Severe "PAIN MEDICATION" education requested.

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sourdough

"Eleutheromaniac"
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
In a cabin, on a mountain, in "Wilderness" Alaska.
So........I am wishing to see a list of "all" medications for pain, listed in descending order, with clear identification of those requiring a prescription vs. over the counter.

This would be for my "Trauma Kit" and non-trauma needs post SHTF.
Would be good to also know which are best for long-term storage.

(I had this solved when I was an active Commercial Bush Pilot) Those day are over.

Aspirin, Ibuprofen, and Tylenol are legal to carry as long as they are in their original containers. Prescription drugs with their labels intact and are prescribed for you by a doctor are legal. Some herbal meds are legal in some areas and not in others so you have to be careful about those.

Due to the legal risk of carrying narcotics without prescriptions, I won't even go there. I do carry something like the below for topical pain relief, and something also for topical dental pain. 800 mg ibuprofen is also a good dose for pain relief. When I have had post surgical pain I declined opioids and took 800 mg ibuprofen and did fine. Unless you need its for severe trauma, long bone fractures, end of life care for certain conditions, etc, opioids are overprescribed and overrated, IMHO.

Due to the legal risk of carrying narcotics without prescriptions, I won't even go there. I do carry something like the below for topical pain relief, and something also for topical dental pain. 800 mg ibuprofen is also a good dose for pain relief. When I have had post surgical pain I declined opioids and took 800 mg ibuprofen and did fine. Unless you need its for severe trauma, long bone fractures, end of life care for certain conditions, etc, opioids are overprescribed and overrated, IMHO.

I had 19 teeth pulled at one go and the 800mg ibuprofen did dine for pain.

Ben

This is a handy chart of what to take for specific pain.
I know a guy that was severely injured, his doctor prescribed 80mg of opioids a day. He was a total wreck. Couldn't function, he sat in his chair all day every day, he couldn't think clearly and his personality changed into a raving a hole. He started taking medical MJ and after a few months was completely off the opioids and back to his normal self.
Medical Marijuana is legal in Washington and you can grow your own with the proper paperwork. I am going to get my wife a permit. CBD has helped her pain a lot but it's expensive so I want to grow my own for her.
Obviously, if it is illegal where you live don't do it.

Attachments

• Medicine chart.png
    Medicine chart.png
    64.8 KB · Views: 26
I had 19 teeth pulled at one go and the 800mg ibuprofen did dine for pain.

Ben

Yes, I am a fan of 800mg of ibuprofen for almost all severe pain needs.

So I have this coming......... Amazon.com: Amazon Basic Care Extra Strength Pain Relief, Acetaminophen Caplets, 500 mg, White, 500 Count (Pack of 1): Health & Personal Care

What I want to know is this the best, are there seven things OTC that are better, I just want to make the decision based on knowing what is available, not on peoples thoughts "Well this should be good enough, till you go to the ER". People can't grasp there is no ER, no EMT, no one is going to save you when alone in the Alaska wilderness. You got what ever medical supplies you brought, and have whatever first aid knowledge you also brought........That is all you have to work with.

I think that people simply can't grasp my lifestyle. I am always alone in the wilderness, I see only marginal value of my packing a "Trauma Kit", only to end up killing myself because of pain. No one knows where I am in the wilderness when I leave the cabin........but far worse is no one would know I was gone, or had not returned for months.

I am "NOT" questing to be in possession of drugs I should not have.........I am looking to understand what is more powerful then the next thing. For a trauma kit, in a airplane crash, laying and waiting for days, is severe pain I am thinking you would "Not" want some middle of the scale pain medication.

Last edited:
my elderly father fell and cracked a few things, nothing broken tho. his doc wanted to give him some pain meds but dad doesnt like taking them. his doctor told him to try taking one ibuprophen plus one extra strength tylenol, dad said it worked very well for him.

im a believer in medical mj, used right it works great. when the cbd content is equal to the thc content there is no buzz, just pain relief. there are so many different recipes for different types of pain, or cancer or seizures, etc, all pretty easy to make. i could not survive without the oil recipe for fibromyalgia/nerve pain. in CO its legal to grow a couple plants so i make my own oils, tinctures, salves and cbd. im grateful as id not be able to afford to buy the stuff.

also adding---walmart has this lidicain cream its Equate brand 4% for about $5 and it works pretty durn good for topical pain relief. worth getting some, ive found it very handy and recommend it,

So I have this coming......... Amazon.com: Amazon Basic Care Extra Strength Pain Relief, Acetaminophen Caplets, 500 mg, White, 500 Count (Pack of 1): Health & Personal Care

What I want to know is this the best, are there seven things OTC that are better, I just want to make the decision based on knowing what is available, not on peoples thoughts "Well this should be good enough, till you go to the ER". People can't grasp there is no ER, no EMT, no one is going to save you when alone in the Alaska wilderness. You got what ever medical supplies you brought, and have whatever first aid knowledge you also brought........That is all you have to work with.

I think that people simply can't grasp my lifestyle. I am always alone in the wilderness, I see only marginal value of my packing a "Trauma Kit", only to end up killing myself because of pain. No one knows where I am in the wilderness when I leave the cabin........but far worse is no one would know I was gone, or had not returned for months.

I am "NOT" questing to be in possession of drugs I should not have.........I am looking to understand what is more powerful then the next thing. For a trauma kit, in a airplane crash, laying and waiting for days, is severe pain I am thinking you would "Not" want some middle of the scale pain medication.

I am NOT a physician, but I have worked in the health sector for 3 plus decades and at one time was an EMT and a combat medic. 800mg ibuprofen is a much better severe pain relief trauma related pain than acetaminophen (Tylenol). The 5% lidocaine is also pretty effective topical pain relief.

Jazzy talked about CBD, and all of my relevant combat medic and EMT experience is pre CBD craze. That said, CBD did provide very effective pain relief for my previous dog who suffered with cancer his last 2 months of life. I was super impressed with what it did for him, but I have no idea of how it would work with significant trauma. My recollection is that CBD took a couple days before it was fully effective.

Anything stronger than 800 mg of ibuprofen self administered for trauma when you are alone in a harsh environment with animals that want you for dinner, or when its -30F, likely will simply be comfort meds to make your passing more pleasant. IMHO. And ibuprofen at 800mg is about as effective as any oxycontin or similar pill, IMHO. The stronger stuff I am talking about is morphine, and I would rather have the ibuprofen with my wits about me than morphine self administered trying to survive on my own. I'd pack the ibuprofen and lidocaine.

Last edited:
So how does, Acetaminophen Caplets, 500 mg, compare to 800mg ibuprofen.

This is the type thing I want to fully understand. Which is stronger, which is safer, which acts fastest.

CBD isn't something you would take if you need fast pain relief. My wife uses different CBD things. Creams for her arthritis in her hands, candies to help with her other pains and to help her sleep. She does not smoke MJ but I believe it would help her even more effectively if she did.
Yesterday she took a pill that was prescribed for he stomach pain. She was supposed to take it at bedtime. She took it in the morning and was out the rest of the day. Won't be doing that again.
For any severe pain, I take ibuprofen, usually 500mg.

From the replies, it looks like 800mg of Ibuprofen is the pain drug of choice.

So how does, Acetaminophen Caplets, 500 mg, compare to 800mg ibuprofen.

This is the type thing I want to fully understand. Which is stronger, which is safer, which acts fastest.

Backlash posted this earlier, and I would agree with it. With 800mg, you will need to scarf down a protein bar or whatever food you have on you.

1626382906353.png

CBD isn't something you would take if you need fast pain relief. My wife uses different CBD things. Creams for her arthritis in her hands, candies to help with her other pains and to help her sleep. She does not smoke MJ but I believe it would help her even more effectively if she did.
Yesterday she took a pill that was prescribed for he stomach pain. She was supposed to take it at bedtime. She took it in the morning and was out the rest of the day. Won't be doing that again.
For any severe pain, I take ibuprofen, usually 500mg.

From the replies, it looks like 800mg of Ibuprofen is the pain drug of choice.

ihave to agree. i do know some people who rely on CBD oil for things like calming, to pain relief to sleep help--ive not found it helpful for pain relief---but then, thats me i have a couple of friends who swear by it, it just didnt do that for me. that doesnt mean it wont help someone else, everyone is different. i did try smoking pot in college and yes, i coness, i did inhale but never really liked it. just didnt care for it.

it wasnt until i developed firbomyalgia and then later cancer i i found a use for it. worked damn good--just got to find the right recipe and ratio balance. the more cbd in the strain to balance the thc--there is no buzz or high to interfere with ones daily life.

None of those should be taken for the long term. They attack the liver and kidneys with the exception of aspirin. Aspirin can cause stomach ulcers.
I have a very high pain threshold and a high pain tolerance. The only Nsaid that I can take is aspirin. Tylenol will give me a severe headache.
Pain scale runs from 1 to 10. You can typically smile up to 4 and it becomes difficult to smile up to 7. Above 7 and to 9 tears flow and at 10 you are contemplating ways to end the pain. I have dealt with pain that had me on the floor crawling and sobbing in exhaustion described as 14. For the last 20 years I have had continuous pain from 6 to 8. I was placed on Methadone by the pain clinic for three years until I took myself off the drug. I still had pain that broke out through the methadone. I now take only aspirin and some days - not often - I have a quick beer for a muscle relaxer. Some days my eyes leak and I lose any sense of humor. I get over it. Sometimes I have to let the pain out, let it take over so I can examine it and surrender. That allows me to put it back in its box and deal with it as I prefer.
I know I am not alone. There are at least two others on this board that I know of and empathize with their daily ordeal. I know there are some that have it worse than I and they are my heroes. I have rare days that I can smile and joke - those are the ones I try to remember. I try to forget the two days I had a shotgun in my mouth. I'm doing ok today at 6-7 I can force a smile or my eyes start leaking but it isn't too bad.
None of those medications does much for my pain. If they work for you I'm glad. Nobody should have pain govern what they can do.
God bless you all!

Hey SheepDog I'll say a prayer for you.
Folks should consult their doctor. Taking prescription medication has risk. So does pain management and quality of life. It's a balance. Underlying conditions can require long term pain medication. Only doctors who understand your body should be prescribing.
There is strong support in the medical industry for smoking or using pot as an option. Including just getting a buzz to get your mind off the pain
I like to be able to identify the plants in our area for medical uses. I also like to get out for a couple months at a wack so it's what you got. So doing your best to stay cool is probably my best advice.
I often think about what it would be like to be climbing over a dead fall n fall in a mud hole with a broken leg. Nobody knowing where I'm at other than at the cabin. Usually no phone. I've got fire starter and a lifestraw couple protien bars 6x6 visqueen n some cord. FAK with blood stopper n paper towels. Ain't a nice cozy feeling. But getting out there feels great. As you know.
And for folks like SheepDog, don't give up your dreams !
I know easier said than done. For me living on my wins, when it kinda gets really old not being able to do the things we did. Heck you did them ! And you always have a chance for a smile.
Severe pain, in a remote situation. Trying to stay calm and knowing how to use whats around you is your best first choice.

Last edited:
If you’re taking painkillers over several days, consider alternating ibuprofen and acetaminophen to lower the risk of side effects.

In some situations (extreme pain, high fever), you can "leap frog" your doses between two different kinds of pain meds, so that you are taking one or the other every 3 or 4 hours instead of one drug every 6 to 8 hours.

For example, if you take acetaminophen at noon, you take ibuprofen at 3 PM and then acetaminophen again at 6 PM and ibuprofen again at 9 PM. This is good only as a temporary (3 or 4 days) measure for critical care of fever and pain management.

After the initial critical point is subsiding, you can still alternate the meds but spaced further apart. Here is the benefit:

https://www.health.harvard.edu/drugs-and-medications/using-nonprescription-pain-relievers-safely
Alternating two types of over-the-counter drugs can relieve pain while reducing the risk of serious side effects.
If you're in a drugstore trying to decide which over-the-counter pain reliever to buy, there are scores of products from which to choose. But there really are only two basic types: nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs), which include aspirin, ibuprofen (Motrin, Advil), and naproxen (Aleve, Naprosyn); or acetaminophen (Tylenol). If you want to maximize pain relief and minimize side effects, you might want to stock up on both types.

no clinical info, but if you want to know what drugs members have used for pain and would recommend... I did okay with Tramadol (it is an opioid) after surgery and for a few days, and have used Tylenol #3 (with codeine).
A doctor swore I'd get addicted to the Tylenol #3 when I requested that instead of the other newer pain meds, but having used it before once a month for a couple of days as needed, off and on for years, I know it was not an addictive drug for me. I went without prescription since he wouldn't give me T#3. I also have a high tolerance for pain.
I have used the oxycontin/hydrocodone family and hate them, very addictive whether you swear you'll never get addicted to something or not, it will prove most of us wrong. Used them post-surgical it was fine, next time...no.
I don't know about shelf-lives of pharmaceuticals.

When I look at the lists and think about my past days (I went for my first 30 years with no health insurance) and the one pain that just can't be ignored is a tooth ache.... I have bad teeth and can remember having to go a while before I could get treatment. I learned that BABY Orajel was about as good as it got... Yep, I would want a tube of that in my kit... (Don't ask me why but the adult stuff couldn't hold a candle to the baby stuff)

I found the I could put it on a stick of gum, pack it around the offending tooth and I was good for hours, but don't share your doctored gum with your friends because they will freak out when their mouth goes numb..... Don't ask me how I know... ;)

Edit... Apparently the old stuff is no longer available (with out a prescription), what they sell now is non-medicated, dang the old stuff would numb you mouth better the swabs at the dentist office....... I should have known that if it works: they will regulate it... :(

Last edited:
I trust my "Primary Care Person" she advised me (2) Two Tylenol 500mg. per 24 hour period, preferably at least eight hours apart, present no risk to my liver or kidneys. And that above that dosage is where there is likely to be problems.

For my back I was put on the oxy- hydro drugs. when they failed I was put on methadone. I won't be taking any of those again by choice. all of the nsaids except aspirin give me massive headaches and Tylenol gives me headaches just as bad. I have had Tramadol but I get just as much relief as I do with aspirin. So I use aspirin - don't need to see the doctor every other month and it's cheep. I will not go back to the pain clinic because they are the folks that put me on methadone.

AKlogcabin - thanks for the prayers but I'm sure there are others that need them more than I. I will accept them - nobody can get too much prayer - but the Lord and I have a good relationship. He has been good to me and I could have been paralyzed instead of the moderate pain I deal with. He always watches out for me.

I have some limited experience with cannabis for pain management as well as another “not so well known” natural treatment. Several years ago I was trampled by a bull I was trying to load. I had to see a orthopedic surgeon about my knee. The conclusion was that surgery would help me but at my age I would never be pain free, either from the surgery or age/injury related cartilage damage. Basically, pain management was the best solution.

I got a surprise when the surgeon suggest a treatment he used along with his father. Cinnamon tea with honey (only Ceylon cinnamon). It worked very well for me, I still use it on occasion to this day. The down side… stopping a few times a day to make tea was impracticable during hay season or if I were loading or moving cattle. Some days I was left to hobble around with my walking stick doing the best I could.

About this same time a good friend was badly injured on a job site. He worked for a commercial roofing company. They were putting new roofs on an old high school campus to be repurposed as an elementary school. A section of roof he was standing on collapsed. He broke his neck, his back(2 places), right shoulder, sternum and 11 ribs. To this day he hasn’t been able to return to work.

After a month in the hospital (several surgeries for pins and plates) he was sent home so doped up on codeine based pain relievers he was a drooling idiot. Just trying to cook for himself he set is kitchen on fire twice and once scalded himself so badly he ended up in hospital again.

Cannabis was the answer. A lady brought him “something” in a spray bottle. I talked to her myself and found that it was a basic 1:2 volume alcohol tincture of cannabis. Lavender was used to give it a pleasant scent.

It was sprayed on topically, being alcohol based the alcohol evaporated with in seconds. Simply spray it on the affected area. It only took about 10minutes to take full effect and lasted about an hour and a half. It was very effective at dulling the kind of pain he was in. He took himself off the prescribed pain relievers immediately. Of course there were days or times when he needed to reach for the pill bottle but he was no longer in danger of burning his house down.

I acquired some tincture to use on my knee. It worked great. I had a prescription of 800mg Motrin… I never needed to take another one. When at home, with time, I made cinnamon tea. When to busy I used the cannabis spray. To this day I keep cinnamon bark, honey and cannabis spray in my med kits.

Nature has other excellent pain relievers. I keep lobilia tincture around, its an antispasmodic and as effective as flexeril. With the added benefit of not putting me to sleep. At different occasions, going back years, I’ve had major muscle injuries for which flexeril was prescribed. It always knocked me out. It’s now been years since I’ve taken a one.

@UrbanHunter The Tooth Ache Tree Got your tooth ache covered...

Thank you both. I am humbled.

Latest posts

Back