Sewing face masks for medical professionals

Homesteading & Country Living Forum

Help Support Homesteading & Country Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patchouli

Gatekeeper
Staff member
Neighbor
HCL Supporter
Even though they are not N95 or even going to completely block germs, etc. the medical people are asking for donations of home made cotton or linen masks since they don't have enough medical grade masks. A few people are saying that even the elastic you could use in producing these masks has become hard to come by.

Has anyone here thought about helping out with sewing masks to donate? Even people who have compromised immune systems cannot find the masks they need for when they have to go to the doctor's office or out shopping, etc. This includes children, those with cancer, those receiving chemo, the elderly, and everything in between.
The masks don't block viruses, but they are better than nothing.
Remember the old days when N95 didn't exist and just thin paper masks or cloth masks were used by hospital staff?
There are quite a few websites with patterns and suggestions of where you can donate to.
I'm just sayin'. I'm still working so an abundance of time and energy is not on my hands, but I do plan to do what I can to help out.
Maybe we can check base here with one another and share patterns, sewing tips, fabric ideas, etc.

Our local doctor offices are asking for help from people who can sew to start making mask. They will be able to free up the much needed N95 mask and be used in other areas of the clinics and hospitals with the non infectious patients. I know for me, I have plenty of spa re fabric laying found since I am one who always buys a little extra just in case.

This is the link I found that shows a video of how to.

https://www.courierpress.com/story/...public-provide-medical-face-masks/2865273001/

Last edited:
Things are ok right now. I have been doing the overnight shifts at the grocery store trying to stay away from the mass crowds and restock the shelves that get wiped out during the day. The panic buying is still here but it has been tapering down some. Also trying to get the garden in, but I am only about half way through now. Hunny s doctor appointment in the BIG city have been cancelled due to the fact they can't get their hands on the drugs needed. Guess it's a good thing it is not a life and death situation for him. . . Just a trying to improve his quality of life right now.

I have signed up to sew some. There is someone coordinating a project in my area. They originally asked for 200 people to sew 2,000 masks by Wednesday, March 25. When I tried to sign-up, I got put on the wait list, along with 500 others. A few hours later I received an email to let me know they needed more. My guess is that they responded to everyone on the wait list. Fortunately for me, I can drop them off at a private home about 2 miles from home. It will be my first drive in more than a week.

This is the pattern that is being requested for this project. I have printed out a couple of others, but will use this one. Dr. Prepper suggested that we make masks with elastic over the ears for ease of putting on or taking off, and this pattern is asking for bias tape on the side for tying them on.

https://operationwecansewit.com/wp-...03/We-Can-Sew-It-Mask-Pattern-2.20.20-v61.pdf

Last edited:
Also, a friend said she is using lycra fabric (like what is used to make swimsuits) instead of the elastic. You cut the lycra fabric lengthwise in strips to use for tying on the mask. It doesn't unravel, and it rolls into itself so you don't even really have to sew the edges.
I would think you could configure it somehow so it's not a tie-on, but a slip it over the head...?

facemask fabric.JPG

Can you copy and paste the Power Point? That's some fabric. Do you know what it is?
I tried that a few times. I snipped these pages, 3-11.

I did get word that I will be getting some of this fabric. He is asking that people use it for making masks to donate to hospitals. I will.
Provident St. Joseph, page 1.JPG

Attachments

• Provident St. Joseph, page 2.JPG
    Provident St. Joseph, page 2.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 40
  • Provident St. Joseph, page 3.JPG
    Provident St. Joseph, page 3.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 46
  • Provident St. Joseph, page 4.JPG
    Provident St. Joseph, page 4.JPG
    76.6 KB · Views: 51
  • Provident St. Joseph, page 5.JPG
    Provident St. Joseph, page 5.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Provident St. Joseph, page 6.JPG
    Provident St. Joseph, page 6.JPG
    57.6 KB · Views: 44
  • Provident St. Joseph, page 7.JPG
    Provident St. Joseph, page 7.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Provident St. Joseph, page 8.JPG
    Provident St. Joseph, page 8.JPG
    61.3 KB · Views: 47
  • Provident St. Joseph, page 9.JPG
    Provident St. Joseph, page 9.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 1585409049864.png
    1585409049864.png
    271.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Update. Will be over a month till the first roll of elastic arrives from CHINA. Not happy that wasn’t said on the listing. Found a USA seller who got two rolls out the next day On amazon. Started cutting the pieces already out of fabric. ‘N95” fabric will be here Wednesday as well as the two rolls of elastic.
for those that have gotten their pattern from craft passion check back. She’s updated ways to use it and the patterns themselves. Added a Man size also.

I wanted to share what I was told the standard is for fabric face masks (according to a nurse at our local hospital).

The outer layer needs to be quilters cotton (any color or pattern but 100% cotton) with fusible non woven interfacing on the inside. Inner layer needs to be 100% cotton knit jersey or flannel fabric. An inner pocket to hold a filter pad is a must.

I thought this was interesting since I was going to add a layer of interfacing to keep the masks 'crisp'.

Also a good idea for a face shield could be one attached to a hat.

Back