local food bank or have a yard sale and advertise "guns, old jewlery, baby things" and if people show up tell them the guns all sold but those cans of food are a buck apiece. If you willl be homelwess and starve without some money from this stored food hen go ahead and fight out a messy court battle. I have been thru a bad divorce and the best thing I did was move on. By the way my friend got remarried at 83 to a rich lady.
Also a interesting movie is that old one with nicolas cage I think was called lord of war.
check this trailer out at about 54 sec in. How to get rid of stuff.

Thank you for your encouraging response. /sarcasm off

I need 4 days of 6hrs driving with three nights in hotels plus a truck rental ( not going to Chance my 22 year old pickup)and gas to get there and back again. Just the logistical cost will price me out of a reasonable offer.

I can guess that you don't want to pack and ship.

Q
Would PODS be a solution?

@Amish Heart , didn't you use PODS in your move?

Ben

I need 4 days of 6hrs driving with three nights in hotels plus a truck rental ( not going to Chance my 22 year old pickup)and gas to get there and back again. Just the logistical cost will price me out of a reasonable offer.

I can guess that you don't want to pack and ship.

Q
Would PODS be a solution?

@Amish Heart , didn't you use PODS in your move?

Ben
I understand that the distance makes it impossible for your to be involved. I did post in the original message; "Pickup in Hollister, MO, no delivery no shipping.

I have had five or six folks within 2 hours drive express interest and I am in process of doing a complete inventory which I will post when it is finished.

There will also be some survival/camping gear posted for sale.

Geiger counter 01.jpg
Geiger counter 02.jpg

Old school Geiger counter c. 1960's takes 4 "D" cell batteries, still works $25

I thank everybody for their prayers, good thoughts and interest.

I assume no interest in shipping gear either?
If it's small enough and you want to pay cost of shipping & packaging I would consider it.

Honestly I don't understand why you can not keep at least half of it? So you were the only prepper in the family and had no influence on your wife's beliefs? She "put up with it" when it would benefit her, so why not now?? It makes no sense in my world. Except she is more into $$ versus survival?? THAT is just freckling crazy from what I have been seeing. Hunny and I have both come from a divorced marriage. He had to deal with a lot more than I ever had to.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this @Tortminder

Honestly I don't understand why you can not keep at least half of it? So you were the only prepper in the family and had no influence on your wife's beliefs? She "put up with it" when it would benefit her, so why not now?? It makes no sense in my world. Except she is more into $$ versus survival?? THAT is just freckling crazy from what I have been seeing. Hunny and I have both come from a divorced marriage. He had to deal with a lot more than I ever had to.

I am so sorry you are dealing with this @Tortminder
I can guess that lawyers want a cut in dollars and not LTS food.

Ben

It's my reality of having gone thru a divorce and also helping other people who have had to go thru a nasty divorce orchestrated by a psychotic spouse and a lawyer with no scruples who continually changed the playing field and made the guys life hell on earth. The people I have seen that made it thru the best are the ones that didn't necessarily forgive and forget but they did walk away and didn't let the mind games and losses follow them.
Another thing as far as shipping, I have used "U ship it" to good effect. people will be delivering a boat or trailer somewhere and they have the back of a pickup that they want to fill up with paying goods. I was just at our local "costco" box store and they had large sturdy totes for less than $9. Each would hold quite a few #10 cans. One "can" would pay for the tote and one or two cans would probably pay for the shipping. Same guy picks it up that delivers it.

Back