SERIOUSLY.........What is a "Standard Screw" Light Bulb.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
Maybe I should be asking what is a "NON"-standard screw light bulb.....???

There are smaller sizes for chandeliers etc.

Stunned that I did not know that........even if I have never-ever purchased a light bulb for a chandelier. Actually don't think I have ever lived where there was a chandelier.

There are various light bulb screw-in bases, the standard is E26.

1623347247358.png

And, there are various bulb shapes and sizes. Standard is A21.
1623347415647.png

I ran into this about 15 years ago... I bought a mirror for my bathroom vanity. It had a row of light bulbs across the top. The fist time I needed a new bulb... bought the wrong one twice... Had to take the bulb to the store to find the right size. Now I don't hesitate, just take the bulb on my first trip to the store, only way to be sure I get the right one.

So how does someone identify the receptacle for the bulb. I only have "one" light in my small shack/cabin and it is a 3-way lamp that I have owned for near 50 years and replaced the receptacle (portion/assembly) twice in that time, it is ready for a next receptacle replacement before winter.

I ran into this about 15 years ago... I bought a mirror for my bathroom vanity. It had a row of light bulbs across the top. The fist time I needed a new bulb... bought the wrong one twice... Had to take the bulb to the store to find the right size. Now I don't hesitate, just take the bulb on my first trip to the store, only way to be sure I get the right one.

Being that I can't go to a store, and worse is everything comes from Amazon.com and believe it or not it is actually even worse "Yet".........as I have not way to return the wrong or damaged purchases. But I keep reminding myself that a small price must be paid to live in "paradise".

So how does someone identify the receptacle for the bulb. I only have "one" light in my small shack/cabin and it is a 3-way lamp that I have owned for near 50 years and replaced the receptacle (portion/assembly) twice in that time, it is ready for a next receptacle replacement before winter.
Lamp sockets sellers will generally identify the socket the same way as the bulb that will fit into it. What I have seen is that lamp sockets for the standard American light bulb will be identified as either "medium base" or "E26 base."

For instance: Medium Base Sockets | B&P Lamp Supply

I used to make birch lamps for sale at arts & crafts festivals.
1623352063108.jpeg

May I suggest an alternative lamp that works great? I found these lamps as cataracts started to become an issue me. Even though it’s no longer an issue I still think these lamps are the best thing since sliced bread.

I have two, one on my end table next to my chair, another clamped to my kitchen table. It’s a magnifier lamp, has two lenses a 5x and a small 20x. A small lid on hinges can cover the magnifier when not in use. They are great for reading anything with small print. I’m always tinkering with something in the house and use my kitchen table a lot, sharpening knives etc.

The lamp had 5 power settings (brightness), uses almost no power because its led lighting. I leave my lamps on low but on occasions have need of a brighter light. I can move it to almost any angle or out of the way. They come in several colors, mine are white. One has been running almost continually 4 years now. I'll never buy another regular lamp.

At night I only leave the one on my kitchen table turned on as my living rm and kitchen aren't separated. But if I need more light…

Lamp (21)a.jpg

Last edited:
Being that I can't go to a store, and worse is everything comes from Amazon.com and believe it or not it is actually even worse "Yet".........as I have not way to return the wrong or damaged purchases. But I keep reminding myself that a small price must be paid to live in "paradise".
I can go to stores but anything more than Dollar General or Food Lion is an hour drive one way so I seldom do. I order a lot of stuff 90+% and it's cheaper than driving to get it. Better yet I don't have to deal with idiots in person. Ebay is a lifesaver for me! Amazon after ebay is my preference.

May I suggest an alternative lamp that works great? I found these lamps as cataracts started to become an issue me. Even though it’s no longer an issue I still think these lamps are the best thing since sliced bread.

I have two, one on my end table next to my chair, another clamped to my kitchen table. It’s a magnifier lamp, has two lenses a 5x and a small 20x. A small lid on hinges can cover the magnifier when not in use. They are great for reading anything with small print. I’m always tinkering with something in the house and use my kitchen table a lot, sharpening knives etc.

The lamp had 5 power settings (brightness), uses almost no power because its led lighting. I leave my lamps on low but on occasions have need of a brighter light. I can move it to almost any angle or out of the way. They come in several colors, mine are white. One has been running almost continually 4 years now. I'll never buy another regular lamp.

At night I only leave the one on my kitchen table turned on as my living rm and kitchen aren't separated. But if I need more light…

View attachment 67943

Good suggestion...........But my Tiny shack/cabin has power served by an extension cord. My one lamp has to "attempt" (and fails) to light the entire 11'X23' space. This was only intended as a temporary dwelling......however.....been living in this shack for 23 years now. The real Giggle is the land is worth a bit under a million dollars.

I get confounded when I try to find light bulbs like you could find for almost a dime a dozen a decade ago, and now it’s all expensive bulbs that claim to last longer and uses less electricity. But you end up replacing them at twice the rate of the old bulbs.

Fortunately, I do have a good stash of the old school 60 and 75 watt bulbs. I know I have a few of the old three way bulbs stashed away.

Latest posts

Back