Sending Military care packages overseas - advice?

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angie_nrs

Awesome Friend
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
I want to send a care package to a military service member overseas. I don't know anyone personally. I just want to send a generic care package to someone overseas, just so show some love. There isn't a USO near me so I just started doing some web searches and came across Any Soldier Inc. It seems like a legit site. Has anyone used it?
http://anysailor.com/index.cfm

One of the things I like about this site is that soldiers provide recommendations on things they would like to receive, even though I'm sure any package would be appreciated. I would like to send some non-perishable comfort foods, socks, hygiene products, local newspaper, gum, thank you note, etc....in addition to their requests.

If anyone has sent a package, how did you go about doing it? Any suggestions from folks who have already done this (sent care packages overseas) would be appreciated.

We have used sites like that with good results. If we knew anyone that was deployed or knew someone who had a friend deployed we sent the package to an individual. Some companies have special packages, pricing, or freight for orders going to servicemen overseas. These care packages get shared so send as big a box as you can.

Little toys, light weight and unbreakable, like Beanie Babies, are a big hit. Some soldiers keep them but others throw them in an outside pocket o patrol and hand them to the kids.

I'd guess that you have a good option. If you know someone with a friend that is deployed get their address and use your site for reference material. If that doesn't work for you call the local National Guard or perhaps the VFW. You have plenty of options and resources.

We would send things to son in law. Jersey, pepperoni and 5 lb bags of jolly ranchers. Baby wipes are a big thing if showers are not readily available.

I want to send a care package to a military service member overseas. I don't know anyone personally. I just want to send a generic care package to someone overseas, just so show some love. There isn't a USO near me so I just started doing some web searches and came across Any Soldier Inc. It seems like a legit site. Has anyone used it?
http://anysailor.com/index.cfm

One of the things I like about this site is that soldiers provide recommendations on things they would like to receive, even though I'm sure any package would be appreciated. I would like to send some non-perishable comfort foods, socks, hygiene products, local newspaper, gum, thank you note, etc....in addition to their requests.

If anyone has sent a package, how did you go about doing it? Any suggestions from folks who have already done this (sent care packages overseas) would be appreciated.

IMO that is a great site. I have sent packages and letters to a few there in Mosul a few years ago. I put up the site quite often.

We just sent them regular mail but maybe a better way,not sure.

As a guy that has been on the receiving end of care packages I can tell you they are just about the best thing to receive. They made my day, along with all my buddies that got in on the goodies. I did have one problem. My dad sent a 6 pack of beer along with other stuff and the Navy takes a dim view of that. I made sure all of the evidence was gone by the time the shop supervisor sprang a surprise locker inspection. We all knew he would just as soon as we found out he knew.
At one time you could send a package addressed to any soldier or sailor but that is not possible now due to security issue.

IMO that is a great site. I have sent packages and letters to a few there in Mosul a few years ago. I put up the site quite often.

We just sent them regular mail but maybe a better way,not sure.

Awesome! I've found some good reviews online about it's legitimacy, but having confirmation here makes me feel better.....so Thank you! I'm wondering if flat rate packages from the postal service include overseas packages. I kinda doubt it but I'll be finding out soon enough.

As a guy that has been on the receiving end of care packages I can tell you they are just about the best thing to receive.

That's exactly what I'm going for! If I can put a small smile on ONE service persons face, it'll all be worth it. I think this is probably the easiest and most cost effective way to really reach out and make someone's day......especially to someone who is protecting my right to freedom! I'm reluctant to contribute to non-local charity b/c I don't know exactly where that money is going and how it's used, so I figure this would be a great alternative to that dilemma.

I have a feeling this might be an addictive new hobby I've stumbled in to. Now I'll have some other things in mind when I wander down clearance isles. If I see somthing I think would be a nice addition to a care package, I'll scoop it up. From the limited amount I have read online, the cost of shipping can be the most expensive part.

Awesome! I've found some good reviews online about it's legitimacy, but having confirmation here makes me feel better.....so Thank you! I'm wondering if flat rate packages from the postal service include overseas packages. I kinda doubt it but I'll be finding out soon enough.

That's exactly what I'm going for! If I can put a small smile on ONE service persons face, it'll all be worth it. I think this is probably the easiest and most cost effective way to really reach out and make someone's day......especially to someone who is protecting my right to freedom! I'm reluctant to contribute to non-local charity b/c I don't know exactly where that money is going and how it's used, so I figure this would be a great alternative to that dilemma.

I have a feeling this might be an addictive new hobby I've stumbled in to. Now I'll have some other things in mind when I wander down clearance isles. If I see somthing I think would be a nice addition to a care package, I'll scoop it up. From the limited amount I have read online, the cost of shipping can be the most expensive part.

Shipping cost is ridiculous. Some also enjoy magazines from home. Heli Pilots ask fro little toys and wrapped candy to throw out in fly overs to the kids. We got them really cheap at Dollar Stores. Chapstick is really in demand too.

I'll be talking to the lady at the post office late next week and see what she has to say. I took at peek at the international flat rate boxes and the large ones (which aren't really very big) were just under $100. I don't know if I get a solid address and give it to her if she could recommend another mode of shipment to decrease the price. I wouldn't really care how long it took to get there since I won't be packing anything that will spoil so maybe 3rd class mail or something might be cheaper. I'll update when I get more information. In the meantime, I have some shopping to do in order to start filling some boxes.

Just wanted to update: I sent my first package to Afghanistan!!!:woo hoo:

I just checked my tracking and it was successfully delivered. It was a bit of work and research to get that first package put together and sent out, but hopefully it will get easier the more I do it. Thanks so much for those links Backlash. They were very helpful. On the bottom of one of those links someone posted about shipthrifty. I haven't tried that yet, but I will look into it after I send a couple more packages via USPS. Here is the link for that if anyone is interested.
https://www.shipthrifty.com/
If anyone has used that site, please post. I'd love to hear about it.

Heres a quick rundown of what I did:

I went to the link that backlash provided and ordered free shipping supplies from USPS. You have to set up an account to place the order, but it was free. It took almost a week to get the package. The small boxes and anything else that I won't use, I will take to my local PO so they can use them there, since I'm only going to ship the large boxes. I also picked up some large boxes there too, but it was nice to get the tape, labels, and form holders. However, they did not ship the customs lables as stated in the link.....I'm not sure why, but my local PO gave me the customs form-2976-R and it was delivered according to my tracking number.
https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/military-care-kit-P_MILITARYKIT

I bought a lot of general merchandise for packages such as socks, Q tips, lara bars, candy, pens, pencils, activity books, stationary, toothpaste, wet wipes, chap stick, super glue, gum, deodorant, microwave popcorn, microwave dessert cups, sunflower seeds, nuts, etc. Basically anything that was on sale and could ship overseas, I bought. I used small packages of gummy type candy to use for tight packing instead of packing peanuts or air bags. I figured I might as well use ALL the space in the box. I put the items into piles of like things such as food, writing supplies, hygiene products, etc. and weighed them seperately and listed them on line 2 of the Customs form-2976 that I got from the post office and got a rough estimation of the costs of those items (since that has to be put on the form as well).

I went to anysoldier.com and got the address of a soldier to send my package to. The site is a little glitchy for me, but it's probably b/c I have slow internet. Many of the soldiers there have posted the things they would really like to receive. Some don't. It's kinda fun clicking thru them and deciding who you want to send the package to.
http://anysoldier.com/WhereToSend/

It cost me $18.45 to send a large package (11 pounds) to Afghanistan. I thought that was pretty reasonable. I was able to stuff about $50 worth of merchandise into the box. I will keep a keen eye out on closeout and clearance deals in the future and keep a stock of stuff on hand so I can send out boxes and it won't be too costly, but I'm sure still very much appreciated. Last week there was a good deal on Colgate toothpaste at .69 for a large tube. I bought about 20 of them. The cashier called me the toothpaste lady. She flashed a nice smile when I told her why I was buying so much.:D

I also keep in mind that many of these soldiers like to get things that they can give to people living in the area, especially children. With that in mind I did stock up on crayons, colored pencils, and activity books last week with back to school sales. I included some of those things with the first box I sent out as well. So hopefully, I made the day of not only our troops, but some of the native folks as well. You just never know what goodwill can do. It makes my heart smile.:heart:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back